Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play a 100% PVE MMO, No PVP at all ?

Comments

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I think it would be nice for some, but everyone wants some PVP sometime, so a game without any would cause players to go elsewhere for it.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Yep...if I want to PVP i play 100% pvp games...i dont like the hybrid stuff...Focus is the Key to my wallet

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Playing Vanguard Saga of Heroes right now!  It's fun and I don't miss the PvP too much. Perhaps when it goes F2P they will open a pvp server back up so I can be stabbed in the back...oh the good ole' days

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

If it would be really good - yes, otherwise - no.

• Lowfer69Lowfer69 Member UncommonPosts: 65

Yes I would. There have been more than a few games that PvP balancing has ruined the classes. Plus I'm just not into PvP if I want to frag or gank I just play BF3 or CoD or something.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by LeegOfChldrn

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by LeegOfChldrn

Originally posted by Ramonski7

PvP in MMos (in it's current state )is nothing more than an attempt for delinquents and unskilled FPS players to compare their achievements against themselves in a RPG setting and attempt to use those merits to justify their hardcore status..... They do this because they KNOW they don't have enough skill to accomplish anything when they play actual FPSs.

Either that or it's FPS players that feel the need to justify their inner nerd for MMOs by telling their friends that PvPing in MMOs is actually a thing of importance when it really isn't in a MMO.

But to answer your question, I don't think I would enjoy a PvE only game for too long because it limits the ability to fully commit yourself in a living breathing world and the dangers of coming up on devious players (not to be confused with asshats with an attitude).

Until the ego, self-centered PvPer becomes a minority to the real mentally stable PvPers. I'll take limited PvP servers like those found in WoW. To me it was the perfect balance for PvE and PvP.

I'd say your wrong, only because I believe the good FPS players probably ARE the good MMORPG players.

Unless I'm an exception to the rule, I am always on the top of the end of matches no matter if I'm playing FPS, MMORPG, RTS, MOBA, whatever.

I believe the reason I top charts in MMORPG's is the same reason I top charts in FPS games and MOBA games: Gaming Experience. I know how to exploit the metagame in any game I play. I know how to read information, guides, tips. I know how to figure out what REALLY is the best, and why. I'm also fast and skilled (intelligent?) so I'm sure that helps.

and modest too

The facts were very relevant to the topic. Modesty doesn't exclude speaking the truth when the topic warrants it. If someone says a fact, what's it to you? Does it offend you that I am good at video games or slept through college not paying attention with better test scores than those who studied ridiculously hard? Does it make you feel bad?

I always think it's funny when people get offended that others talk about the fact they're very good at video games, they're smart, etc.

I apologize if it offends you, but yes...I am very intelligent. That's part of the reason I have so much frustration in my life and find it very difficult to find friends I actually enjoy talking to. It's not all roses you know. There is an endless amount of disappointment with society (especially the more educated you become) and a ridiculous amount of boredom that comes from the lack of challenge in some areas. Not everyone is well educated, open minded, and not hyper-sensitive when others are prosperous. It's not easy to have an interesting conversation when other people seem to have a hard time grasping basic concepts or simple facts.

Sometimes I wish I were not, simply for the fact people like you wouldn't make me facepalm constantly, making myself think every post, "...and why are you still posting on these forums?" Fortunately I stay for those rare posters who speak rationally, don't attempt to troll people, and are mature enough to realize cracking a joke every 10 seconds doesn't make you as witty as you may think while smirking in a false sense of forum victory.

Of course, it always helps to add people to my ignore list :)

What facts?  All is see are a bunch of words on a bulletin board from some anonymous player who claims to be gods gift to gaming.  When you show me evidence to back up your claim, then we'll discuss the difference between people who spout facts and those that are merely blowhards.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I cannot play an non realm vs realm game for more than a month. PVP...I would never play.

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972

And please give the reasons for your answers.  Personally PVP has never been my cup of tea.   It's not that i never tried, i just dont feel any sense of accomplishement fighting others peoples for what really  ?  Bragging rights ?   There is already TONS of pvp game out there, mostly shooters, why does every MMO that comes out MUST have some sort of PVP in it ?   Do you think we could have a succesful MMO without the PVP aspect ?

Unfortunately yes. The PVE games I tend to like the most ordinarilly do not seem to have PVP, or have poor PVP and vice versa. The PVP games I enjoy the most have redundant and/or dumbed down PVE so as to make it nothing more than a necessary grind to compete in a higher level PVP bracket. I have yet to find one game that stimulates my interest for both. Finding one is MY epic questline. Once I find it I may just reroll as an 11 year old chinese gold farmer because this life will then be complete.

