Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA BioWare is talking about population/transfers/merges

Comments

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by Tayah

Originally posted by HeavyTraffic

They could have made this a little clearer for investors, but that's not really their job.

We sold 2 million boxes.  Of those 1.7 million people activated the game and are therefore included in our subscriber numbers for Q3 ending 12.31.2011, since you have to subscribe to play the game even if you only play for ONE MONTH and cancel at the end of that first month.

Officially,  EVERYONE who bought the game and activated their subscription is a subscriber to our investors.  Unofficially we're in trouble.  Handing out free time and free days and free months and free trials for friends and their friends and the friends of their friends....

Get out your Maybelline, this pig needs a LOT of lipstick.

Pretty much sums it up. They can spin it however they like but the population on the servers doesn't lie. People are pleading for mergers/transfers. If you have a healthy game, people don't flood your forums begging day after day to help get them off their ghost town servers. You don't have just 4-5 heavy/full servers out of what over 200? Standard/light their both ghost towns. I can log in with my husbands account tha the quit 2 months in and paid 6 months initially for to see that. It's quite sad seeing those people even on the heavier servers ecstatic about 200 people at the fleet..Do the servers only hold around 2k people(1k per side) or what? I've been in lesser populated games before where there were 4-10k people per server, and they felt alive.

You know they have instances of the fleet and different areas right? if an area gets past a certain point it will put you into a different instance. Happened to me today since the first instance of fleet was full. 

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Paradigm68

Credit Default Swaps. Housing market crash, Lehman Bros, AIG, etc... Yes. Yes I do.

So now EA is going to try and cut and run?

They do it all the time?  It's  done in the gaming industry by... make another game, market/hype it well enough so people forget what you've done to the last 50 titles you've raped and pillaged.  EA is quite good at this too.

It isn't like EA  is a bank or insurance company.  They don't have to do anything but keep on taking your money as you forget  and keep on buying their latest lie.

Originally posted by colddog04

Originally posted by RodimusPrime

Even if a bunch of people got 6+ month subs, their numbers are a tiny fraction of the people that subbed monthly.

It's obvious there is a difference between "peak concurrent users" and "overall population." Remove concurrent users from the equation entirely (like I did in my post), and it is still just a lie. It is incredibly unlikely that they have anywhere near the same amount of subscribers they had at launch.

Which is why believe that it is a lie.

Do you really think it's that easy to pull the wool over their major investors eyes?

I don't think he was talking to investors.

Not only that, I think they are trying to redefine what "overall population" means in order to paint it in a more favorable light. 

But my original post says what I was really trying o get at. Why are they lying? Do they think they'll even convince the super fans that they have the same "overall population" that they always had? Where is the motive? Are they just this bad at PR?

Thats the thing, you don't know that they don't. We won't know until their next investorr call. I think the population probably sits at around 1.5 million myself, all guess work on my part, but from what I have seen they have not lost too many of the 1.7 million and the severs seem busier since 1.2.

Uhhh...

Right, their population has gone down. Thank you for seeing that it was a lie.

Prove it. X-fire shows server trends not sub numbers, NO ONE has populations numbers, just server trends. You have no idea what the population is.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Though I hate EA Games with every fiber of my being and thought SWTOR was somewhat of a dissapointment, I still think its sad to what's happening to SWTOR. Don't get me wrong, just like poor business models fail, so do poorly designed/executed games, but I have many friends who play SWTOR and I think I'm starting to feel bad for them.

If EA games is altering their numbers with technicalities, I wonder if Blizzard and Trion are doing the same?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Even if a bunch of people got 6+ month subs, their numbers are a tiny fraction of the people that subbed monthly.

It's obvious there is a difference between "peak concurrent users" and "overall population." Remove concurrent users from the equation entirely (like I did in my post), and it is still just a lie. It is incredibly unlikely that they have anywhere near the same amount of subscribers they had at launch.

Do you really think it's that easy to pull the wool over their major investors eyes?

Not only that, I think they are trying to redefine what "overall population" means in order to paint it in a more favorable light. 

