Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest: Unique Logs Ins Up 150%

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment is reporting that unique log ins to EverQuest are up 125% since the game went free to play last month. Concurrent user counts are up 40% as are new registrations for the classic game. Lastly, fans have purchased 125% more in-game goods.

Source: Gamasutra

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Congrats to them!  That's not easy to do :)  Sort of speaks about current 'newer' options though...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

What is 125% of 14?

• ZarkiZarki Member UncommonPosts: 30

Can joke about it being 14 but last I checked, EQ1 still has more live servers running than many of the newer mmo's that have launched and 'died'.   Not bad for a game that launched in 1999.

• ElmorenElmoren Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 110
    Headline says 150, article says 125. GG copy editing.

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Elmoren

Headline says 150, article says 125. GG copy editing.

from article source

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168752/EverQuests_freetoplay_switch_causes_125_rise_for_ingame_purchases.php

Sony Online Entertainment said this week that unique log-ins for its long-running MMORPG EverQuest have increased by 150 percent since the game went free-to-play in March.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Originally posted by colddog04

What is 125% of 14?

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

At least they didn't give us some useless statistic like "1,000,000 warzones played!"

>100% Unique logins means more people are trying the game after it went free. If its 5 more, 50 more or 500 more it still points to the F2P model being more successful these days.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• MentalCrashMentalCrash Member Posts: 22

Everquest never really had anything wrong with it other then being to hard for newer gamers, and now that all these other MMO`s have brought players. Some are noticing Everquest is truely a great MMO, tons to do in it and tons of content to explore. And it don't have a really kiddie feel to it.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

its ugly, that is whats wrong with it

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

The SOE F2P model is horrible and i cant believe people are actually getting suckered in.

O well my money is safe :)

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

EQ may be ugly but it  has substance and depth not like the shallow tripe that is coming out these days

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Nethermancer

The SOE F2P model is horrible and i cant believe people are actually getting suckered in.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

What is 125% of 14?

17 and a half

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Originally posted by Meltdown

100% Unique logins means more people are trying the game after it went free. If its 5 more, 50 more or 500 more it still points to the F2P model being more successful these days.

How does this equal success?  Getting a ton of people to come try your newly free game isn't 'success', getting them to stick around for months or years and buy stuff is success.

It's the same crap we get every time one of these games goes F2P. Press release touting what a success their first month was, then... Nada.

How people can still tout the "success" of an FtP conversion in the first month, I don't know. When one of these companies comes back with big success numbers six months or a year later, then it'll mean something. Until then...

You went free and lots of new people logged in? How shocking and unexpected.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

What is 125% of 14?

17 and a half

Uhm, kinda yeh, but even then, up by 125 percent would mean that 31 and a half person logged in.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• vardarvardar Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by Myria

100% Unique logins means more people are trying the game after it went free. If its 5 more, 50 more or 500 more it still points to the F2P model being more successful these days.

How does this equal success?  Getting a ton of people to come try your newly free game isn't 'success', getting them to stick around for months or years and buy stuff is success.

It's the same crap we get every time one of these games goes F2P. Press release touting what a success their first month was, then... Nada.

How people can still tout the "success" of an FtP conversion in the first month, I don't know. When one of these companies comes back with big success numbers six months or a year later, then it'll mean something. Until then...

You have no idea how a buisness runs do you? even if 1 person logs in a ftp server, that = success dude, lol...never open up your own buisness

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Originally posted by sacredfool

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

What is 125% of 14?

17 and a half

Uhm, kinda yeh, but even then, up by 125 percent would mean that 31 and a half person logged in.

Darn MMO math. so up 125%: 14 + 14 =28 (100% of 14)  plus 3.5 (25% of 14) =31.5

Got it. Thanks

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

At least they didn't give us some useless statistic like "1,000,000 warzones played!"

>100% Unique logins means more people are trying the game after it went free. If its 5 more, 50 more or 500 more it still points to the F2P model being more successful these days.

There are long lines when the govt gives out free cheese.  So doesn't that mean f2p is cheesy?

Look, people are going to give it a try, that doesn't mean long term value.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Myria

I think EQ2 has most certainly been a success.  Over a year and a half later and the most populated server is the original f2p server, plus increases on all the other servers that went f2p 6 months ago.

As far as EQ1, it probably wont be as big of a success just due to the games age and the fact that the leveling curve in EQ includes AAs and people make the mistae of rushing to level 75 or higher and end up with weak toons and less variety of content to AA in.  Im seeing level 80s on Vox with less than 250 AAs.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

The only suckers are the ones that think the turbine model is magically better.  6 of one, half dozen of the other.  EQ's model is fine.  Not for everyone, but it works for a LOT of people.

The ironic thing is SoE would make mor emoney off the turbine system because Turbine sells content and EQ and EQ2 are the #1 and 2 games in the industry in content, but they give all of it away for free. (and yes, over 80% of it, 95% in EQ2's case, is playable with the silver restrictions)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Good for them. I loved EQ back in the day but with the insane restrictions they've put on the F2P model it's not worth the download in my honest opinion. It would have been fine if they just used the EQII model but for some stupid reason they've made EQ twice as restricted. Oh well I got over 3 years of enjoyment out of the game back in 1999-2002 so going back now would be mostly for reminiscing puposes and would probably be short lived. I'm glad they are seeing a new surge in population however as at it's core it's still a great game.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Suckered in how?? I have a level 65 f2p cleric and havent paid a dime......The SOE model is more restrictive than most , but it is still doable.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Originally posted by Brenelael

Good for them. I loved EQ back in the day but with the insane restrictions they've put on the F2P model it's not worth the download in my honest opinion. It would have been fine if they just used the EQII model but for some stupid reason they've made EQ twice as restricted. Oh well I got over 3 years of enjoyment out of the game back in 1999-2002 so going back now would be mostly for reminiscing puposes and would probably be short lived. I'm glad they are seeing a new surge in population however as at it's core it's still a great game.

Bren

What lot of people aren't understanding is you can still play your old characters and you're account is silver......IF you still know your account info yo uan log in and start playing where you left off.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I'm one of those new logins. Just last weekend created a toon and spent $5 for the silver upgrade.

People used to chatter on the WoW forums how much content had been sourced from EQ and I really had no idea until I played the game. I actually /facepalmed when I saw the banner for the orcs; it's very apparent that WoW's horde banner is a take off.

It's a simple game, reminds me of WoW. But as a new player, I get to explore and see what things are like. And most importantly, I was able to buy a spacious house for 5s. :)

• MagnusAlanMagnusAlan Member UncommonPosts: 13

Boxers, I'm telling you. Its probably mostly boxers.