Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] After playing the beta will you buy / not buy?

DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Thank you, Blizzard, for giving all of us the opportunity to catch a glimpse before the game releases.

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Still contemplating... I find the game fun and I know when it is releasing but I'm on a budget and I think I'll like GW2 more. not sure which I want to get at this point, gonna see if I can get into a GW2 weekend before deciding.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Contemplating myself as well. As of now I won't buy it. I think I need to hear more from long term testers / players about what gameplay, character development, challenge and maps are like later in the game and at higher difficuly settings.

If character development offers little choice throughout the game and maps stay linear, corridor like, I think I wont.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by DarkPony

Contemplating myself as well. As of now I won't buy it. I think I need to hear more from long term testers / players about what gameplay, character development, challenge and maps are like later in the game and at higher difficuly settings.

If character development offers little choice throughout the game and maps stay linear, corridor like, I think I wont.

I'm with you on this one. It's not grabbing me enough to buy it yet. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Will not buy.

Not like I ever was going to in the first place though, I only play MMO's and Diablo is not an MMO.  Now on the other hand, if Blizzard's titan project turned into a Diablo MMO with the same loot structure and 3rd person instead of top down I would play in a heartbeat.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

So far, the beta has left me kind of wondering where all the development time and budget has gone.

I'm in the  '... don't know if I will buy it yet'   vote.      After so many years, I expected more than what I saw in the couple hours today.   The game seems dated and it isn't even released yet.  Not a good sign.  I am so far unimpressed, but I'm curious where it goes from here and how its post release plays out.   

*edit*

Aww hell, at the risk of being lit on fire I'll say what's on my mind...

Diablo 3 = Blizzard's  Duke Nukem Forever 

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by DarkPony

sounds like we read the same review.. i've been in two minds for quite a while on diablo3, that its been given away free to people who sub to wow for a year wasnt exactly a huge endorsement either, even if cash wasnt a bit tight though, i think i'd still be waiting to see what happens with GW2 before deciding whether or not to buy this one, too many things red flagged it for me i think. But even if GW2 turns out to be the worst game in history (Unlikely!) im still not sure i'd buy Diablo3...image

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I preordered the game ages ago so I am definitely getting it even though the damn beta client gives an error half way through the download and then when I restart it's stuck on updating game files.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Not a fan of the series to begin with, but i played them all..

No. i wont be buying it. for reasons being..

1.Its been in development for like 10 years right? expected much more.
    2.60$US (god knows how much its gona be marked up in Australia) for a game that looks and plays like 10 year old one.
    3.Just did not grab me, I believe there just was not enough passion put into it like the old games. - has no soul

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

If I weren't getting it for free, I would most likely not have even thought about it.  It's not my usual 'type' of game (more a Civ/HOMM type of gamer)  I'm also not beta'ing this weekend, since I'm not interested in 'stress testing' :D

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Originally posted by Mellkor

3.Just did not grab me, I believe there just was not enough passion put into it like the old games. - has no soul

What games have soul?

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I appreciate the chance to play this early, but I'm certainly not going to buy it. It wouldn't be a bad deal to get it for free if I was interested in playing another year of WoW, but I'm not. I simply can't justify the money for something that felt tired after less than thirty minutes.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

[quote]Originally posted by Aori

Not a fan of the series to begin with, but i played them all..
    No. i wont be buying it. for reasons being..

1.Its been in development for like 10 years right? expected much more.
    2.60$US (god knows how much its gona be marked up in Australia) for a game that looks and plays like 10 year old one.

1. Yes and no, it has been remade roughly 5 times. Blizzard norths creation was ended in 2005 and remade since. 
    2. It is expensive.. but it seems to be the path PC games are going.. matching consoles. Also there was no game 10 years ago that comes close to the graphics D3 has now.. be a bit more realistic. 
    3. Music has soul, you can hear and feel it, it makes your body quiver and shake, you can become electrified and move. Video games don't have soul, they may have some blood sweat and tears but no soul. I've never played a game and thought wow this has soul.. cool.

Did you really have to deconstruct my opinions?

there was no game 10 years ago that comes close to the graphics D3 has now.. be a bit more realistic.
    You have got to be joking?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by jusomdude

Still contemplating... I find the game fun and I know when it is releasing but I'm on a budget and I think I'll like GW2 more. not sure which I want to get at this point, gonna see if I can get into a GW2 weekend before deciding.

Depends on your preference.

Diablo 3 you devote bits of your life at a tiome if you so desire while GW2 you usually have to devote a chunk at a time. They are different genres. 

Diablo 3 will have a starter edition(free), i believe it limits you to level 20 and is a bit more extensive than the beta is. Also Diablo3 will never drop in price unless a retailer is purging stock.

GW2 as far as i know won't have a trial at launch and the price will eventually drop at the very least much sooner than D3.

I say wait for the D3 launch and play the starter version if you're getting antsy.

I didn't know there was gonna be a starter edition.  I hope it releases with the game at launch, then I can at least level some characters and keep them if I want to buy it.

I know GW2 and Diablo3 are different genres, but those are the 2 games I'm interested in right now and can't buy them both, so I have to decide between em. I might just wait 'til GW2 drops in price, and go with Diablo 3.

Originally posted by Arcona

What games have soul?

Wastelander II seems to be a current example.
    They're sticking to their vision even through no commercial funding publishing.
    They went out to the community because the believed in their product.
    They apparently would not compromise features (ie making a fps instead)

Diablo III screams money grab in my opinion. Because i Believe they think the can just do the bare minimum and profit because of the past franchise success.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It's no Diablo 2, and I feel like I'd rather play Path of Exile which is a better value too (free).

dp

What games have soul?

Diablo III screams money grab in my opinion. Because i Believe they think the can just do the bare minimum and profit because of the past franchise success.

Oh yes because a money grabber would hang onto the bait for 10 years before releasing a product with the bare minimums.. seriously? If they were out to profit off the franchises success we'd have Diablo 5 LoDx3 now. Sorry but blizzard products usually get you the best bang for your buck. Look at SC1, Warcraft RTS and Diablo2.. they are still updated and slightly cared for even now. No extra dime paid in 10 years for those games.

Don't think so. WOW's success didn't really provide an incentive to keep churning out new and better (as well as non-subbed) games for Blizz, to say the least. Why compete with yourself?

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by jusomdude

One is simple Hack and Slash small group multiplayer game very, very limited, other full fledge TRIPLE AAA MMORPG with thousends of hours to explore and PVP with hundreds of players seems NOBRAINER to me witch will give alot more fun for your hard earned cash:)

What games have soul?

For example Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thats clearly made by gamers who love there own product.

What games have soul?

Oh yes because a money grabber would hang onto the bait for 10 years before releasing a product with the bare minimums.. seriously? If they were out to profit off the franchises success we'd have Diablo 5 LoDx3 now. Sorry but blizzard products usually get you the best bang for your buck. Look at SC1, Warcraft RTS and Diablo2.. they are still updated and slightly cared for even now. No extra dime paid in 10 years for those games.

Just to reiterate what i said before, its taken them like 10 years (doest matter how many builds they went though) and the result still looks like shit.

They could of done this work in 2 years. what have they been doing all this time.

Sorry but blizzard products usually get you the best bang for your buck.
    Thats very opinionated. and a lot of other companies have signed on for extended support.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Based on what I can play in the beta, I am ABSOLUTELY buying this game! My cousin and I played Diablo 3 for a long ass time, and have both been excited for Diablo 3 since it was announced, and we played it for the first time today and were both impressed.

The game is polished and runs smooth as hell, combat is fun and addictive,story is pretty good, as well as the loot/gear system, the blacksmith/crafting and the quick and easy switching between single player and multiplayer.

It's a damn good game so far, and they've done better with it than I expected.

I was, however, expecting at least SOME character customization, not just picking a class and name and going just like the original two games, but the variety of gear, the skill setup and rune system do enough to make your character seem somewhat unique after the initial startup and the higher level you get.

I've been playing the beta off and on for about 6 hours now, and earning achievements, joining public games, and trying out multiple classes, and now I can't wait for May 15th to get here, dammit.

What games have soul?

All tho i agree on most your saying here about those IP. But you clearly can see that BLIZZARD have change of past 10 years specially after WoW and i can see why people say now that blizzard have become a money grabbing company bringing games on market that have no soul no love but just to make them more money D3 is so limited its pure for making money no freedom at all. TL2 is made for true fans D3 is not.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Been playing beta for a few months already and I'll definitely grab the game at launch. It's not Diablo 2.5 but that doesn't automatically make it bad, just different. God knows there are other upcoming H&S games out there for variety's sake, whether it's Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

*snipages*

Either way a money grab isn't something that takes 10 years, 2 dev teams and several remakes to achieve.

Aye, I wouldn't call it a money grab either.

But I am willing to bet that D3 would have been released 5 years ago had it not been for WoW: their main cash cow which sucked up a lot of development talent and effort throughout the years. Regardless of the question to what extent the target groups overlap.

But yeah, I too am disappointed in the result. D2 was an all-time classic for me, yet they chose to take out a few of the (to me) crucial aspects that made the typical hack & slash gameplay interesting: having a wide choice (and control) in character development and a world which does its best to hide the linearity (with random maps and more open zones).

... I can't fathom why on earth they though it was a good idea to dumb those two aspects down. It really amazes me. The only reason I can possibly think of is to make D3 more different than WOW.

i.e. marketing peoples at the helm instructing developers that they have to design a game which is different enough to not compete with WOW. "With D3 we attempt to cater for a broader audience, yada, yada ..."

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

yeh ill buy it 

but im not  sure if i would buy it  for  more than the £18 i pre ordered it at

ive played roughly 3 hours  so far  and found it fun 

im kinda looking at it   being a break from gw2   so when both are out and i need a change i can  switch from one to another 

ive stoped playing as i dont want to ruin the game , when it comes  out

but given a choice between the two gw2 and diablo 3 ,I would probably still go for gw2 even though i haven't even played  gw2

i just have  a feeling gw2 will be  alot  better and offer a lot more