Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What makes something Carebear?

LucioonLucioon Palm Harbor, FLPosts: 814Member Uncommon

1) does grinding something easy for a month to get a uber weapon that one shots everything Carebear?? ( you grind you win )

2) does doing the same macros , 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 that always kills the mob Carebear? ( none thinking )

3) does everyone having the same levels and ubergear in the same place kiling eachother Carebear? ( too fair )

4) does level 100 one shot level 10 Carebear? ( too easy for level 100 )

5) does RNG make it carebear? ( I can hit jackpot in one day and get all ubergear )

6) does directions make it carebear? ( told where to go )

7) does 1 month of grinding make it carebear? ( should have been 6 month to get one piece )

What My questions really is what makes something a carebear? What does it take for something to become a carebear?

Does Time really equal skill, or is it all personal preference?!?!

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Comments

• pmaurapmaura Orlando, COPosts: 515Member

a carebear is someone who wants to be able to do something with there always being zero consequences.

Your killing mobs then some one ganks you and you cry your a carebear.

• SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon

Originally posted by pmaura

a carebear is someone who wants to be able to do something with there always being zero consequences.

Turn that around on the chump that couldn't fight said "carebear" one on one... I always felt that the jerks doing the ganking, killing a player while they are already in combat, camping zone lines ala EQ, crap like that, I have always felt they were the real sissies...

And all the talk about wolves, please...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• pags411pags411 Boulder, COPosts: 98Member

Originally posted by pmaura

I've always found the term to be as hilarious as all the other online gaming jargon that players come up with.

Could you clarify your explanation here?  Someone being killed by a player while killing mobs isn't a consequence, it's a realized risk.  I could see a player complaining about a death penalty as being carebear by your definition.  But your supporting example is inconsistent.

So are you saying a carebear is a player who wants to play a game without suffering consequences for their actions or a carebear is a player who wants to play a game with no risk of having their experience influenced by others?

Personally, I don't know what a carebear is in a game.  I just think people like different aspects in games.  Who cares?

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ BoogalululuPosts: 636Member

Carebear is what you call everyone else out of fear of you yourself being outed as a carebear.

• pierthpierth San Antonio, TXPosts: 1,503Member

The first time I ever encountered the term it was used as a derogatory title for those that don't like PvP. I have absolutely no idea what it's evolved to mean anymore.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Boston, MAPosts: 991Member

Originally posted by Lucioon

1) does grinding something easy for a month to get a uber weapon that one shots everything Carebear?? ( you grind you win )

2) does doing the same macros , 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 that always kills the mob Carebear? ( none thinking )

3) does everyone having the same levels and ubergear in the same place kiling eachother Carebear? ( too fair )

4) does level 100 one shot level 10 Carebear? ( too easy for level 100 )

5) does RNG make it carebear? ( I can hit jackpot in one day and get all ubergear )

6) does directions make it carebear? ( told where to go )

7) does 1 month of grinding make it carebear? ( should have been 6 month to get one piece )

What My questions really is what makes something a carebear? What does it take for something to become a carebear?

Does Time really equal skill, or is it all personal preference?!?!

From what I have been able to gather, if you are a player leveling in PvE content and get ganked by someone 5+ levels higher than you and you do not like it, you are a carebear.

Additionally, if you are the one doing the ganking then you are apparently a "pro open-world PvPer".

If you like PvP where everyone is on equal footing and skill is the primary factor in determining whether you win or lose a fight, then you are also a carebear.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• ForumPvPForumPvP KingstownPosts: 871Member

Paper and pen Carebear simulator v1.0

playerA : does 5 damage

playerB : heals playerA for 3 HP

playerC : hey DM can i have exp and items from these mobs in advance? i need to go to work and i have 3 wifes and 5 childerns.

DM : here you go

playerC : gains 500000xp and sword +6

playerA : does 5 damage on DM

Let's internet

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Tempe, AZPosts: 1,036Member

Carebears can shoot lasers from their bellies.

...why is this a bad thing?

• Salio69Salio69 under a rock, FLPosts: 428Member

uhh i hate that the meanings of words are always changing on the internet.

doing a ton of pve doesnt make you a carebear.

doing a ton of pve in a PVP game and NOT pvping makes you a carebear.

