Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legend of Grimrock.....Almost there...

snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

How else is excited and waiting to download the game?

Just a few hours :)

Let the old times return !!!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by snoocky

How else is excited and waiting to download the game?
    Just a few hours :)

Let the old times return !!!

Looking forward to it! Picking my son up from school at 2 and then heading home to do some dungeon crawling. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    I'm excited but can't aford it now until the end of the month. It's got some pretty good early reviews so far. Let us know what you think about it.
  • Don-QuixoteDon-Quixote Member Posts: 87
    I am but now, for the life of me, am not able to log into the webpage. :(
  • VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Very excited to try this out!  I stumbled across it just the other day and was very pleasantly suprised. I haven't played a grid based dungeon crawler in years. Looking foward to some old school style gaming.

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

Im buying this as well.

The only thing that worries me is that it looked more action oriented than turn based. I mean the spell casting system with the runes instead of scrolls/learned.

Either way im going to try it out. ;)

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

Played it for 4 hours now and i can recommend it to anybody familiar with "Eye of the Beholder" playstyle games etc.

My group are lvl 5 now, and at normal difficulty the game progression is really nice. Its easy enough to make you learn the game while you play, without to many difficulties. Im sure im going to mess up my char skilltrees, but thats some of the charm with games like this...you dont need a min/maxed group to play it. (well..atleast not yet ^^)

Anyway, im having fun. Down at 4th lvl right now, no idea how deep this dungeon is...and dont tell me either :)

Im using 2 Warriors up front Human/Minotaur and Mage with an Archer - Assassin behind. Its working very good so far. I like the way you auto pick up arrows from the loot after killing a mob, or just by walking over it. Saves alot of work.

I have it now. Have to say so far it's everything I wanted it to be. Party level 2,dungeon lvl 2. Turned auto map off for a proper old school experiance.........Anybody have any graph paper they are not using? I don't think this toilet paper I am using to map was designed with this in mind :)

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by spookydom

I have it now. Have to say so far it's everything I wanted it to be. Party level 2,dungeon lvl 2. Turned auto map off for a proper old school experiance.........Anybody have any graph paper they are not using? I don't think this toilet paper I am using to map was designed with this in mind :)

Haha. Check the game folder for a nice surprise regarding graph paper.

The game is fantastic. Although not without fault, it's a very satisfying old-school dungeon crawling experience, if a bit short. Hopefully once the mod tools are released there will be a very active community pumping out new dungeons to explore, on top of whatever Almost Human may be working on.

I'd be willing to pay a few $$ for more 'official' dungeons, especially given the game's low price point.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Oh man! Graph paper is the best way to play a game like that! I did it with all the Gold Box games, Might and Magics, and Wizardry's. If you want a challenge, try Wizardry 6-Bane of the Cosmic Forge.  That has so many twists, dark areas, and teleports it was a fun challenge! :) Hail to the old school days!!!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Yeah , nicely done game , nice price. Just good game :D

old school ftw!

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

I have read nothing but good reviews of this game. Not great, but good. It looks like fun old school style.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Haha. Check the game folder for a nice surprise regarding graph paper.

The game is fantastic. Although not without fault, it's a very satisfying old-school dungeon crawling experience, if a bit short. Hopefully once the mod tools are released there will be a very active community pumping out new dungeons to explore, on top of whatever Almost Human may be working on.

I'd be willing to pay a few $$ for more 'official' dungeons, especially given the game's low price point.

HA HA!  Thanks man that is awsome sauce with a side order of cool beans. Printing off now.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I'm playing it as well, and boy, this is wonderful old school, I enjoy it very much.

Imagine, the year is 2012, you buy a new game, and it doesn't have a single cutscene. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

it's amazing, i am at 11. floor and having a blast :)

Floor 10 here, and finding it refreshingly engaging.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Floor 10 here, and finding it refreshingly engaging.

finished :)

my final statistics: (played on hard difficulty)

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Thanks for the updates and impressions. Hadn't got around to this one, it might jump the queue now!

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Just read the developers blog at http://www.grimrock.net/2012/04/13/launch-week-update and one thing I found interesting is the following quote from the blog:

"Anyways, the development costs of the game have now been covered many times over so the future of the company seems pretty secure."

Justs shows to me that the lunacy of the AAA companies to invest millions into voice actors and cutscenes is a business trap they set for themselves. People seem to be more than willing to support small indie developers.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Originally posted by Larsa

Just read the developers blog at http://www.grimrock.net/2012/04/13/launch-week-update and one thing I found interesting is the following quote from the blog:

"Anyways, the development costs of the game have now been covered many times over so the future of the company seems pretty secure."

Justs shows to me that the lunacy of the AAA companies to invest millions into voice actors and cutscenes is a business trap they set for themselves. People seem to be more than willing to support small indie developers.

Info from a friend of a friend, so I don't know how reliable it is, but I heard that 20,000 copies was the amount they needed to sell to make a profit on the game.

i am glad for them, they made a great game

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

This game is awesome, I have enjoyed all 5 hours of it I have played so far. Will probably play through on the harder difficulty after, and hope they have the usermade dungeons by then, or just play through it again haha

• Its should be a good thrill back to days of the Eye of the Beholder. I have two friends there have brought the game on Steam and they have only said positive things about it yet. So I plan to buy it too very soon.

• Has anyone one played all the way through as solo Toorum yet?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
         This game looks like a breath of fresh air...Was wondering when someone would make an Eye of the Beholder/Dungeon Master type of dungeon crawler again.......I'll be buying this at some point, but I dont know if I want to get it from steam
  • SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by Theocritus

This game looks like a breath of fresh air...Was wondering when someone would make an Eye of the Beholder/Dungeon Master type of dungeon crawler again.......I'll be buying this at some point, but I dont know if I want to get it from steam

Purchase it from GOG.com then, way better than steam, etc. :)

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter