Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Same gear at endgame a bad thing?

Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

Alright, well as the title sais and whats already known is that everyone will have virtually the same gear at endgame, however they will be able to change the appearance etc...

Well heres the problem, alot of people, like myself love the gear grinds at endgame, infact thats what i mainly play MMORPG's for, definitely not for the leveling... So what will endgame be like? how will you get rewarded, competition for the most gold or? what singles out each player, i mean its a "semi-action" based combat game, so its not going to be solely based on skill, like Tera. Personally because of this fact and a few others i will most likely not bother playing this game, and move onto a more interesting game such as Tera.

So heres the thing, will we just level up and be bored? what happens at endgame? i can only see the same gear slightly benefitting pvp, but having absolutely no advance on Pve, i mean whats the point if you dont get rewarded? every player being similar makes no sence, people play Mmorpg's because of that main difference you can gain against other players, because of how it feels to win that awesome weapon etc....

Open to views here, if anyone has an other opinion, feel free to say, attempt to convince. Because, at the way the game is looking now, its going to need to be one hell of an arguement.

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Stimos8

Alright, well as the title sais and whats already known is that everyone will have virtually the same gear at endgame, however they will be able to change the appearance etc...

Well heres the problem, alot of people, like myself love the gear grinds at endgame, infact thats what i mainly play MMORPG's for, definitely not for the leveling... So what will endgame be like? how will you get rewarded, competition for the most gold or? what singles out each player, i mean its a "semi-action" based combat game, so its not going to be solely based on skill, like Tera. Personally because of this fact and a few others i will most likely not bother playing this game, and move onto a more interesting game such as Tera.

So heres the thing, will we just level up and be bored? what happens at endgame? i can only see the same gear slightly benefitting pvp, but having absolutely no advance on Pve, i mean whats the point if you dont get rewarded? every player being similar makes no sence, people play Mmorpg's because of that main difference you can gain against other players, because of how it feels to win that awesome weapon etc....

Open to views here, if anyone has an other opinion, feel free to say, attempt to convince. Because, at the way the game is looking now, its going to need to be one hell of an arguement.

If you want a gear grind then this isn't the game for you. The easiest thing right now is to admit that and go look for another game that does have it. May I suggest WoW?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Ya... if you want a gear grind look elsewhere. This isn't a game that caters to that. TERA, or TOR would probably better fits. Aion also is F2P now, and then there's D3 coming out soon (not an MMO I know). You do have options if you want that endgame gear grind. Many, many options.

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

there are more than enough geargrind mmos around. why don't you play one of those?

why should i try to convince you in playing gw2? it must be one hell of an argument.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by Buttski

there are more than enough geargrind mmos around. why don't you play one of those?

You want to grind.....Lineage 2 grind.....  *eyeroll .....GL.... image

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

Originally posted by lokiboard

Originally posted by Buttski

You want to grind.....Lineage 2 grind.....  *eyeroll .....GL.... image

wut?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Repeating the same dungeons will be just as enjoyable as it is in other games. Having gear incentives doesnt make it any more fun.

If its not fun, why keep doing it?

It's a bit sad how brainwashed some MMO players have been become. Must.... get..... upgraded.... loot...... MUST GRIND!!!

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Tera isn't certainly only about skill.

Gear makes a huge difference.

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

If you really want gear progression, this game will not interest you for very long. I can understand that some people want to feel like they are constantly becoming more powerful. However I think that you should still try the game at least, as it is B2P and you can play it alongside another MMO so you won't really need gear progression in this game if it's your secondary MMO and play it casually.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

If you enjoy running after a carrot on a stick then that's your perogative, but how could anyone elses opinion change yours if you haven't found anything yourself that you deem worthy of wasting your time on.

Though reading your post you don't want to be persuaded you just want to rile up people. Comments like: more interesting game such as Tera, or: the way the game is looking now, it's going to need to be one hell of an argument. are nothing but inflametory.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Is a game really suppose to be about the gear you have? I don't think a game should be dependant on just the gear you end up with.

