Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want a game here PvP isn't separate.

2»

Comments

• GamerFunGamerFun Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by mrcjevans

Darkfall will be relaunched into Darkfall 2.0 and I think mmo's in general will be saved! It's looking awesome

Hopefully 2.0 comes out for darkfall soon. It was suppose to launch last year and we still have no word on it. If 2.0 comes out I'll be going back to it. Most likely we won't see 2.0 for at least another ten years. :|

MMORPG & FPS Gamer Veteran of seventeen years.

• nfefxnfefx Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by LEmmopeasant

Originally posted by Starpower

What's wrong with DF or MO?

They are shitty games

Why?

Where would you like to start?

DF:

- Empty, dead as fuck because it is a shitty game

- No skill cap so everyone basically has everything, there's no uniqueness or any builds at all.  Veteran players are basically walking gods, with high or max levels of every single skill in the game. This is something UO got right A DECADE AGO and aventurine still managed to fuck it up.

- Horrific UI. You need autohotkey macros just to make it fucking functionable and even then it's below par.

- Bugs, there's  a fuckton of them. You have a 75% chance of getting an error message upon trying to even start the game for the first time. Google the error and you will basically read "Yeah.. that happens.. just keep trying it until it works". Load lag occurs anytime you are in an empty area and players enter your region, you lag for asec as they load in and it's basically a flashing bright sign that says "you bout to get ganked bro".

- Exploits.. dupes.. speed hacks.. teleport hacks.. aimbot. Welcome to Darkfall.

- Grind. Since there is no skill cap.. you have to get EVERYTHING to be competitive.. because everyone else who is ahead of you did. To receive all the glories I listed above of this wonderful game, you get to grind your ass off for months while avoiding PvP like the plague because everyone else in the game is head and shoulders above you and will go out of their way to gank and loot your 50 reagents and 200 gold. Not because they need it, just because they are bored because as stated in point 1: the game is fucking empty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-hOGgrl5V4

- Bunny hop script

I could go on. You should get the point by now. Darkfall 2.0 isn't going to fix shit, Aventurine couldn't hit the mark the first time and there's no one left to care for the second go around.

Don't get me wrong.. I don't WANT Darkfall to be garbage.. the concept/world/mechanics are my dream MMO. They are just terribly implemented, AV doesn't have the budget nor the knowledge to make it work. Everytime one of these games comes out nowadays I get my hopes up and then it turns out to be utter shit. Shadowbane reloaded is my new hope, i'm sure it will end up trash as well. Back to Mount&Blade.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by madazz

I havent read up on it too much yet, do you know if they are going to limit the amount of skills you can max out? I wasn't far behind many players, so I wasn't getting owned by others who had tons of magic and melee. I just didn't care for that aspect. But if 2.0 fixes a lot of other issues I will probably be able to get over it ;)

Yup, instead of everyone being able to use all magix and be like gandalf... there will be choices... the armor or robe you put on will determine what you can and can't cast for example if you use a fire robe yo'll be a fire mage and unable to cast other schools although there are two schools that everyone will have access to with basic spells.

People posting that video about why you shouldn't play should only spread optimism.

For example bunny hopping will be fixed... If someone tries to bunny hop like they do now and they have less than 90hp or the damage taken from bunny hopping exceeds your health then they will become incapacitated for a short time and gankable. AV do listen to people but it just takes time and Recently tasos said it's out in the next couple of months, so I'm guessing within the year.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

I'm not sure that making your skills limited by your clothing is such a good idea. Actually sounds annoying to me lol.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144

I'm not sure that making your skills limited by your clothing is such a good idea. Actually sounds annoying to me lol.

It's an example mate... and I would rather that... than evryone using all spells etc, and i'm sure 90% of peopel would agree including you ;)

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• LEmmopeasantLEmmopeasant Member Posts: 46

That sounds horrific!

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

That sounds horrific!

