Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZOMG so much fun.

WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402

Gah, I'm the biggest MMO game hopper ever, and I've played them all (SEED anyone?, Ryzom, everything). i can't stay with a game more than a few weeks, but I've been playing TERA beta since CBT1 and I really think it has hooked me for the first time in a persistent way. OBT is even more difficult and fast-paced than I remember, and it's invigorating picking up the new slayer playstyle as opposed to my archer.  And the game just gets more intense and exciting as you play even farther (highest level was 30).

The game atmosphere is just so gorgeous and vibrant. The way you characters move makes them seem truly alive and badass when they are taking an enemy three times their size. This game is great and doesn't get boring even after weeks of not playing. If the company can keep coming up with new content, I think they have a long-lasting classic on their hands.

I pre-purchased GW2 as well because I plan on playing both (I know, your mind is blown). No reason not to have one p2p game and one f2p game, especially when they really are very different. Not sure about D3...not too happy about the auction house thing and it just doesn't seem very fresh. 

I urge everyone to at least try this game during Open Beta weekend. Most of you--I'm sure--won't regret it.

P.S. play your favorite exercise/techno/pop music while you play. Linkin Park + TERA = AMAZING.

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I would like to know how you or anyone can fathom the god awful UI?FFXIV took a ton of heat for this exact same problem.This game needs MUCH more than just aiming for the mouse and i cannot stand using WASD.Arrows work but no way i'm hitting any F keys from there.

Last i checked i only have two hands,one on keyboard for movement ,other for mouse,how am i to hit F keys?Stop moving is the only way.

I uninstalled the game after on 15 minutes i saw too many things early on that won't go well with me.The graphics reminded me of the current trend of cheap,one great big blue hue of color.All i saw was nothing to fight just a pile of players scurring about brandishing their skills for no reason other than they can lol.The start area was overwhelmingly crowded and the game uses total block,so if 20 players surround you cannot move and the camera does not move well to allow you a good viewpoint.

I just could not imagine me playing with that poor UI,so i didn't even bother to see if the game offers anything aside from the obvious questing and pvp.The item imbuing or whatever it was called seemed to much like the korean type gaming +1..+2 ..+3 ect   ect.

Bottom line is it looks too much like same old and i would not enjoy pvp with that awful targetting needing 3 hands idea.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

snip

Seriously how can you not hit the F key while moving? Q,E,R,F,C,V,Z have been hotkeys for me since I first started raiding in WoW years and years ago. Everything around your movement keys makes for extremely easy key binding abilities even while moving, unless you somehow need 4 fingers on 3 movement keys all at the same time...

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

So you dont use W,A,S,D as a computer gamer....you know they have controller support if by some chance you are not a computer gamer, all MMO's use W,A,S,D. well maybe not ALL but near 90% at least.

• StyleGamingStyleGaming Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Wizardry

I would like to know how you or anyone can fathom the god awful UI?FFXIV took a ton of heat for this exact same problem.This game needs MUCH more than just aiming for the mouse and i cannot stand using WASD.Arrows work but no way i'm hitting any F keys from there.

Last i checked i only have two hands,one on keyboard for movement ,other for mouse,how am i to hit F keys?Stop moving is the only way.

I uninstalled the game after on 15 minutes i saw too many things early on that won't go well with me.The graphics reminded me of the current trend of cheap,one great big blue hue of color.All i saw was nothing to fight just a pile of players scurring about brandishing their skills for no reason other than they can lol.The start area was overwhelmingly crowded and the game uses total block,so if 20 players surround you cannot move and the camera does not move well to allow you a good viewpoint.

I just could not imagine me playing with that poor UI,so i didn't even bother to see if the game offers anything aside from the obvious questing and pvp.The item imbuing or whatever it was called seemed to much like the korean type gaming +1..+2 ..+3 ect   ect.

Bottom line is it looks too much like same old and i would not enjoy pvp with that awful targetting needing 3 hands idea.

This made me lol. You sir must not have much MMO experience.  And poor UI? You can customize EVERYTHING, from release.. They are already further ahead than SW:TOR that has been out for how long now? Just goes to show this game does take some kind of intelligence and MMO knowledge to play. 

- http://www.youtube.com/user/myfreestylegaming

AC>EQ>War>EVE>AoC>Aion>SWTOR>FireFall>Tera/GW2

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

hmmm, well I love the interfact but then again I use a razer naga and pretty much have all the buttons right there. Having said that, many skills are part of chain skills and those can be accessed with the space bar.

I believe you can remap the keys. I know in many instances you can.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

No idea why anyone would gripe about keyboard controls when you can remap everything... I don't use the F Keys, I changed them to Shift+1/2/3/4/5/6 etc..

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I guess his 15 minutes were not long enough for him to figure out that he could have rebinded those keys.  Seriously the UI is clean, minimual, and just fine like it is....except maybe resizing the chat Font  :p

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

In Tera most combat animations require you to stop moving, so there isn't a problem. (and for the rest of us, there's the Razer Naga) image

Different style of combat that many people can't get used to.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I was playing it until it just crashed. Gonna go back in and try and give it its fair due, but so far I'm not enjoying it.