Rather, the game should be more about character development, skills aquired, game play, game theme, etc. 

I don't want to play a game that is dependant on gear to give it a playable factor

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

Yeah understandable but heres the thing, you would be surprised how many people see it the way i do, the majority of Mmo players, just saying that in a few months i dont think there will be many people playing it. And yes there are other games that do this, unfortunately i would hardly call wow one of them... giving out gear and not obtaining it to do the next raid etc... is worse then no gear at all. Because it removes previous raids and contents from being needed/ done. Even if Gw2 is a Pvp based game, it would still get boring to do the same thing over and over hitting the same every time, not balancing out stats etc...

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Diablo 3 is about gear grind, maybe see that...

No but really i think people claiming they need gear grind are just making up stupid excuses, most game if not all computer games don't have gear grind, yet people play them (OP included most probably) because they are fun to play. It is as if i'm going to the Wow forum and say: So this game have virtually no xp grind, well i need xp grind to play mmos... Just ridiculous. You play games because you have fun playing them, ye, you might like some aspect like gear grind i won't argue that, but playing them exclusively because of it? That just doesn't sound right to me.

OP did you ever played some computer games except WOW for more than few week, i mean any fps or rts, anything?

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

UO never had gear grind back in the day. So, there really isn't a need for it. There are other options out there if you want a gear grinding game.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

As many have already said, if you're interest is in the raiding endgame that has tiers of gear with ever increasing stats, then GW2 is probably not for you.

There are plenty of MMO's catering to that market and there are plenty of people who are looking for something different to that. GW2 will be a game they enjoy because it has no gear grind, meaning an even playing field in PvP, no "haves" and "have nots".

It won't suit everyone and clearly it won't suit you, OP. There's little point in trying to convince someone to play a game that has something they fundamentally require missing, so I won't even try. Stick to your current MMO if it fullfils your end game requirements because GW2 won't if you want the gear grind.

If you want to try something different, that has an even playing field at endgame, that frees people to play classes without thinking about who has to tank/heal/dps, that has 3 way PvP battles with Keeps to seige/defend, that scales you to the content to keep dungeons a challenge, and those dungeons are rock hard, smack you in the face difficult, then maybe you could give it a try.

Who knows? You might even find that you enjoy it. Stranger things have happened.

• RhyscoRhysco Member UncommonPosts: 7

How can it be a bad thing to be acknowledged by your skill and how rare your item looks?

You need to get over the feeling that to advance in pve you need to avdance your ilvl.

I think GW2 will be all about exploiting the weekness of monsters and their tactics instead of killing them with oversized gear for it.

But then again if that's not challenging at all for you, then move along... there's nothing here to see...

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Yeah understandable but heres the thing, you would be surprised how many people see it the way i do, the majority of Mmo players, just saying that in a few months i dont think there will be many people playing it. And yes there are other games that do this, unfortunately i would hardly call wow one of them... giving out gear and not obtaining it to do the next raid etc... is worse then no gear at all. Because it removes previous raids and contents from being needed/ done. Even if Gw2 is a Pvp based game, it would still get boring to do the same thing over and over hitting the same every time, not balancing out stats etc...

I think that better gear doesn't nessecarily make a game remove previous content from being needed. All that is needed is good implementation, too bad that no one has actually implemented a really good system with gear. Such a system would give you variation in content to do and motivation, for people that need it that is.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

As I said earlier, if you want a gear grind then go play something else. Guild Wars 2 isn't about gear grind and the people who want to play it are the people who DON'T want a gear grind. Stop asking for it, threads like these only devolve into flamewars.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

As if you can't get end game gear in WOW? I mean wht did you guys do once you reached it? left the game, or still continue playing it because it was actually fun. You guys are talking as if reaching end game is impossible in WOW? Isn't there like million of player with end game gear in WOW anyway?

