Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Cryptic's Dark Horse Rising

1234568»

Comments

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by Scot

The fact it will be f2p is a cause for concern not joy. That the game has seen a switch to 'MMO' from being a social hub game is also cause for concern. You don't just change the fundamental architecture of a game with the wave of a wand.

The three classes are just one of the things which point to how this game was designed before they decided to call themselves a MMO. I say decided because it takes more then proclaiming yourself to be a proper MMO and doing a design makeover to be one.

NWN has had a long and illustrious history, players should realise this new game is its own beast and judge it as such.

This comments would bare a lot more weight if  we were not in the real world. In the context of what is actually going on, the change to being an MMO has pushed the game back about a year from original release date.  It is also being developed by a company that has relaeased three MMO's and funded by a company who has released more, so they're probably well familiar (certainly much more familiar than you or me or 99.99% of the readers of these forums) on what such a change would entail.

• CopenhagenCopenhagen Member UncommonPosts: 57

Another F2P game in the hands of PWI, Oh I can't wait!  Let me get my credit card ready for the lucky boxes now!

[insert sarcasam here]

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by Lobotomist

This is exactly the problem that mostly killed dnd as video game franchise.

For some insane reason known only to retarded investors they insist taking deeply tactical pen and paper game (with bigger fan base than starwars) and making it dumbed down arcade game. That appeals only to people that care nothing about dnd.

This was the reason,othervise good DDO originally tanked.

As for this, obviously reviewed by people with no knowledge of dnd, and with no knowledge of Cryptic

I just have to disagree.  Both Mike and I play D&D (though maybe not hardcore as some), and as a fan of 4th Edition because of its innate MMO-feel, I think it translates really well to the action-based combat they have here.  

I also stated right at the beginning that Cryptic has something to prove, and the general feeling on the show floor with fans and media alike is that they're doing just that.

Be reserved if you will, dislike the direction sure, but don't knock it until you've tried it.

Ya 4th Edition D&D wasn't D&D, that's why Pathfinder is so popular :p

• EpiphaniesEpiphanies Member Posts: 1
    I never understood why people started hating on Cryptic in the first place. I am lifetime Champions Online player and, while I don't play it much these days, for more than two years I got a lot of mileage out of that game. It had balancing issues early on, but so has every other online game I ever played.

That said, if you do feel their past work was poor, what about this project do you see as different? The world design appears to be CO in fantasy drag. A small number of large, persistent shared-world zones themed by sequential PvE quest chains running a storyline, capped off with instanced dungeons; playable solo or in parties of up to five. That's Champions Online. Timed keypress fighting gameplay. They upped the graphics a bit, which is to be expected after almost four years. They appear to have swapped out character-shiftable targeting for a center-screen reticle, but I'm not sure that feature is applied to all abilities from the demo. Other than that, all I see is CO redux as fantasy. That isn't a criticism; IMO CO is an excellent game. But I totally don't get how someone who feels Cryptic has something to prove after past performance would see this as something innovative and exciting.
  • brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181

Give me a monk and im in!

• NyhmNyhm Member Posts: 82

Player-Created content is where it's at. I'm the (single) developer of Island Forge, which is an entirely player-created world MMORPG (much lighter fare than Neverwinter, more of an old-school RPG). islandforge.com

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
    Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220

Too bad its 4th ed rules. Which means its not D&D.

Will just stick with the real D&D online (ala Turbine).

Game has failsauce writen all over it.

4th edition = fail

Perfect world = fail

D&D = Already has a MMO using real D&D rules

I already heard Pathfinder was planning/working on a MMO anyways. D&D niche market is already solidified with DDO.

~I am Many~

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Free is always free and its neverwinter and D&D! must DL for me :)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • wilcoxonwilcoxon Member UncommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by Beiloch

5 man raiding = no raiding. How can this possibly qualify as an MMO when the biggest multiplayer thing you can do is 5 man content? I mean it looks good otherwise, but looks and sounds terrible to be an 'MMO.' I guess 'MMO' is just for marketing buzz now.

5 man is the norm for D&D.  It really should support 6 man (D&D 4e adventures and official play is 4-6 man).

Active: D&D Online (alpha,beta,&unlimited)

Retired: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Auto Assault (beta), CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeon Runners, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest, EVE, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online (beta,live), Pathfinder Online (beta), Rift (beta,live), Secret World (beta,live), Star Wars Old Republic, Vanguard (beta), Warhammer (beta,live), World of Warcraft

Originally posted by Sevala

4th edition = fail

Perfect world = fail

I already heard Pathfinder was planning/working on a MMO anyways. D&D niche market is already solidified with DDO.

Wrong.  4e is D&D - just not a version you like.  If you're going to base it on following the original rules 3.0/3.5/PF are not D&D either (they have significant differences from 1st and 2nd edition).

Also, saying DDO uses D&D 3.5 rules is laughable.  DDO has gotten better over the years but still have massive differences from D&D rules.  I alpha & beta tested DDO and did not subscribe because of the huge differences from the rules.

Retired: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Auto Assault (beta), CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeon Runners, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest, EVE, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online (beta,live), Pathfinder Online (beta), Rift (beta,live), Secret World (beta,live), Star Wars Old Republic, Vanguard (beta), Warhammer (beta,live), World of Warcraft

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I'd almost bet that extra classes/races will find their way into the shop, but thanks ot the 4th edition ruleset, everything is so well balanced that it's hard to find a particular race/class combo that far outshines anything else. Unless of course you're deliberately trying to gimp your character.

I wouldn't say that.  Half-Elf and Bard are key to a lot of 4e max dps builds.  There are bad races for some classes but it is easy to find combos that work well.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Sevala

4th edition = fail

Perfect world = fail

D&D 4ed was designed to be more intuitive and easier to transplant to other forms of gaming, namely video games.  4ed has been well recieved for reviving the pen and paper crowd.  How can D&D be a niche crowd when everything you do pertainign to RPG can trace their history back to D&D, with out D&D there would be no RPG and no MMORPG.  I would hardly call that niche.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by stealthbr:

How close will this game be to Dungeons & Dragons? Will there be multiclassing, feats, skills, skill checks, saves, attributes, allignments, divinities, dice rolling, dungeon masters, etc.?

This is 4e D&D - multiclassing is very limited anyway (multiple feat expenditure required and then real multiclassing at Paragon (level 11) when taking a Paragon Path is almost always better).  More useful (and hopefully in the game) are the multiclass feats that let you cound as the other class for purposes of feats and the like and usually give you an additional skill and/or power.

Alignments are mostly irrelevant (good, evil, lawful good, chaotic evil, and unaligned with 99% of people taking unaligned).

It had better have feats, skills, etc.

It sounds like the Foundry will have (at least coded) DMs.

Originally posted by Thorbrand

It seems to me the mobs where to easy given it is suppose to be DnD. Never played a PnP version that you solo'd a boss mob. Also, fighting 3 mobs solo he should be dead. I will wait for Pathfinder Online myself for a PnP MMO.

You can easily fight 3 mobs solo in Pathfinder (depending on the mobs).  In both 3.5/PF and 4e, you can sometimes kill a boss solo (depending on luck and your build).  4e also introduced minions which always drop in one hit.