Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did the EVE exodus last?

halldorrhalldorr Member UncommonPosts: 105

When everyone left EVE and came to PO, did most stay or most return to EVE?

Comments

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by halldorr

Hard to say - I, myself, left EVE but did not go to PO... and from what I have seen EVE is not hurting for players.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I returned to EVE as i like the direction with crucible and inferno, but i am looking forward to player housing in PO, but it may take more than that to bring me back as it still lacks a lot of depth i get in EVE, and given the small team behind PO it could be awhile before the game really matures.

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

LOL what is this?????     "when everyone left EVE and came to PO..."    wtf are you talking about?

EVE's fine.

EVE's playerbase is fine.

EVEn the Mittani situation didn't cause some mass Exodus.   

Here's the thing;   CCP handles EVE, it's staff, and it's players in a way no other company dares to do.   This sometimes causes some shady happenings and corrupt initiatives and favoratism and some other random community-effecting issues that some say will cause an Exodus, but in reality, it's mostly talk.     More people that don't even play EVE want EVE to have an exodus of players.     People come and go in EVE for their own reasons, and not because of the media....

and for damn sure not to start over playing the same game only with mini-battlebots crawling through bushes.       

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Around 50,000 on yesterday at 4:00pm cst

to the OP:  after reading my initial response, I think it came across more douchy than I intended. 

I didn't mean to condescend or insult, but it was a knee-jerk reaction to what I consider a snarky, trollish post.   But, I don't think that was your intention either, so I appologize in advance.

As for PO, I did play it.  Twice.  Once in beta and once shortly after launch to see "where it is now" --  And, as a hardcore MECHWARRIOR fan, I had very very high hopes for it.  I was ready to ditch my 2004 EVE character if PO offered the MMORPG answer to the lack of mech-warfare.        I was very very very very disappointed to see the same module graphics and buttons as EVE.   As well as the slow tactical combat and UI features stolen blatently from EVE's design.    (we're not talking about hotbars and minimaps.... it's an extremely particular and unique UI setup that EVE uses and no one up till now has bothered trying to copy it)

That being said, I don't hate on PO for this, considering how many other games out there just rip off the prior "successful" game and hope to get in on the profit pie.       If anything, I think EVE would be a good game for other devs to start "cloning" instead of the same old fantasy dungeon/raid fests.     

But, my distaste with PO is less about it's obvious ripoff of EVE online as is it's utter letdown of Mech-feel.

i really did feel like I was playing with a remote control battlebot and it was quite dissatisfying.

2cents

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by gimmesome

to the OP:  after reading my initial response, I think it came across more douchy than I intended. 

I didn't mean to condescend or insult, but it was a knee-jerk reaction to what I consider a snarky, trollish post.   But, I don't think that was your intention either, so I appologize in advance.

As for PO, I did play it.  Twice.  Once in beta and once shortly after launch to see "where it is now" --  And, as a hardcore MECHWARRIOR fan, I had very very high hopes for it.  I was ready to ditch my 2004 EVE character if PO offered the MMORPG answer to the lack of mech-warfare.        I was very very very very disappointed to see the same module graphics and buttons as EVE.   As well as the slow tactical combat and UI features stolen blatently from EVE's design.    (we're not talking about hotbars and minimaps.... it's an extremely particular and unique UI setup that EVE uses and no one up till now has bothered trying to copy it)

That being said, I don't hate on PO for this, considering how many other games out there just rip off the prior "successful" game and hope to get in on the profit pie.       If anything, I think EVE would be a good game for other devs to start "cloning" instead of the same old fantasy dungeon/raid fests.     

But, my distaste with PO is less about it's obvious ripoff of EVE online as is it's utter letdown of Mech-feel.

i really did feel like I was playing with a remote control battlebot and it was quite dissatisfying.