• NickraiderNickraider Member UncommonPosts: 131

As I understand, you'll still have to run dungeons for the max stat gear at 80. You just won't have to run the same one the same path 15+ times for one piece of gear. You don't just hit 80 and instantly receive the best gear when you ding.. there is still work to be done. After that you go and play the game by exploring, doing hidden puzzles, helping a friend in lower level area and finding content you havn't seen yet. Doing Giant 100 people dynamic events... WvWvW.. theres plenty to do (no I did not list everything.. You don't have to click an instant que for dungeon button 10+  times a day so you can get a shiney purple piece.

If you like being on a gear grind treadmill... thats cool. Plenty more of those MMORPGS coming out. You probably havn't been playing MMORPG's for very long. See you in a few years when you finally get bored of gear grinding!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Nickraider

As I understand, you'll still have to run dungeons for the max stat gear at 80. You just won't have to run the same one the same path 15+ times for one piece of gear. You don't just hit 80 and instantly receive the best gear when you ding.. there is still work to be done. After that you go and play the game by exploring, doing hidden puzzles, helping a friend in lower level area and finding content you havn't seen yet. Doing Giant 100 people dynamic events... WvWvW.. theres plenty to do (no I did not list everything.. You don't have to click an instant que for dungeon button 10+  times a day so you can get a shiney purple piece.

If you like being on a gear grind treadmill... thats cool. Plenty more of those MMORPGS coming out. You probably havn't been playing MMORPG's for very long. See you in a few years when you finally get bored of gear grinding!

You can get a max level set very easily through either crafting or karma. The dungeons are for unique apperances.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Originally posted by Requiamer

As if you can't get end game gear in WOW? I mean wht did you guys do once you reached it? left the game, or still continue playing it because it was actually fun. You guys are talking as if reaching end game is impossible in WOW? Isn't there like million of player with end game gear in WOW anyway?

I have to agree with this. End game gear is so easy to obtain in WoW that Epic has lost it's meaning completely. Some of my friends still play WoW (I quit a while ago) and we were laughing about it, because you can look at someone in "Epic" gear and still say they have shit gear on. It's become a pointless chase for bigger numbers.

And Stimos8, where exactly are these "majority of MMO players" you mention that think nobody will be playing GW2 after a few months. Link please. I ask because everyone I know that plays MMO's is looking forward to GW2. Mainly because it will be different and NOT have a gear grind. I know for a fact that the majority of my old WoW guild will be playing GW2 when it releases.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Some people prefer the traditional MMORPG model of more or less endless character progression.  This has been accomplished in a number of different ways such as nearly endless levels,  (AC1/EQ1) gear grinds, (WOW/EQ1) advanced power sets, (realm ranks, DAOC) or near infinite skills (EVE) etc.

I would argue that endless character progression (in terms of power, not cosmetics) is perhaps one of the defining characteristics of most MMORPG's, which is why I refer to GW2 as a MMOARPG due to its heavy emphasis on action combat and the fact it promotes a level playing field more like FPS titles generally do.

This alternate model of MMO design (probably made its first appearance in UO actually) appears to be what many players have always wanted (GW2 is the MMO for people who don't really  like playing MMORPG's image) so if its to be expected that it won't appeal to players not looking for this change.

Neither model is better, just two alternatives to MMO design and its possible that a person may like one, both or neither.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

There is no difference between end-game gear in WoW and GW2, except for one puts you on a treadmill and the other puts you in an open field.

The main thing people are crying about is not being able to gloat in other peoples faces because they are wearing the latest gear that hardly anyone else has. Or theyre just that dumb they cant see theyre on a treadmill.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

OMG! It's outrageous. What was ANET thinking? If all the plebian casuals leave gear-grind MMO's in droves to GW2 because they can have the best gear without grinding like it's a full-time job, who will we gear-grinders have to parade our le3t g3ar in front of in our games???

@!!  Better get over to the GW2 forums and smack this $@%!$@ down to keep the plebs from wandering off the plantation!