Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest MMO fail

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

vanguard

and I say this because it should be / should have been the best mmo ever. but it wasn't / isn't .... etc

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

FFXIV , why?

it dissapointed both FFXI players and ppl looking for a more "casual" FF mmorpg...

has improved? yeah , lots of new things ....but until 2.0 ....i wont give it another chance.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

to me its Swtor 200+ mill for a game that is far to easy, horrible pvp, and i could go on for ever with what is wrong but you get the point.

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

Greatest fail would have to be Vanguard. Considering the hype surrounding the game anyway. At the time, I'd say the hype before release was on par, if not greater than GW2's current hype. And, that's saying a lot considering the lack of social media and overall game coverage at the time.

Before release, we saw all these shiny screenshots, listened to amazing zone soundtracks, concept art, listened to Brad Mcquaid go on and on about how amazing the game would be. I think he even labeled it as the "true" EQ sequel. Then, after launch, reality set in. From the bugs to HORRIBLE optimization and complete and utter lack of end game content (content in general from 30ish+ actually) the game was a total mess. I believe the game lost around 75% of it's initial subscribers within the first 30 days.

Shortly after release, we learned about all the budget issues and how a considerable amount of the game development staff was randomly fired right on the spot one day. Brad himself up and quit as well. The game may be ok now, but it's first impression (which means everything) scared everyone off.

Sad thing is, if Brad Mcquaid (one of the original EQ creators) released a well funded, properly planned MMO today, I'd still probably play it.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

1.) Warhammer Online

2.) Tabula Rasa

3.) FF XIV

4.) Vanguard

If SWTOR was an MMORPG it would be in my number 2 slot.

There is the AAA failures. 

Then there is some other failures that we dont need to mention. Dawntide is one example were the ideas were better than the actually doing. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by ace80k
    Greatest fail would have to be Vanguard. Considering the hype surrounding the game anyway. At the time, I'd say the hype before release was on par, if not greater than GW2's current hype. And, that's saying a lot considering the lack of social media and overall game coverage at the time.
    Before release, we saw all these shiny screenshots, listened to amazing zone soundtracks, concept art, listened to Brad Mcquaid go on and on about how amazing the game would be. I think he even labeled it as the "true" EQ sequel. Then, after launch, reality set in. From the bugs to HORRIBLE optimization and complete and utter lack of end game content (content in general from 30ish+ actually) the game was a total mess. I believe the game lost around 75% of it's initial subscribers within the first 30 days.
    Shortly after release, we learned about all the budget issues and how a considerable amount of the game development staff was randomly fired right on the spot one day. Brad himself up and quit as well. The game may be ok now, but it's first impression (which means everything) scared everyone off.
    Sad thing is, if Brad Mcquaid (one of the original EQ creators) released a well funded, properly planned MMO today, I'd still probably play it.

if I win the lottery im hiring him and making vg 2

just gotta make sure he takes a regular drug test :)

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134

FFXIV is the biggest failure of an MMO at launch and it will be the biggest success story of making a comeback by the end of the year.

Ok maybe im dreaming but can i not have hope?

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I cannot believe that no one saw the obvious opportunity to answer the OP in rhyme.

... OK, fine then, I will start, if anyone can think of a song that it could be sung to, please let me know.

I think Tabula Rasa was the saddest disaster

Garriot and co dropped the ball

it should have been great

but it launched in that state

and now no one plays it at all  :(

Final Fantasy 14, as fun as a ruptured spleen!

and was clunky the way that you fought

it lacked so much more,

and the quests, such a bore

not holding my breath for 2.0

The Stargate MMO, died before it could show

how much fun shooting aliens could be

the shows went downhill

with melodrama overkill

now as fashionable as a purple goatee

Star War Galaxies, many a sandboxer fancies

till WoW gave bad ideas to S.O.E

then it became much less deep

though the crafting was still neat

but we all still curse you, N.G.E!

