Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Holly Longdale Talks Update 63

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

EverQuest II players were treated to the latest update to the game that brings the Skyshine zone into the game. We recently caught up with EQ II Producer Holly Longdale to talk about Game Update 63. See what we discovered and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

MMORPG.com: For those who have been away from EQ2 for a while, can you tell them what GU63 and Skyshrine is all about?

HOLLY LONGDALE: GU63 continues the Destiny of Velious saga. In the story, adventurers have breached the barriers of the Withered Lands seeking entrance to Skyshrine, the glorious ancient dragon city. Now that Skyshrine has become besieged by powerful forces, players must battle and befriend dragons and their wurmkin to save Skyshrine and, ultimately, the world from war and ruin.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's EverQuest II: Holly Longdale Talks Update 63.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

This game is almost too big for its population.

I was interested in rejoining. I started a character, ran through Antonica, Commanlands, and Freeport...

I think I saw 1-2 people.

It was a great game, though. I miss the old EverQuest. Here's to hoping for a Progressive Server.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

EQ2 is so dead... It's really sad :(

Smile

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by mmoDAD

I was interested in rejoining. I started a character, ran through Antonica, Commanlands, and Freeport...

It was a great game, though. I miss the old EverQuest. Here's to hoping for a Progressive Server.

try the Freeport server

and try any of the 4 starting zones - Greater Fay, Timorous Deep, Darklight woods, Halas

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Creation

not really anyone quests in Antonica/Commonlands

players are not even allowed to start in Qeynos / Freeport anymore

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441

eq2 is nowhere near dead, you have no idea what your talking about

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Early level leveling in EQ2 is very fast. There is also almost no need to ever group. That is why the starting areas always seem so barren. Once you are nearing mid and max levels you will see a huge population of players constantly running dungeons, doing raids and just partying.

EQ2 is very far from dead, but it is a very very top heavy game atm.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

With all due respect to other opinions, this (EQII) is what i would call  ''a good mmo''.

Even though they are very different, EQII and EvE are the only mmo's currenty on the market that I can truly enjoy.

Too bad that Everquest 2's combat animations look like $hit, thats the only thing keeping me away right now.

PS-Mounted combat doesnt have fancy animations either, BUT THAT IS TO BE EXPECTED, IM ONLY GLAD THAT THEY HAVE MOUNTED COMBAT TO BEGIN WITH (one of the features in EQII that i love the most).

But i just hate it when im like 5 meters away from my target, i swing my sword with a crappy animation (that gets cut-off half way to make way for a new skill), and than i still magically hit my target.

Well, I guess this is what people call; ''high fantasy''.

Otherwise, totally awesome and complete MMO, IMO. (With all the features that you can wish for in a traditional fantasy game:p) 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Game is OK.  However, this whole F2P thing.  I logged in yesterday to check out the new update on my 90 warlock.  I'm a silver member and first thing I notice is...I'm naked.  I refuse to pay to unlock gear that I earned already when subbed.  Second, I notice I can't go to the new areas or level to 92 because I am 80 AA points short.  Ok....and besides...trying to level while naked sounds like torture.  So, I logged off and haven't thought about the game at all until this article popped up.  

EQ2 is one of THOSE games that almost has/had me but drops the ball in the most important areas.  Ah well.

• AshrealAshreal Member UncommonPosts: 42
    If you are are turning vet and your toon is naked petition as they grandfathered in a bunch of folks bot too long ago.

Ashreal D'Synn - Shadowlover & Death's handmaiden

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by Krelian

With all due respect to other opinions, this (EQII) is what i would call  ''a good mmo''.

Even though they are very different, EQII and EvE are the only mmo's currenty on the market that I can truly enjoy.

Too bad that Everquest 2's combat animations look like $hit, thats the only thing keeping me away right now.

OMG! Totally agree.  Level 32 paladin adventuring in Kaladim. I LOVE the game but the client and animations are just too outdated for me to continue to enjoy.  Hoping EQN will be the return Im looking for.  Though GW2 seems to be shaking up the scene.  Interested in how large their zones will be. 