2cents

I think the OP was referring to when EvE tried to add the cash shop.   I could be wrong, but I think EvE's UI is actually the base design straight from a game engine.  The only unique thing about it is that they kept it.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Just lol.  What for heaven is perpetuum online and how you dare to compare that fail game with eve :===)

Originally posted by palulalula

Just lol.  What for heaven is perpetuum online and how you dare to compare that fail game with eve :===)

ROTFLMFAO  ^

• halldorrhalldorr Member UncommonPosts: 105

Sorry, let me rephrase it.

When a large number of people were complaining about the monocle and RMT coming in EVE a large group "protested" by stopping playing EVE and playing PO.

I am not proclaiming either game are losing loads of players, I am merely wondering how many of those that left EVE during the whole "monoclegate" thing stayed. It was around June/July 2011.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topic/2653/ex-eve-players/ - one thread

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topic/2650/exeve-capsuleers-sign-in/ - another

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topic/3397/eve-players-still-here/ - ah found this thread with basically my same question

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/26/perpetuum-receives-influx-of-eve-players/ - story on it

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topic/2683/server-load-issues-in-the-last-48-hours/ - PO dealing with the sudden new loads

A Google search will also dig up threads from around the web "monoclegate eve perpetuum" that discuss people making the change. PO also added more server power to handle the influx of players.

So that's all, not trying to troll or ruffle feathers...just wondering. I play neither game at the moment but am currently debating ones to give a go. Chill people, chill!

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

ROTFLMFAO  ^

rofldumbldao perpetum is one of the worst games ever created and  EVE player would never change one of best mmo out there for some transformers robo game :===). It is most ridiculous post  in last few years. I cant even remember reviews or anybody who was posting something about that game

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

To answer this question with somethig a bit more substantial,

This should sum it up.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topic/4718/so-new-players-will-never-catch-the-old-players-when-it-comes-to-xp-ri/

several posts in, you'll find this comment.

To offer some encouragement there are not many vets left playing actively. Hopefully a mass of new players will come, and vets would be a like a drop in an ocean. By that time you might be called a vet too and some other new guy would want to catch up with you with some kind of xp boost. What would you say to him?

I can't vouch for that post's accuracy, but I can tell you that I tried the trial recently and gave up because the server would drop my connection every 5 minutes or so. Which as you can imaginve, in an FFA Loot PVP game, that's a deal breaker.

That said, when I was online, it did look like it had some potential...Assuming I wasn't going to get dropped in the middle of a fight.

• halldorrhalldorr Member UncommonPosts: 105

Thanks to those that replied :)

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319

Well I´m currently subbed to both EVE and PO. But at the moment I play PO more. I only log into EVE right now to tend to my trades. I´m having a blast in PO cause the PVP is really fun since you can use the terrain etc to hide, and also use the radar in a squad to draw different tactical moves etc. And building walls on your land to hold offenders at bay. Put out beacons that warns you if intruders are coming etc. It has more depth then people give it credit for. Ofc EVE is ALOT better over all, but I play PO right now cause the PVP is more fun for me. And I´ve never been disconnected during the little over a month that I´ve played it. So I don´t think it´s PO that makes peeps disconnect.

• gibogibo Member Posts: 25

I also play PO quite frequently and I have left EVE for good. What really stands out in PO is the PVP mechanics, WASD controls, AOE damage and LOS, it feels there is a lot more freedom and player skill is more important than in EVE. Apart from that it falls behind in most other areas of the game (GFX, content, PVE) which is not surpprising  considering EVE is years ahead in development. 

Player housing will be out on the next patch shortly together with a test server that players will be able to test the new terraforming island and player built structures.

Someone quoted me out of context and I must add that 'not many vets playing actively' means exactly that, for all I know they could all be subbed waiting future updates. Unlike EVE there is no need to log to change skills.

