Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: PAX East Hands On Preview

2»

Comments

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

i been playing this game in cb and so far i really love the aspect of combining the mmorpg pve system into the mmofps game. atm their contents are lacking but it's still in beta, and lots to be fixed. one of the things i'm looking forward to the most is open world pvp. i can't wait to fight for land with my guildies or faction. i do hope they keep the pve system in top condition because that is what attracted me the most. i'm tired of playing fps lobby games. 

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

"FireFall also features a number of instanced PvP game modes"

I think I'll save my time for Planetside 2

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Mackeh

Any MMO that does not have any form of World PvP is not on my shopping list.  I really don't see the fun in levelling up in an MMO without the other faction(s) out trying to kill you. 

If a huge title like LOTR can fail then this game is doomed, you got to have world pvp or you are ruling out millions of players right there.

Not really. Any game that allows (let alone encourages) open world ganking and griefing is niched in the modern western markets.  You could try Aion, Dark Fall, or Mortal Online if thats your interest.  Red5 obviously has their eyes on the much larger market, of those who simply will not play a gankfest game. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by adrift02

Any MMO that does not have any form of World PvP is not on my shopping list.  I really don't see the fun in levelling up in an MMO without the other faction(s) out trying to kill you. 

If a huge title like LOTR can fail then this game is doomed, you got to have world pvp or you are ruling out millions of players right there.

Good thing they've said they are planning on having open world PvP then ;-)

If they do add forced PvP, then I'm out.  It will also badly niche the game in the modern western markets. 

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Sure, people who have the time/money to go to PAX get into beta, but people who have been signed up since signups were available? Fuck 'em! They're too poor to go to PAX, so they probably don't have much money to spend in the cash shop anyway, right?

Way to slap people in the face there, Red5.

People who go to gaming conventions are always going to come away with cool goodies, it's part of the ritual so to speak.

Red 5 is actually awesome. So awesome, in fact, that we'll have FireFall keys for you guys 'soon'. ;)

can't wait ....

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

This game very much reminds me of Borderlands which i looooved! cant wait to play it.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• LynfiordLynfiord Member UncommonPosts: 16

Can't wait for MMORPG.com Firefall  Keys as i don't know anyone directy which is in the beta and the invites gods didn't touch me yet :P

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Wraithone

Not really. Any game that allows (let alone encourages) open world ganking and griefing is niched in the modern western markets.  You could try Aion, Dark Fall, or Mortal Online if thats your interest.  Red5 obviously has their eyes on the much larger market, of those who simply will not play a gankfest game. 

You need to open your mind.

It is possible to have open-world pvp without having "ganking" and "griefing" be encouraged. Your examples are third rate games that aren't made very well

Look at Planetside 1. Entirely open world pvp. There is no "ganking" in that game. There is no PvE so it's not like someone can gank you while your questing. If you are playing Planetside, you are pvping. 

Open world pvp is something that should be included in any game that dares to call itself an MMOFPS. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by dubyahite

It is possible to have open-world pvp without having "ganking" and "griefing" be encouraged. Your examples are third rate games that aren't made very well

Look at Planetside 1. Entirely open world pvp. There is no "ganking" in that game. There is no PvE so it's not like someone can gank you while your questing. If you are playing Planetside, you are pvping. 

Open world pvp is something that should be included in any game that dares to call itself an MMOFPS. 

Possible? Perhaps, but I've yet to see it.  I started these games with UO. Over that time I've played many, many of these games. Western and Eastern. Its been my experience that open world PvP leads inevitably to ganking and/or griefing. 

Why? Because some people (such as the Goonies as an example) get their jollies from ruining other peoples play experience.  They will go to almost any extreme to achieve that.  I note your use of quotes with the words ganking and griefing.  Much has been written of both over the years, and I suspect neither of us is going to change the others mind in that regard. 

The audience demographics have changed over the years in the west. One has only to look at the rise of the theme park game, and their PvE servers to know that for todays reality.  Planet Side is hardly an example, as its entire focus is on PvP (what else is there?). Anyone who is on a PS server, knows what the game is all about. 

Firefall on the other hand could easily sustain PvE as well as PvP servers.  I'm hoping that Red 5 will be wise enough (and self interested enough) to realize that.  Other wise, its appeal is going to be rather limited in the modern western market. 

Simply because a game is an MMOFPS doesn't have to translate to open world PvP.  What attracts me to this game is that it has aspects of Tabula Rasa. But I'm hoping it is much more successful, and lasts longer.  The Chosen are much like The Bane, and I hope that they are more fully developed.  

In any event, I simply will not play games that allow or encourage ganking and/or griefing, and if one looks at the market reality in that regard, I'm hardly alone. 

• lestuslestus Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Firefall looks very promising, it will definitely be a game i would play, just afraid it might get overshadowed by gw2 for me personally, but if i manage to get into FF beta before gw2 releases then im likely to get active and keep playing it.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Guys ive been in beta for a week now, and let me say the game PVE  is awsome!- that said. they are now focusing on balance issues in pvp at the moment. it needs a haul of work. i atest to that becaouse ive been in pvp matches- then i believe they will go into open world pvp work. but right now the 5 arenas need major work.

and now that iam in beta i can undertand their determanation to release this at their own timeline.

red5 is doin a great job. trying to get this done right!

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Impulse47

Is this a legit MMO like Planetside, or is it more akin to Global Agenda?

if you made Global Agenda into a complete MMO, and a complete virtual world, thats more what it's like.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by adrift02

Good thing they've said they are planning on having open world PvP then ;-)

If they do add forced PvP, then I'm out.  It will also badly niche the game in the modern western markets. 

in one of Red 5's official beta streams, they made it clear that open world PVP would be consensual.

Corpus Callosum    

FireFall has only one "server".

Corpus Callosum    

• CopenhagenCopenhagen Member UncommonPosts: 57

Originally posted by corpusc

in one of Red 5's official beta streams, they made it clear that open world PVP would be consensual.

Thats why Planetside 2 will be the game I chose to play.

Originally posted by Copenhagen

Originally posted by corpusc

Thats why Planetside 2 will be the game I chose to play.

um, PS2 is pure PVP, and only PVP.   nothing else would make any sense for a pure PVP game.  you really would expect for them to let you opt out of fighting other players when thats all there is to DO in the game?    8)

also PS (1 at least) has no virtual world.  just gigantic arenas.

FireFall has both PVE,  AND (more importantly an actual virtual world worth exploring.

didn't see a single point of interest or anything at all in PS1's maps that was in the least bit interesting.  everything looked like it could have been randomly generated.  from the terrain to the bases themselves.  everything was pure military.  no evidence that there was any life in the world or that anybody would be able to live there, or ever had.  or ANY OTHER lifeforms.  totally lifeless and unimmersive.

this is why i'll never play any PS game again. 

Corpus Callosum    

• ThorgaldThorgald Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by orbitxo

iam surprised red5 studios havent given mmorpg.com some beta key giveaways since youve been  hyping the crap out of this game here- least they could do is return the favor.

<.<

No, they shouldn't. Because that only makes revew sites "dishonest" in their reviews *just* to get beta keys to give away to increase hit numbers or whatever. It's bad enough that some publishing companies try to push review sites to give games a better score then they deserve. We do not need this crap on to of it. I want to know that i can trust sites like these when they think a game is good.

• ThorgaldThorgald Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by dubyahite

Planetside 1 (and 2) is objective based zerg versus zerg pvp games. And they have  nothing BUT pvp to offer. There is no quests, there is no pve, there is no crafting or other boring things "traditional" pvp games has. So please don't compare Aion/DF/MO with Planetside. :)