Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kingdoms of Amalur > Diablo 3?

GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

So I've been playing the Diablo 3 beta. Graphics are fine, detailed and nicely made with a nice style mainly. Gameplay is as expected but feels very retro in 2012. Talent trees are too simplistic. Gameplay for me is awful, boring and repetitive.

Diablo 2 was great in its day. This feels like a straight port, but simpler, and apart from the graphics and production values, it feels worse to actually play.

The main thing however is that I think the "point" of Diablo 3 is something that Kingdoms of Amalur does better, namely the hack-and-slash-and-loot.

I simply feel more connected with the world of Amalur, and the pacing of combat is actually better. The classes in Diablo are kind of bad really, they are less imaginative versions of themselves if you know what I mean.

Granted, Amalur is cartoony and cheerful (bleh) while Diablo 3 is dark and much cooler, but gameplay wise Amalur feels better., and although it lacks the "continuation of all things diablo" that people have been waiting for, it does have enough of its own that frankly I think it is a better game.

Maybe I'm just disappointed with D3. I don't think the format has aged as well as many think. Games and gamers have moved on since the days of Diablo 2, and nostalgia alone can't really elevate the experience for me.

Anyway, flame on.

Comments

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Greyhooff

So I've been playing the Diablo 3 beta. Graphics are fine, detailed and nicely made with a nice style mainly. Gameplay is as expected but feels very retro in 2012. Talent trees are too simplistic. Gameplay for me is awful, boring and repetitive.

Diablo 2 was great in its day. This feels like a straight port, but simpler, and apart from the graphics and production values, it feels worse to actually play.

The main thing however is that I think the "point" of Diablo 3 is something that Kingdoms of Amalur does better, namely the hack-and-slash-and-loot.

I simply feel more connected with the world of Amalur, and the pacing of combat is actually better. The classes in Diablo are kind of bad really, they are less imaginative versions of themselves if you know what I mean.

Granted, Amalur is cartoony and cheerful (bleh) while Diablo 3 is dark and much cooler, but gameplay wise Amalur feels better., and although it lacks the "continuation of all things diablo" that people have been waiting for, it does have enough of its own that frankly I think it is a better game.

Maybe I'm just disappointed with D3. I don't think the format has aged as well as many think. Games and gamers have moved on since the days of Diablo 2, and nostalgia alone can't really elevate the experience for me.

Anyway, flame on.

You should try "Path of Exile". Diablo 3 is kiddy-land in terms of artstyle compared to Path of Exile.

Not to mention the MASSIVE passive skill tree, the "Gem" socketed skill system, and the "Barter" trade system make Path of Exile an all around better Action-RPG than Diablo 3.

Literally, POE is a better successor to Diablo 2 than 3, in my opinion, and I'm a hardcore fan of Diablo 1 & 2. Heck, we even still do LAN parties for Diablo 1 & 2 to see who can reach Diablo first :]! (we form teams)

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    Played both, IMO amalur is better. Offers more to the player, the gameplay is deeper too. Plus for the story and graphics were more to my liking. I mean at least amalur has a few plot twists.

Sic Luceat Lux

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

amalur has no replayability, it's a great game but when you are done you are done.

PoE, art  STYLE does not = art, or good graphics.  The animations and actual assets are piss poor.  combat flow in PoE is utter crap compared to D3.

• nateslonateslo Member UncommonPosts: 49

What i've found from the D3 beta is that the gameplay gets more enjoyable as your character levels up. Also I've found that I like some characters much more than others in terms of gameplay. They all have their individual feel and style. Additionally, this is still a beta, the rest of the game is not released yet, so it is very hard to say which is better because we cannot play the entire thing. 

So... if you have only played a few characters for a few hours, I would say that you haven't gotten the whole feel yet. Even if you have played them all to max level, it's only beta max level, there are more skills and content yet to be released. Just my opinion, it may be an issue of personal taste.  

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

The second half of Amalur isn't even playable because you can literally win by leaving your keyboard and going afk for 5 minutes vs anything.

On hard mode.

No one balanced their game.

No one.

It's impossible that someone balanced their game and it's as bad as it is after level 15.

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by Greyhooff

Anyway, flame on.

You should try "Path of Exile". Diablo 3 is kiddy-land in terms of artstyle compared to Path of Exile.

Not to mention the MASSIVE passive skill tree, the "Gem" socketed skill system, and the "Barter" trade system make Path of Exile an all around better Action-RPG than Diablo 3.

Literally, POE is a better successor to Diablo 2 than 3, in my opinion, and I'm a hardcore fan of Diablo 1 & 2. Heck, we even still do LAN parties for Diablo 1 & 2 to see who can reach Diablo first :]! (we form teams)

POE is shaping up to be a pretty sweet game.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

amalur. hands down. just played the beta for d3 today, and there's not much there. waaay too mindless, even for me.

• KoukikidKoukikid Member Posts: 28

KoA is not multiplayer so no thank you. And to the people that think D3 beta is boring or mindless really... You are playing up to the first boss in Act 1 on normal difficulty. You guys have no clue how hard Inferno mode is going to be let alone in the higher acts. So i would hold off on the mindless/boring comments at least till release when you are running Inferno runs. But whatever to each their own.

And yeah PoE is alright very good for a F2P game but thats all it will be to me. Lacks a few things for me personally.

Originally posted by atticusbc

amalur. hands down. just played the beta for d3 today, and there's not much there. waaay too mindless, even for me.

You wouldn't say that if youd' actually played Amalur. And I know you haven't played Amalur, because no one's played Amalur, because it's not playable.

Let me reiterate.

You can literally win by not playing.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

KOA was no challenge whatsoever. Boring!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Mephster

you played D3? i have. played 'em both as of today. koa's harder. by a long shot.

EDIT: to aori: PoE is decent. helluva lot better than D3. you taste determines whether it's better than KoA. i think of them about the same, though with KoA having the lead. but yeah. it's basically D2 with new graphics. and a hilarious skill tree.

and speaking of which: D2 is better than any of these three. people should just go play that for their hack'n'slash fix.

Originally posted by atticusbc

Originally posted by Mephster

you played D3? i have. played 'em both as of today. koa's harder. by a long shot.

EDIT: to aori: PoE is decent. helluva lot better than D3. you taste determines whether it's better than KoA. i think of them about the same, though with KoA having the lead. but yeah. it's basically D2 with new graphics. and a hilarious skill tree.

and speaking of which: D2 is better than any of these three. people should just go play that for their hack'n'slash fix.

If you play 3 hours of KoA and D3, then yes.

If you play 5 hours of KoA and D3 you will have a MUCH different opinion.

You're talking from ignorance.