Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest MMO fail

123457»

Comments

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by ulthar50

More often then not, when we get together my gaming friends and I always seem to wind up dissecting various MMO failures, e.g., "This game failed because of this. That game failed because of that." This got me thinking. What was the greatest MMO failure? Was it HGL? AoC?

Just curious as to the collective wisdom of the interwebs.

I think in order to answer that question, you need to first define what you mean by "fail". Otherwise, there's no core context to the discussion, and answers will be all over the place, based on each person's idea of what "fail" means to them.

Do you mean failed objectively, as in, failed to attract or maintain enough people to continue running and so was shut down?

Do you mean failed to live up to the original hype created by the developers, where the released product was nothing near what the PR and marketing talked it up to be? Warhammer comes to mind there.

Do you mean failed to live up to people's individual expectations?

"Failed" is far too general a term left on its own.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

MMO-industry.

Has there ever been one realy good game?

I heard WoW had some issues when it launched, as such I believe it's junk and not worth of my money. If they can't launch perfectly they can't make a good game.

So what MMO needs to be for not to fail? Launch in perfect condition, be totaly fresh, but still feel familiar. Sell billion copies at launch and keep atleast 2 billion subcribers for 10 years? Deliver content every other week and so on ;D

In my mind if game did make profit it's not great failure even if it was dissapointing. If game was killed because lack of subs, then there is something wrong with the game and/or company...

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

the greatest Fail of the MMOs was the MMO players themselves   BOOM!!!

(I failed as well..too lazy to sift through 16 pages to find out if someone beat me to it )  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Ekaros

In my mind if game did make profit it's not great failure even if it was dissapointing. If game was killed because lack of subs, then there is something wrong with the game and/or company...

Take this perspective.

The 1% on wall streets all make huge profits, yet those people who protested them on 99% consider them failures as human beings and being bad as a whole for society. If they made their investors and their firms money are they truely failures?

Basically what I'm saying is that without defined metrics on what constitutes a failure then its all up to interpretation. Is McDonalds the best tasting food in the world? Its sure a popular restaurant but does popular equate to good or it just a sign of medocrity that is became popular because of marketting or because the consumers have lowered their standards...

This is whats called an opinion....

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    For me, Dark and Light was the greatest fail. Final Fantasy 14 was pretty bad too.