• friendfacefriendface Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by gibo
    I also play PO quite frequently and I have left EVE for good. What really stands out in PO is the PVP mechanics, WASD controls, AOE damage and LOS, it feels there is a lot more freedom and player skill is more important than in EVE. Apart from that it falls behind in most other areas of the game (GFX, content, PVE) which is not surpprising  considering EVE is years ahead in development. 
    Player housing will be out on the next patch shortly together with a test server that players will be able to test the new terraforming island and player built structures.
    Someone quoted me out of context and I must add that 'not many vets playing actively' means exactly that, for all I know they could all be subbed waiting future updates. Unlike EVE there is no need to log to change skills.

On the contrary. As someone who took a long break from PO and just returned, I see a lot more names that I know than those I don't. Yes there are a lot of vets who are paying for accounts they're not actively playing though.

The new power block appears to be STC (from the rockpapershotgun articles) with numbers and RG leading them with experienced and well geared vets. When I left it was NeX and the rest of the pissed off monocle debacle Eve players.

The Devs pulled the online users graph down because the game is back to where it was after at least 2 big influxes of players which the game can't keep. Player retention is the biggest issue at the moment EDIT: This includes massive amounts of people leaving because of in game Drama which often involves the Devs who can't seem to keep their nose out of corporate politics.

I think a lot of vets will come back once the Player Built Structures patch goes live, which could be any day now, if even only for a short while.

NOTE: I have never played Eve but I have had 3 active PO accounts for over a year despite not playing them for a long stretch.

Originally posted by Norpan

Well I´m currently subbed to both EVE and PO. But at the moment I play PO more. I only log into EVE right now to tend to my trades. I´m having a blast in PO cause the PVP is really fun since you can use the terrain etc to hide, and also use the radar in a squad to draw different tactical moves etc. And building walls on your land to hold offenders at bay. Put out beacons that warns you if intruders are coming etc. It has more depth then people give it credit for. Ofc EVE is ALOT better over all, but I play PO right now cause the PVP is more fun for me. And I´ve never been disconnected during the little over a month that I´ve played it. So I don´t think it´s PO that makes peeps disconnect.

Unfortunately it is.

Every few minutes, my log would show this:

[15:06:47] [sock] Socket error 10054 - (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)

This is thier server forcibly dropping me. It's not a time out, it's not lag, it's not latency or ping. It's thier server or their ISP and they need to fix it. This is also a known issue and has been posted many times by many players. It's in their forums. It even has it's own thread, and there is no word from Avatar as to what they intend to do. 

As I stated in my previous post, in an FFA Loot PVP game, this is an absolute deal breaker.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Here's the thing;   CCP handles EVE, it's staff, and it's players in a way no other company dares to do.   This sometimes causes some shady happenings and corrupt initiatives and favoratism and some other random community-effecting issues that some say will cause an Exodus, but in reality, it's mostly talk.     More people that don't even play EVE want EVE to have an exodus of players.     People come and go in EVE for their own reasons, and not because of the media....

and for damn sure not to start over playing the same game only with mini-battlebots crawling through bushes.       

That's pretty much it.  I tried PO long enough to determine that it certainly wasn't an alternative to Eve in my book.  It takes the 3D gameplay of Eve (space) cuts 1 dimension out of the equation(ground), and gives you inferior, far less immersive graphics and a far less polished feel(like any new game).  For those that like it, enjoy!  But I just couldn't get into it. 

The mass exodus was anything but.  Sad, but true.  They deserved a whack with the capitalist bat for what they were trying to do at the time.  But I guess the threat of it got them largely back on track(IMO), so I guess we all win despite the bang that was a whimper...

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Unfortunately it is.

[15:06:47] [sock] Socket error 10054 - (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)

This is thier server forcibly dropping me. It's not a time out, it's not lag, it's not latency or ping. It's thier server or their ISP and they need to fix it. This is also a known issue and has been posted many times by many players. It's in their forums. It even has it's own thread, and there is no word from Avatar as to what they intend to do. 

As I stated in my previous post, in an FFA Loot PVP game, this is an absolute deal breaker.

