Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whoever is designing these promotions is inventive, drastic and extremely responsive to player need

noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Let's give 1,2,3,5, 10 invite-a-friend keys to existing subscribers...?

You're not thinking big enough. Make it twenty-five! And throw in a free tauntaun.

Let's give a free month to anyone who ever had a L50 character...?

Fuck that, we give a free month to anyone with a L6 charcter!

Ummm, how about we give a post-box to everyone in the game? But it costs a million credits?

Up yours. If you want something cheap, easy and that will generate buzz, we'll live world events. Starting now!

My only question is this: THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING - SO WHERE WAS HE WHEN THEY WERE MAKING THE DAMN GAME?

Answer: probably flying above the Middle East in his personal Boeing 747 solving the Libyan Problem.

Comments

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

some reason this post reminds me of the character from the Nationwide Insurance commercials: ex. http://youtu.be/n44f_TiomUc

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

The way I took all that is more like, panic ridden desperation.

The world event was a nice touch but why did it take getting busted on the ranked warzone scam, the backlash, piss poor knee jerking attempt to compensate, the backlash, how many botched attempts to launch the patch, the backlash, layoffs and actually having to admit TOR is not performing as expected going public, haters being right, for someone to sand up and say damnit everyone to work on Sunday, we're going to do something that actually means MMO?

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by Bardus

The world event was a nice touch but why did it take getting busted on the ranked warzone scam, the backlash, piss poor knee jerking attempt to compensate, the backlash, how many botched attempts to launch the patch, the backlash, layoffs and actually having to admit TOR is not performing as expected going public, haters being right, for someone to sand up and say damnit everyone to work on Sunday, we're going to do something that actually means MMO?

They need some sort of a hero to rise up over there. Someone who doesn't give a shit and just wants the game to be kickass. If they were to abandon their philosophy, chuck their arrogance, and implement some freaking weight to that game it would be so much better.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Legacy rank 6 is not the same as a single level 6 character.  Not even close to it.

You don't give out free months to people who would happily pay for them.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Are you actually implying that the world event was a response to the above problems?  You do realize that this has been something they've been looking to add into the game for a while now, right?  They've stated that publicly, and said there would be world events beginning shortly after the 1.2 patch came out.  They stated this BEFORE the 1.2 patch came out.  

Of course, it would have been nice to have this kind of stuff in from the beginning, but it's hardly an act of desperation.  It's a feature of the game they added in.  You guys read way too much into these things.

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

When is the quarter report for EA due?

L2P TERA combat:

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

This.

Businesses, any business, do not give away free product like this, unless things are going wrong.

Even very wrong.

The problem with TOR was never the marketing. TOR was the most heavily marketed MMO over the time period, ever.

And just as importantly, word gets around. And in the case of TOR, the "word" has been largely negative.

The problem with TOR was the GAMEPLAY.  People played it, said "meh", and moved on.

No amount of trials, and free time, and free pet gimmicks, and every other thing they have done in the last month or so is going to fix the problem that TOR is a poor MMO.

But then, it is much easier to crank up the PR spin than make a good game or fix a bad/average game.

And make no mistake, there will be a lot of execs getting the axe over this whole mess.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I agree, with the meh combat, the bad pvp, the bad endgame, the most boring and dead open world ever IMO, no fluff (why cant i build a speeder from scaratch ect....) just so much missing from this game.

Dosnt matter how much free stuff you throw at me I will never come back.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Burntvet

This.

Businesses, any business, do not give away free product like this, unless things are going wrong.

Even very wrong.

The problem with TOR was never the marketing. TOR was the most heavily marketed MMO over the time period, ever.

And just as importantly, word gets around. And in the case of TOR, the "word" has been largely negative.

The problem with TOR was the GAMEPLAY.  People played it, said "meh", and moved on.

No amount of trials, and free time, and free pet gimmicks, and every other thing they have done in the last month or so is going to fix the problem that TOR is a poor MMO.

But then, it is much easier to crank up the PR spin than make a good game or fix a bad/average game.