But my original post says what I was really trying o get at. Why are they lying? Do they think they'll even convince the super fans that they have the same "overall population" that they always had? Where is the motive? Are they just this bad at PR?

Thats the thing, you don't know that they don't. We won't know until their next investorr call. I think the population probably sits at around 1.5 million myself, all guess work on my part, but from what I have seen they have not lost too many of the 1.7 million and the severs seem busier since 1.2.

Uhhh...

Prove it. X-fire shows server trends not sub numbers, NO ONE has populations numbers, just server trends. You have no idea what the population is.

You just said it went down in your post.

I don't even...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Anytime they make claims such as this Investors are listening. When it comes to profits (which is represented in subscriptions) they're walking on thin ice, if they' are in fact trying to lie in a public way.

We're talking many Millions on the line here, it's interesting someone wanted to bring up the market crash in reply, as considering that it's become an area under many a watchful eye. We're not talking video-games anymore on this subject this is truly serious in a very public way. If they're lying, we're going to see a very real result from that.

Of course there's something else, which I can't ignore as well, and that is, as long as investors get their return they don't care. Now that could explain some things going on at EA right now. They could be cutting corners to pay off TOR. Hence massive lay-offs.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

They could have made this a little clearer for investors, but that's not really their job.

We sold 2 million boxes.  Of those 1.7 million people activated the game and are therefore included in our subscriber numbers for Q3 ending 12.31.2011, since you have to subscribe to play the game even if you only play for ONE MONTH and cancel at the end of that first month.

Officially,  EVERYONE who bought the game and activated their subscription is a subscriber to our investors.  Unofficially we're in trouble.  Handing out free time and free days and free months and free trials for friends and their friends and the friends of their friends....

Pretty much sums it up. They can spin it however they like but the population on the servers doesn't lie. People are pleading for mergers/transfers. If you have a healthy game, people don't flood your forums begging day after day to help get them off their ghost town servers. You don't have just 4-5 heavy/full servers out of what over 200? Standard/light their both ghost towns. I can log in with my husbands account tha the quit 2 months in and paid 6 months initially for to see that. It's quite sad seeing those people even on the heavier servers ecstatic about 200 people at the fleet..Do the servers only hold around 2k people(1k per side) or what? I've been in lesser populated games before where there were 4-10k people per server, and they felt alive.

You know they have instances of the fleet and different areas right? if an area gets past a certain point it will put you into a different instance. Happened to me today since the first instance of fleet was full. 

Of course I do, it doesn't change the facts though.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Uhhh...

You just said it went down in your post.

I don't even...

I said I was guessing also. I don't claim it as fact as you do. 

What facts? You have not given any.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

O

They do it all the time?  It's  done in the gaming industry by... make another game, market/hype it well enough so people forget what you've done to the last 50 titles you've raped and pillaged.  EA is quite good at this too.

It isn't like EA  is a bank or insurance company.  They don't have to do anything but keep on taking your money as you forget  and keep on buying their latest lie.

You're mistaken, in that what they do is make sure investors are paid, which is one reason we see many game companies do massive lay-offs after failed projects. If they truly did cut and run, we'd see them all over the news.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I wonder if Blizzard and Trion are doing the same thing. How would we know the difference between "subs" and active accounts?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by joocheese

Though I hate EA Games with every fiber of my being and thought SWTOR was somewhat of a dissapointment, I still think its sad to what's happening to SWTOR. Don't get me wrong, just like poor business models fail, so do poorly designed/executed games, but I have many friends who play SWTOR and I think I'm starting to feel bad for them.

If EA games is altering their numbers with technicalities, I wonder if Blizzard and Trion are doing the same?

I feel bad for those still playing SWTOR too. It would be nice if we had half a dozen mmo's out there competing heavily for our dollars. Could you imagine the more quality products we'd be getting. It'd be a win, win for us all, no matter which we played. Sadly, it's not like that atm, but we can dream right? image

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

I wonder if Blizzard and Trion are doing the same thing. How would we know the difference between "subs" and active accounts?