No doubt. I cant even stand the concept of seperate PVE and PVP gear. If I need to carry a bag full of gear to accomodate 6 or 7 different class types I would just assume shoot myself in the face.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There is a reason that many games have splitted PvP from PvE.

The 2 playstyles are very different from eachother, since you use different tactics you need different gearand different builds.

The alternative is to make PvP and PvE closer, which would mean that you have to kill off the holy trinity combat and make a PvE AI that at least act somewhat human. I think many devs fear that they would distance the PvE:ers if they do something like that but it is really the logical way to proceed if you want to mix PvE and PvP.

There have been a lot talk about griefing and that would be the reason to not mix things up and even if that is a part of it I believe that it is more the MMO mechanics that is the problem.

As long as PvE and PvP are 2 different mechanics mixing them never will be really good. That is also the reason that so many companies are interested in MMOFPS since the 2 are a lot closer there, but you can really make a good MMORPG with the right mechanics as well.

Why do you think that most MMO players prefer PvE while most people who play FPS and RTS prefer PvP? It is because those games do PvP better while most MMOs do PvE better.

PvP was added as an afterthought to the genre, Meridian 59s beta testers wanted it so they added it but the trinity mechanics was made for PvE.

Oh actually I was talking about the shortcomings of Darkfall. I forgot to quote nfefx.

But, yes, separate PvP/PvE gear is definitely a no-no. I won't play a game like that. Never ever, ever. It's horrific as well.

Too much horrificality!

Originally posted by Loke666

There is a reason that many games have splitted PvP from PvE.

The 2 playstyles are very different from eachother, since you use different tactics you need different gearand different builds.

The alternative is to make PvP and PvE closer, which would mean that you have to kill off the holy trinity combat and make a PvE AI that at least act somewhat human. I think many devs fear that they would distance the PvE:ers if they do something like that but it is really the logical way to proceed if you want to mix PvE and PvP.

There have been a lot talk about griefing and that would be the reason to not mix things up and even if that is a part of it I believe that it is more the MMO mechanics that is the problem.

As long as PvE and PvP are 2 different mechanics mixing them never will be really good. That is also the reason that so many companies are interested in MMOFPS since the 2 are a lot closer there, but you can really make a good MMORPG with the right mechanics as well.

Why do you think that most MMO players prefer PvE while most people who play FPS and RTS prefer PvP? It is because those games do PvP better while most MMOs do PvE better.

PvP was added as an afterthought to the genre, Meridian 59s beta testers wanted it so they added it but the trinity mechanics was made for PvE.

I have to disagree. Some old P&P rpgs are 100% PvP. So, maybe for some games it is an afterthought. When it is an afterthought, it's like you say. The game is built upon PvE, so the skills-n-builds are really dependent on aggro, taunting, tanking. None of that exists in PvP because players are smart enough to target DPS. I don't think that alone justifies separate PvP gear, skills, etc. If PvP is an afterthought, just let the players PvP with their PvE characters. Whatever twisted combat emerges from that will probably be just as fine as any mediocre PvP game frankensteined onto a PvE game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I have to disagree. Some old P&P rpgs are 100% PvP. So, maybe for some games it is an afterthought. When it is an afterthought, it's like you say. The game is built upon PvE, so the skills-n-builds are really dependent on aggro, taunting, tanking. None of that exists in PvP because players are smart enough to target DPS. I don't think that alone justifies separate PvP gear, skills, etc. If PvP is an afterthought, just let the players PvP with their PvE characters. Whatever twisted combat emerges from that will probably be just as fine as any mediocre PvP game frankensteined onto a PvE game.

Yeah, there are some games where PvP is the main focus instead, but those games usually have bad PvE instead.

Separating things is the alternative to creating a good mechanics that work as well for both playstyles.

I been playing plenty of games since I started in 1996 and never seen one that isn't a lot better at one thing or the other. PvE is commonly best but some games have a lot better PvP instead.

