Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will animation lock ever be removed?

CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
Is tera destined to always have animation lock?
It's the only thing pushing me towards a refund..

It'd make it so much more fluid if it lacked it

Comments

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Have you seen how some of the game's special abilities are performed especially some of the warrior attacks? If we didn't have animation lock these abilities would become instant attacks like wow's mortal strike, heroic strike, bloodthirst etc. You would just run around your enemy attacking him while hoping that he won't be able to hit you. You won't need to think before using abilities and just use ionthem when their CD is over, it would be another rotation game. You can try to do rotations in TERA but don't come complaining that some skilled player beat you in PvP, because the game is not meant to be played like that. Also, some glyphs will remove some of the rooting limitations of some of your abilities and that adds another dimension to customisation with glyphs, because taking glyphs that are designed only for damage dealing will gimp you in your mobility.

In tab-target games the absence of an animation lock mechanic is acceptable because you can't move out of the way when someone attacks and such a mechanic would be pointless. However in TERA it's supposed to make you think before you attack, because that attack might be a big  mistake due to the animation lock. If you don't like that, then this game is not for you and you should cancel your pre-order.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

Is tera destined to always have animation lock? It's the only thing pushing me towards a refund.. It'd make it so much more fluid if it lacked it

If subs decline fast after release and this is the thing most people are whining about on their way out, there's always the possibility of recreating the combat system for western audience. It would propably even be quite easy, taking away the lock, editing and redoing some animations + tweaking the numbers now that there's more instants that allows you to move while the animation rolls. Maybe 50/50 would work, keep some nukes and combos as locked but turn some of the lesser attacks into usable while moving? /shrug

Havent played the game but I dont like the idea of every single move rooting me in place.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

I agree that the game would feel 'smoother' without the animation lock - as the next poster stated - without it you're not playing the same game and would change things dramatically. For the worst in my opinion. I also hated the animation lock, but I also figured out that I was playing a character that wasn't for me. I tried all the classes and finally settled on one that I really enjoyed. I honestly hope they don't remove it, because I think it would hinder the combat.

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139
    Have the people who complain about this ever played a real action game before on any of the other platforms?

I DON'T want this mechanic to change.

The whole fricking game is balanced around its current mechanics (PvP, mobs, glyphs, crystals, gearing). There are changes being made (warrior) and other being added (the other classes).

Besides, it would look stupid. Combat loses its weighty feel.
    When thrusting my lance it feels heavy. My character slides a bit forward due to inertia and elegantly proceeds to perform the next skill.

L2P TERA combat:

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Himemiya

Have the people who complain about this ever played a real action game before on any of the other platforms?

I DON'T want this mechanic to change.

The whole fricking game is balanced around its current mechanics (PvP, mobs, glyphs, crystals, gearing). There are changes being made (warrior) and other being added (the other classes).

Besides, it would look stupid. Combat loses its weighty feel.

When thrusting my lance it feels heavy. My character slides a bit forward due to inertia and elegantly proceeds to perform the next skill.

No they haven't thats why they expect everything to be like a tab target mmorpgs where your upper and lower body moves seperate from each other.

If they remove the animation delays than they might as well take away action combat out of their ads. It would completely kill the game right there.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Animation lock is usually solved by blending animations together, which in turn make up for a better connection to the virtual character. Animation locking has got nothing to do with how targets are acquired, but how easy it is to chain attacks together. The Batman and AC games have a pretty good animation blending system, which still have some sort of fixed targetting. However you are still able to react to something while striking.

ANet is trying to get the same feeling due to animation blending shortly after the peak of any animation is reached. I'll try to find a video showing the difference, since not everyone understands this concept.

Edit: In the meantime, watch combat videos of The Witcher 2 and then videos from Batman Arkham City. You'll be able to recognize a world of interaction gap between those two. The Witcher 2 has animation lock, B:AC not.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Doubtful, as the combat mechanics seem to be designed around it.