As far as I know Trion has never officially said how many subs they have or even how many accounts they have.  Blizzard gives their exact definition of an active account.  People complain about how they count Eastern accounts all the time, but Blizzard is up front about it.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Every MMO in the last couple of years HAS as far as I know,have done server transfer/merges. Because the initial launch attracts a lot of people,and the devs dont want a small amount of servers with Q'Ez. Transfer/merges dont signifi krap imo,about how a game is doing. And honestly as long as they keep the population on the servers they have health. than thats all that matters.. :P thats honestly why I dont play FFXI atm...to many servers not enough population,now if they reduced the servers so there were only a couple the population on those servers would seem outstanding.

Can I feel bad for you for being bitter and jaded?  If your friends enjoy the game, be happy for them and find a game you want to play.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

:(

I am just so disenfranchised with SWTOR/EA/Bioware.  After the implosion of SWG, I thought this might be it!  They are spending the big bills to get a good MMO going about Star Wars.  Already, star wars has a following, a universe of races, characters, and lore.  It was so easy. Set up so perfectly.  They didnt have to come up with anything too original.  All they had to do was find good coders, code a bug free game, with plenty to do while leveling and end game.l  And they F it up.

Sure the story is good.  I leveled a marauder and had a blast.  I was leveling a powertech and had a blast up to about 25.  Then i wanted to rip my n_uts off with a fork.  Then I tried a sniper, and the story seemed so intriguing.  But, I could not turn away from the fact that the game is poorly made.  Its a dead, non ambient non interactive world, there are invisi-walls,groups of mobs, walls, cliffs every where so that they make it so difficult to explore without getting tangled up in something, end game was a grind for currency. 

Planets were deserted.  a HUGE, enormous planet like Hoth(the size of friggin northrend in WoW0, had 15 people on it at peak hours. 

Im just so disappointed.  Maybe I'll wait another 3 or 4 years until some company decides to pick up the Star Wars title and try again.  And then wait 4-5 years after that.  Maybe when my daughter reaches high school, I can play a star wars mmo.

Until then, True action combat in a beautiful MMO of Tera.  And then an adventurerers paradise in GW2,.

Can I feel bad for you for being bitter and jaded?  If your friends enjoy the game, be happy for them and find a game you want to play.

Ignorance is not bliss.

I am not bitter or jaded, I'm just filled with pure unadulterated all consuming hatred for EA Games; for what they did to the Sim City and Battlefield franchises. When I first heard/read that EA Games would be involved in SWTOR, I knew it was going to fail, but I still had my hopes. I played SWTOR for a bit and then realized that I was right; the game was/is a huge dissapointment.

I feel sad for my friends because they do enjoy the game (or at least pretend they do). It's somewhat like feeling sorry for a person who enjoys eating moldy bread without knowing the taste of freshly baked bread. My friends who play SWTOR, when we argue about the game, ignore all the clear/undeniable failures of SWTOR and insist that it is an amazing game. My friends who play SWTOR are hardcore Star Wars fanboys, so... I believe that explains why they still play SWTOR.

Unlike Midas, EA Gams has the fecal touch, everything they touch turns into sh*t

• HeavyTrafficHeavyTraffic Member Posts: 54

Yes.  EVERYONE on this board knows that.  This isn't a bunch of teenagers with ruler wielding nuns moderating the forums.  You might surprise some people over at their official forums with this news, but not here.

Server pops are definitely up.  I haven't played since my free month ended in January but I played a bit for free just to see if they had made any progress.

They haven't, except for the UI that should have been there for launch.  My free time runs out Friday but I doubt I'll log on again before then.

I certainly won't re-subscribe but I'm one of the reasons you can't get on Fatman at the moment.

This game would be healthy at 10 servers, not 200.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

1.2(the nerfs and under delivering in other aspects)pretty much insured that I am leaving, but the game is far from unplayable and I am not leaving just yet.  I am personally going to play it until something better comes along, something without a cash shop, I'd much rather deal with those horribly outdated subscription fees.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

Yes.  EVERYONE on this board knows that.  This isn't a bunch of teenagers with ruler wielding nuns moderating the forums.  You might surprise some people over at their official forums with this news, but not here.