• AryanRoAryanRo Member UncommonPosts: 48

Fair pvp doesnt exist and this mix of pve-pvp sucks plain and simple.. Pvpeers jump games like changing underwear and if you put all the pvp community together you gonna notice is very little compare to pve and all they wanna do is pvp gang rape the lower levels.  Happen to me in Tera I did not know I was in pvp server and I was trying to cross the land to get to a city where I can get back to newbb zone and I was gank by 2 high levels player they could see I was no match to them but I was killed. In the end I went to pve server and made a new toon.. but that story I seen it repeatedly in every game I go... a day ago I was ask for a duel in Aion newb zone I was 8 and the one asking was 22. Since in Aion you can see player level I can see he had the upper hand and I decline overrall I suck at pvp but I always get ask to duel by people who have an unfair advantage over me. 

Still is always the same story people now are paying attention to bulling in school but virtual bulling have existed in all pvp mmo's.. To me have to a realization that all pvpeer are cowards in fair fight they run or in fight where you need skills rather the butch up armor or stats they end up failing. I have not found a game where I can say pvp is on equal grounds except Planetside but in the end fail the same way I thought I was on equal grounds with other  and I end up being killed faster then I could kill problem I saw was that the winning nation had the advantage of better equiped players. I depending on if I get on beta I may go up again on version 2 lol.. 

Tabula Raza was another good pvp type game but again higher level toons in lower level zones made it hard for the player base to go up and pretty much kills the game..

Pretty simple Pvp = Open Bully System. I would love to see a game where the AI  would calculate base on score x who can pvp who, so anybody on 50% equal chance winning have a fair fight  and no unfair advantage. The minute the Ai notice someone armor having an unfair upper hand advantage end the fight or not allow it.. Strong killing the weak offers no challenge only create a bigger bully with points.

• NiffiNiffi Member Posts: 36

@Loke666: The Trinity is not a problem in pvp. Of course your aggro-/hatred-skills are useless but the tankclasses normally have advantages with their high defence. Most tankclasses ive seen have strong group-protection-skills, too.

@AryanRo: There was a very simple solution for this problem in Runes of Magic. If you get killed, you get a buff, which protect you for being attacked for 5 minutes (if you got killed fast after this for 10 and after this for 15 minutes).

Greets Niffi

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

... Guildwars 2 seems interesting, but from what I read its not open PvP and when you do PvP it is instanced...

There are two types of PvP in GW2... the instanced like you mentioned, which is 5v5 competitive style, and the zoned, persistent World v World, which will be three servers against each other for two week long wars to control four massive maps. You can completely level up to 80 there, players drop loot as though they were mobs, and they'll be level appropriate for you, your base stats are boosted to level 80 so you won't have to fear the one-shot, there's PvE to be had there as well if you wish... yes, the main set of PvE zones are separate and PvP free. But you may find you enjoy living in the Mists.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Oh actually I was talking about the shortcomings of Darkfall. I forgot to quote nfefx.

But, yes, separate PvP/PvE gear is definitely a no-no. I won't play a game like that. Never ever, ever. It's horrific as well.

Too much horrificality!

Well, I have no real choice about that.

Since I prefer playing games where I have powerful crafting and can craft many different things, I will probably always end up making PvP gear as well since it has different requirements than PvE.

Its just natural if you have a lot of choice about what items you want to craft, that you will have specialized versions for special tasks.

Originally posted by Loke666

I couldn't disagree more. PvP was an important part of the genre early on, and in fact nearly based upon it. UO and DAOC for example were EPIC for me. I enjoyed them both a ton.

Originally posted by mrcjevans

It's an example mate... and I would rather that... than evryone using all spells etc, and i'm sure 90% of peopel would agree including you ;)

Truthfully, I am not so sure. While I am willing to give it a chance, it sounds annoying. Think of the amount of armour loss there is in DF. Uh oh! Ran out of magic stuff now I am a warrior which I unfortunately haven't even remotely worked on.... I don't feel I am alone on this but I'd rather have an alt for different skills.