• AnthurAnthur StolbergPosts: 686Member Uncommon

I like them. :)

• ZaltarkZaltark Lockhart, TXPosts: 421Member

Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Paper and pen Carebear simulator v1.0
    playerA : does 5 damage
    playerB : heals playerA for 3 HP
    playerC : hey DM can i have exp and items from these mobs in advance? i need to go to work and i have 3 wifes and 5 childerns.
    DM : here you go
    playerC : gains 500000xp and sword +6
    playerA : does 5 damage on DM

I actually thought this was cute.

• WolvardsWolvards grants pass, ORPosts: 650Member

When you play PvE, and you get ganked by higher player, you are carebear.

When you are a carebear, people intentionally gank you.

When you get intentionally ganked, you take to forums to flame/rage.

When you flame/rage about being ganked, people call you a carebear.

Don't be called a carebear.

Play a game that requires skill, not gear.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• atticusbcatticusbc Posts: 1,068Member Uncommon

when a troll doesn't like a game because it uses a different mechanics than the ones it's good at.

EDIT: to clarify, that game is then "carebear." i'm just going off of most common uses.

• LucioonLucioon Palm Harbor, FLPosts: 814Member Uncommon

Getting something without doing anything is just lazy, its not carebear if everyone is at the same boat because soon the game is gonna fail so badly that it won't exist anymore.

So currently the Carebear term means that if I gank someone and he dies, if he complains he is a carebear, if he comes back with a friend he is also a carebear, if he comes back by himself and I am with a friend and we gank him again, he complains he is a carebear, and I am a carebear because I have a friend. IF he brings a friend and I bring a friend and we are on equal footing, we both are carebears.......etc

So basically, everyone that plays the game is a carebear except the one LONER who is MUTE and have no HANDS to type is the PRO.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• ThorbrandThorbrand West Palm Beach, FLPosts: 1,198Member

No challenging content while being made out to be a great hero.

Uber drops for everyone without the need to play the game.

Game that is 100% soloable to max level.

Any AAA MMO made today that has made the gameplay so easy the game itself is boring to play.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Matthews, NCPosts: 464Member

I have only heard a player being called "Carebear" in Warcraft.

It perplexed me.

• zekeofevzekeofev Mesa, AZPosts: 233Member

Care Bears are players playing in a hybrid game that do not participate in pvp.  It is a term seen as derogatory by most PVPers and thus thrown around a lot as an insult.

Users who repeatedly gank lower level players and such are not care bears. Griefers used to be the term but that never stuck.

• barasawabarasawa Eugene, ORPosts: 272Member Uncommon

Carebear is when the game is or the player wants it to be something like a game for kindergarteners. A happy place with no conflict or fighting.

Some people want to call carebear anyone or anygame that doesn't allow for total pvp anywhere at anytime with anyone despite any alliances, activites, territories, or level differences.

There are those in between, but for the most part, it seems those that are most vocal about calling someone or somegame carebear tend to be griefers and gankers.

Do to the limited numbers on most total pvp games, and the limited amount of venting about it, I suspect there is a large number of people that don't like total pvp that don't bother talking about it, they just don't play those games. This is of course, just a guess based on my own observations.

Just to give you an example of the flagrant and inane declarations being tossed around by a variety people, I'd bet there will be at least one that will only read part of my post and call me a carebear. I also predict someone will call me gay as well. Just goes to show how imbecilic some people can be.

Stop whining and go play a game.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• barasawabarasawa Eugene, ORPosts: 272Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Anthur

I like them. :)

I hear they're rather greasy. Do you prefer frying or barbequeuing?  :)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Springfield, MOPosts: 208Member

When I first started playing video games, back when they were black and white, and all you had for a shield was a garbage can lid, players called people 'Care Bears' who went out of there way to help others in a game. I realize now that it has been stretched to mean other things. I see it used to separate players who approach games with a ruthless "Klingon" player style,and favor no prisoners taken pvp, versus flower children who like to pve, RP, folllow lore, and enjoy the game as a adventure. I don't think that most players are either all one or the other.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• madazzmadazz A town, ONPosts: 1,564Member Uncommon

I can't even believe there is any form of misconception about what a carebear is...

For those in the know... Trammies = Carebears

Damn you Trammies, damn you all to hell.

• MadnessRealmMadnessRealm Montreal, QCPosts: 2,716Member Uncommon

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=carebear

Pretty much explains it all for you, OP.

------
    Your daily dose of common sense since 2009!