Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First 10 minutes back... travel time still sucks

dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I logged off on the republic ship.  5 minutes still to get to my ship. Went to do some quests.  2 minutes on the bikes to get to the quest locations.  

What have they fixed in this game? 

Comments

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164

That's only 7 minutes bro...

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

~and then people bitch that the game isn't open enough, and this guy says it takes too long to get anywhere...

IS THERE A DIVIDING LINE OR WHAT?!

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AralithAralith Member UncommonPosts: 12

Back in my day, it took an hour and a half just to get anywhere. Questing? We sat and just killed the same 5 things over and over again for the next 3-4 hours.

Seriously, there are better things to complain about. If you want to get right back into the action instantly next time, clear a camp and log out in the middle of it. Don't complain that death isn't lying in wait next to the vendors in a ship that is in the middle of space.

• seiiyaseiiya Member Posts: 24

dude seems mmo's are not for u

go back and play some stupid shooter

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by GTwander

~and then people bitch that the game isn't open enough, and this guy says it takes too long to get anywhere...

Its the same problem.  

There are ton's of instances, but  you ahve to travel so far to get to anything.  I was hoping two months would go by and they would figure out how to not waste 7 minutes of my life here, and 10 minutes of my life here.  

I'm giving star wars 4 games to show me some kind of change in this game and in the first hour I have experienced the same boring travel mechanisms that drove me away to begin with.  

Whose Idea was this bike thing? I think the creators missed the parts in star wars where  the protaganists appeared where they needed to be and skipped the dreary walking or driving for 2 hours scens. 

Originally posted by Aralith

Back in my day, it took an hour and a half just to get anywhere. Questing? We sat and just killed the same 5 things over and over again for the next 3-4 hours.

Seriously, there are better things to complain about. If you want to get right back into the action instantly next time, clear a camp and log out in the middle of it. Don't complain that death isn't lying in wait next to the vendors in a ship that is in the middle of space.

I've never played a game where things are this far apart. I've played the wows, FFXIs, Rifts, Runes of Magics if we're talking about MMOs. I also am use to the console RPGs where there's always something lurking about or action a few minutes away. 

Talk about apologists. Dang near 10 minutes before I can get from one quest zone to another.  I"m not talking about getting quests, I a m talking about literally all I am doing for 10 minutes is walking to one place and watching a bike travel through other places. They could have at least made the bikes interactive, maybe even battletoads like.  

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by dontadow

I've never played a game where things are this far apart. I've played the wows, FFXIs, Rifts, Runes of Magics if we're talking about MMOs. I also am use to the console RPGs where there's always something lurking about or action a few minutes away. 

Talk about apologists. Dang near 10 minutes before I can get from one quest zone to another.  I"m not talking about getting quests, I a m talking about literally all I am doing for 10 minutes is walking to one place and watching a bike travel through other places. They could have at least made the bikes interactive, maybe even battletoads like.  

Sorry, I'm with GTWander.

I want a world where I can travel because it's a world.

Different demographics I suppose.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Its the same problem.  

There are ton's of instances, but  you ahve to travel so far to get to anything.  I was hoping two months would go by and they would figure out how to not waste 7 minutes of my life here, and 10 minutes of my life here.  

I'm giving star wars 4 games to show me some kind of change in this game and in the first hour I have experienced the same boring travel mechanisms that drove me away to begin with.  

Whose Idea was this bike thing? I think the creators missed the parts in star wars where  the protaganists appeared where they needed to be and skipped the dreary walking or driving for 2 hours scens. 

Well I could argue that the 10-second clip of Luke in a speeder is *you* actually driving all day to get to Jabba's place... as much as I could argue that travel times are suited to a certain kind of game where a mass arrival of players can tip a skirmish completely...

...but the answer to both of those would still be; "this isn't that kind of game"...

...so honestly, yeah... nothing is really holding back instantaneous travel anywhere in this one (besides pacing out linear content). Still though, it doesn't seem like enough for me to bitch about unless I had 2 jobs and a handful of needy children to bug me every moment I spend at home. Not everything has to suit their schedules, nor the whims of the impatient who *don't* have such setbacks (to their play schedule).

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I think most peoples compliants are how many loading screens you see during that seven minutes.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by feroshus

That's only 7 minutes bro...

Hahahaha good grief..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I always liked having to walk places. Learning the world, getting to see everything it has to offer. I remember before there were gatekeepers in Lineage 2 you had to walk for like 20 minutes to get to another town. Darkfall also comes to mind, the sense of fear I had running to opposite sides of the world, and it taking hours to get there, and knowing I could die and have to go back to the thing I bound to. Those are fun times, instant travel ruins that.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

In SWG you could go eat lunch and come back and your guy was still sitting on his speeder covering ground.

• InfearealInfeareal Member UncommonPosts: 111

Yeah opposite end of the spectrum, worlds way to small not enough to explore or do. I walk from one place to the next in no time flat and all the quest areas are way to close together. One of the first times I have seen a post that stated that SWTOR was essentially to big with to much to do....

Originally posted by Infeareal

Yeah opposite end of the spectrum, worlds way to small not enough to explore or do. I walk from one place to the next in no time flat and all the quest areas are way to close together. One of the first times I have seen a post that stated that SWTOR was essentially to big with to much to do....

No, never said too much to do, just big and empty.  And this would be several zones together. I have to walk from the galatic space station to my ship. Nothing to do in between and half that trip is just empty hanger.  I get on my ship and that goes to the next zone.  I have to walk the same distance to the taxi.  The taxi needs to take me to hte other side of the map where my quests are.  I have already completed eveyrthing else. So I have to endure this long taxi ride to the location.  It's a string of boring loocations. 

In a perfect world I would be able to beam from the ship to my quest location or at least to the star base. I get it, teh game has space ships, but just take me to hte planet already.  

Still, why do we have to see the bike ride.  I find this pointless. I get what some folk are saying. I love exploring worlds that are worht exploring. But i am not exploring anything on that bike. I am watching the game being played.  This is the same problem I had with games (japanese games) that have enough anime movies in it to feel a filler arc of Naruto.  I don't want to watch the game i want to play the game.  And if I've already explored the area I don't want to have to endure you taking me there for 5 minutes every single time.  

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I love travel time but the problem this game has is it makes you do pointless runs through several loading screens at the spaceport. Just do what SWG had where it's one loading screen from Planet to Planet but you ahve to wait like 5/10 mins for the ship to arrive or in SWTORs case for your ship to be prepared.

• Lauski007Lauski007 Member Posts: 5

I think you all have it right here and actually agree, but don't realize it.

The problem you're all speaking to is the core issue with two necessary mechanics in an MMO, one of which doesn't exist as much as it should, or hardly at all in SWTOR:

1. Areas cannot and should not always be instantly teleported to when you want to get to them, or complete the previous one (Be it for reasons of physics, logical / real-world simulation an MMO goes for, etc.)

2. Since instantaneous travel isn't always available to you in MMO's-- socializing, discovery and incentive need to be inevitable during travels

Think first of PacMan, or some other non-MMO game. You complete a "level" and it takes you to the next challenge automatically. Acceptable.

How about even Modern Single Player Games that I've enjoyed that still "instantly" transport you, like BioWare's own Mass Effect series? Pretty much insta-loading and instance-loading as you move from one area to the other, but there's usually something to interact with/look for, or you're immediately put into action, something to do, a risk of death, etc... Acceptable.

Think of Other MMOs, with non-hubbed, uber-instanced areas every step of the way on a journey. You could be running through a forest to another town to turn in your quest and either stumble upon something happening... IE: world events, someone in trouble, discover a new place you hadn't seen before, or find something of value. Acceptable.

Well, the real problem is, this isn't a single player game. We run through all these various corridors without any NPCs, objects to interact with or any interesting mechanics. And, this is an MMO... we're supposed to run into one another. See one another. Help one another. Even outside the silly [exit area, corridor, on ship, pilot ship, off ship, corridor, entry area] each time... I find that I don't run past people "doing something" in the game. Every corner of the map seems like the real destination, with nothing happening on the path to it.  And, even when you get to the endpoints where people are in the planets, a lot of times they are behind a red/green barrier so we can't interact with one another anyway. Unacceptable.

This is why "just 7 minutes" feels like an eternity to some. Because of this oversight. Your tolerance levels may vary... but I think "just 7 minutes" to get from point A to point B, with NO chance of anything interesting happening... especially since I have to repeatedly travel "just 7 minutes" several times during one gameplay session just isn't right!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

You are talking about 7-10 minutes... This makes no sense to me... 

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Sovrath

Sorry, I'm with GTWander.

I want a world where I can travel because it's a world.

Different demographics I suppose.

Normally I would agree, but if that world is filled with no scenery is it really worth it?  For example.  I lived in Idaho a few years back.  I had an hour trip from one town to Boise with literally nothing but brushland off the side of the highway.  Most boring drive, ever. 

Now, I live in Virginia.  When I drive an hour to get from city to city there is so much to look at and get IMMERSED in that the hour isn't a pain and is worth doing.  

So, same time, same distance, different value to each place and it's effect on my perception.  SWTOR is the Idaho drive.  That's what the OP is getting at.   Couple that with a story driven MMO it's a horrible implementation.  When story, good stories are driven by pacing, SWTOR's travel time and other barriers like having to do side quests ad nauseum, completely ruin that pacing altogether.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i think taking time to get somewhere is what mmo's are all about..but sadly with this game its the way peopleget where they are going..load screen after load screen that pisses me off.if it was open like say vanguard for instance i would'nt have a problem but sadly it is not