Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

@ "OMG NO WORLD PVP!?!?"

caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Reality check, some of the best MMO PvP that ever existed was in Dark Ages of Camelot.

DAOC didn't have open world PvP (not counting a  single FFA server)

Comments

• ColdicesColdices Member Posts: 157
    GW2 fans...only they have to make a new thread with an opinion on a topic that already exists.
  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Coldices

GW2 fans...only they have to make a new thread with an opinion on a topic that already exists.

Cash shop

that is all

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Yeah.. there are current threads alread about this.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

There being no world Pvp in DAoC doesn't take away from the fact that there are still people that want world Pvp, and that there are still people that don't like/want GW2 because it doesn't have world Pvp.

I don't see the point in this comparison.

• GamerFunGamerFun Member Posts: 28

Yeah and GW2 is still going to be carebear to the max. I'll play SWTOR before ever playing this craphole game with its carebear instance box pvp system. At least in SWTOR I can PvP without jumping into instance battlegrounds.

MMORPG & FPS Gamer Veteran of seventeen years.

Originally posted by GamerFun

Yeah and GW2 is still going to be carebear to the max. I'll play SWTOR before ever playing this craphole game with its carebear instance box pvp system. At least in SWTOR I can PvP without jumping into instance battlegrounds.

So go play SWToR then if that's what you want. No one cares either way.

No need to go into the fact that GW2 also, in addition to the instanced PvP has open world PvP zones in the Mists (WvW), you've already made your decision not to play GW2 and I can respect that. It's a pity you feel the need to spread falsehoods about GW2 however.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• GamerFunGamerFun Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Volkon

No need to go into the fact that GW2 also, in addition to the instanced PvP has open world PvP zones in the Mists (WvW), you've already made your decision not to play GW2 and I can respect that. It's a pity you feel the need to spread falsehoods about GW2 however.

Whatever floats your boat carebear.

MMORPG & FPS Gamer Veteran of seventeen years.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Have fun with swtor. If I wanted to play a shitty Star wars game I would rather play star wars kinect than Swtor.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by caremuchless

Reality check, some of the best MMO PvP that ever existed was in Dark Ages of Camelot.

DAOC didn't have open world PvP (not counting a  single FFA server)

And those 2 FFA servers where only released more then 2 years after the initial release, they also made many people realise that they liked the RvR much more then the open world FFA.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Your opinions are not important enough for their own topic, stick to posting in existing ones.

• Skyy_HighSkyy_High Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 138

1: World vs. World is not an "instanced battleground". The maps are enormous, and you can play in them without ever touching PvP or PvE. It is, effectively, a PvP server that you can enter and exit at will. 

2: How is instanced PvP "carebear"? Seriously, I have never understood this. Instanced matches make for balanced, tight team gameplay. Which is more competitive: a 5v5 CS match, or a 100v100 Battlefield map? If you prefer open world PvP, fine, but don't pretend that it's more balanced, competitive, or "hardcore" than instanced PvP. 

[edit]Just read the rest of your posts. I do not expect a reasonable answer from you, but I'll leave this post here nonetheless. 

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

They really should have an age limit to post-or at least separate forums for the adults.

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Thats rich.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Isnt there already a threat about this?

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by adam_nox

Your opinions are not important enough for their own topic, stick to posting in existing ones.

And your posting in this thread what other people have already posted in this thread.

Originally posted by Zaltark

Isnt there already a threat about this?

Not one that's about to become as interesting as this one.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Originally posted by Skyy_High

1: World vs. World is not an "instanced battleground". The maps are enormous, and you can play in them without ever touching PvP or PvE. It is, effectively, a PvP server that you can enter and exit at will. 

2: How is instanced PvP "carebear"? Seriously, I have never understood this. Instanced matches make for balanced, tight team gameplay. Which is more competitive: a 5v5 CS match, or a 100v100 Battlefield map? If you prefer open world PvP, fine, but don't pretend that it's more balanced, competitive, or "hardcore" than instanced PvP. 

