Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

One thing I'm not clear on regarding gear

kanezfankanezfan margate, FLPosts: 482Member

I know there's no grinding for gear with better stats and it more like you have to go get gear that you think looks better than what you're wearing. What I'm not clear on is, say the gear you want drops from a certain dungeon/monster/world boss. Is it still a random drop like in other games? Is it only obtainable from that dungeon or can it also be crafted from hard to get mats? Do we just not know for certain at this point?

Thanks.

Comments

• arjiarji AthensPosts: 93Member

All get a token that they can give later to a vendor to get the part that they want. Every instance will have different style of gear and the token is for this style.

• From the sticky "A short guide to everything we know about GW2" http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/287180/A-short-guide-to-everything-we-know-about-GW2-.html

Dungeons

Dungeons are designed for five players. Instead of random loot drops players players will be rewarded with tokens to spend on dungeon items. Each dungeon will have the minimum of one armour set for each armour type and a full range of weapons as possible rewards. Initial encounters in dungeons will come from following the story, subsequent entries in to dungeons will be in an 'explorable' mode, players will have the opportunity to take different routes and have different encounters in a more difficult version. All dungeons give you the opportunity to explore them in several ways, most explorable dungeons have three different ways of playing, players make a choice through vote as they enter the dungeon. Dungeons also have dynamic content that can be triggered so that repeating the same option in explorable mode could still provide fresh content.

gamebreakertv hands on

From PC Gamer, posted on GW2 Guru

• xposeidonxposeidon Sandston, VAPosts: 384Member

Not entirely sure yet. What I'm pretty sure of is that a lot of rare gear will be crafted, just like in GW1.  I'm not sure if any specific dungeons will drop any "special" gear , however I'm sure if that this is not the case, the dungeons or/and dungeon bosses will drop rare materials used to craft rare gear.

Normal gear will probably drop everywhere just like in other games, most likely with the same stats according to the zone level/player level but with a different look.

By rare gear I mean unique, cosmetic looking. They will have the same stats as the rest.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Puerto OrdazPosts: 1,065Member Uncommon

Originally posted by xposeidon

Not entirely sure yet. What I'm pretty sure of is that a lot of rare gear will be crafted, just like in GW1.  I'm not sure if any specific dungeons will drop any "special" gear , however I'm sure if that this is not the case, the dungeons or/and dungeon bosses will drop rare materials used to craft rare gear.

Normal gear will probably drop everywhere just like in other games, most likely with the same stats according to the zone level/player level but with a different look.

By rare gear I mean unique, cosmetic looking. They will have the same stats as the rest.

They've already said that the dungeons will drop tokens you can then exchange for gear, and that each dungeon will have at least one full set of armor specific to that dungeon. The differences between that set and non dungeon set will probably be mostly cosmetic, though.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• FreyasFreyas Seattle, WAPosts: 32Member
    When you defeat dungeon bosses, a chest opens up near the boss with loot in it. You can get the dungeon loot through these chests, or else buy it from a vendor outside of the dungeon with tokens you get from killing the bosses.
  • fiontarfiontar Dana, MAPosts: 3,719Member

If you are asking about Dungeon gear in particular, there are standard drops in dungeons, (each player gets their own drops) and you also get a token for completing a dungeon run and defeating the final boss.

Story Mode (the easier mode) in Dungeons grants you a token you can exchange for a nice weapon. Exploration Mode (the tougher mode) grants you tokens for armor from that dungeon. Each Dungeon has at least three Exploration Mode "wings" and each token buys you one item, which helps minimize the need for repitition. All dungeons have at least one weapon and one full set of gear appropriate for each profession, some have more than one.

Not all the "cool looking armors" are in dungeons. There are other ways to get cool gear, so people aren't forced to do content they don't care for for nice stuff, though you may, of course, need to do something you aren't too kean on if you really want a particular look.

I'm not clear how transmutation stones effect item binding i.e. can you transfer the look of dungeon gear to a non-soulbound piece of armor and then be able to trade or sell that armor? Not sure.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon

Originally posted by kanezfan

I know there's no grinding for gear with better stats and it more like you have to go get gear that you think looks better than what you're wearing. What I'm not clear on is, say the gear you want drops from a certain dungeon/monster/world boss. Is it still a random drop like in other games? Is it only obtainable from that dungeon or can it also be crafted from hard to get mats? Do we just not know for certain at this point?

Thanks.

I'm surprised noone fully answered the OP's question yet. So here goes:

No, you cannot craft equipment that looks the same as the sets that drop from dungeons. Those sets can only be obtained by completed the respective dungeon. However, you can craft armor that has the same stats, but a different aesthetic (they look different). I believe you can also transmute other armor sets onto the dungeon sets if you like their look better as well.

As for being random drops, as others here said, you get a token which u can exchange for the loot.

• RequiamerRequiamer ???Posts: 2,034Member

Well we don't really know the details, and those that know are still under NDA, the only thing we know are the rough lines of the design. Gear have similar stats, and each type (craft, dungeon, pve, pvp) have some unique skins. But the stat still seam to variate greatly, they are few quote explaining that you could get this rare drop where all the stat of the weapon are concentrated in very few stats, the thing is the overall stat points will be the same in all those weapons, but the repartition change, and doing those hard content might get you a weapon that are more efficient for your built since all the point will be in the stat you think are better spent for your build. Now how this will unfold, i guess you'll know more in few days when the NDA drop.

• DignaDigna City, CTPosts: 2,014Member Uncommon

Your gear 'grind' will be for cooler looks rather than uber stats. Some of the cooler looks/sets from dungeons MAY have a few points difference in stats but very minimal effect to gameplay.

So craft or dungeon run for looks, not stats. Drops will give you equal (generally).