1) Visually (and I know this is subjective) it looks like Aion, which is not a plus to me. Don't get me wrong, the game is beautiful, it's more the art style I'm talking about.

2) The questing is standard MMO fair except you have to go back and kill the same mobs multiple times for different quests. I'm hoping this changes.

3) IDK what I was expecting, but the combat doesn't do much for me (yet). Sure, I have no tab target, fine. But what I do have is being rooted for every attack that I make.

Again, I'm really early in the beta, it's my first time playing, and I'm trying to reserve judgment.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• SandaStunnaSandaStunna Member Posts: 101

wizardry...so, you're saying this game actually require some skills?

sweet.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

Originally posted by Charlizzard

I was playing it until it just crashed. Gonna go back in and try and give it its fair due, but so far I'm not enjoying it.

1) Visually (and I know this is subjective) it looks like Aion, which is not a plus to me. Don't get me wrong, the game is beautiful, it's more the art style I'm talking about.

2) The questing is standard MMO fair except you have to go back and kill the same mobs multiple times for different quests. I'm hoping this changes.

3) IDK what I was expecting, but the combat doesn't do much for me (yet). Sure, I have no tab target, fine. But what I do have is being rooted for every attack that I make.

Again, I'm really early in the beta, it's my first time playing, and I'm trying to reserve judgment.

I honestly had the same issue with the stop action movement for a bit, until I started thinking about what it would be like if it was free form movement. It would be a lot easier to kill mobs, and tactics would matter less. I appreciate the skill requirement it has.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Setting up an account: 5 minutes

Downloading the game: 2 hours, 10 minutes, 35 seconds

Creating a character: 7 minutes

Playing a game for 15 minutes but spending the same amount of time ranting about it on a forum? Priceless

Made for the laughs but c'mon Wizardry. I've seen you around this site for years, you know how to work MMOs my friend. If TERA is indeed a tough gig to work then maybe it's not as typical as you say.

You know you could have come to these forums to ask questions but instead you post that? It seems like you have an agenda but maybe TERA just isn't your thing. Sorry you didn't like it.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by WizGamer

Gah, I'm the biggest MMO game hopper ever, and I've played them all (SEED anyone?, Ryzom, everything). i can't stay with a game more than a few weeks, but I've been playing TERA beta since CBT1 and I really think it has hooked me for the first time in a persistent way. OBT is even more difficult and fast-paced than I remember, and it's invigorating picking up the new slayer playstyle as opposed to my archer.  And the game just gets more intense and exciting as you play even farther (highest level was 30).

The game atmosphere is just so gorgeous and vibrant. The way you characters move makes them seem truly alive and badass when they are taking an enemy three times their size. This game is great and doesn't get boring even after weeks of not playing. If the company can keep coming up with new content, I think they have a long-lasting classic on their hands.

I pre-purchased GW2 as well because I plan on playing both (I know, your mind is blown). No reason not to have one p2p game and one f2p game, especially when they really are very different. Not sure about D3...not too happy about the auction house thing and it just doesn't seem very fresh. 

I urge everyone to at least try this game during Open Beta weekend. Most of you--I'm sure--won't regret it.

P.S. play your favorite exercise/techno/pop music while you play. Linkin Park + TERA = AMAZING.

Here, Here! I applaud your excitement. I just hit Level 12 and playing a Priest. Haven't grouped much so cannot comment on the healers abilities in a group. I may try a melee class as I still have till Monday to decide what's best. Yesterday, the perorders were playing and today the free open betas came on board., major difference in attitude. General chat was a little more aggrevated then yesterday. However, there is a health population online and hopefully they will get passed the Island starting area and see how cool this game really is. What a sleeper game, never expected it.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Play style seems fine.  It is the art choices for some of the races that I can not get into.  I am not that hugh of a fan of the fantasy anime art style.  Other than that part seems fine enough.

For those watching at home the UI is very basic and minimalistic. The good thing is that you can scale and move all the pieces around individually. If you watch a handful of YouTube videos you can see many different configurations.

Aside from modifying the keybindings you can also make your own "chains" with your skills. There are some chains already programmed by default such as Warrior: Rain of Blows > Roll > AoE. When you do one skill the next in your chain is shown and can be activated by the spacebar. You are allowed to set up your own chains in case you have a preferred sequence you use a lot.

A multi button mouse is recommended for most people. Since your mouse is freely aiming you can't use it to click skills, those have to be done by keybindings. You're moving with WASD however so doing both simultaneously might be tricky since free movement is very important. You can use autorun to help take the burdon off your key hand since there is full collision but your milage may vary depending on how comfortable that is.

I would love to have a G700 or Naga but currently I have a seven button generic Logitec keyboard/mouse.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i love the game so far but i see how someone without a gaming mouse would have serious problems.

i have a gaming mouse (naga) and i have no issues with it.  if i didnt have one i'd either play on a controller or else bite the bullet and grab a gamng mouse.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

For those watching at home the UI is very basic and minimalistic. The good thing is that you can scale and move all the pieces around individually. If you watch a handful of YouTube videos you can see many different configurations.

