Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: PAX East Hands On Preview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Red 5 Studios was out in force at this year's PAX East and we were on hand to check out their upcoming sci-fi MMOFPS, FireFall. Read on for our full hands-on preview!

During my play session, I jumped into a freshly created Assault class named ExcitedStache. The game got off on a good foot on this alone, I must admit. If you haven’t seen FireFall before, you’ll instantly be struck by its visuals. The game features a vibrant cel-shaded style that is strongly reminiscent of Gearbox’s Borderlands.  I didn’t spend too much time with the game, but what was immediately notable about this MMO was the game’s verticality.

Read more of Michael Bitton's: FireFall: PAX East Hands On Preview.

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

iam surprised red5 studios havent given mmorpg.com some beta key giveaways since youve been  hyping the crap out of this game here- least they could do is return the favor.

<.<

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

FF is still in early Closed Beta hence the reaon why there is no Beta keys giveaway.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• LynfiordLynfiord Member UncommonPosts: 16

I really hope to be able and get a key sooner or later to try this out, sounds quite promising about the free to play fps/tps pve/pvp but a bit scary for the very same reasons.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

This looks like Borderlands online, it looks promising.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Edit: Nevermind. Got my key, and now I feel like a complete ASS. That'll teach me to post when in such a foul mood. Apologies to all. Now excuse me, I need to go eat some crow...

• adrift02adrift02 Member Posts: 3

Seems like Red 5 has been sending out a lot of invites recently and is making an effort to ensure its active community members are in-game. Regardless, this is real beta testing, the point is to get the game ready for everyone. 

• justencasejustencase Member UncommonPosts: 3

Hello all

I've been playing the beta for a few weeks now. They have fun game. The fact you can play all the classes with one toon is BRILLANT. All you have to is go back to city go to a load out terminal and choose something else. You can change from assault to medic or engineer what ever you like you have to lvl each class but any skills you have learned already you can still do. IE craft light thumpers or refine differnt kinds of matieral. They dont have the Guild or Market fuctions setup yet

But imo the guild functions will make or break this game. In all  MMOs its the community that keeps thing going in a game. So what ever they choose if it Guilds, Clan, Tribes what ever. They need to make it where It levels with the work done guildies. rewards offered as your level.

A few Ideas Guild house, Guild armor(even if this just specail colors) , craftng stations, job termails , drop ships, depoyable bases, better jobs offered by faction gained by your guild,

IMO the more people work together as a group they will become friends and log in more to play with them. Soon you will have a nightly crowd that its just the norm to log in nightly and hang out with your friend and play the game.

I hope this game does well. As someone who is looking for a new game to call home.

Good luck Firefall you have a great theme. Now just make where people want to come play.

JustenCase

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by orbitxo

iam surprised red5 studios havent given mmorpg.com some beta key giveaways since youve been  hyping the crap out of this game here- least they could do is return the favor.

<.<

If I had a company, mmorpg.com would be the last place I would give beta keys.  It would be due to of the attitudes of the posters in the forums.  Heck, I'd likely not make a game.  The sense of entitlement might prevent me from building that game.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Sure, people who have the time/money to go to PAX get into beta, but people who have been signed up since signups were available? Fuck 'em! They're too poor to go to PAX, so they probably don't have much money to spend in the cash shop anyway, right?

Way to slap people in the face there, Red5.

I think that's a bit of an over-reaction, but I've also been signed up since the beginning and still haven't received a beta key either and it is a bit irritating.  I'm pretty sure that aside from these special key giveaways, the only way in now is to know someone already in.  I don't.  And at this point, it's looking more and more like my plate will be too full when it does release for me to be able to get into it.  A shame.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Wasn't this game supposed to be released by Christmas of last year, or am I thinking of a completely different game? Anyways I feel like I have had this game on my radar forever since I first heard of it. Looking forward to see how it plays. 

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Sure, people who have the time/money to go to PAX get into beta, but people who have been signed up since signups were available? Fuck 'em! They're too poor to go to PAX, so they probably don't have much money to spend in the cash shop anyway, right?

People who go to gaming conventions are always going to come away with cool goodies, it's part of the ritual so to speak.

Red 5 is actually awesome. So awesome, in fact, that we'll have FireFall keys for you guys 'soon'. ;)

• SillyPantzSillyPantz Member UncommonPosts: 15

I fucking love everything about the game, and the support team is marvellous.

• ThestacheThestache Member UncommonPosts: 35

Excitedstache is my cousin :P :P

Originally posted by MikeB

Red 5 is actually awesome. So awesome, in fact, that we'll have FireFall keys for you guys 'soon'. ;)

Mike!!! i know u can invite!- plz!

:P

prvt mssg me!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I did not catch how mining the ground leads to? More custom of gear? More territory?

Firefall looks promising.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Unlight

I think that's a bit of an over-reaction, but I've also been signed up since the beginning and still haven't received a beta key either and it is a bit irritating.  I'm pretty sure that aside from these special key giveaways, the only way in now is to know someone already in.  I don't.  And at this point, it's looking more and more like my plate will be too full when it does release for me to be able to get into it.  A shame.

Well go figure.  I just got a beta invite, three hours after I wrote that.  What are the odds?

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Thestache

Excitedstache is my cousin :P :P

The more excited cousin, clearly.

• rx8993rx8993 Member UncommonPosts: 17

looks promising, and i just got my beta invite... hell yeah...

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

Any MMO that does not have any form of World PvP is not on my shopping list.  I really don't see the fun in levelling up in an MMO without the other faction(s) out trying to kill you. 

If a huge title like LOTR can fail then this game is doomed, you got to have world pvp or you are ruling out millions of players right there.

the grid- a digital frontier -i tried to picture clusters of information as they moved into the computer...what did they look like? ships motocycles were the circuits like freeways? i kept dreaming of a world id never see. and then -one day,  I GOT IN!

thanks RED 5!- got my beta key today-been playing it and love it so far so much to cover!

-cheers! no more smack talk!

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

Is this a legit MMO like Planetside, or is it more akin to Global Agenda?

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by Mackeh

Any MMO that does not have any form of World PvP is not on my shopping list.  I really don't see the fun in levelling up in an MMO without the other faction(s) out trying to kill you. 

If a huge title like LOTR can fail then this game is doomed, you got to have world pvp or you are ruling out millions of players right there.

Last I heard they'll be adding world pvp at some point, maybe that's changed. Also you don't have to shop for it, it's free.

• adrift02adrift02 Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Mackeh

Good thing they've said they are planning on having open world PvP then ;-)

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Originally posted by Impulse47

Is this a legit MMO like Planetside, or is it more akin to Global Agenda?

Bit from column a bit from column b.

World zones are open, and players spawn into and hang out in the open world, there isn't a homebase sequestered from the rest of the game world and mechanics.

PvP is pretty much all instanced for the time being, leaving PvE and crafting as the thing to do the rest of the time. Players are free to just roam about and shoot stuff, or watch other players do so.

Future implementation will expand on this, but that's not any thing near release at the moment.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• HarukoHaruko Member UncommonPosts: 45

the game looks aweomse so far.