Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next - Any information at all?

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Out of curiosity I decided to look into EverQuest Next and surprisingly, I've learned very little.  Does anyone have any information regarding the title?

I know it's supposedly an 'alternate' reality so it won't be a true sequel to EQII.  Also, there's something to do with webcams that somehow translate your character's facial expression in game... it was just hinted at here: http://www.everquestnext.com/

Also, “Think about this, EverQuest players, think about a physics engine that is built into every single aspect of your gameplay. We’ve partnered with Nvidia and their amazing PhysX platform. It means that we can bring you the most amazing characters and environments ever seen before in an MMO, or a single player game.” -- interesting indeed.  Makes me think the combat would be more action/twitch based, possibly.

Anyone have info? Thoughts on how the game will be? Any EQ vets have any theories?

Personally, I'm kind of hoping EverQuest Next will be what VANGUARD kind of set out to be but came up short on.  I'm hoping SOE will create a large open world, giving the players plenty of freedom and empowring them in sandboxy ways while also filling the world with plenty of adventures to embark upon and places to explore.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I would like to know too. But I am a bit afraid of what this will be, also.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I think the timeline is supposed t obe 500 years before EQ1......Supposedly they are going to make the game more like EQ1 than EQ2 but who knows how it will turn out really.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

It will be free to play.

How do I know this? Because every SOE game has turned free to play. Except maybe Planetside, or did that go free too?

I know Planetside 2 will be free to play.

And SOE free to play is the 2nd worst in the MMO industry. In terms of pay to play to free to play conversion. The only other one that is worse is Age of Conan.

It is only good if its like LOTRO, or better yet...Ryzom or Aion. Those are truly free to play conversions. Especially Aion, which was surprising to see it more free than Ryzom. DDO is good too, better than LOTRO. At least you can truly play for free in both of those, with time to get coins or whatever to buy stuff with, that you can earn in-game. And Aion (at least North America), you don't have to spend a dime and there is so much things to do.

It is why I'm not looking forward to Vanguard free to play. It will probably suck unless you pay for it.

But yeah, Everquest Next will be a free to play MMO...no reason for SOE to go back to pay to play, since all their games are free to play now.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I think the timeline is supposed t obe 500 years before EQ1......Supposedly they are going to make the game more like EQ1 than EQ2 but who knows how it will turn out really.

Then its going to be similar to the ps1 version of Eq1 which also takes place 500 years before EQ1 ... I just hope Ykesha is still alive because he was my idol XD

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Even though I love the Everquest frachise I cannot bring myself to play another SoE game.

• armathiusarmathius Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Theocritus

That was the basis for Everqest Online Adventures.  The latest I read on EQNext is that it is in  a separate timelime which could make for some interesting new lore.... Good Lucan.... Evil Antonia Bayle.  Although I think most players would reject that :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

not much is known but its been discussed at the EQNext thread in EQ forums

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/345707/Everquest-Next.html

a new mmo engine is being designed that Planetside2 will also use

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111555-EverQuest-Next-and-Planetside-2-To-Use-New-Forge-Light-Engine

in the last 5 months, SOE has moved the lead programmers from both EQ and EQ2 to EQNext

SOE is still hiring C programmers for EQNext

http://www.soe.com/careers/

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

Bleh, the OP has a legitimate question. There are several threads exclusively devoted to "why I hate SOE". What is the need to fill a thread regarding a question about an upcoming game with posts about what they dont like about SOE when it is completely irrelevant to the question about new information on EQ Next.

OP- the majority of what I have read has been hearsay, speculation and desire. The actual project is under tight wrap. I am just as curious as you are. I would be relatively certain that as information comes out it will fill this forum like a fat girl in a phonebooth. Along with the obligatory SOE sucks posts.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    EQnext will be a premium game set within an Open World envireoment.

It will feature free-form mechanics (ala gw2), w both target and aiming combat, etc. & will play out over a geopoliticle spectrum controlled by NPC factions. It's system requirement are rather high, so don't expect a peep about until 2013...

When everyone is on 64bit os & dx11... etc.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    The only thing I know is that it will be the secod game on their new forgelight engine (Planetside 2 being the first).

It seems to be in very early stages still. I wouldn't count on seeing this game for a couple of years.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• awatts79awatts79 Member Posts: 7

Personally, I'm kind of hoping EverQuest Next will be what VANGUARD kind of set out to be but came up short on.