Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SMITE: PAX East Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During PAX East this year, we managed to catch up with the folks behind SMITE and an opportunity to get our hands on the game. Check out our first-hand report and then let us know what you think in the comments.

After playing a match on the convention floor, I was definitely impressed with what I had seen. The combat was very engaging, the graphics looked great, the shop was easy to sort, and the map was still that very familiar DotA map that a lot of MOBA players have come to love.

Read more of Hillary Nicole and Bill Murphy's SMITE: PAX East 2012 Hands On Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

WANT TO PLAY!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by afropuff420

WANT TO PLAY!

Right?! It's a ton of fun.  I can't wait until we can get you guys in there via beta giveaways.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Yeah - after watching Pokket's video - I'm really excited. I'm glad someone finally came up with this idea. It's like wow pvp on a dota style map with similar mechanics. 

There was a game I played a long time ago called Fury (i think) and it kind of reminds me of this. Really fun game, but I guess it was way before its time. They shut it down years ago.

• xholyaccxholyacc Member Posts: 57

the moba/ action them have been done by loco , unfortunately with the lack of poloshiness and  hero balance. but this look pretty polished . no last hitting and denying as the "core" gameplay. this gonna be more agresive and fun. count me in Bill?!

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

I'm also very excited! and it's not cause of the game... if you know what i mean ;)

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• NviousNvious Member UncommonPosts: 21

Double post my bad

Originally posted by BillMurphy

DOTA game-type that was spawned so many years ago in Starcraft

Do you mean WC3, when you are refering to dota? Or the gameplay itself?

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Yeah, this game literally came out of no where for me, and now I'm really excited to try it out!

Smile

• radman9000radman9000 Member UncommonPosts: 17

looks very interesting

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

The 3rd person camera really adds a lot from what i could see... i didn`t play any MOBA for years... but i`d sure buy and play this.

The one thing i may not like is the small number of heroes(15 they say) and if two players can`t pick the same one... but that`s about it i`ll still try it at launch anyway.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I didn't hear anything the guy was saying, too distracted :P

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Nvious

Nope, Aeon of Strife started it all in Starcraft 1, believe it or not!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Cleric1234Cleric1234 Member Posts: 8

I played at PAX and the game is a TON of fun. They left out a good deal in the review though. For one, every  ability is a skill shot. Second, each character has FOUR abilities (unless you count your mouse click which is basically an autoattack minus the auto), but you can buy up to 2 more abilities throughout the game as opposed to selecting them before like in LoL. That added for a really interesting dynamic considering some skills are useful early on but trash end game. The devs also talked about how the game allows for pushing lanes right off the bat, which is something a lot of people try to do in other moba's anyway.

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

So glad someone finally made a fantasy MOBA in 3rd person . Not really a big fan of isometric.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

Originally posted by Nvious

Nope, Aeon of Strife started it all in Starcraft 1, believe it or not!

Thanks for that. Learn something everyday.

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

wow...that looks and sounds awesome

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

She seems somewhat entranced by this guy for whatever reason; till he says he's married with kids...then she turns all professional like and gets knocked out of her gaze.   You can tell he can tell, it's almost embarrassingly noticeable...he had to end it with the married with kids bit…classic       xD     

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Hey Bill! Get Pokket new mics. Those look like the same mics she used in the Neverwinter developer interview she did recently and it had horrible and staticy audiio then too.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Whoa, wtf. That dude looks just like me. Poor guy.

• JohnShieldsJohnShields Member Posts: 35

The video is jacked up... don't even bother watching. The audio is all messed up.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

It's free to play - which means cash shop to win in pvp.  How anyone spends five seconds not knowing this is beyond me.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I didn't know Bob Saget made video games.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

so WoW style mmo combat in a non mmo game. great..means mmo combat might finaly start evolving into someting better and moba can take the old shit :P

• Cleric1234Cleric1234 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Comaf

It's free to play - which means cash shop to win in pvp.  How anyone spends five seconds not knowing this is beyond me.

Umm, what? Plenty of games use this business model nowadays. LoL, Super MNC, and Bloodline Champions are all moba games that use it and you can't "pay to win" in any of them.