Aside from modifying the keybindings you can also make your own "chains" with your skills. There are some chains already programmed by default such as Warrior: Rain of Blows > Roll > AoE. When you do one skill the next in your chain is shown and can be activated by the spacebar. You are allowed to set up your own chains in case you have a preferred sequence you use a lot.

A multi button mouse is recommended for most people. Since your mouse is freely aiming you can't use it to click skills, those have to be done by keybindings. You're moving with WASD however so doing both simultaneously might be tricky since free movement is very important. You can use autorun to help take the burdon off your key hand since there is full collision but your milage may vary depending on how comfortable that is.

I would love to have a G700 or Naga but currently I have a seven button generic Logitec keyboard/mouse.

thanks for the tip on chains, never knew that. 

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 156

I only played for couple hours today, but for some reason I have the same feeling I had with Aion and SWTOR. Blah. I'll try again tomorrow.

Originally posted by Arkinia

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

thanks for the tip on chains, never knew that. 

No problem.  I have not played with the chains myself but here is a video where two sorcs are discussing how get a better rotation going (some expletives):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C2v2bLI28M 

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by itchmon

i love the game so far but i see how someone without a gaming mouse would have serious problems.

Yep, I must confess that I'd be lost without my G700. With G700 +1-6 + QE + shift as modifier, I can map all skills at least till lvl 38 :p

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

to OP: I did as same as you^^ Ill be playing both GW2 & TERA too :)

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I had a bash at this today, spent around 5 or 6 hours in it & levelled a 12 Mystic.

I found combat most enjoyable with my 360 styled controller, once I'd figured out how to set it up & customise it combat flowed very nicely.

The thing I found a let down was the numbing blandness of the quests, thankfully none were too drawn out & grindy to add more apathy to them.

Some of the cut-scene dialogue I found incredibly cheesy, but that's typical of translated games & while it's quite good in some places in others it's nails down chalkboard stuff to me.

Overall impressions, fun game, how long that fun would last I guess depends upon how interesting the higher content goes in terms of combat mechanics being expanded upon, I'd doubt the questing gets much more involving so the combat really has to suffice in holding interest.

The graphics don't agree with me, I'm not a fan of the asian style at the best of times as in almost every MMO out of that region the graphics are too clean & look plastic to me, artificially pretty. The lolicon styled females only add to the dislike. I like my fantasy to look dirty where it should, beaten up where it needs to be & grimy where it makes sense, this title much like it's contemporaries looks like an operating theater it's so clean & shiny, the aesthetic just jars.

That said this is far & away more enjoyable to play than about 99% of the asian games I've tried before, the pace is quite good, monster design is very creative, levelling seemed smooth (hopefully the dreaded ultra-grind doesn't kick in later on), tempted to buy it but the thing that's holding me back from a purchase?

Frogster (EU)...damn!

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by Skuz

Frogster (EU)...damn!

How can I blame you? It's so true... this company is driving me crazy, it looks like they are in way over their heads.

And to add to this in NA they have this shiny new EME that looks so damn perfect... I envy them so much :p

P.S.: I can tell you this,if you like it at level 12, you'll love it after you'll fight your first BAM ;)

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I dont reckon I've felt this enthusiastic for a MMO since UI first played UO back in 2001.

I had forgotten what that feeling was like, when you just have to get back in and play, because you are loving it so much.

I'm hooked (and its a good thing).

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Originally posted by WizardryI uninstalled the game after on 15 minutes i saw too many things early on that won't go well with me.The graphics reminded me of the current trend of cheap,one great big blue hue of color.All i saw was nothing to fight just a pile of players scurring about brandishing their skills for no reason other than they can lol.The start area was overwhelmingly crowded and the game uses total block,so if 20 players surround you cannot move and the camera does not move well to allow you a good viewpoint.

Now I probably won't end up playing this game after this weekend due to the quest/grind makeup. I will say combat is good.

But you judging the game from the prelude and not even getting a 1/4 way through is brilliant. In the prelude what they do that I like is make you level 20 for a short time so you can actually play the characters some to see how "they will be!". Now this is a great idea. So when you saw people fire their stuff off, it's because they were seeing what the chars do, simple as that and SMART. But you wouldn't know, you were in a bummer mood and whatever was being put in front of you then was going to be poo poo'd. I only say that because I've been there to, just how we work.

The UI isn't bad, it doesn't remember remapped keys, which is a bother. Also for that starter area you were in, we were getting 15-25 fps, which wasn't bad as there were litterly a couple hundred people in the screen, many other games go under 5 there.

That giant hue of Blue? Only in the prologue, you have a non-tinted rainbow of colors for may hours after that 20 minute romp.

Yes you can't walk through people, again a prologue only issue that I can see, my father got stuck in it for maybe 20 seconds once. Almost refreshing, since you can't walk through people, sometimes you have to wait. That said, I recall a sporting event I was at, got stuck in the crowd, was so pissed I couldn't ghost them, police saw me, arrested me as unruley, I tried, I tried to explain to them this sucks, why can't I ghost them? They then asked me for a drug test. Which I passed, I'm just high on MMO's, still barely legal in the US of A.