Server pops are definitely up.  I haven't played since my free month ended in January but I played a bit for free just to see if they had made any progress.

They haven't, except for the UI that should have been there for launch.  My free time runs out Friday but I doubt I'll log on again before then.

I certainly won't re-subscribe but I'm one of the reasons you can't get on Fatman at the moment.

This game would be healthy at 10 servers, not 200.

People's idea of success is skewed by their need to see something topple wow. A game with 10 solid servers that sold all the boxes they did initially would be quite profitable............If they can keep 10 servers at a standard load. They don't need a billion subscribers to make a buck, with that said they missed a tremendous opportunity, all that money they spent on the voice over stuff was squandered, we all thought it was cool at first, and we all space bar through it now............they should have put that in to game play, they'd be better off for it now and the game would have more features and be more polished right now.

for the record, god save me from dialogue, let me click through stuff and read or not read at my own discretion. 

Personally I am eager to see what Copernicus will have to offer and wildstar really, really, really intrigues me.

Originally posted by KingGator

1.2(the nerfs and under delivering in other aspects)pretty much insured that I am leaving, but the game is far from unplayable and I am not leaving just yet.  I am personally going to play it until something better comes along, something without a cash shop, I'd much rather deal with those horribly outdated subscription fees.

So you would rather spend $50-$60 for the game plus $15 a month ($180 per year)? Well... its your money.

"something better without a cash shop". Does that mean that no matter the game it could never be better so long as it has a CS? (even if it were a better Star Wars game?). If that's a reference to GW2 its a pretty bold (foolish) statement without having any facts or any substantial disclosure as to the items in the CS. Sounds more like an antinquated droid banging its head against the wall refusing to be updated or even consider the available options.

If you oppose CS on principle then that's at least somewhat respectable, but to fall back to paying subs (aka getting ripped off) makes no sense at all.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

This will die a slow, agonizing death and fade into obscurity, just like Warhammer Online.

EA's impact on the design of their games has become more and more obvious over the recent years and more people are starting to realize that. Their nickel and diming, anti consumer business practices haven't done them any favors either. I am just glad that it's finally having an impact on their reputation as well as their profits. Yeah, it's sad to see people lose their jobs but that's what you get for working for a soulless and non innovative company such as this. They've been acquiring one studio after another and destroying each one of the franchises that came with them. This was just a matter of time. Anyway. This could have been a fun and memorable gaming experience had BioWare chosen to make this co-op oriented, free to play game instead of subscription based "MMO". I am sorry but this is not an MMO nor does it warrant a subscription fee. It's a glorified singleplayer RPG with a chat window. PUG's are practically non existent in this game thanks to the lack of encouragement/incentives for grouping. That and the fact that it doesn't even have a basic LFG tool.

BioWare should have stuck to singleplayer games. They can't even balance the game properly let alone implement basic MMO features into the game.

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

There are currently about 25-30 servers that do not get out of light, no matter what time of day. These definently need to be closed.

That is out of about 123 servers.

Leaving 90~ish servers.

The top end of the standard servers have a healthy population. I am on Dark Reaper, a server that never reaches heavy but is normally near the top 10 of the standard servers. This server has a very healthy population, 100+ on the fleet for Republic and 250+ on the fleet for Imp, with varying amount of the population in warzones, instances, and other planets.

The game would be incredibly healthy with anywhere between 50-80 servers, which is still nothign to scoff at. Those that are claiming 10 servers think being healthy is having queues on every single server? Because that is what would happen if the game only have 10 servers atm.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I think that SWTOR should have 5 servers. That would fit all of the current players.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Zefire

Wow very soon i would say.

That means we will have it  buy to play in 1 year or less

To be honest, I think that was the right way to go from the start. Sell us the box and then sell us a crapload of DLCs. A lot of their fanbase before SWTOR don't want to pay a sub to play a singleplayer game with co-op mode.

Of course, their overall player base hasn't changed. Everyone who bought the game had their account reactivated lol.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.