Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight 2: Opening Cinematic Unleashed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Runic Games and Klei Entertainment have unleashed the opening cinematic trailer for Torchlight II. Called "New Heroes Will Arise", the trailer bridges the gap between the ending events of the original Torchlight and the upcoming Torchlight II. Enjoy!

This particular cinematic opens the game, filling in the story between the end of Torchlight and the beginning of your hero's quest in Torchlight II. Art Director Jason Beck created all the storyboards, and Klei Entertainment animated the scenes with sound effects. JD Wiker wrote the script, and Matt Uelmen assisted with sound effects and provided the score. Here's Jason Beck with some insight into the process.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Guess they hired animator from "Shank"

Sadly, the result is not that great...

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

didt like what i saw..

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Kinda bland.  I don't see it doing much to raise interest.

• Lambon23Lambon23 Member UncommonPosts: 66

This is terrible....

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

They could have made an effort... I mean what was that all about?

• golembanegolembane Member UncommonPosts: 102

It wasn't *horrible*, but I had a feeling someone was trying to channel Samurai Jack and missed the mark in terms of animation. Just throws you into the middle of everything without very good explanation of it all. Action is great, but there tends to need some foundation.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

On the flip side most games I have been looking forward to over the last few years have had kick ass trailers/cinematics but have been terible games, so waiting to see if Torchlight II is on to something here. I mean I liked the look the look of Torchlight but that game was all about the gameplay.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Apparently the muted colors were a deliberate artistic decision, much to my disappointment. They were going for a contrast between the look of the cutscenes and the look of the game itself, which I feel was definitely the wrong way to go. Muting the colors in your cutscenes doesn't make them any more grim or somber, it just makes them look amateurish, expecially when paired with the style of animation they decided on.

A swing and a miss, Runic.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

so the alchemist became evil  ?

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Fail. I was really looking forward to this game. They would have done better to have taken videos of actual gameplay. It looks as if they are going for "story". Looks like I will be staying with D3.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

When taken in the light of Torchlight 1 it's an improvement. This is the opening cinematic of the game and not a CGI teaser trailer. I've seen much worse from some really great games. I think it's actually a good sign that they aren't wasting development time and resources on flashy CGI trailers to make fans drool over something that would never be in the game.

*Cough* SW:TOR *Cough*

It's also a good sign that in the game itself they are spending more time on the game play than flashy cut-scenes. One thing I liked about Torchlight 1 was the way the story flowed and never took you out of the action to tell it. The story itself may have not been the greatest but the delivery was. I'm glad to see that a little success hasn't gone to their heads.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well done runic for concentrating your efforts on the actual game.
  • daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

is this serious? oh dear..

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

As with everything else about the game it's Diablo-lite.  I loved the 3D cinematics of Diablo 2 and missed them when Blizzard went cheap for WC3 and WOW.

I don't even remember the end boss of TL, which I assume is the character in the cinematic.  There really wasn't much story to it anyway.

I'll try TL2 when it's like $10 or so.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Well done runic for concentrating your efforts on the actual game.

They generally hire out for cinematics, you just need one person from Runic to story board it first.

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

Somehow the bad guy reminds me of the patapon series...

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Originally posted by tordurbar

Fail. I was really looking forward to this game. They would have done better to have taken videos of actual gameplay. It looks as if they are going for "story". Looks like I will be staying with D3.

... if you judge a game solely based off an opening cinimatic... sorry to say but I'd rather not have your type remotely close to anything I play. 

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

THAT..... sucked.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Poor intro? A lot of nerve? Who cares... It is TL2 and I am just buying. No need for cinematic intro's. Love to support games where the dev's are actually present.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

As I said earlier, if you think it should be on par with a Guild Wars 2 or Skrim cinematic then you expect too much. Runic is a low budget company at the moment and they do with what they can afford to handle. It could use some color but overall not bad.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

I liked it, they went for something different rather than the expensive over the top cgi trailers. 

• RipclawRipclaw Member UncommonPosts: 190

Looks too much like a bad saturday morning cartoon.

But oh well, it's still a far cry from saying the game will suck. Can't wait to see this game in action.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by daemon

is this serious? oh dear..

I never played the first game ... have just been reading some general hype for the second game.  This had a negative effect on my interest level.  Very questionable.

Should've just written of the costs to produce this trailer and trashed it ...

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Oh wow...people having their second thoughts about purchasing Torchlight 2 just because of the opening cinematic.

Come on people get real here. The game itself is only $20 and is far greater in scope than the original game. How does an opening cinematic represent an overal quality of the gameplay itself?

From what I have seen from the gameplay vids, Torchlight 2 looks great. I am certaintly going to get it just because of its price and to support the devs.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• APRIMEAPRIME Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by golembane

It wasn't *horrible*, but I had a feeling someone was trying to channel Samurai Jack and missed the mark in terms of animation. Just throws you into the middle of everything without very good explanation of it all. Action is great, but there tends to need some foundation.

I got a Samurai Jack feeling as well.