Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The secret war

2»

Comments

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Originally posted by dancingstar

"The Secret War" is currently non-functional; apparently it generated too much spam even by Facebook standards.  No ETA for a fix.

Nope.  It was too popular.  It was the mass friend invites everyone was doing.  The spam part was for vouching/propaganda/rank rewards.  Vouching and Ranks only happen once.  Propaganda was 6 links every 6 hours.

It was all about tens of thousands of people forming groups and then mass inviting each other and then dumping agents every hour for points.  They raised the amount of points you need to get a new rank, twice.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Originally posted by jdnyc

"The Secret War" is currently non-functional; apparently it generated too much spam even by Facebook standards.  No ETA for a fix.

Nope.  It was too popular.  It was the mass friend invites everyone was doing.  The spam part was for vouching/propaganda/rank rewards.  Vouching and Ranks only happen once.  Propaganda was 6 links every 6 hours.

It was all about tens of thousands of people forming groups and then mass inviting each other and then dumping agents every hour for points.  They raised the amount of points you need to get a new rank, twice.

Eitherway, its broken on day two, several months after it was suppose to initially launch.  ( I will wait to try TSW when it releases.)

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

TSWar actually got taken down by facebook because the players generated too much traffic :D

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140

Yes, the game didn't "break"; Facebook blocked it and requested that Funcom make changes to it because there was too much traffic:

"

As many of you already know, The Secret War is currently unavailable.

Due to significantly higher levels of recruitment and sharing than were originally expected, we have been asked by Facebook to make some adjustments and improvements. Don't worry! It will be back up as soon as we are done with the changes. We'll keep you updated as everything progresses.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this is causing, and thank you for your patience and understanding!"
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by jdnyc

If you want to sign up to play The Secret War, here's a link to the page.

The Illuminati thank you :)

You wait, me and my 80 new Templar friends will show you! XD

... seems Templars are sort of the underdog tho. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    What kind of game is it?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

It's like some form of risk: the MMO.

You have there world, divided into countries, which are controllable based on how many agents each faction has deployed on them.  Your agents come from friends in your FB list that are in your faction. You can deploy agents on an hourly refresh (each hasn't it's own timer).  Aside from that yo can add extre poits to a country by publihing war  propaganda (TSW screens, art and videos) which refresh on an hourly basis.  Clicks on that propaganda add points to the country it was deployed for.

All this gives you oints, along with recruiting people, and getting some usual FB app-like missions.  This are scarce tho.  Like the app, get 5 people to vouch for you (click a vouch ad), recruit 5 people...

Advancing in the ranks unlock TSW in-game bonuses, like clothing, potions, weapons and a title.  ALso can be unlocked Beta Weekend access.

Factions can unlock videos for their global effort.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I am shocked that the Illuminati has about half the world taken, and the other two have so little comparatively. I am surprised that appeals to so many people while the other groups appeal to so few.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Leodious

I am shocked that the Illuminati has about half the world taken, and the other two have so little comparatively. I am surprised that appeals to so many people while the other groups appeal to so few.

Templars are the clear underdog. Illus and Dragons change each other in domination and Templars fight kinda with the back to the wall most of the time. Being Templar, I don't mind. Illus and Dragons have the "dark cool" factor which attracts all the kids and wannabe's, and I enjoy fighting the underdog side of justice. ^^

But it shows me one more things. TSW has a good chance to add what many MMOs lack: faction pride. That was one of the strengths of DAoC and WOW. If you belonged to a faction, you really felt with it against the others. With TSW having three, I think that will make a good dynamic in the real game.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Leodious
    Templars are the clear underdog. Illus and Dragons change each other in domination and Templars fight kinda with the back to the wall most of the time. Being Templar, I don't mind. Illus and Dragons have the "dark cool" factor which attracts all the kids and wannabe's, and I enjoy fighting the underdog side of justice. ^^
    But it shows me one more things. TSW has a good chance to add what many MMOs lack: faction pride. That was one of the strengths of DAoC and WOW. If you belonged to a faction, you really felt with it against the others. With TSW having three, I think that will make a good dynamic in the real game.

I definitely agree. It is something that's so absent in many recent games, and I think it adds a great deal to both the community of a game and its longevity. I am of course wary of funcom's offerings, but Ragnar Tornquist knows how to put together a compelling narrative and develop a world. So I am hoping that combined with real faction tension that goes beyond a color or a symbol while also having to work together to fight something greater will make for good moments in the game. Some of the most interesting stories are those in which enemies actually have dealings with one another for various reasons.

As an aside, I am also a Templar, because doing what is right, fighting for justice and trying to stave off what is wrong or evil in the world is what's really important.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Watching it for the first few days, it does seem to go in waves.  Last night (UK time) Illuminati were hovering over 50% control with Dragon pushed into a poor 3rd place, now only a handful of territories outside the continental US are blue, Europe and Africa are solid Red and Illuminati briefly lost their "home" territory (NY). Wonder if there is actually a real-life timezone split between players of the three factions.

man muß noch Chaos in sich haben, um einen tanzenden Stern gebären zu können.

• SlheyasSlheyas Member UncommonPosts: 83

Watching it for the first few days, it does seem to go in waves.  Last night (UK time) Illuminati were hovering over 50% control with Dragon pushed into a poor 3rd place, now only a handful of territories outside the continental US are blue, Europe and Africa are solid Red and Illuminati briefly lost their "home" territory (NY). Wonder if there is actually a real-life timezone split between players of the three factions.

Seems like it, I'm Canadian and when I go to bed it's Illuminati domination, when I wake up we're at 20% at most.

Seems like the Americas are Illuminati, Europe Templar and Asia dragon.Wh

Which makes sense.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Slheyas

Seems like it, I'm Canadian and when I go to bed it's Illuminati domination, when I wake up we're at 20% at most.

Seems like the Americas are Illuminati, Europe Templar and Asia dragon.Wh

Which makes sense.

yeah, All factions stayed some time on the first, second and third position in the Facebook game, if the PvP population can be measured by this, I'm happy cuz it looks pretty balanced.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

The web based game is really good advertising for this game. And.. it's surprisingly FUN! Join the Illuminati... you know you want to.   Join the Secret War. The Dragons and Templars don't stand a chance.  XD