Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Subscriptions Declining Says Analyst

Comments

• SoopamanSoopaman Member Posts: 65

Its sad to see that ppl on these forums dont have a clue. Based on the article projected sub number for march 2013. SWTOR will have 1.25 mil subs.

The only question i will ask. Based on currect mothly sub number with other pay MMO. Why is this a bad thing?

The Gaming Community Can Kiss My Arse

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by flynn444

"Momentum appears to have stalled" is the analyst's basis for thinking subscriptions will decline. That's thin gruel for a prediction. I would think competition from the release of other A-list titles like Guild Wars 2 would have greater impact. As a SWTOR player since release, stalling momentum is not the impression I get. The recent update has resulted in the largest number of players in the game I've ever seen. Coupled with the forthcoming release of the dungeon finder and BW's decent track record so far of pushing out content, I think the game has juice enough in its legs. Although I think it's unlikely, it wouldn't surprise me at all if subscriptions actually stayed the same or increased.

You were seeing a lot of people because they gave EVERYONE who had bought the game a free week of time.  So yeah, the servers will be more populated.  No doubt some people did come back to check out the new content, but I bet even this weekend and the following weekends the servers will seem a bit lighter.

As far as Bioware's stellar track record of releasing content, they barely have a track record, not sure how you could call it stellar.  This is their first online game, and it's been out less then six months.  They have released two content patches (and quite a few bug fixes), which is mostly stuff they was slated to be in the game at release but didn't make it.  The 1.1 patch was mainly bug fixes with a couple instances.  1.2 arguably did contain a decent amount of content, however the anticipated feature of ranked wz's did not make it.  I don't really count that as a stellar record.  Maybe after the first year we can see where we are. 

Subs will rise and fall for sure for a while, however people have seen what it has to offer.  I don't think features like a dungeon finder is going to increase subscriptions over a long term.  Everyone knows that at the core this game is a story-based MMO with an endgame based on raiding, gear, and warzones.  Personally I think a large group of gamers are tired of that kind of endgame stuff.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854

Originally posted by Valentina
    Um, a game launching with 1.7 mil and having over 1 million at all this close after launch is pretty fantastic. Considering WoW had 350k during it's first year entirely, this is still impressive. The numbers have actually been increasing over the last  2-3 weeks, you can see it in the server selection there's more servers being populated again  when there had been a decline before. Also, this is hearsay/rumor and an "analyst". Funny how when analysts say good things, nobody believes them, but when they say negative things, everyone believes them...Hahaha..
    Except this "rumor" was first broke by the Burnout series product manager.

He also said that TOR did not meet sales expectations and subscriptions were declining. Multiple people from different sources saying the same thing.

Funny how when TOR has good news, you believe it, but when TOR has negative news, you dont believe it..Hahaha..

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Soopaman

Its sad to see that ppl on these forums dont have a clue. Based on the article projected sub number for march 2013. SWTOR will have 1.25 mil subs.

The only question i will ask. Based on currect mothly sub number with other pay MMO. Why is this a bad thing?

In 2013 I will be dating Megan Fox and she will fall in love with my hamster.

Do you doubt this? Well, my current projections show that it's true. So it is.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by Valentina

Um, a game launching with 1.7 mil and having over 1 million at all this close after launch is pretty fantastic. Considering WoW had 350k during it's first year entirely, this is still impressive. The numbers have actually been increasing over the last  2-3 weeks, you can see it in the server selection there's more servers being populated again  when there had been a decline before.

Also, this is hearsay/rumor and an "analyst". Funny how when analysts say good things, nobody believes them, but when they say negative things, everyone believes them...Hahaha..

Heh, how big of an effect do you think the Star Wars IP had on selling boxes though?  Do you think the supposed 1.7 million people would have bought the game if it wasn't Star Wars?  Probably not.  I got the game as Christmas gift and to be honest I would have returned it if I wasn't such a huge Star Wars fan.  Keep in mind again that they just gave a free week to EVERYONE who had bought the game.  I sure hope more people have been playing recently :)

It's also hard to compare SWTOR to a game that came out in 2004 when the MMO market was just a BIT different. 

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Why would we believe that number is true? Its no better and no more valid than a lot of other numbers people claim are true or will be true. Its only speculation. Analysts or not.. they are all guessing.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I'm not playing... but Bioware said they would have a healthy profit at 500k subs. If they have 1.2M subs in a year they will be extatic.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

It wouldn't be such a bad thing if the numbers were correct.

In many people's opinion, those who play or have played the game and have actual experience, the numbers quoted seem way too high.

I'd guess once the free time has been played out and things settle again, actual subs will probably be under 750k maybe even closer to 500k.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by EndDream

I'm not playing... but Bioware said they would have a healthy profit at 500k subs. If they have 1.2M subs in a year they will be extatic.

NO.

They said they would break even with subs of 500k over a 12 month period.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I love all the fanbois who dash in here to dispute this. Congrats guys you will say anything to defend your dwindling servers. What will you say when the free month they gave out is up and everyone is gone? If you think SWTOR is doing so great just look at EA's plummeting stock prices.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

I do love the hypocrisy of it all and it makes alot of sites look like idiots. Massively posting the article trying to take the high road when I know damn well they banned me over telling people not to over hype TOR.

