Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA BioWare is talking about population/transfers/merges

Haven't seen a thread about it, but EA BioWare are talking about population, character transfers and the possibility of server merges.

Key quotes:

"One of the problems we’re running into right now is kind of a classic MMO problem, which is that our overall population of players has not changed, but our peak concurrent users has changed."

"Are server merges a possible solution? Absolutely. Are character transfers a possible solution? They’re a definite solution and we’re going after that first. But all things are on the table."

Find the full article with quotes from EA BioWare's Lead Designer Daniel Erickson here: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1324496/swtor_bioware_reponds_to_criticism_server_merges_still_possible.html

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Their overall population of players has not changed?

Why do they lie? 

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by colddog04

Why do they lie? 

EA shareholders.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

"overall population of players has not changed, but our peak concurrent users has changed"

Why would a gaming company even bother saying that? No one would believe it, so it makes the company seem like its lying.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Why do they lie? 

Cause they are still holding on to the definition of accounts (even though atm are enabled by default under 'free' status) as enabled subscriptions, instead of logged in users. Many games do this, it's not only easier to keep track of, but for many they have a subscription model so they are getting income either way.  However, in this case they basically gave every a free trial, so it's not an accurate number.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

Actually they lie to the gamers they dont lie to shareholders... the shareholders got a report that subscriptions were well under 800k but they still claim 1.5million+ to gamers. The reason for this is to try and grasp at the last remnants holding onto the game in hopes that lieing to them will keep them there.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by SlothnChunk

Why do they lie? 

EA shareholders.

This ^ as well.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Why do they lie? 

I guess when you give everybody a free month it counts as everybody is still playing the game. maybe they count me as a customer still because i got a free month. even though the game is uninstalled on my computer.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Why do they lie? 

They don't want to admit it's changed. Once the 6 months subs and now the free days on top of that goes away, they'll HAVE to face reality. My husband bought a 6 months sub and many others I know bought 3-6 months subs, all have quit playing. So they look as to be subscribers but none are ingame playing.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Their over all population includes people that have unsubbed but still have time remaining on their account, those people who are no longer logging in creating those "peak" performance problmes they were having.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Why do they lie? 

How can you know?

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Wow very soon i would say.

That means we will have it  buy to play in 1 year or less

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by Larsa

"One of the problems we’re running into right now is kind of a classic MMO problem, which is that our overall population of players has not changed, but our peak concurrent users has changed."

I saw this and I was going to post it here but I was to busy laughing at this.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

"One of the problems we’re running into right now is kind of a classic MMO problem, which is that our game really isnt that good so our concurrent users has changed."

FEEXT!

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by aesperus

Why do they lie? 

EA shareholders.

This ^ as well.

How could they lie to shareholders though? Those people get to see the numbers, one would presume... either way... none of this is a big surprised to most of us, I would think.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by DeaconX

Originally posted by aesperus

Why do they lie? 

EA shareholders.

This ^ as well.

How could they lie to shareholders though? Those people get to see the numbers, one would presume... either way... none of this is a big surprised to most of us, I would think.

They legally can't. But that's why they offered so much free time lately. Those people that all came back, even for five minutes, will all get counted. They are padding the books.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

March 8th shareholder transcripts.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1728125741x0x551670/86a5c9a0-1ee8-480f-887b-04bf50c8d268/ERTS_Wedbush_03082012_Transcript.pdf

"I've heard from investors today saying that

we must have 800,000 subscribers. I heard 600,000 yesterday. So what I think a lot of people have

misunderstood is we said we had 1.7 million subscribers on the last call, which was about a month ago. What that

was about was the fact that only about – just about half that number had triggered through their 30-day point and

become active subscribers, our definition of recurring subscribers.

We had about half that total still in the 30-day trial period, but they're subscribers because that first month is

including with a package good. What I said a month ago was, just over half."

Soo, they counted people that bought the game and had the 30 days from buying it as subscribers because they had 30 days free when buying the game? Trying to understand this.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

The game is bleeding like a stuck pig and these bozos are talking basic first aid. Textbook denial.

• HeavyTrafficHeavyTraffic Member Posts: 54

So it's a classic problem for all MMORPGs but you had NO plan to address the problem at launch?  Server mergers/transfers are in the WORKS even though you KNEW this would be a problem?

Cry me a river.

#OccupyFatman

Originally posted by Tayah

March 8th shareholder transcripts.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1728125741x0x551670/86a5c9a0-1ee8-480f-887b-04bf50c8d268/ERTS_Wedbush_03082012_Transcript.pdf

"I've heard from investors today saying that

we must have 800,000 subscribers. I heard 600,000 yesterday. So what I think a lot of people have

misunderstood is we said we had 1.7 million subscribers on the last call, which was about a month ago. What that

was about was the fact that only about – just about half that number had triggered through their 30-day point and

become active subscribers, our definition of recurring subscribers.

We had about half that total still in the 30-day trial period, but they're subscribers because that first month is

including with a package good. What I said a month ago was, just over half."

Soo, they counted people that bought the game and had the 30 days from buying it as subscribers because they had 30 days free when buying the game? Trying to understand this.

THIS man knows EXACTLY what was meant

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

The game is bleeding like a stuck pig and these bozos are talking basic first aid. Textbook denial.

This :P

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Tayah

Why do they lie? 

They don't want to admit it's changed. Once the 6 months subs and now the free days on top of that goes away, they'll HAVE to face reality. My husband bought a 6 months sub and many others I know bought 3-6 months subs, all have quit playing. So they look as to be subscribers but none are ingame playing.

I unsubbed in Feb but I orginally bought 6 months of game time I believe it runs out in June thankfully, I haven't logged in since I quit kept reading the offical forums 1.2 didnt look like it was going to bring in anything significant so i uninstalled the game.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

Actually they lie to the gamers they dont lie to shareholders... the shareholders got a report that subscriptions were well under 800k but they still claim 1.5million+ to gamers. The reason for this is to try and grasp at the last remnants holding onto the game in hopes that lieing to them will keep them there.

Its illegal to lie to shareholders, but they can lie to their customers all day. Gotta love MMO devs.

It really is sad but BioWare I think completely MISSED the point of a 'Star Wars MMORPG'.

What sucks is, I've met a lot of those guys and they are big Star Wars fans :/ this is simply what direction the wind blew from above and it's.... pretty disappointing.  Truly a missed opportunity to capture the hearts and minds and rekindle the the love of a lot of Star Wars fans who simply want to 'be' in that universe.

A lot of what Star Wars has become seems to be 'missing the point'.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

LOL!

Whatever BW, just make it so that people who still play the game can at least get their money's worth.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Golelorn

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

Its illegal to lie to shareholders, but they can lie to their customers all day. Gotta love MMO devs.

lying to share holders has been a practice since 1515. As long as your truth is nebulous, lies are not binding.