Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Improved Early Play Detailed

2»

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I enjoyed the gameplay of TERA. But I couldn't get past level... 7?  The quests and mundane world were overwhelmingly uninteresting.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Very good idea, surely, but is this going to turn into another AoC where the first 20 levels of awesome fun/interesting content quickly turn into something else entirely?

I feel like if they are only updating maybe the 1-10 zone it is kind of false advertising if the rest of the game stays as is.

I made it to like 17-18 in beta before I had just had enough...

IMO it's important to have a certain consistency in the quality of content as you progress without any nose-dives off a cliff once you get past "the good stuff."

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Except everyone that was playing KTERA told us that after 20 was where the game opened up and got better, hence why EME put so much effort into the first 20.  We'll have to see.

As far as what EME can or has the ability to accomplish they have already proven it even before this "enhanced" 1-20 experience.  There are even changes EME has made that have been copied over to Korea.

As far as the cutsey factor... it does look pretty PG on the island lol.  My advice would be to watch some videos of the later content, especially the Argon portions.  Some of those mobs and environments look really great.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Kehdar

Originally posted by Vhaln

Big claims to make out of the blue, right before launch.  We'll see...

Least they seem to have a grasp on what the game's lacking.  Just not sure they have the means to do as much about it, as they'd have us believe.

Then we are lucky there is an open beta, so everyone can check what they actually changed without taking their word for it, aren't we?

Yeah, I guess.  Defensive, much? image

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by Vhaln  

Yeah, I guess.  Defensive, much? image

Sorry didn't mean to sound rude. It turned out a bit too harsh, wasn't my intention :)

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Razeekster

Originally posted by Sector13

I might give it a few mins, going to be busy playing the Phantasy Star Online 2 closed beta. 

I thougt CB was only for over seas people... I want in!

There's ways around everything. Just had to know where to sign up. 

• ODWX9000ODWX9000 Member Posts: 17

Sounds more like just another flop waiting to happen because the developers don't look like they know what they want aside from money.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Originally posted by Mannish

Very nice to see how this company listens to there players and makes improvments based on that. Never seen a company do it like this before.

have you ever played a computer game?

Learn to read and comprehend. I said that I have never seen a company do it like they way they are doing it. I never said that no other company listens to there players. Everybody else got what I said. Why didnt you?

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I was gonna pass on this as I've already purchased TSW and GW2 but someone gave me a free DCE so I guess I may as well play out the free time.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I enjoyed the gameplay of TERA. But I couldn't get past level... 7?  The quests and mundane world were overwhelmingly uninteresting.

This. Echoed by a lot of people.

The game simply wasn't doing a good job of pushing it's selling points early enough. The average gamer is going to take 4-5 hours minimum before they hit level 20 and actually start to experience the "good" stuff. Waaaay too long in this day and age. Honestly, they should have pushed out these improvements and had us testing them in the closed betas. Could have made a notable difference in the press received thus far.

Although to frank, speaking as a big fan of this game, it's going to take a MIRACLE to make the quests more interesting :)

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

All sound like good improvements :)

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Wish me luck (and I am serious) I want the game to do good because we need more choices other then WoW clones galore.

good luck.

and cheers to you and everyone who promotes MMOs finally changing up the old MMO cliches, and experimenting with new elements.  indeed, we are sorely in new of new options, even if we don't like the particular options on a personal level.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Mehve

Although to frank, speaking as a big fan of this game, it's going to take a MIRACLE to make the quests more interesting :)

as suggested by several people, only do the orange/red color-coded main storyline quests.  

and then just (old school style) kill WHATEVER mobs you feel like killing, for fun (yeah, it actually doesn't feel grindy when the combat is engaging), and to make up whatever little bit of xp you lack to keep going on the main story quests.

ignore all the yellow side quests.  i dunno why people act like they are so much worse in Tera than your average MMO.  ALL quests i've ever read really sucked ass, and i've ALWAYS hated questgrinding.

and at least in Tera they aren't mandatory, as you get decent xp just from killing.

Corpus Callosum