• KurdrukKurdruk Member Posts: 10

the PvP crowd has a much large % of asshats.

Sadly, that's true.

In theory, PvP should be more interesting. Even if you're losing  you see players doing things you hadn't thought of and you learn from people who do better than you. The challenge is different every time, etc.

But oh wow! The asshats! Sad gits who have pittiful lives and feel the need to make themsleves feel more powerful by acting like jerks in a game. And there are sooooo many of them! Which is why:

1) PvP will always be a minority interest. Your Mum won't be doing it any time soon. The asshats will drive away all but the most dedicated.

2) Personally, I'll go PvE most of the time.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

It's not that virtually all pvp'ers are bad people -- they're not.  Some of them (although I won't go so far as to say 'most') are even good, friendly, nice people.  They are also a distinct minority in the modern mmo genre that I enjoy. 

Instead, it's that the bad ones are -so- bad that they drive off any hope for a resurgence of the 'glory days' of pvp that I've heard so much about...and never once laid eyes on.  My introduction to pvp came on the first day of my first mmo -- Rappelz.  Killed by someone 80+ levels higher then me who was killing everyone as they ran out of the main city that you go to after the starting zone.  Not knowing the 'etiquette' of pvp, I whispered him to ask why he was killing everyone.  Wow...talk about an earful.

My second introduction came not too long after that, in a different game, where pvp-flagged people would intentionally use exploits -- once again, to kill the utterly defenseless.  And this is a trend that absolutely, positively has not stopped and shows no sign of doing so.  These players do their very best not to 'win', but to drive other players directly from the game.  That is a cancer.  But the old-time pvp'ers. loathe to lose the hopes of some glorious 'community' that will magically make everything right, mistakenly stick up for these griefers and in doing so, fill a huge number of people with disgust at the whole mindset.

Good PVP is interesting, it's fun.  I like the challenge, the danger.  And it's also rarer than diamonds outside of an instance.  So yes...I would play a full PVE game.  At least I know the monster is only trying to kill me, not the entire server I'm playing on and, in the long run, the game itself.

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68

yes!

pvp players complain about "overpowered" classes and mechanics more than anyone it seems like.

i've played too many games that have pvp and pve that cater to pvp and they gimp the pve aspects solely because the pvp players complain about the powers other classes have.

everquest 1 focused on pleasing pvp players way too much and nearly destroyed many of the classes, of course by that point pvp was worthless anyway since resists made it almost impossible to cast anything on anyone in pvp.

sony didn't care, they had some stupid misgiuded belief that anyone played the game for pvp, because the minority of pvp players were so loud.

i find the idea of pvp in a gear focused game kind of silly anyway, it works fine in games that aren't item collecting games.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

I answered yes, and I am very surpised at how many people said yes too - good poll OP.

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68

Originally posted by Lissyl

It's not that virtually all pvp'ers are bad people -- they're not.  Some of them (although I won't go so far as to say 'most') are even good, friendly, nice people.  They are also a distinct minority in the modern mmo genre that I enjoy. 

Instead, it's that the bad ones are -so- bad that they drive off any hope for a resurgence of the 'glory days' of pvp that I've heard so much about...and never once laid eyes on.  My introduction to pvp came on the first day of my first mmo -- Rappelz.  Killed by someone 80+ levels higher then me who was killing everyone as they ran out of the main city that you go to after the starting zone.  Not knowing the 'etiquette' of pvp, I whispered him to ask why he was killing everyone.  Wow...talk about an earful.

My second introduction came not too long after that, in a different game, where pvp-flagged people would intentionally use exploits -- once again, to kill the utterly defenseless.  And this is a trend that absolutely, positively has not stopped and shows no sign of doing so.  These players do their very best not to 'win', but to drive other players directly from the game.  That is a cancer.  But the old-time pvp'ers. loathe to lose the hopes of some glorious 'community' that will magically make everything right, mistakenly stick up for these griefers and in doing so, fill a huge number of people with disgust at the whole mindset.

Good PVP is interesting, it's fun.  I like the challenge, the danger.  And it's also rarer than diamonds outside of an instance.  So yes...I would play a full PVE game.  At least I know the monster is only trying to kill me, not the entire server I'm playing on and, in the long run, the game itself.

i've never heard of a very popular pvp based mmo, the big games the pvp crowd goes on about, UO exploded when they split off the game into two worlds, one pvp and the other pve.

well "explode" in comparision to how it was before, dispite pvpers saying how great it was before, it was only fun for the people killing others not the victims.

the victims would quit , losing origin money, so it wasn't good for the health of the game.

