Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: First Beta Weekend: April 27-29

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Originally posted by Magnetia

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

This will be the first real test to this games salt. General public are the hardest critics and tend to find the flaws in game play and mechanics very fast. I am looking foward to seeing what the masses say.  I took the gamble and my wife and I will be playing and I know I wont be pulling any punches. The GW fanboys will love or hate me come April 30th.

The surprising thing is Anet wants us to criticise their game so that they can make it even better than what they imagined. There are some things that just cannot be tested until it goes live (this beta test may as well be a live day1 test for public)

I have seen so many people post ignorant comments and can't wait to counter-argue with solid information instead of hearsay, logic  and youtube videos XD.

Perhaps we should compile a list of things we should check out during the weekend?

For me its dynamic events and WvW. Dynamic events need to be just that, dynamic and fun. WvW better bring me to the days of DAoC and then push that to the next level. If thats all GW2 has then I will be sold. For my wife its the purdy things. She is a woman and does not want a class designed by boys. Her char needs to be about more then just the boobs. Player housing will be a big thing when this comes in to play.

There is no list of must go see to make a judgment. Each player has their reasons to play an MMO and I am sure they will flock to the thing they love. ANet better have their ducks in a row on this one =-) I think my needs will be covered with WvW. From what I have seen of crafting I am glad that wont be a huge selling point as thats one area I think ANet may have dropped the ball.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

This will be the first real test to this games salt. General public are the hardest critics and tend to find the flaws in game play and mechanics very fast. I am looking foward to seeing what the masses say.  I took the gamble and my wife and I will be playing and I know I wont be pulling any punches. The GW fanboys will love or hate me come April 30th.

We're not suppose to pull punches. It's a beta test and they obviously want our feedback. Personally, I plan to put a thief class through as many different PvE and PvP situations as possible just to see how it performs.

One thing I have to say though is that it's obvious that ANet is pretty confident of their product and letting the masses play it. I mean they are dropping the NDA months before the game launches. That has to be a good sign.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I was at work when the annoucement came out on twitter and one of my team guys comes and tells me all excited.

Turns out 

1. They were on social media when supposed to be working

2. Planning sick days over that weekend (overheard)

I ended up giving them the weekend off (as well as adjusting my own schedule image )

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

I was at work when the annoucement came out on twitter and one of my team guys comes and tells me all excited.

Turns out 

I ended up giving them the weekend off (as well as adjusting my own schedule image )

You're the coolest boss ever lol

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Turns out 

You're the coolest boss ever lol

A happy worker is a busy worker..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• CastranCastran Member UncommonPosts: 11

BTW mmorpg.com its the fourth beta weekend, not the first.

Way to get your facts straight.

• carebear77carebear77 Member Posts: 86

Got my pre-purchse and the universe is waiting :)

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

No! Not THAT weekend!!! I...can't ..I just....can't . I need to be at a .. "baptism" if that's the word :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• VamperoVampero Member UncommonPosts: 38

I just can wait to get my ass in game and do WvW at lvl 1...lol

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by BadSpock

These forums are going to be VERY interesting on the 30th of April...

Haha yeah :p

My AntiTroll Claymore is ready.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180

Luckily I work early hours so I get the rest of the day for Guild Wars :D

And judging by the picture of the Sylvari and the Asura... do you think they will be availble that weekend?

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Very excited. Can not wait. I finally broke down and pre ordered the game.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

And the NDA is lifted so we can all comment about what happened to us ingame over the weekend!

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

The moment of truth is almost here. I'm not expecting the second coming of Christ. Far from it. But I do hope the game manages to be different enough to feel somewhat fresh and not like yet-another-wow-clone with a pointless gimmick or two attached. From what I've gathered by watching countless beta videos, it seems that there's enough for me to like it, but it's not the same as being in direct control of your character. So, crossing my fingers for this one.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• SparkaSparka Member UncommonPosts: 52

Hope they let the old CBT testers in for the weekend too!

Wonder when the blog will update with the download info for the beta weekend event?

Tweets said yesterday it was suppose to be updated yesterday or possibly today.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I hope Anet figures out a way to control the population and spread it out so everything doesn't just turn into a huge zergfest.  I'm sure there's going to be a ridiculous amount of people participating.

Originally posted by Alders

I hope Anet figures out a way to control the population and spread it out so everything doesn't just turn into a huge zergfest.  I'm sure there's going to be a ridiculous amount of people participating.

Good way to make sure everything is up and running for retail release

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Sparka

It will be available to all CBT as well.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I think I'm going to just skip the beta weekends, betting a lot on GW2 and I want it fresh :P Other thing is, I often play "the other faction" in mmorpg betas and since there's no factions it's easier to just skip it :) Though betas often give a good indication of which class is most fun for me, but lets just say they are all fun except the necromancer with its ugly ass spell effects and "pets" worth of a facepalm ;)

• KrayfishKrayfish Member UncommonPosts: 147

I had a chance at testing previously  (not even sure if i can say that without getting slapped), and I'm glad I did because I was not a follower of the game at all until I tested. I now can't stop thinking about playing. My expectations in the long term are realistic however and I will not get overly hyped. just because it's not worth getting too worked up.

I am excited though anyway, and I actually find part of that is the whole fact I will never have to put money into the game if I don't deem it neccesary, not being tied to a sub for once is a relief.

But anywaaay, BREENG EEEET AWNN BEEEBEEEE!

• FistyMayhemFistyMayhem Member UncommonPosts: 61

I'm not sure whay people feel they need to hope people don't enjoy a game, and  be overly vocal and annoying about it..  really.  I'm not interested in Star Wars, it's too much like WoW for me and I'm totally bored with Wow.  However our roomate LOVEs it, he plays it 8-14 hours a day.  Do I bitch at him and tell him he shouldn't like it 'cause it's WoW with light sabers?  Hell no, I bought him a monitor so he didn't have to play on his old crappy LCD TV with an insanely low resolution.  I listen and smile as he goes on and on about this or that in game, I have no interest in it myself but I am happy that he is happy.  Now, granted, he is our roomate and I call him friend.. but it really doesn't matter if he is a friend or not.  Not wishing someone to be uphappy is called being a decent human being, there are a lot of people who frequent this site that should try it out sometime.  >.<

All that being said, I never played GW1, I have little in the way of specific expectations.  There are many ways to make me happy with an MMO and plenty of ways to make me unhappy with it.  Being that there is no monthly fee even if I only play it for a month before getting bored I'll still feel like I got my money's worth out of it considering the game play time and price of most single player games.  I do hope that it grabs me like EQ1 did, I have no idea if it will but I will see.  I have played many other MMOs since I retired my 7 year old dwarf rogue, none even came close to that evercrack type of draw.  I honestly doubt GW2 will, I'm just a realist, but I do expect to find it at least mostly enjoyable.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Man, the download is going to take forever! All these people.... I better upgrade my broadband service so it will go faster, either that or just connect by ethernet because wireless is never as good with things like this.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Originally posted by Sparka

It will be available to all CBT as well.

Huh?!  I've gotten the impression that invitations for previous beta tests was only for one weekend and to participate in more tests you would have to get a new invitation. Arenanet have also made it a big point in their marketing, that the only way to be sure to be in the BWE is to pre-purchase.