Well, I haven´t experienced it at all, and neither has the people in my corp. Yes, some here and there apperantly have this problem, but those are very few, and I have yet to talk with one with this problem. As for the DEVs not doing anything, that´s npt true. In that very same thread, started by a GM, they are updating what is being done with this issue.

Unfortunately it is.

Well, I haven´t experienced it at all, and neither has the people in my corp. Yes, some here and there apperantly have this problem, but those are very few, and I have yet to talk with one with this problem. As for the DEVs not doing anything, that´s npt true. In that very same thread, started by a GM, they are updating what is being done with this issue.

Are you referring to this thread?

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topic/2386/the-network-issues-thread-client-lag-and-disconnects/

Yes, they did acknowlege the problem and said they'd work on it...........in May of last year with not one follow up since. But as you can see, one post acknowleging the problem almost a year ago and nothing since, hardly qualifies as them doing something about it. Since it's almost a year later and people still have the problem. And as for not speaking with anyone who has the problem, well, that's to be expected....Since they wouldn't be logged in.

I'm glad you enjoy the game...Actually kinda jealous because, I'd probably be subbed right now. But the problem is real, Devs haven't touched the issue and it's more people than just "here and there". Please don't discredit my post. Just because you aren't having the issue doesn't mean it doesn't exsist, You don't have to white kningt for PO everytime someone criticizes it. Especially when it's valid. If no one holds them accountable, it'll never get fixed.

Unfortunately it is.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topic/2386/the-network-issues-thread-client-lag-and-disconnects/

Yes, they did acknowlege the problem and said they'd work on it...........in May of last year with not one follow up since. But as you can see, one post acknowleging the problem almost a year ago and nothing since, hardly qualifies as them doing something about it. Since it's almost a year later and people still have the problem. And as for not speaking with anyone who has the problem, well, that's to be expected....Since they wouldn't be logged in.

I'm glad you enjoy the game...Actually kinda jealous because, I'd probably be subbed right now. But the problem is real, Devs haven't touched the issue and it's more people than just "here and there". Please don't discredit my post. Just because you aren't having the issue doesn't mean it doesn't exsist, You don't have to white kningt for PO everytime someone criticizes it. Especially when it's valid. If no one holds them accountable, it'll never get fixed.

Have you tried it lately? Maybe it works for you now. Cause I NEVER crash. Neither does people in my corp. I even asked them about this. Well, some1 has crashed like once or twice, but nothing gamebraking. Maybe give it another go?

Unfortunately it is.

Have you tried it lately? Maybe it works for you now. Cause I NEVER crash. Neither does people in my corp. I even asked them about this. Well, some1 has crashed like once or twice, but nothing gamebraking. Maybe give it another go?

The trial was pretty recent. I might give it a go again

Unfortunately it is.

The trial was pretty recent. I might give it a go again

Yeah, do another trial and check again. Or maybe wait til they release POS-patch. But I wanna get the EP before that is released so I will be able to compete even more once it comes.

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

Originally posted by halldorr When everyone left EVE and came to PO, did most stay or most return to EVE?
    ROTFLMFAO  ^  
    rofldumbldao perpetum is one of the worst games ever created and  EVE player would never change one of best mmo out there for some transformers robo game :===). It is most ridiculous post  in last few years. I cant even remember reviews or anybody who was posting something about that game

One thing you will never hear in PO is warp to station at 0. There is far more fun engaging combat in PO imo. There is a reason to explore terrain because you can use it in combat and no click to move ( I hate that crap). U actually feel more in control compared to Eve's more stationary warp to 0 combat. Eve combat is paper scissor warp to 0 hot dropped by a mother-ship combat. I don't see what people mean by Eve having depth. It's practically 2 dimensional imo.

The chases in PO are way more fun as well.

I recommend you try getting into a corp in PO and try to help them fight there enemies.

It was even more fun before insurance got nurfed :)