Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 question (Not a hate thread)

StyleGamingStyleGaming Member Posts: 43

I have seen lots of videos of GW2 and I do plan on playing it myself. But I have a main concern.

What will keep us playing GW2??

If gear/levels do not matter then what are we working for? What will keep us interested? Doing the same stuff over and over again gets repetitious and boring.

Again this is not a hate thread so please try to keep it civil. 

Thanks!

- http://www.youtube.com/user/myfreestylegaming

AC>EQ>War>EVE>AoC>Aion>SWTOR>FireFall>Tera/GW2

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by StyleGaming

I have seen lots of videos of GW2 and I do plan on playing it myself. But I have a main concern.

If gear/levels do not matter then what are we working for? What will keep us interested? Doing the same stuff over and over again gets repetitious and boring.

Thanks!

What keeps you playing other mmos, keep in mind the underlined part of your quote when you answer.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Fun, friends, new content and any old content you haven't seen yet.

I agree that doing the same stuff over and over is boring, but you're probably going to end up doing that more often in a game built with the idea of progressive raids and PvP that are based around getting better gear.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

Thanks!

You aren't saying that doing the same thing over and over again for gear/levels is interesting are you? 

Do what interests you. I knew players in GW1 who explored, farmed titles, farmed for gold, did various forms of PvP, did dungeons. GW2 will add more to that. You don't have to fixate on one thing you can do any of them you feel like doing. If it's not your cup of tea and you needs the gear/level you'll be disappointed. 

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

I'm an altoholic so I will probably be in heaven ^^

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Fun.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

I think one of GW2's biggest strengths is going to be its exploration. Keep in mind that wherever you go in the world of GW2 you will always be challenged. 

MMOs IMO were never supposed to be about raiding/treadmilling.  GW2 has a huge world to offer with many dynamic events to experience. Do not forget about dungeons that can give you cool looking gear pieces. 

I honestly think if you didnt like how GW1 was as far as gear goes you arent going to like GW2 because it is basically the same thing.  

Getting prestige is what makes you 1337 in GW2 , not gear or level.

-I am here to perform logic

• asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

Thanks!

So why do people keep playing starcraft? Team Fortress? More FPS games? Sim City? Moba games? RPG games?

Isn't raiding the "SAME STUFF OVER AND OVER AGAIN"?

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Originally posted by Mavacar

I'm an altoholic so I will probably be in heaven ^^

I'm with you on this!

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Thanks!

Well, personally, I kinda wanna slay the dragon

:)

With over 1,000 dynamic events, dungeons and wvw, you only will be repeating content if you want to. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

As long as Anet can keep a very agressive content release schedule, you can say "Fun". If they don't, even all these new innovative steps will get tiring after so many times through. Then it stops being fun. At that point, unless you are a title hunter or will go to extended lengths to aquire social gear, you probably will put GW2 down until they do release new contnet.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170

Thanks!

I'm hoping the world vs. world aspect will keep me playing. Holding keeps, and when besieging disrupting supply lines so they can't repair looks excellent.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Thanks!

I've just gotta ask... How is the part in red any different from a gear/levels treadmill.

That said, if ALL you care about is gear grinding and dinging... this is probably not the game for you. There is a ton of stuff in the game, but it all comes down to exploring, pvp, trying challenging content (difficult dungeons / boss monsters), meta-events / DEs, WvW, just general goofing off.

It's like asking what's so fun about a playground when you've got a television. Sure the television can entertain you by spoon feeding you the same show in 100 different variations, but the playground is just fun and feels good to play in.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Thanks!

Sadly if Gear/levels kept people playing people wouldn't keep MMO hopping. Very few MMO's survive now days without being forced to go free to play.

WoW keeps the gear/level treadmill going on forever basically. This is why so many keep playing and why so many hate it. It's nothing but a gear/level progression game with no real meat to it. But.... there simply aren't many MMO's that offer something different. Those that offer the same do so with better graphics or w/e but it's content light compaired to a game thats been out since 2004.

I personally never understood the point of the level/gear chase in most MMO's.

