Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift is still the second best MMORPG on the market imo.

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

As much as I wanted SWTOR to be amazing that game has zero endgame. Rift is all endgame with the best raids (imo) on the market. Endgame is where it's at when it comes to linear type mmos. 

Rift may not be the most popular mmo on the market but you can't deny that it has an amazing amount of endgame content for a game that's been out just over a year.

Trion made a great game gratz.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Personal opinion, while I do like Rift better we will have to wait and see what TORs number are in a year from now to compare it to Rift.

I think Rift has a longer chance of surviving than TOR, because Trion is a good company devoted to making more content, EA will cut the cord as soon as TOR stops turning enough of a profit.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I will say this much, RIft is the first mmo to ever make me look forward to endgame when lvling.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Personal opinion, EVE is a far better MMORPG, Rift is good for a standard theme park title.

I do like SWTOR's leveling/story model better than Rifts, can't speak to end game raiding as I don't do gear grinds anymore.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by Kyleran

Personal opinion, EVE is a far better MMORPG, Rift is good for a standard theme park title.

I do like SWTOR's leveling/story model better than Rifts, can't speak to end game raiding as I don't do gear grinds anymore.

Obviously its all personal opinion but depending on who you ask Eve could be anything from an expansive epic sci-fi simulation to a game with no pve content with the exception of randomized missions.

I never include Eve in to the mix when i discuss traditional mmos. I will say its easily the best sandbox even though thats not saying much since that sub-genre has been dead since the NGE.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

I would say when it comes to Sanboxes Eve comes in first, but I do agree with the OP, although with the massive delays in content and milking of the playerbase I would not call WoW number 1 right now. Rift is missing that big feeling.

We need them to open planetouched Wilds to add some considerable landmass to the game and then us through the Rifts to the planes.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I recently returned to RIFT.  Some friends continued to play even after I took a hiatus from the game, they were relentless in their attempts to get me to return, and I'm glad they kept pestering me.

In the short time I was gone, the game has undergone a bit of a makeover, and I like the direction the game is going.  I can only hope that Trion keeps the momentum up, and that there will be BIG changes when their first expansion is released (namely, Planar exploration).

I'm going to have my hands full this year with Diablo 3, RIFT, and maybe GW2 if the spastic Hype-monsters can keep a cool head and NOT shovel the damned game down my throat.

I was going to check out The Secret World as well, but I'm sooooo through with anything having to do with EA.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Agreed Well said Ascended One.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

EVE?

Where you need 6mo just to be considered entry level and another 3-4 years to get to average?

Don't get me wrong, The game looks like it would be everything in an MMO I'd want. Except this.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by Z3R01

As much as I wanted SWTOR to be amazing that game has zero endgame. Rift is all endgame with the best raids (imo) on the market. Endgame is where it's at when it comes to linear type mmos. 

Rift may not be the most popular mmo on the market but you can't deny that it has an amazing amount of endgame content for a game that's been out just over a year.

Trion made a great game gratz.

What's the first best game?

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

EVE?

Where you need 6mo just to be considered entry level and another 3-4 years to get to average?

Don't get me wrong, The game looks like it would be everything in an MMO I'd want. Except this.

This is the biggest misunderstanding about EVE. You can be entry level within a month, possibly less if you have someone guiding you on what skills to learn. It doesn't take long to become very good at a very focused job. Most PvP fleets need a bunch of small tackle and ecm frigates to lock down a target, it is all about team play. You enter the game being abe to fly frigates and you only need a few specialized skills otherwise to be able to start tackling. another week or two to max those skills out.  So it really doesn't take any time at all to get into the game even if you are going straight for pvp.

Having a bigger ship doesn't mean you have an IWIN button. A handful of frigates, strategically loaded out can lock down and pop a battleship. Big ships are not well suited to target small fast frigates especially if they orbit the big guy close and fast, like a swarm of angry hornets.

Further, even once you have lots of skills, you only use a few skills at a time to do things. when you go pvp you are not using your mining skills. Being able to fly both Amarr and Caldari Battlecruisers is great but you can only fly one of them at a time. the skills for the other don't make you any better, just more versatile.

It is not going to take you a year of skilling up to get into the big leagues. It might, however, take you that long to really figure the game out and become good at what it is you choose to do with your character. You do need to be willing to put some serious effort into learning if you are going to get much out of EVE.

As for Rift, Rift is a great game. I think it is currently the best done game on the market. That doesn't mean that it will be everyone's favorite game, different people prefer different things. But like it or hate it, it is hard to say that Rift isn't well done and a model for how MMOs companies should at least attempt to do their thing.

All die, so die well.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I was telling people way long times ago that RIFT was going to be the best game over SWTOR before TOR's release.  Every one called me a nut and a loon. I dont think I was in the wrong with my comments at all.

Originally posted by eycel

I was telling people way long times ago that RIFT was going to be the best game over SWTOR before TOR's release.  Every one called me a nut and a loon. I dont think I was in the wrong with my comments at all.

I saw it a lot back in Feb or so. People coming back to Rift having quit TOR. They said haow bad the game was.

