Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

EA lays off 1000 - link inside

13

Comments

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,586Member Uncommon

    Electronic Arts Memorandum:

    Please be advised that disciplinary action will contune across the board until morale and productivity improve!

    That is all.

    Thank you.

  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Riverside, RIPosts: 3,265Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Mage_Francis

    The majority of the people getting laid off were probably customer service employees.  Since SWTOR has declined in subscription numbers over the past couple months it wouldn't be a big surprise that they trimmed down some of there staff.  This is pretty normal in the gaming industry.  A 1000 people may seem like a lot but I'm pretty sure they aimed a little high during their initial hiring phase.  I just got hired at funcom doing customer service for TSW and if it doesn't sell well then I'll be released in 3 - 6 months.  The fact that those 1000 people have experience working around a big title such as swtor it should be no problem for them to find a new job in the industry.

    This isn't true. Everyone knows EA doesn't have Customer Service. image

    Played: AA, AC1, AC2, Aion, AO, AoC, CO, CoX, DAoC, DCUO, DN, EVE, EQ1, EQ2,
    ESO, FE, FFXI, FFXIV, FF, GW1, GW2, Istaria, L2, LoTRO, MO, MxO, NW, Rift, RoE,
    Ryzom, SB, SWG, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, WAR, WoW, WURM...

  • IncomparableIncomparable KuwaitPosts: 872Member

    my comment wont edit - i guess someone is quoting me :D

    “Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,586Member Uncommon

    OK, I have a question that the article did not address.

    How many of those layoffs are contracted employees coming to an end?

     

  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts El Do, KSPosts: 1,555Member

    Originally posted by Bardus

    Originally posted by Elikal

    Guess work force is cheaper in Asia, eh? Kick some 1000 American jobs and hire 2000 Chinese for half the bucks.

    I am so tired of locust capitalism.

    That's true, they are hiring in Asia as they cut jobs elsewhere. It's going to show in quality and only drag EA down more (meaning no disrespect to Asians but sorry, child slave labor shows in quality)

    They did a good job on my sneakers, and I hear they are all good at math. Sounds like just the innovative thinking that has taken EA to the top of the industry. Hopefully when it does all finally catch up to the CEO's they have the common sense to shoot the unbreakable glass before they try to jump out of it.

    "I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

  • MephsterMephster Tyria, NJPosts: 1,188Member

    Originally posted by TruthXHurts

    Originally posted by Bardus


    Originally posted by Elikal

    Guess work force is cheaper in Asia, eh? Kick some 1000 American jobs and hire 2000 Chinese for half the bucks.

    I am so tired of locust capitalism.

    That's true, they are hiring in Asia as they cut jobs elsewhere. It's going to show in quality and only drag EA down more (meaning no disrespect to Asians but sorry, child slave labor shows in quality)

    They did a good job on my sneakers, and I hear they are all good at math. Sounds like just the innovative thinking that has taken EA to the top of the industry. Hopefully when it does all finally catch up to the CEO's they have the common sense to shoot the unbreakable glass before they try to jump out of it.

    CEO's and common sense don't work in the same sentence I'm afraid.

    Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

    http://www.grimdawn.com/

  • firefly2003firefly2003 Los Angeles, CAPosts: 2,555Member

    Originally posted by Elikal

    Guess work force is cheaper in Asia, eh? Kick some 1000 American jobs and hire 2000 Chinese for half the bucks.

    I am so tired of locust capitalism.

    Vulture Capitalism I call it.

    image

  • HurvartHurvart ystadPosts: 565Member

    The idea in general is that a company should use people from the best schools in EU/NA for the most qualified jobs. And that all other work should be done in Asia and perhaps also sometimes in Africa and south america.

    Companies are doing that even if they are successful and profits are high. Because they always want more. If they can find people willing to work 14 hours/day for $1 its not possible for ordinary workers in NA/EU to compete.

    Of course this also means that there will be growth in other parts of the world and sallarys will gradually get higher. Eventually there will be a balance. Because the price of work also depends on supply and demand. Demand will increase in Asia and decrease in NA/EU. Sallarys will get higher in Asia and lower in NA/EU until there is balance. Attempts to artificially keep sallarys higher in NA/EU will cause worse economical crisis and will eventually fail.

  • ButtskiButtski NilPosts: 185Member Uncommon

    what?! they don't lay them off!

    they just 'adjust the structures' because swtor was such a hit!

  • Jason2444Jason2444 Kingman, AZPosts: 372Member

    Originally posted by Zekiah

    Hmm, good thing I held off on buying EA stock then. image

    You were considering it in the first place?

     

    You got balls.

    MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

  • Coltaine00Coltaine00 Calgary, ABPosts: 52Member
    It is a double edge sword. First, to the guy who had his sister layed off from Tims, might need to consult a lawyer, since that is a violation of Canadian TFW program on the surface (without having additional information).

    Part of the reason we enjoy cheaper consumer goods is because there is outsourcing and cheap overseas labour. Do you shop at Walmart? Walmart is one of the largest importers of Chinese goods in the world. That is the reason you're able to buy that 10$ toaster and the american company that makes them went out of business 10 years ago. A business like Walmart has so much purchasing power it can set their pricepoint to suppliers (generally that has worked in reverse, following the standard rules of competition). However, when Walmart dictates to suppliers how much it will pay, the suppliers change their habits (outsourcing) to meet demands. And you don't say no to Walmart. Just look at what happened to rubbermaid, which was then acquired by Walmart.

    Now that was completely off topic.

    While I do think EA is a terrible company, outsourcing isn't exactly totally evil on their behalf. Part of the way capitalism works and how we can afford the materialistic lifestyle we do is off the backs of the poor around the world. Someone is always exploited for the benefit of others.