Warhammer online, came out just in time

to give us all much improved pvp

but is sucked at the rest

though it had public quests

sadly it was just not meant to be

then Age of Conan, the critiques did pan

though the melee did rely on your wits

it was made in Norway

from Funcom they say

and at least it did give us some tits

Vanguard is a game, with so few players, its a shame

its graphics look good to this day

it had diplomacy and ships

and nice racial picks

cannot wait for it to go free to play

The Matrix online, gave us all a good time

It’s fate was clearly a dark villain’s will

It was a lesson to learn

even if your Laurence Fishburne

that sometimes, just take the blue pill!

Star Trek Online, could have been so sublime

But Cryptic didn’t care, not at all

made on the cheap in 3 years

cash shop as big as Ferengi ears

Leaving the game was no tribble at all

As to which was the worst, the biggest player's curse

it would have to be the one they call Earthrise

it looked shit from the trailers

and the beta was aimless

it's death was not a massive surprise

Your turn.

Actually if anyone know how to rap, that would be even better

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Decided to clone EVE.

Perpetuum they did conceive.

They told us Bots and Mechs would kick ass

but instead we got Micromachines in the grass.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Actually almost all major mmos since the release of World of Warcraft and the growing massive success of the mmo market.

What was a niche market before with great ideas and art did change into a huge market with amazing high profits but suffers from pure duplicating, questionable marketing strategies and business ideas...at the end a lot of the big blockbuster mmos didnt expect how they are doing after release. This whole gaming market will be even worse in the future, with a lot more questionable and aggressive business politics, not just in the mmorpg genre...it did start alreaedy, heads down.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

I'd have to say Tabula Rasa...it died and went away very quickly...I managed about a week before I couldn't take it anymore...I Unsubbed and cleaned off my computer... My friend convinced me to try it as a "scout" for our gaming group to see if it was worth our collective time... It was not..

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Kyleran

Biggest disappointment for me was WAR, for some reason i had hoped that it would be a good spiritual successor to DAOC and that wasn't how it turned out.

If it makes you feel any better, a bunch of the guys that developed for WAR were transferred to work in SWTOR image

And firefly2003, if SWG just got fixed and not altered like what the CU and NGE did, I'd likely still be playing there.  Ever since me leaving due to the NGE in 2005, I've never really called any other MMORPG "home."

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Only MMOs that ahve to sht down are fails..

I really dont consider the likes of AOC a fail infact the opposite sure it was not what they promised but it was still noe of the best themepark MMOS out there..

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Dezyne

Hmm. Fury if you can call it an mmo, and The Chronicles os Spellborn seemed to crash and burn pretty swiftly.

I played while is was free and I love it, the lore, the skill deck were really great but Fighting same mobs with diferent names gets old fast.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by Caldrin

I really dont consider the likes of AOC a fail infact the opposite sure it was not what they promised but it was still noe of the best themepark MMOS out there..

Unfortuantely there are many sense of "fail"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fail?s=t

fail

   [feyl]  Show IPA

verb (used without object)

to fall short of success or achievement in somethingexpected, attempted, desired, or approved: Theexperiment failed because of poor planning.

to receive less than the passing grade or mark in anexamination, class, or course of study: He failed in history.

to be or become deficient or lacking; be insufficient orabsent; fall short: Our supplies failed.

to dwindle, pass, or die away: The flowers failed for lack ofrain.

to lose strength or vigor; become weak: His health failed afterthe operation.

The first definition states that fail means to not meet an expectation.  Most MMos that come out do not meet expectations and thus most MMOs fail.  The topic is which one failed the most.  It's not to say which one is the worst but which one didn't meet expectations the most.

Age of Conan is by far the biggest fail in MMOs.  The game lauched with barely any quests, the PvP was imbalanced as all hell and the "one million accounts" Funcom noted dried up after the free month ended.