[edit]Just read the rest of your posts. I do not expect a reasonable answer from you, but I'll leave this post here nonetheless. 

I would like to note I will be playing GW2 for the main reason of the PvP.

1. WvWvW is instance PvP no matter how big the zone is it is zone all its own, hence a instance.

2. You answered your own question on how instance PvP is "carebear". The reason you listed are why it is consider that way. PvP doesn't need to be balanced and it is more about team tactics. Play a RvR game and you would understand how it works.

Don' make me use mah carebear stare on you fool.

Seriously though, enjoy SWToR. I hope it's what you're looking for. I'll be planting flags in the twisted corpses of my enemies in the Mists and having my own fun.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Thorbrand

1. WvWvW is instance PvP no matter how big the zone is it is zone all its own, hence a instance.

2. You answered your own question on how instance PvP is "carebear". The reason you listed are why it is consider that way. PvP doesn't need to be balanced and it is more about team tactics. Play a RvR game and you would understand how it works.

The Mists, as has been made clear, are not instanced. They are zoned, just like any other zones in the game. They're no different (aside from the rules, of course). Yes, it's a zone all it's own, but it's not a zone all your own, which would make it an instance. The Mists are the RvR type of play you mentioned. I don't consider either form of PvP carebear, but they do tend to draw people with different ideas of what PvP is personally best for them.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

There is only one reason that GW2 haters would post in a thread about GW2. One reason. They are unhappy because GW2 didn't design the game to suit them. The biggest and most anticipated game on the horizon has abandoned them. They care because they want to be a part, but can't. They care because it hurts to be left out. THEY CARE, even if they won't admit to it. After all, if they didn't care, why would they bother to waste their time?  I don't care about games like Mortal Online, Darkfall, Archeage so I don't even read those threads. They are here because they care, and they are hurting.

Show a little sympathy. Have you hugged a hater today?

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Thorbrand

The Mists, as has been made clear, are not instanced. They are zoned, just like any other zones in the game. They're no different (aside from the rules, of course). Yes, it's a zone all it's own, but it's not a zone all your own, which would make it an instance. The Mists are the RvR type of play you mentioned. I don't consider either form of PvP carebear, but they do tend to draw people with different ideas of what PvP is personally best for them.

yeah we get it, its a zone, that's really just one big instance that gets reset every 2 weeks, but it is NOT open world pvp, unless of course you want to change the meaning of open world pvp to fit your game, that doesnt make you a fanatical fanboy at all.

Same horse beaten to a bloody pulp in another thread,

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

The stigma surrounding instanced pvp comes from the fact that it is normally boring, repetitive, grindy, and generally an unfun chore.  The saving grace here is that the only mmorpg that ever did fun instanced pvp is guild wars.  The WvWvW stuff looks big enough to be a decent substitute for world pvp, and if the sieging is fun enough it will work for me.  I certainly wish GW2 had even more pvp options, such as true world pvp.  I do not see a downside to having it as it only makes things more challenging and fun and dynamic events could suddenly become PvEvP events... 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Originally posted by Nevulus

yeah we get it, its a zone, that's really just one big instance that gets reset every 2 weeks, but it is NOT open world pvp, unless of course you want to change the meaning of open world pvp to fit your game, that doesnt make you a fanatical fanboy at all.

Same horse beaten to a bloddy pulp in another thread,

<insert facepalm .jpg here>

Zones are not instances. It's not "one big instance", it's four huge zones that have the captures reset every two weeks in order to calculate winning servers and to match you up against two new servers. I understand there are people that find humor in deliberately using "instance" incorrectly, others that blatantly do so because it denigrates what WvW actually is, but it really gets tiring.

As I've clearly stated before, there's no open world PvP in GW2 like you'd expect from other games. Instead, the open world PvP aspects are confined to the Mists. In GW2, there's no killing people from your own server. However, you'll be matched against two other servers in WvW for your killing pleasure.

Oderint, dum metuant.

This discussion has been closed.