Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Guild Wars 2 won't be an esport.

asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

there are too many imbalances in the traits.

For example, http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#e;ap...feaa;Zaaa;ZUfib

An engineer with 100% uptime for elixir b, or an elementalist with near 100% uptime of speed boost.

sc, lol fifa, etc. has a even playing field. gw2 without the traits is fine for e-sport, but with the traits its causes a few complications and an uneven playing field.

Comments

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

That is a 20% faster elixir cooldown. The elixer B would still have a 16 second cooldown.

Edit: I don't think the buffs will last as long as they are in beta right now. 10 seconds of fury makes that elixir crazy even without the traits.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

This was an insightful post which included many aspects which gave credence to your opinions and conjecture, thank you for posting such an indepth 'article' on why GW2 wont be an eSports.

You have truly opened my eyes to the truth, and your skills as a industry professional able to look into the future of a game are unparralled.

*cough*

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

whether its balanced or not doesnt matter. just look at wow.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

You realize this game is in beta right? If things are deemed to be imbalanced, they will be balanced. Having played GW1, I know that (for the most part) builds that would break PvP as a group or even as a single player, were nerfed pretty hard pretty quick. You can thank Izzy for that, and he's gonna be doing the same thing here in GW2.

• asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by Kreedz

This was an insightful post which included many aspects which gave credence to your opinions and conjecture, thank you for posting such an indepth 'article' on why GW2 wont be an eSports.

You have truly opened my eyes to the truth, and your skills as a industry professional able to look into the future of a game are unparralled.

*cough*

i hope i feel worthy upon your gaze.

deleted

Originally posted by Kyelthis

You realize this game is in beta right? If things are deemed to be imbalanced, they will be balanced. Having played GW1, I know that (for the most part) builds that would break PvP as a group or even as a single player, were nerfed pretty hard pretty quick. You can thank Izzy for that, and he's gonna be doing the same thing here in GW2.

Dude, I prepurchased this game on the day it was released...25 ce copies.

And i still continue to play gw1 couple hours a week.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Beta

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by asianbboy101

Dunno what that has to do with my post, but ok. I was just pointing out that according to their past balance with GW1, I wouldn't worry about it too much. All we can do is wait and see at this point, send some feedback in beta and hope they catch some of the more major balance issues before release.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Originally posted by DannyGlover

what are you saying...wow is very balance.

WoW is an MMO, so that in itself means its not balanced. On top of the fact they change something about each class every update. Nice try though.... :-)

Dunno what that has to do with my post, but ok. I was just pointing out that according to their past balance with GW1, I wouldn't worry about it too much. All we can do is wait and see at this point, send some feedback in beta and hope they catch some of the more major balance issues before release.

lol i still remember the vor imbalance, forgot the ranger spike build [the one you use flail], sp assassin. good ole days.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Holy shizzle my nizzle 25 Ce copies.

Oh and I'm sure you can't wait for [beta] lol

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by mackdawg19

WoW is an MMO, so that in itself means its not balanced. On top of the fact they change something about each class every update. Nice try though.... :-)

Apparently he deleted the post where he claimed WoW is balanced.  Good, because that's a total lie.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

So nobody read the interview that came out a week or so ago, where somebody from Arenanet pointed out that all the traits were severely imbalanced in beta and that they were currently working on them, and they were all placeholders and they realized most of them were balance breakers?

No?

Okay.  Carry on then.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Eir_S

Apparently he deleted the post where he claimed WoW is balanced.  Good, because that's a total lie.

Mages and Rogues think WoW is perfectly balanced.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• Crake_1Crake_1 Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

E-sports are a myth, stupid term as well.. that is all :)

Tell that to South Korea. They loves them some professional gaming. 

Originally posted by Meowhead

So nobody read the interview that came out a week or so ago, where somebody from Arenanet pointed out that all the traits were severely imbalanced in beta and that they were currently working on them, and they were all placeholders and they realized most of them were balance breakers?

No?

Okay.  Carry on then.

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/interviews/traits-and-builds-interview-jon-peters

You mean this one Meowhead?  Don't forget to read part two!  It's an interesting article!

Oh, thanks Meowhead.  I appreciate the link.  I'll go read part two, right now.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I don't know whether or not people will consider Guild Wars 2 an e-sport, but basing your balance issues on a BETA without a release date might be one of the stupidest ideas I've seen in a long time.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Who cares?

Going off this thread it sounds like none of you are part of the esport community. GW2 being an esport or not isn't a selling point for the game, from the standpoint of the average gamer. We don't play games because they are an esport, no one cares.

The only reason Anet announced this at all, is due to Anet wanting (as a longterm goal) to inject themselves into the Esport community. Furthermore, as has been stated already in this thread, complaining about balance in a game that is currently being balanced w/ no release date, is indeed monumentally stupid.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Even if one class was permanently 15% faster than all other classes, that would not "break" the class.  Speed could just as easily be a class mechanic, though it isn't in GW2.  You cited LoL as a balanced esport.  Every character has varying movement speed in that game.  Additionally, just like traits, you can choose to set your runes and masteries for speed increases with 100% uptime.  Just like everything else, though, there is a give and a take involved.  If you do that, you sacrifice stats elsewhere, just as it will be in GW2.  

No?

Okay.  Carry on then.

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/interviews/traits-and-builds-interview-jon-peters

You mean this one Meowhead?  Don't forget to read part two!  It's an interesting article!

Oh, thanks Meowhead.  I appreciate the link.  I'll go read part two, right now.

thanks meowhead. gonna read it in a few minutes. i suppose that makes sense, they're just placeholders.

i thought wow was pretty balanced. except one class here and there. such as the rogue.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

i thought wow was pretty balanced. except one class here and there. such as the rogue.

rogue? what are you smoking if you wanna call any class unbalanced, its the freaking paladin. least during wotlk they were, i'm pretty sure they kept their OPness through cata tho. they could tank the best in the most fights, best tank healers, and even topped dps charts on alot of fights too. rogues only had dps.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

You guys still don't get it do you?  http://www.teamquitter.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=27150

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

You guys still don't get it do you?  http://www.teamquitter.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=27150

An article several months old, based off of stuff that was outdated even in alpha, and where half the complaints were 'This isn't GW1'?

Okay.