QFT.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

This.

Even very wrong.

The biggest problem with TOR is there isn't much in the game to play for after you've completed the story (if you don't raid). Most MMO's are pretty much meh when it comes to actual game-play. I'd say MEH pretty much describes all I've played in terms of game-play. TOR has the same problem every mmo has that released since 2004. No planning for longevity, hence why now they're trying whatever they can think of to stop the bleeding.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by Distopia

This.

Even very wrong.

The biggest problem with TOR is there isn't much in the game to play for after you've completed the story (if you don't raid). Most MMO's are pretty much meh when it comes to actual game-play. I'd say MEH pretty much describes all I've played in terms of game-play. TOR has the same problem every mmo has that released since 2004. No planning for longevity, hence why now they're trying whatever they can think of to stop the bleeding.

The philosophy seems to have been (purposeful or not) Bait and Switch. Use the term MMORPG, and you communicate an online game that should engage you for years. They said Story-based MMO

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I was looking at that quest ( that starts the plague quests) in my ledger yesterday. Couldn't remember where I picked it up. Now...I can't wait to get off work and participate. Sounds like a blast.

• Originally posted by BarCrow

I was looking at that quest ( that starts the plague quests) in my ledger yesterday. Couldn't remember where I picked it up. Now...I can't wait to get off work and participate. Sounds like a blast.

my favorite moment so far was when i was about to get jumped by a bunch of imps on tatooine, and instead i exploded and infected them image

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by BarCrow

my favorite moment so far was when i was about to get jumped by a bunch of imps on tatooine, and instead i exploded and infected them image

LOL.I like doing that myself to Republic players. All it takes is you dying to the enemy and you infect them, regardless of what state you were in. Then I go to the well known "infection" spot in the fleet, get infected then que for a warzone. Rinse and repeat.

Man do people get MAD when you infect them. Reminds me of the fun times I had in SWG from jedi who would go nuts because I just set them back XP with my bounty hunter. Good times. :)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Distopia

This.

Even very wrong.

The things you mention are clearly because EA wanted it that way.

Specifically, there was the EA exec that came out and said basically that WoW set the standards for MMO features and systems, and any company that put out a game not using those standards for features was an idiot (paraphrasing obviously, the exact quote is floating around here somewhere).

Is it any surprise, that TOR plays like most things that have come out "since 2004"?

So, TOR followed "the formula" and now EA has what they have to show for it. Hopefully, with the "non-success" (not big enough for the cost, especially) of TOR, gaming execs will FINALLY understand the point, that if people want to play WoW, they will play WoW.

And not the next "WoW-with a twist" copy that comes to market.

One can only hope.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by BarCrow

LOL.I like doing that myself to Republic players. All it takes is you dying to the enemy and you infect them, regardless of what state you were in. Then I go to the well known "infection" spot in the fleet, get infected then que for a warzone. Rinse and repeat.

Man do people get MAD when you infect them. Reminds me of the fun times I had in SWG from jedi who would go nuts because I just set them back XP with my bounty hunter. Good times. :)

The crazy thing about people getting mad is that it has almost zero negative impact.  I mean, you've got debuffs that cause more harm to players than this plague. And yet there are a vocal few who are peeing their diapers over this.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Originally posted by noncley

Let's give 1,2,3,5, 10 invite-a-friend keys to existing subscribers...?

You're not thinking big enough. Make it twenty-five! And throw in a free tauntaun.

Let's give a free month to anyone who ever had a L50 character...?

Fuck that, we give a free month to anyone with a L6 charcter!

Ummm, how about we give a post-box to everyone in the game? But it costs a million credits?

Up yours. If you want something cheap, easy and that will generate buzz, we'll live world events. Starting now!

My only question is this: THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING - SO WHERE WAS HE WHEN THEY WERE MAKING THE DAMN GAME?

Answer: probably flying above the Middle East in his personal Boeing 747 solving the Libyan Problem.

LOL, I dunno about all that but the dude is pretty cool.  +1