Q) Why do you get better gear?

A) So that I level up

Q) Why do you need to be a higher level?

A) To get better gear duh!

To achieve the above it seems one must do repetative activities that many do not seem to find fun until they either finally get the level/gear they were after or until they have lost what ever sanity they had.

To me this would not be a game, not one I could or would stick with.

When did so many forget that games were meant to be entertaining? These achievements mean nothing in the real world, your real life friends (Unless they play these games with you) care little about what level your Orc warrior is, they care little if you've gotten your purples. Same applies to pretty much every aspect of your life outside of game, these in game achievements mean absolutely nothing.

So... if these achievements mean zip, why trade fun for them?

Whats there to keep us playing GW2?  Hopefully a large variety of fun filled/challenging activities that we can start enjoying on day one, which it looks like Anet is going to deliver.

my question is

Why are you chasing gear and levels and what keeps you playing that type of game?

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

To me it breaks down into how the game will be played.

Lets say leveling 3 characters, takes me (100 hours ea) 300+ hours to max

Then add my addicition to exploring. 100+ hours

Now my other addiction, play my 3 characters in PVP arena. assume 300+ hours again

Then world PVP with all three characters. ???? god knows but it looks like 500+ for me

Crafting gather 50+ hours

So assuming that part. 1000+ hours for $60 bucks. If I play 20 hours a week that's a year of gameplay. All I can hope for is they don't have an expantion before a year.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Personally I love to do things to get better gear, its always fun to uncrease your stats in one way or another.

but its not the only reason for end game , you do need to find other things to leep ppl busy.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by Bunks

Now my other addiction, play my 3 characters in PVP arena. assume 300+ hours again

Then world PVP with all three characters. ???? god knows but it looks like 500+ for me

So assuming that part. 1000+ hours for $60 bucks. If I play 20 hours a week that's a year of gameplay. All I can hope for is they don't have an expantion before a year.

Sorry Bunks .....I don't see any time scheduled for chasing carrots ? Perhaps GW2 actually gives you the carrot

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    probably the same things that kept people playing guild wars for years, in large numbers. it's just harder to understand coming from just WoW-alikes because you simply view the game as wow minus raiding.

time will tell.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I imagine it depends on what you feel you should get for $60.

I've seen estimates that there are 2000 dynamic events, 200 hidden areas, 8 or 9 dungeons that have both an initial story mode and a more elaborate explorer mode that contains multiple pathways with different bosses depending on which path you choose as well as "dynamic events" within the dungeon (so that corridor you went down before might have a veteran troll hiding in it the next time). Each dungeon has a unique armor set for people into those things.

Add to this 3 faction large scale PvP on top of it, area bosses to be fought, personal stories which will vary depending on the choices during character creation and along the way, content will always remain challenging with down-leveling, and even traveling through the same area will possibly have different content depending on what is happening in the DE chains/time of day. I imagine that this is hundreds of hours of content at the very least.

Will this be enough? No, there will certainly come a time when you have either seen most of the game or just get bored. However, the game is B2P. If you compare this to some products out there now, you have to pay a sub fee on top of the box price just to play. So for $120 plus the price of the expansion, you might, for example, have the exact same 8 boss raid and 3 five-man instances for 8 months, only to have all your gear immediately replaced when the next expansion or patch comes out. I'm not knocking this, a ton of people enjoy it. The question is what is worth it to you and what do you enjoy.

I imagine ANet is trying to create a franchise like they did with GW1, so I imagine regular expansion packs that will keep the game interesting, and I suspect they have plenty of other things up their sleeves.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

If you're having fun, the repetition won't bother you. People in the forum seem to be scoffing at the idea of "fun" being enough to keep you playing, which is hilarious. You'd think none of them have ever replayed a game before in their lives. I've played through Lufia maybe 3 times, I've played through ME1 and 2 twice each, DA2 4 times each. Each time a playthrough changes only so much. Dynasty Warriors is the very height of repetitiveness, but I love those games, and I'm working on getting my 20th general maxed right now in DW7. The campaigns in GW1 don't change from one character to another, but I've still taken 4 different classes through all of them.