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

Originally posted by troublmaker

fail

   [feyl]  Show IPA

to fall short of success or achievement in somethingexpected, attempted, desired, or approved: Theexperiment failed because of poor planning.

to receive less than the passing grade or mark in anexamination, class, or course of study: He failed in history.

to be or become deficient or lacking; be insufficient orabsent; fall short: Our supplies failed.

The first definition states that fail means to not meet an expectation.  Most MMos that come out do not meet expectations and thus most MMOs fail.  The topic is which one failed the most.  It's not to say which one is the worst but which one didn't meet expectations the most.

Age of Conan is by far the biggest fail in MMOs.  The game lauched with barely any quests, the PvP was imbalanced as all hell and the "one million accounts" Funcom noted dried up after the free month ended.

AOC launched with barely any quests? are you for real?

Lets face it, no game will ever live up to the expectations of the irrational masses , and expecting a game to solve all the worlds and your  problems is irrational and thats what most of you expect. So all games are fail from the start.

What really needs to happen, is for all the kiddies and kewl ppl who started playing WoW becuase everyone else was playing, and not playing becuase they love RPGs and wanted to play an online version with others, need to go back to thier consoles, FPSes and whatever else the kewl ppl do and leave this genre alone, then and only then can we get back to games that are actually good and not made to please the unpleasable masses. 

Godz of War I call Thee

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Vanguard for me..could'nt get past lvl 3 on release day ..all quests were bugged and i was'nt gettin xp for kills.then when we eventually got to lvl up i remember doin a dungeon called graystone..while we were in there one after another we took turns to crash while never moving.once one got back into game another crashed..but you know wot,its still the best mmo i ever played by miles.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155

SWTOR without any doubts.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by waveslayer

Originally posted by troublmaker

fail

   [feyl]  Show IPA

AOC launched with barely any quests? are you for real?

Lets face it, no game will ever live up to the expectations of the irrational masses , and expecting a game to solve all the worlds and your  problems is irrational and thats what most of you expect. So all games are fail from the start.

What really needs to happen, is for all the kiddies and kewl ppl who started playing WoW becuase everyone else was playing, and not playing becuase they love RPGs and wanted to play an online version with others, need to go back to thier consoles, FPSes and whatever else the kewl ppl do and leave this genre alone, then and only then can we get back to games that are actually good and not made to please the unpleasable masses. 

The expectations of the masses are built up by the companies.  Funcom and Mythic spent a tonne on marketing  to make sure that Age of Conan and Warhammer Online were hyped beyond all imagination.  The term "WoW killer" was coined directly relating to Age of Conan which the developers constantly touted would change gaming and kill off all inferior brands.

And yes, my argument was that a game could fail in many ways and that is ia definition problem, a language game.  A game could fail me because it did not meet the hype the devs fed, but others who were not around for that might think it was fine.

Yes Age of Conan shipped in a very incomplete state.  Damn near everyone who leveled was forced to do it via PvP.

The vast majority of people who play games are 18-35... and that is most of what WoW's audience is.  They are not "kiddies."  Unless of course you play Alliance then it's all kids!

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I'm not sure its fair to do this... but I would go with Vanguard.

One could easily write a lord of the rings trilogy sized post about that game.   The typical knee jerk reaction is to blame SOE somehow.   Which is only easy to do if you ignore the years and 10's of millions Microsoft put into that game before cutting Sigil off.   (I was in beta when it was still a Microsoft game).

The "vision" was pretty good... the mismanagement between the brain and the "vision" was just sad.

I could go with the typical when the CU or NGE went live and totally destroyed a game I loved... post.   I just think Vanguard is the better example because that game really could have been awesome.   The rumors that came out about what was going on at Sigil HQ... would really explain a lot.

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

Well according to this thread everything.

Yes I played SWTOR.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Hauvarn

Pretty much for me.  For many reasons, I no longer play MMORPGs.  Haven't since 2009.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Hauvarn

Correction: According to the BOARD, everything.

Unbroken string of failures eight years long, no end in sight.

Something's wrong with the criteria for "fail", apparently.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.