I never played it. Every now and then, I kinda get the itch...you know, Cuz it's Star Wars.

But someone talks me out of it.

Even if I play it for a month. Once the boxed fee drops in price, I might do it.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by eycel

And the numbers bear that out.  Oh wait...

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

It depends what you mean by "best".

If you are talking about numbers, then SWTOR still probably beats out Rift for 2nd place, for now, with WoW naturally in 1st, however if you are talking about quality would have to say at present Rift is #1

That of course will probably change with the release of GW2 and TSW. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

EVE?

Eve is not a game, its an economics lesson. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Personal opinion, while I do like Rift better we will have to wait and see what TORs number are in a year from now to compare it to Rift.

I think Rift has a longer chance of surviving than TOR, because Trion is a good company devoted to making more content, EA will cut the cord as soon as TOR stops turning enough of a profit.

I think swtor has a better survival rate just based on the fact that EA is the publisher. If EA was all about cutting losses then WAR would have gone f2p or got cancelled a while back. I'm not saying its better then rift but I'd be surprised to see EA allow tor go f2p within the first couple years unless things get a lot worst then it already is.
  • BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

EVE?

EVE isn't perfect but I don't agree with your time assessment.  I recently got a bunch of Mount and Blade: Warband friends to join me in EVE and they were killing much older players within a couple weeks.  You just need to specialize your skill training as a new player.  And anyone can kill a stupid miner, LOL.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Since im not an endgame type of player i would prefer to play SWTOR over Rift because it has more replayability at lower levels. However, both have too low replayability at low levels compared to WoW for me to stick with them and have some alts. My personal opinion and preference. I like RIft but if i cant enjoy replaying different races and classes then im not interested in subscribe

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by stragen001

It depends what you mean by "best".

If you are talking about numbers, then SWTOR still probably beats out Rift for 2nd place, for now, with WoW naturally in 1st, however if you are talking about quality would have to say at present Rift is #1

That of course will probably change with the release of GW2 and TSW. 

Well I mean, its all opinon when you get down to it. There are probably a good amount of WoW players that think its the best quality game, having a expansive range of mods, some like the story, etc. Granted I really liked Rift(I never play mmos in general much more then 4ish months...just my own quirk) and not really sure where I would rate them all overall. Story telling, for sure TOR gets some big points, I really liked all the voice acting. But world(s) it got knocked down a bit. For unexpected entertainment(Rifts, invasions and all that) obviously I hand it to Rift. Towns and overall lore(even if it is being bastardized many times) I honestly do like WoW. Rifts towns were....well tents, the same with TOR. I prefered the worlds for Rift and WoW, but its honestly because TOR ended up seeming small, even if some planets like Hoth were pretty big. I sort of liked the story for FFXI and its towns, but the interface didn't suit me. Since I prefer PvE EVE was a miss for me as well. DAoC ranked high, but since its not really doing anything anymore I didn't list it right away. EQ, well I loved the lore, world, etc. but I figured you were mostly writing about modern mmos.

TL;DR or you just want to avoid my rambling, I don't have a paticular thought on the best MMO, since they all in my opinion excell at some things and fall flat on their face on others.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Leveling

SW:TOR <--- WoW <--- Rift

Endgame

WoW <--- Rift <--- <--- LotRO <--- EQ2 <--- Aion <--- Age of Conan <--- SW:TOR

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Endgame

EQ2 <--- Age of Conan <--- Aion <--- LotRO <--- WoW <---  SW:TOR <--- Rift 

Fixed that for you.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Trion know how to do an MMO. For me it lacks good open world PvP and that's the only reason I don't play now.

I can't fault the devs though. They have done an excellent job pushing out new content.

Compare it to Bioware who are still fixing bugs and adding standard mmo features that were missing at launch, 4 MONTHS IN, you have to wonder if they have a clue.

• SoopamanSoopaman Member Posts: 65

Stating your opinion is not enough reason to rate a game as number 2. Opinions are worthless unless your claim can be backed up with factual data. Clearly based on estimate mothly "playing" sub numbers. Rift is not number 2. Also showing how flawed ppl opinions are. Rift is currently ranked number one on mmorpg.com under released games.

The Gaming Community Can Kiss My Arse

Originally posted by jacklo

Trion know how to do an MMO. For me it lacks good open world PvP and that's the only reason I don't play now.

I can't fault the devs though. They have done an excellent job pushing out new content.

Compare it to Bioware who are still fixing bugs and adding standard mmo features that were missing at launch, 4 MONTHS IN, you have to wonder if they have a clue.

No, no wonder at all.

Originally posted by Soopaman

Stating your opinion is not enough reason to rate a game as number 2. Opinions are worthless unless your claim can be backed up with factual data. Clearly based on estimate mothly "playing" sub numbers. Rift is not number 2. Also showing how flawed ppl opinions are. Rift is currently ranked number one on mmorpg.com under released games.

Let's put it this way. I am currently subbed to one game.

It's not WoW or SWTOR.

So how does that make it No.2 for me?