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

Originally posted by Razeekster

EQ2 is so dead... It's really sad :(

try the freeport or AB servers before you call dead.

the AB server has people everywhere and it's a pretty good community (seeing as it's the RP server that's somewhat to be expected).

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by elocke

I notice I can't go to the new areas or level to 92 because I am 80 AA points short. 

only need level 90 to quest the new zone, Withered Lands

the 280 AA requirement only affects being able to level beyond 90

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by elocke

I notice I can't go to the new areas or level to 92 because I am 80 AA points short. 

only need level 90 to quest the new zone, Withered Lands

the 280 AA requirement only affects being able to level beyond 90

lol wtf?

This is why I hate games with AA systems...

WoW's talent tree system was an improvement in almost every where upon EQ1's AA system, and EQ2's own system always struck me as a cheap imitation to cash in on fans of the original game.  Is it honestly a stupid idea to have a alternate progression system in place that actually increases alongside your character level, so that it is virtually impossible for one to fall behind the other?  There's 4 times the options for character advancement, but far less choice due to the way the classes are designed.    In EQ2, DPS will always be DPS.  Tanks will always be tanks.  Healers will always be healers.  Why should I have to sacrifice character level XP to gain AA points and vice versa?  It's just an artificial grind.

Originally posted by Ashreal

If you are are turning vet and your toon is naked petition as they grandfathered in a bunch of folks not too long ago.

the grandfathering only removed Race/Class restrictions and gave exsubs Silver membership

grandfathering wont affect being naked due to legendary/fabled gear

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

i can verify an early posters comments.  EQ2 is VERY top heavy and youll not find groups pre 80 unless your bring people(friends/family) with you. EQ2 Dungeon finder is trash as well so dont count on it pre 80 either. Other than that Everquest2 is a great game!

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

Originally posted by SuperXero89

WoW's talent tree system was an improvement in almost every where upon EQ1's AA system, and EQ2's own system always struck me as a cheap imitation to cash in on fans of the original game.

WOWs AA tree seemed to be inspired from their Diablo game

EQ2 didnt add AA to their game until 2 years after launch, Kindom of Sky expansion

regarding the 280 requirement to progress beyond 90

http://eq2wire.com/2012/03/21/280-aas-required-to-level-past-90/

The requirement exists so we (the developers) and you (the players) have a little more information about what a level 91+ player is. Right now if you form a pick up group, you really don’t have an idea whether your tank has 65 AAs or 317 AAs. The same goes for us, content for a level 90 with few AAs is pretty different than content for a level 90 with a whole lot of them.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

WoW's talent tree system was an improvement in almost every where upon EQ1's AA system, and EQ2's own system always struck me as a cheap imitation to cash in on fans of the original game.

EQ2 didnt add AA to their game until 2 years after launch, Kindom of Sky expansion

The requirement exists so we (the developers) and you (the players) have a little more information about what a level 91+ player is. Right now if you form a pick up group, you really don’t have an idea whether your tank has 65 AAs or 317 AAs. The same goes for us, content for a level 90 with few AAs is pretty different than content for a level 90 with a whole lot of them.

That is why the system is a failure.  How many points your group members have heading into a dungeon run should not even be a question on anyone's mind. Regardless of what inspired it, gaining one or even more than one point to put into a class tree every level is a much more efficient way of handling alternate advancement.  When you do that, there's no question how many points your PUG tank has.

Yes, I know when EQ2's AA points were released, and I find them to be a waste of time.  They add little else to the game other than a post-level cap grind, and don't even allow players the ability to fill multiple rolls per class.  WoW's talent tree system, and any game with a talent tree after it was easily able to achieve so much more with a far less complex and a far more newbie friendly system.

Originally posted by SuperXero89  WoW's talent tree system, and any game with a talent tree after it was easily able to achieve so much more with a far less complex and a far more newbie friendly system.

I'm in agreement there

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by mmoDAD

This game is almost too big for its population.

As others have said you might want to try the Freeport server. It has more complete newbies.

