Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are 2 week wvwvw battles too short?

2»

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Originally posted by rungard

Iam going to need at least a month to humiliate my foes...

HAH!  I havent thought about this much, but its a good question.

If one of your opponent servers is dominating, then 2 weeks would seem a long time, on the other hand if your server is dominating, what a blast!

Time will tell on this one, imo

I think thats why they limited it to 2 weeks. They want to keep people interested instead of having one team losing for a prolonged period of time. I think if they were a month or longer, a lot of people would stop doing WvW if they were on a losing server. Which they don't want.

Furthermore, when you look at the lifespan of most new MMOs, 2 weeks is a long time. Most MMOs start to shrink severely after just a few months.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Seam perfect to me. Castle siege are for one week in usual mmo, even if they are not about constant fight. So based on this i think that's enough to have a lot of action without the game sinking into a one way battle.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Two week battles and nameless opponents work well in context. Consider what the Mists represent... an area created by the gods to test us mortals. In their infinite godly wisdom (in case they're reading this) they've chosen to pit all of Tyria not against itself in these dragon cursed times, but against these nameless simulcra, these things that look almost like us but aren't us. They're merely blue, green or red tinted challenges that stand between us and receiving the gods blessing on Tyria to aid us in our struggles against the dragons. They may look like us, they may even fight like us... but they're not us. They're not Tyrian... they're... something else. And we Tyrians, united, will defeat them.

The two week time period is when the gods judge whether or not we're worthy of their blessings for the next cycle. If successful, all of Tyria benefits equally. If we fail... well, we can stand to be tested yet again.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VorrugaVorruga Member UncommonPosts: 30

Stupid library computers. Edited for multiple posts.

• VorrugaVorruga Member UncommonPosts: 30

Originally posted by aesperus

. . .

I think thats why they limited it to 2 weeks. They want to keep people interested instead of having one team losing for a prolonged period of time. I think if they were a month or longer, a lot of people would stop doing WvW if they were on a losing server. Which they don't want.

Furthermore, when you look at the lifespan of most new MMOs, 2 weeks is a long time. Most MMOs start to shrink severely after just a few months.

I think its also so the "Power of the Mists" bonuses don't get too high.  With two-week-long battles, the bonuses from upping your War Score are nice perks but don't end up getting so high that it becomes frustrating when the battle resets.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Vorruga

. . .

I think its also so the "Power of the Mists" bonuses don't get too high.  With two-week-long battles, the bonuses from upping your War Score are nice perks but don't end up getting so high that it becomes frustrating when the battle resets.

that is why i think they will be selling said "bonuses" in the cash shop.  cause after 2 weeks, playing without them, will feel weird.

I've got the straight edge.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

To answer the initial OP...

Yup, too short. Not persistent. Giant 2 week battleground with population caps. 

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Originally posted by brody71

. . .

that is why i think they will be selling said "bonuses" in the cash shop.  cause after 2 weeks, playing without them, will feel weird.

why would it feel weird? its only extra numbers, its not like they give you special abilities that you will miss out.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by austriacus

Originally posted by brody71

. . .

why would it feel weird? its only extra numbers, its not like they give you special abilities that you will miss out.

Because players like him and wormed are used to having special bonuses, at all times, they feel naked without them.

ala WoW

• SpectrumizedSpectrumized Member Posts: 48

Not really, at least at the start. I believe the way opposing worlds in this system will be decided is by objective score and current rank. Especially at the start, having shorter battles will allow largely imbalanced matches to be reduced greatly earlier. However, I still think that two weeks is a bit long, especially if one world just completely dominates every objective in the map.