• StyleGamingStyleGaming Member Posts: 43

If the abilities did not lock you into place PVP would take FOREVER to hit / kill someone. I do think they should make more instant though.

- http://www.youtube.com/user/myfreestylegaming

AC>EQ>War>EVE>AoC>Aion>SWTOR>FireFall>Tera/GW2

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

It's the thing that makes me want to blow my brains out in Aion. Whether or not some people like the mechanic, I will always hate it.

It feels so damn sloppy.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Other than levels and special glyphs removing some, all or making certain abilities faster there is also an attack speed speed modifier in the better gear. This makes all of your abilities animations faster.

Yes rooting sucks but if it wasn't in you would be constant running spamming abilities like an fps. Go watch some Darkfall videos to see how it looks in practice. DF isn't a bad game I just prefer TERAs more.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Removing animation locks would destroy the game. There is no traditional global cooldown, so without animation locks people would run around endlessly spamming skills. With animation lock, you have to decide whether to commit or not. I personally think it makes combat a bit more thoughtful.

Unless of course you don't think at all when you use an ability. That can get you one shot in Tera.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Most people are so used to tab targeting games where movement is nothing more than fluff,  hence the reason they find it hard to change.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by stayontarget

Most people are so used to tab targeting games where movement is nothing more than fluff,  hence the reason they find it hard to change.

The OP is talking about animation lock. last i checked animation lock and tab targetting were two completely different things

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by wrightstuf

The OP is talking about animation lock. last i checked animation lock and tab targetting were two completely different things

No its the same thing exatly, In tab target games Moving is not essential so staying still or animation lock does not matter but in TERA its made difficult and using skills has consequences (such as the animation lock) People are too used to the old Tab target and cant get it into their head yet. This game is not Button mash so DEAL WITH IT. 

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

What he's saying: where movement is nothing more than fluff.

Where?: in tab targeting games.

L2P TERA combat:

Originally posted by Azmodai

No its the same thing exatly, In tab target games Moving is not essential so staying still or animation lock does not matter but in TERA its made difficult and using skills has consequences (such as the animation lock) People are too used to the old Tab target and cant get it into their head yet. This game is not Button mash so DEAL WITH IT. 

Deal with it? lol, i dont even plan on playing tera. i can play asian games for free. why pay for this one. and its not the same thing...in most mmos ive played, i can stand perfectly still and tab target indefinately. not that i would want to, but.

Originally posted by Himemiya

What he's saying: where movement is nothing more than fluff.

Where?: in tab targeting games.

thats not what he's saying. thats what you are saying

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Other than levels and special glyphs removing some, all or making certain abilities faster there is also an attack speed speed modifier in the better gear. This makes all of your abilities animations faster.

Yes rooting sucks but if it wasn't in you would be constant running spamming abilities like an fps. Go watch some Darkfall videos to see how it looks in practice. DF isn't a bad game I just prefer TERAs more.

I believe that is what they should be aiming for, an fps style movement. Some other game will come along and do that and call itself TRUE action combat and we will all be MMOFO's according to that game....

And to be more critical Tera doesn't really compare to an FPS, its more like RE5 where you cannot shoot and move. We all remember how that went along with the fans...

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

Deal with it? lol, i dont even plan on playing tera. i can play asian games for free. why pay for this one. and its not the same thing...in most mmos ive played, i can stand perfectly still and tab target indefinately. not that i would want to, but.

Hahah.

This one tickled me.

Do you classify all asian games as the same?

Then why play Mario Galaxies when you have aready bought and own and can play Super Mario Bros. for free on your Nintendo. Then you wouldn't have to buy a Wii.

Actually, you could expand that stupidity to anything.

Why by a Nintendo to play Super Mario Bros. when I can play with my dinky for free?

TERA is as different from free "asian games" as Halo is from Halo 3.

How stupid does this sound? " I have an Xbox and Halo I bought 9 years ago. Why would I buy an Xbox 360 to play Halo 3 when I already have Halo?"

That is the level of apples to oranges stupid your comment sounds.

