Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gaming laptop/apple computers/diablo 3

mluo25mluo25 Member Posts: 22

Sorry i couldnt think of a good topic title. But i was thinking anyone know a good gaming laptop to recommend to me. Okay first of all i have a macbook pro right now. I like the macbook pro for school work and everything and the battery life is amazing, MOST of all i like that mac keyboards has a cover avaiable for it. I am talking about those silicon "condoms" you can buy for your keyboards seperately. However, the macbook pro i have now could run LoL with bootcamp but...its seriously kinda shitty fps, when it comes to group fights. I am also looking forward into playing Diablo 3, and i know from youtube and other reviews that it runs well on a macbook, but ima just afraid that...it wouldnt run as great as i want it to, maybe a fps drop when i comes to pvp? or something. So yea, I guess i kinda want to get a new laptop. I was looking into the alienware m14x and m11x and i really wanted those. the seriously, and only downside is...that...they dont have keyboard protectors for those, and really. keyboard protectors are just really big on my end because really. I had several laptops before, and i mean, you can spill stuff on your keyboard, dust bunnies can collect under them and cause them to be kinda hard to press and yea keyboard protector are a life saver in many situation.

So i want to ask you guys, any laptop recommendations for me? should i just stick with the mac? should i get an alienware? or anything else you can link or bring to my attention. 

BTW: i have a gaming desktop, so i can always play diablo 3 and LoL on that, but i want something to take with me, while ima on school campus or at work or something. so yea! please and thank you for everyone's help :)

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Alienware has always been extremely overpriced.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0382831

That's pretty affordable and can play games like Diablo 3. If you're looking more into games like BF3 and the latest CoD, I wouldn't touch any laptop.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

This thing will run anything you throw at it and not even break a sweat and it's still cheaper than any Macbook. Seriously nice piece of gaming goodiness.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• willo248willo248 Member Posts: 346

i would get an msi ive had mine for about a year and it still runs all games great:

http://eu.msi.com/product/nb/GT70.html

• bmjames80bmjames80 Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by Brenelael

This thing will run anything you throw at it and not even break a sweat and it's still cheaper than any Macbook. Seriously nice piece of gaming goodiness.

Bren

^^ This.  I bought one a lil over a month ago.  It's a champ.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

First, it's better to ask questions like this in the hardware section, where it's more likely to be seen by people who know something about hardware.

Second, with Ivy Bridge, Trinity, and laptop versions of Southern Islands all due to launch within the next month, anything you could buy today for gaming purposes will be absurdly obsolete a month from now, and possibly even by the time you get the laptop in your hands.  Kepler is coming soon, too, though not necessarily within the next month.  That obsolete in the sense of "makes no sense whatsoever to buy new", not in the sense of "now you have to replace it already", but it's important to realize that the gap between the two is much smaller for gaming laptops than for gaming desktops.  Gaming laptops have short life expectancies to begin with, and buying one that has about two years of obsolescence on it the day you buy it doesn't help matters.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by bmjames80

Originally posted by Brenelael

Bren

^^ This.  I bought one a lil over a month ago.  It's a champ.

And within a month, you'll probably be able to get something markedly better for under $1000.  A 70% improvement in performance per watt on the video card makes a big difference.  So does getting about triple the performance per mm^2 of die space.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I would say, if your like your Macbook for everything else, and your just looking for something to game on, then are you going to use that same "just to game on" laptop for everything else you used to do on your Macbook?

Personally, I'd keep the Macbook - sure it may not play with high FPS, but it does everything else well (and I'd argue probably does "everything else" better than a laptop you'd pick up for the purpose of gaming for various reasons) - and like you said, you have a gaming PC for serious gaming anyway.

Get a tablet (android or iPad) for just goofing around on if you absolutely want to just get some new hardware. Easier to carry around than 2 laptops anyway.