    Now that isn't
  • ZekiahZekiah Aurora, COPosts: 2,499Member

    Originally posted by Jason2444

    Originally posted by Zekiah

    Hmm, good thing I held off on buying EA stock then. image

    You were considering it in the first place?

     

    You got balls.

    Lol, that's actually related to another thread that claimed the game wasn't dying so I asked if I should buy EA stock now.

    If I did anything with EA stock, you can be assured it would be to short it. image

    "Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

  • Paragus1Paragus1 Philadelphia, PAPosts: 1,739Member Uncommon

    The sad part about this is that the people who end up losing their jobs probably won't be the same people higher up who made the moronic design decisions that are responsible for the poor performance.

  • ZaltarkZaltark Lockhart, TXPosts: 421Member

    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/16/ea-denies-report-of-incoming-mass-layoffs/


    HMMM INTERESTING. EA/Bioware just like lying to the masses dont they?

    Originally comes from:

    http://startupgrind.com/2012/04/exclusive-electronic-arts-set-to-lay-off-500-employees/

    Derp. My bad. This link goes to startupgrind. Not evidence that its happened yet.

  • BardusBardus Cornet, ALPosts: 460Member

    Originally posted by Zaltark

    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/16/ea-denies-report-of-incoming-mass-layoffs/



    HMMM INTERESTING. EA/Bioware just like lying to the masses dont they?

    Originally comes from:

    http://startupgrind.com/2012/04/exclusive-electronic-arts-set-to-lay-off-500-employees/

    Derp. My bad. This link goes to startupgrind. Not evidence that its happened yet.



    "The publisher told MCV there are no layoffs "as such ." The company rep said, "At any given time there are new people coming in and others leaving. EA is growing and hiring and building teams to support the growing demand for digital games and services."

    What does "as such" mean? A layoff is a layoff so either they are or they aren't, don't incluce some "as such" if they don't want us to think it's only some laim PR.

    New people coming and others leaving can also mean out with the American jobs and in with the Chinese.

    Come on EA , if you don't have anything to fear, why all all the smoke and mirrors?

    EA sounds like I did as a teenager when I got busted with beer and playboys in my room.

    image

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common

    all news cite startupgrind as source

    http://startupgrind.com/2012/04/exclusive-electronic-arts-set-to-lay-off-500-employees/

    UPDATE #1: EA has released a statement in regards to this post.

    UPDATE #2: EA has released another statement with Joystiq.

    UPDATE #3: Interesting takes from Benzinga and AllThingsD.

     

  • ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member

    So as usual, much ado about nothing.

    Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

  • ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member

    Originally posted by Bardus

    EA sounds like I did as a teenager when I got busted with beer and playboys in my room.

    Tsk Tsk...  That's what the abandoned buildings in the neighborhood are for ;)

    Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon

    I feel bad for those losing their jobs. image

    image

    What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

  • doho7744doho7744 phoenix, AZPosts: 31Member

    Originally posted by itgrowls

    typical corporatism today, just like others on this thread i await the hardcore to explain this away as something other then TOR.

    Hate that the suits can just do whatever they want and the rest of the universe can burn while they sit in their yachts and drink champagne. Typical, it's like what happened with the banks in 2008.

    Actually the whole industry took a beating Q1 2012, not just EA so its not difficult not to blame this on TOR since all the other publishers don't have anything to do with it yet they lost money to.  Still "haters gonna hate" right?

  • joocheesejoocheese San Antonio, TXPosts: 845Member

    Originally posted by Tayah

    I feel bad for those losing their jobs. image

    yup, its sad that people had to lose their jobs due to the icompetence of the EA/Bioware SWTOR leadership. I hope that those that lost their jobs were directly responsible for SWTOR failures and those who were just following orders were spared.

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,900Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Paragus1

    The sad part about this is that the people who end up losing their jobs probably won't be the same people higher up who made the moronic design decisions that are responsible for the poor performance.

    Yep exactly, which is why I don't think people who dislike EA should chalk this up as a victory, those responsible will still be coming to work, and making as much as 10 of those fired.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  • BardusBardus Cornet, ALPosts: 460Member

    Originally posted by doho7744

    Originally posted by itgrowls

    typical corporatism today, just like others on this thread i await the hardcore to explain this away as something other then TOR.

    Hate that the suits can just do whatever they want and the rest of the universe can burn while they sit in their yachts and drink champagne. Typical, it's like what happened with the banks in 2008.

    Actually the whole industry took a beating Q1 2012, not just EA so its not difficult not to blame this on TOR since all the other publishers don't have anything to do with it yet they lost money to.  Still "haters gonna hate" right?

    TOR isn't the only reason but it's a $200+million part of the reason. Do a little research on why EA won 'worst company in America" and get back with us. That's worst company, all catagories, all companies, nation wide. It didn't get that vote from IGN, MMORPG, or any gaming related anything. That vote came from Consumer Reports so it goes a bit deeper than a down trend in this industry.

    image

  • LydarSynnLydarSynn Jonestown, ALPosts: 182Member

    It looks to me like EA is toast. Their stock is plummeting on heavy volume. I think EA may well be heading fro bankruptcy at some point.

  • Jason2444Jason2444 Kingman, AZPosts: 372Member

    Originally posted by LydarSynn

    It looks to me like EA is toast. Their stock is plummeting on heavy volume. I think EA may well be heading fro bankruptcy at some point.

    Don't count on it.

     

    All those have to do is release FIFA 46: Extreme Limited Collectors Edition and their stock will bounce right back up

    MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

Sign In or Register to comment.