Someone please make a good MMO.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by Kuppa

I believe that is what they should be aiming for, an fps style movement. Some other game will come along and do that and call itself TRUE action combat and we will all be MMOFO's according to that game....

And to be more critical Tera doesn't really compare to an FPS, its more like RE5 where you cannot shoot and move. We all remember how that went along with the fans...

But in an fps everybody is a shooter. How well would the shooter work if half the players on each side could suddenly only use melee weapons? Tera is not a shooter and I am glad for that. If they make it into a shooter the archers and sorcs will dominate to rediculous proportions.

All die, so die well.

Originally posted by baritone3k

Hahah.

This one tickled me.

Do you classify all asian games as the same?

Then why play Mario Galaxies when you have aready bought and own and can play Super Mario Bros. for free on your Nintendo. Then you wouldn't have to buy a Wii.

Actually, you could expand that stupidity to anything.

Why by a Nintendo to play Super Mario Bros. when I can play with my dinky for free?

TERA is as different from free "asian games" as Halo is from Halo 3.

How stupid does this sound? " I have an Xbox and Halo I bought 9 years ago. Why would I buy an Xbox 360 to play Halo 3 when I already have Halo?"

That is the level of apples to oranges stupid your comment sounds.

i dont want to derail this thread, but i need to respond...what i'm saying is Tera, to me is just another asain game that looks to me like so many other asian games... you are charged full price for the download then you pay 15 a month. seems to me the majority of asain mmos are ftp and free to download as well. why would you call me stupid because i think Tera looks and plays like asain games? it has an asain feel because its asain, lol. if i want that, i'd play Aion. in fact i do...at least untill GW2 and TSW come out. its far more compelling and has far more content to be had early in the game. Tera is absolutely horrible in this regard. the beginning quests and the first dungeon i played were the worst ive seen. At least Aion's 1st dungeon showed some imagination.

I could care less that Tera has action combat. so what? is that suppose to make the game?

What i posted was my opinion....so you say i'm stupid for what i think??  i guess because you call me stupid, that means you're also calling everyone who's ever posted their opoinion on these forums stupid also.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

i dont want to derail this thread, but i need to respond...what i'm saying is Tera, to me is just another asain game that looks to me like so many other asian games... you are charged full price for the download then you pay 15 a month. seems to me the majority of asain mmos are ftp and free to download as well. why would you call me stupid because i think Tera looks and plays like asain games? it has an asain feel because its asain, lol. if i want that, i'd play Aion. in fact i do...at least untill GW2 and TSW come out. its far more compelling and has far more content to be had early in the game. Tera is absolutely horrible in this regard. the beginning quests and the first dungeon i played were the worst ive seen. At least Aion's 1st dungeon showed some imagination.
    I could care less that Tera has action combat. so what? is that suppose to make the game?
    What i posted was my opinion....so you say i'm stupid for what i think??  i guess because you call me stupid, that means you're also calling everyone who's ever posted their opoinion on these forums stupid also.

So, your biggest problem with Tera is that it was made by Asians?
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by VikingGamer

Originally posted by Kuppa

But in an fps everybody is a shooter. How well would the shooter work if half the players on each side could suddenly only use melee weapons? Tera is not a shooter and I am glad for that. If they make it into a shooter the archers and sorcs will dominate to rediculous proportions.

Have you played many shooters?? Even in COD, the most generic of all, you can play a meele class based on speed and stealth, not even going to mention TF2 for that matter. Either way that is definately not the reason a lock would be applied to Tera. There are stuns, dashes and other means to remove any advantage range could give. Saying locking animations is the fix is basically an easy and cheap way out, either way I don't believe this is the reason they added it to the game.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

@op: short answer NO

if u dont like it dont play u dont have to force what u like and not like on the rest of us who happens to like it.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Any legit fighting game (as in ones that have tournament circuits) have this animation lock. TERA is trying to go this route so I doubt they will dumb their game down unless they are losing a ton of subs from it.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.