The veterans of EQ2 dont take their time to level. You can powerlevel a character to 90 in 5-6 hours, and now 90-92 in another hour or two. Less on a double xp weekend. I got a new Beastlord up to max level by letting my friends Shadowknight powerlevel me for 3 hours on a double xp weekend.

Also all the old content pre-90 is a bit redundant due to gear bloat. They improved old world gear and now pretty much everyone can solo group dungeons in treasured gear (solo gear for the uninitiated). So there is no real reason to group at low levels unless you are completely new to the game.

Another reason youll see no population in the world is due to guild halls. Once you are done with leveling, you have no reason to hang out in the world at all, everything is done via guild halls. One person runs out and drops a flag and the whole group can teleport straight there for raids and dungeons.

The game is far from dead though. Just top heavy.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

Not as expensive as everyone is making it out to be, just buy double or triple station cash when the opportunity presents itself. This means expansions (as well as everything else) is either half or a third of regular price.

Originally posted by nuttob

Not as expensive as everyone is making it out to be, just buy double or triple station cash when the opportunity presents itself. This means expansions (as well as everything else) is either half or a third of regular price.

very true

the SC sale specials happen 4-5 times a year and its very easy to buy a YEAR sub, for only 50.00

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by SuperXero89  WoW's talent tree system, and any game with a talent tree after it was easily able to achieve so much more with a far less complex and a far more newbie friendly system.

I'm in agreement there

I prefer deeper and something you have to earn vs.  effortless and 'newbie friendly'.  The probalem with WoW is that once you ht max level you will never, ever, under any circumstances imporve your character.  You are finished, done.  Oh sure, you can get gear, but when you replace that gear, its as if you never had the prior piece.

Different systems appeal to different people.  yes, the masses like everything handed to them and prefer WoW, but fortunately there are games for people that like an overall deeper, and more rewarding, experience.

Also, AAs in EQ2 you start getting at 10 and if you dont have 250+ by level 90 it means you rushed to cap.  Rushing to cap can be understandable to people not on AB or FP though.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

That is why the system is a failure.  How many points your group members have heading into a dungeon run should not even be a question on anyone's mind. Regardless of what inspired it, gaining one or even more than one point to put into a class tree every level is a much more efficient way of handling alternate advancement.  When you do that, there's no question how many points your PUG tank has.

How is it any different than in WoW not knowing what kind of gear your tank has?  Thats why they put in then ilevel locks to the dungeon finder.  You think a fresh 85 should be able to queue for heroic dragon soul instances?

And again, you want it to be efficient, you are a destination guy, not a journey guy.  Just because the AA system is not designed for people like you does not make it a bad system.

Im never a fan of gating people from content, however gating people from using a randomized lfg tool is in fact a good idea.  They should be able to run the content on their own though, even if it means certain death.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Not to mention that eq2 is farming out its Euro business to a company called Prosiebien.Sat.1.   there have been many threads about this hundreds of pages and no real answers from SOE,  while Colder over at Alaplaya  Prosieben that is gave some.

If you have an all access pass you going to have to pay double after the deal is done.

One has to ask whats going to happen to the US servers, are they going to sale that part of the player base?

that is one question that should have been asked in the interview.  I sent it to the news guys over hear and they turned a blind eye to that entire problem.

On and one thing if you don't have the AOD xpac from last year half of the stuff in gu63 will not work for you, so much for an optional no content xpac. 

Originally posted by erictlewis

If you have an all access pass you going to have to pay double after the deal is done.

the details are still being worked out - double is only your assumption

FAQ

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=1&topic_id=516733

Can European players still purchase an All Access plan from SOE?

European customers will no longer be able to purchase new SOE All Access subscriptions beginning March 29, 2012. European customers with existing All Access accounts in good standing will be able to continue playing the All Access games until ProSiebenSat.1 Games begins to provide its multi-game plan. We will share more details as available.

How and when will SOE inform the players about each game migration to ProSiebenSat.1 Games?

Existing customers will be notified by email 30 days prior to the migration.