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

Of course, I would. In fact, I am playing one (Istaria) righ now. I am not into PvP since I do not want to be killed as level 1 player by some, let us say, lvl. 100 with explanation "noobz are pwnd at Sundays" or "noobz must die". I do not want to walk as living target for someone who is in a bad mood or simply wants to have fun killing those who could not defend themselves. And I do not want to see any human player as a target.

It's just not for me. I want to see friend in anyone in the game. I want to group with him/her to kill that pesky monster in a distant mountains or to complete quest. I want to be one who helps newbies and newbie would know that no one would slaughter him just because "noobz are pwnd at Sundays".

Note: I am not to question PvP. There are many people who need PvP or even World vs World and it is good. But for me PvP would mean only one thing: always look around you and go anywhere alone only if there is no person within 1 kilometer radius. That's just not for me: looking at myself and/or others as a living target(s).

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Kurdruk

the PvP crowd has a much large % of asshats.

Sadly, that's true.

In theory, PvP should be more interesting. Even if you're losing  you see players doing things you hadn't thought of and you learn from people who do better than you. The challenge is different every time, etc.

But oh wow! The asshats!

I think the "best case" scenario simply fails to account for the internet.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

I wouldn't play it but I hope one gets made then we can tell all the pvextremists to [mod edit] play that"

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Dragonantis

I think it would be nice for some, but everyone wants some PVP sometime, so a game without any would cause players to go elsewhere for it.

well, e.g. i dont, ever, therefore proving you wrong :)

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

I have, and would gladly do so again.

PvE suffers when devs have to try to balance between both PvE and PvP.

Also, I can do without the hyper-competitive, trash-talking, tea-bagging, e-peen waving d-bags that PvP attracts (you know who you are.) image

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

It wouldn't last.  It would just end up like all the quick leveling MMOs we have now.   Players rushing through content and devs tring to bribe players to stay as they create more.

Also no you can't create a PVE sandbox.  While I don't think that FFA PvP is needed to be a sandbox but you need some sort of pvp to make a sandbox more then just SL or farmville.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• sharpshadesharpshade Member UncommonPosts: 58

Absolutely!!

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

Originally posted by Drakxii

It wouldn't last.  It would just end up like all the quick leveling MMOs we have now.   Players rushing through content and devs tring to bribe players to stay as they create more.

Also no you can't create a PVE sandbox.  While I don't think that FFA PvP is needed to be a sandbox but you need some sort of pvp to make a sandbox more then just SL or farmville.

Not to be argumentative, but I would think that the (disputed by some) progenitor of the genre, the tabletop game, would demonstrably show this to be...highly debatable, at best. 

In theory, all one would need is a community method of content creation beyond the basic sandbox things -- like dungeons, for instance.  Scenarios.  Settings.  Plots.  Etc.

Now of course, coming up with such a method and making it useful is another story entirely...but just because it hasn't -been- done yet (to my knowledge/experience) doesn't mean that it -can't- be done.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

why not?countless people play skyrim and it isnt an online game,so i dont see why pve only mmo wouldnt be popular.if there was no pve in wow it would be very empty!cause contrary to popular belief pvp in wow inst very big

gw1 had a lot more pvp player then wow in the past

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by Lissyl

Originally posted by Drakxii

Not to be argumentative, but I would think that the (disputed by some) progenitor of the genre, the tabletop game, would demonstrably show this to be...highly debatable, at best. 

In theory, all one would need is a community method of content creation beyond the basic sandbox things -- like dungeons, for instance.  Scenarios.  Settings.  Plots.  Etc.

Now of course, coming up with such a method and making it useful is another story entirely...but just because it hasn't -been- done yet (to my knowledge/experience) doesn't mean that it -can't- be done.

Yeah but then thats almost another type game.   CoH and STO both have a mission maker, but good player made content is very hit and miss.   Think of old saying that if you put a 1000 monkeys in a room you will time get shakespear but what else did the monkeys make?   Not mention you would have  to pay a group of people just weed out the exploit filled missions and the missions not... lets say family friendly.   Also just like it takes time for devs to make content it takes months for players to start making really content(if FO/elder scroll/nwn mods are anything to go by.)

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

I voted yes. man it would be nice. when you have PVP in a MMO all you hear is "are metrics showed us you were healing to much so we brought it down to expected levels" in truth we nerfed you due to whiners in PVP thinking it takes skill to hit 4 buttons.

So many MMO's are suffering due to PVP players who think they bought an FPS instead of an MMO RPG

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yes everything that is wrong with mmos is the fault of dirty pvpers, pveers never whine or moan or act all elitist and exclusive and are positively angelic in their general attitude towards gaming.