Games are fun. You can't help repetitiveness, you can only add more content to give people new things to do, but even that takes time. The only time repetetive gameplay is an issue for an MMO, in my opinion, is when the game has you doing the same thing from beginning to end. Provided the ride itself is enjoyable, I'm more than happy to play it all over again. Maybe it's just me.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

Originally posted by Baddogbill

Sorry Bunks .....I don't see any time scheduled for chasing carrots ? Perhaps GW2 actually gives you the carrot

I like that better then getting the stick. 

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I think guildwars2 will have two big draws.

First the pvp. both competitive and in the mists. This is going to be huge for a lot of people. Getting rematched with other servers ever two weeks. being able to jump in at will and join a squad.  The stratagy of a strike team going to block an important supply route. The list is almost endless. Of course this will be for people who really want the pvp but that is not a small group.

Second, take a look at guild wars 1. You hit max level at 20, well before you were half way done with your first campaign. Why bother going on from there. You had three big continents to explore. you got more on Tyria with the EotN expansion. As you explored, you found new skills and new heros. In GuildWars2, you also find stuff from exploring, traits? I forget now. You also find new people to help and thus get access to new karma vendors. In guild wars 1 it was easy to get max level gear but as you explored new places you could get different styles of max level gear. I suspect that they will do similarly in GW2.

Also keep in mind. That you can come back to old areas and probably do them again with a whole new experience. Given the level of branching in the dynamic events, there is no guarentee that when you return to that village that something completely different might be going on from when you were there last. This will work well for both having alts as well as simply re-exploring with your main, or joining a low level friend with that main.

There are other ways to progress than simply in raw power.

All die, so die well.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Baddogbill

I'll let you know in about 3 months if I am on shedule or behind schedule. Odds are I will probably be behind,

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

I don't understand why people disregard gear without stat progression. I for one will try to grind out every piece of high level gear there is... which should give me plenty of months to play

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Thanks!

Your current mindset is the same as for every single MMO out there. Get to max level, grind out the best gear possible, then new gear comes out, grind some more to get those.

In every other game out there, the end game occurs after 1 or 2 month( might be 1 week or 2 week)  of gameplay depending on if you are hardcore or casual.

What I believe GW2 will change is that the game starts once you log in, there is no end game because the end game is the game itself. Every quest, every dungeon you get and complete will be at your appropriate level regarding of if its 1 month or 2 month after you start playing this game.

Of course, if the only things that keeps you playing a game is repetitive grinding for the next tier of gear by doing the same dungeon over and over( highest current tier of dungeon), ( the same old PVP instances ) then by all means, GW2 might not be for you.

Personally I am just really tired of the Healer, Tank, DPS. I really hate that Tanks stands there regardless of what happens and just absorb damage, and healers stand far away healing the tank.

Just watched TERA Boss Fights, once again, the Lancer and warriors just stands there, taking the hits using the skills, but takes the hits while the healer in the party heals constantly. And the dps just smash the attack keys to get the most DPS out of the fight. yet with all the dodge, movements, the tanks stays still infront of the mob, and the healers still move and heals the tank. With so much action build into the game, they are still just standing there taking the hits.

Really hoping that GW2 will change that mentality so that future games being build will utilize the NON-Trinity mechanics and expand on it.

Back to topic, some GW2 players will enjoy the WvWvW for months and years, while others will enjoy the challenge of the Structure PVP, and many others will enjoy the PVE dungeons and its explorable modes, and the Dynamic events.

Every game out there offers something to someone , it might not be for you, but you are always welcome to buy the game and try it yourself.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by asianbboy101

Thanks!

So why do people keep playing starcraft? Team Fortress? More FPS games? Sim City? Moba games? RPG games?

Isn't raiding the "SAME STUFF OVER AND OVER AGAIN"?

This...

Personally, I blame Blizzard and their brainwashing

and as I see more and more of these thread...Im getting more and more pissed off

...and they dont even realise it...sad really...

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them