This site and others fanboi'd that game hardcore and issues more then a few bans. I just love the irony of it all.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Lack of end game content and ghost town servers are my main beefs with the game.
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I have absolutely no regrets about unsubscribing. While initially fun, SWTOR quickly shows itself equivalent to a mediocre MMO from about 5 - 6 years ago.

Originally posted by Hurvart

Why would we believe that number is true? Its no better and no more valid than a lot of other numbers people claim are true or will be true. Its only speculation. Analysts or not.. they are all guessing.

I could careless about sub numbers. But when you add  the facts to a dabate it shows how ill imformed ppl really are.  I'm ok with ppl disliking or loving any game.

Originally posted by Puremallace

I do love the hypocrisy of it all and it makes alot of sites look like idiots. Massively posting the article trying to take the high road when I know damn well they banned me over telling people not to over hype TOR.

This site and others fanboi'd that game hardcore and issues more then a few bans. I just love the irony of it all.

I'm sorry, I dont see the irony you talking about. Why are these so call numbers bad.

Is there anyone on these forums that will debate facts and not  their opinions

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

we believe it is prudent to adopt a more conservative forecast on subscribers at this time."

Should have done that from the beginning. Companies keep thinking it's better to boast, but it isn't. It's far better to understate and have people think you're growing, than to over-state and appear to be bleeding profit.

Public companies use hype to get investors to buy their stock. Emotional volatility is the mana supply of the stock market...

With 1.7 subs for six months, they made $153MM and got back all the development costs plus free marketing from the hype. Box sales and other revenue paid for salaries and the gravy train. People will now be cut loose as they move into maintenance mode on a smaller scale... and that's the money cycle of projects in gaming. (imo)

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by Arkinia

Originally posted by crysent

Originally posted by Arkinia

don't need an analyst  to know the truth. However, I could use an analyst to help me figure out why I bought the CE version.

Nah, you don't need an analyst for that...Mob mentality (I'm guilty as well).  All the hype surronding the game prior to release..  It just kept snowballing...

at least I have a statue I can dust once in awhile! It seems more enjoyable then playing, go figure! 

I hope pun was intended

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by skulldron

I just hope they don't pull a NGE and make the game into another SWG. If people don't like it , screw them. problem is people jump into the game and finish the contents too fast.  

What else is there to do?  All you have is the quest content. Its not like there is an expansive crafting or other mechanic to waste time with.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Where is this report that states for a fact that 1000 jobs lost is due to TOR's failure?

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

use free space gameplay as your gateway to a open world type style of game. get away from the on-rails experience. lvl 50 is just a silly little prologue. 

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Paragus1

As Jero mentioned a few posts above me, consider the fact that the 1000 jobs being cut are partly responsible to TOR's bad performance, which means cut to the TOR team.   

Where is the article that states this as a fact, I am interested in reading it. I work as a stock analyst and the only OFFICIAL word that I have heard from EA is that it is a rumor, the only jobs "cut" were contract jobs that were coming due.

So once again where is this article stating all this as fact? I am just curious for business purposes.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by Obidom

Originally posted by musicmann

Originally posted by Obidom

Originally posted by Paragus1

It's a shame that 1000 people are going to lose their jobs who had probably nothing to do with the poor decisions made at the drawing board for this game.  The entire concept that someone thought one-time consumable story content which can't be produced nearly as fast as it consumed would keep people paying a monthly fee over the long-term is silly.  They should have just made a single-player RPG or used the bloated budget to make a full length motion picture.

is there a source for the 1000 job losses?

Plus can you name one game that within 3 months of launch had a fully functioning end game content? 10 years + MMO experince I cannot think of one game that had fully functioning End Game content at launch (of those that I have played)

People like yourself that think a mmorpg needs this so called endgame, is the main reason why we have these crapola games that come each yr. MMORPG's are about virtual world and communtiy building, that has the tools to deal with combat but on a equal level with out of combat systems that build player interdepenency with a real player economy. There should never be a start and and this so called end game finish. From the first minute login, a player should be set in this virtual world that has many tools and systems to let the player figure out what they want to do and how they want to play within the confines of the game. There are many other ways to enhance the overall playing expierience and add in content that has nothing to do with a rat on the wheel gear grind.

You seem to have taken the wrong end of the stick when it came to my post.

I do not believe any game needs to have complete endgame experience at launch, something to tide players over (those who PL to max levels for Epeen bragging rights)

I have taken 3 months to hit level 50, just started my alts, I play for the story not the endgame content.

I did too.  The question is what will you do when you played all 8 stories? Do it again knowing the outcome?  It just doesnt seem like a well thought out plan for longevity.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

[mod edit]

It does, doesn't it?

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by Jaedor

... With 1.7 subs for six months, they made $153MM and got back all the development costs plus free marketing from the hype. Box sales and other revenue paid for salaries and the gravy train. People will now be cut loose as they move into maintenance mode on a smaller scale... and that's the money cycle of projects in gaming. (imo)

You might want to brush-up on your math and on your knowledge about facts.

1. The game is just 4 months old, not 6 months.

2. Within this 4 months time every player got at least 30 days of "free" time. And more. :)

3. EA BioWare never stated they had 1.7 million paid subscriptions, they stated they had 1.7 million active accounts.

4. You do not know how expensive the production of the game was, nobody outside of EA knows and not even EA knows exactly (Project accounting is a tricky business).

5. You do not know how much money they need to cover the running costs (staff, servers, bandwidth, overhead, whatever).

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

the next big title for FTP.

<.<                                                         

This discussion has been closed.