Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Cloudy with a Chance of Veldspar

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the biggest and most interesting features in EVE Online is its bustling economy. In today's One Jump Home, we take a look at the EVE Online economy and give our unique take on it. Keep reading!

But don't let me fool you into thinking I'm some sort of EVE economist, or have any economic background at all. For the most part, like everything in EVE when it comes to me, I have a passing interest in the clockwork operation of an element of the game. EVE's economy functions based on the creation, sale, and destruction of goods. Most if not ALL of EVE's actual ISK is generated by handouts from CONCORD. CONCORD pays bounties, mission rewards, incursion payouts, and so on regardless of the space you're in. CONCORD is effectively 'The Bank' (but not really).

Read more of Ross McDermott's One Jump Home: Cloudy with a Chance of Veldspar.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

The drone regions killed rare mineral trading for me (and destroyed the value of nox especially). When killing space robots was faster/better/easier than mining for minerals, something was very wrong with that system.

When I quit eve (monocle-gate and CCP's lack of respect for players finished it off), I could make ~15 million isk/hour mining in high sec. Versus 40 mill in null. However, I didn't have to pay any taxes (beyond the normal npc stuff), and didn't need to pay corp mates to guard me, and my risk factor was very low, barring the hulkageddon times. So that "40 million per hour" drops way down once you consider all the factors. And while mining was boring (I'd only do it for an hour or two at a time, unless I found an exploration site with lots of nice juicy low sec roids to melt), it was profitable and safe.

I used two accounts of course to do my mining, hulk/orca with maxed everything. If you enjoy mining in Eve, get a second account ;) otherwise it's an exercise in frustration. Filling 200km3 of cargo space with ore in just over an hour was very satisfying (and profitable). And I'd usually make a million or so on the salvage from the npc rats while I was at it.

• KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56

Reasonable read but the figures are seriously out of kilter. Mining ABC you can easily make 100m per hulk per hour currently. That is great ... except minerals costs feed into every t1 and t2 ship in game (a t1 hull is needed to craft a t2 ship) so the economy is in meltdown in many cases and prices are soaring. That wouldn't matter if people were willing to pay the increased prices but sales volume in a lot of t2 ships is way down. That equation of supply and demand also goes out of kilter because:

4-5 alliances are massively manipulating prices on technetium;

people are anticipating the jita "hell" shutdown at the end of the month;

the anti macroer campaign is biting;

datacore changes could savage invention and therefore all t2 production.

Good time to be a miner or tech owner perhaps.... as long as people are willing to pay your prices.

Personally I've done what many people have and just raised my prices as i'm in an area where demand is much greater than supply. I feel for most other less established or new industrialists though.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'm playing WoW until DUST comes out. It's a good time to take a temporary break from Eve.

• DrakolusDrakolus Member UncommonPosts: 134

I'm far from what anyone would call a dedicated and sucessful trader but changes like this provide opportunity.  The current speculation bubble in mineral prices is fueling a run on minerals meaning the miners are actually making a bit more isk.  This has knock on effects where everything produced via T1 minerals (basically everything on the market) is going up in price.  As the price on certain minerals hits various upward points, other modules and items that don't usually see a lot of trading suddenly explode in volume.  That's the reprocessors running the numbers and figuring out that it's cheaper to melt down widget x to get the mins and sell em.  Furthermore characters with mining skills are now going up in price on the character bazaar as people try and "get with the program" before the changes actually hit.

Overall this means a lot of new market "holes" that need to be filled meaning crafty traders and new marketeers who are willing to learn have a lot of opportunity.  Adding into all of this is the "crackdown" on mineral compression meaning logistics are starting to be even more useful (as in hauling, not repair).  This again will provide opportunity.  When smart corporations war dec the big alliances they tend to go right for the logistics chain instead of their combat arms.  Many 0.0 "big" alliances have fallen or been reduced in power by attacks on their supply chain.  The inability to bring mods/mins/shineys in from Empire and to export your moon goo/mins/faction drops cuts into the alliances isk making capabilities and can eventually cripple and paralyze an Alliance's combat capabilities.

Long story short?  Bring on the changes and all of the chaos and profiteering that will go along wtih them! :)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well nice article, but you fail to point out the major issue with Eve resource collection, mining.  It is so mind numbingly boring and clumsey that it is botted most of the time.  Why CCP has never addressed this issue is mind boggling.  Isn't the idea of playing a game to have fun?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Well nice article, but you fail to point out the major issue with Eve resource collection, mining.  It is so mind numbingly boring and clumsey that it is botted most of the time.  Why CCP has never addressed this issue is mind boggling.  Isn't the idea of playing a game to have fun?

That went out the window when people started paying more attention to a companies stock prices and when joining an alliance/guild/corp turned into another job interview...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

[mod edit]

Ever heard of spell check?  Secondly comment on the article.  Nothing wrong with the article.  I used to mine a lot, but the thought of doing so any more just is not something I would look forward to.

• White_TreeWhite_Tree Member Posts: 13

I'm training for hulks on my alt right now, time to mine doze roids. :toot:

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

Mining boring? Botting?

I know plenty of people that enjoy mining, find it relaxing and rewarding to say "This ship I made myself" though they cry hard when it dies...:P

Seriously all games have their 'grindy' part, if you don't like that in eve, don't do it.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

In september 2011 i bought my first myrmidon for 22 milion, last i check they where costing 55 mil.

New players are having a hard time as their income is very very low compared to a veteran player.

Mining never had this much profit i think, so good times for mining corp and mining players.

Last 5 days prices are dropping abit, so maybe it will stabalize now ?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Mothanos

In september 2011 i bought my first myrmidon for 22 milion, last i check they where costing 55 mil.

New players are having a hard time as their income is very very low compared to a veteran player.

Mining never had this much profit i think, so good times for mining corp and mining players.

Last 5 days prices are dropping abit, so maybe it will stabalize now ?

T1 ship prices are now quite close to what they were when I started playing in 2006. But at that time as a new player my income opportunities were far lower, not to mention all the other helping hands new players get nowadays (no learning skills, cheaper learning implants, cerebral accelerators, more developed market, all mission agents are +20 qual now, mining high sec ores pays out about 3 times as much, etc etc etc)

So unless "new players" have become *much* less adaptable and determined in the last 6 years, I think they'll manage somehow.

I don't think they have and I think they will.

Give me liberty or give me lasers