Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zavvi reduces price of GW2 :(

Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

So Savvi are having a Mega Monday and reduced the prices on certain lines, Having bought my prepurchace from them for a physical copy for £49.99 they have reduced the price for today by 24% to £37.95, I'm guessing there able to do this by inflating the price in the first place, but due to lack of retailers having a copy I had no choice but to buy it at their inflated price other than the choice of not buying.  It narks me a bit when retailers do this.

Comments

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by biggarfoot

So Savvi are having a Mega Monday and reduced the prices on certain lines, Having bought my prepurchace from them for a physical copy for £49.99 they have reduced the price for today by 24% to £37.95, I'm guessing there able to do this by inflating the price in the first place, but due to lack of retailers having a copy I had no choice but to buy it at their inflated price other than the choice of not buying.  It narks me a bit when retailers do this.

Did you also know they seriously screwed up their CE prepurchases? I still think Anet blew it big time here though.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Not heard about that Bunks, though I'm not suprised as I dont think there was enough retailers that could of been in on the prepurchase promotion.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Bunks

Did you also know they seriously screwed up their CE prepurchases? I still think Anet blew it big time here though.

Never met a game company you didn't like to bash.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Was that initial price higher than all of the other retailers?

Originally posted by waynejr2

Maybe because many game companies lately have taken the corporate mindset to heart lately. Nah, that couldn't be it.

Maybe I should open up 7-11 stores and put everything on 10 foot high shelves, and call them inconveint stores. And then rent ladders to them as they come in, with customers like you,  I should rake in big money.

PS- let it be known, i am not a Anet hater as of this thread :)

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Ordering direct from the publisher always costs more.  I think the digital edition of SC2 is still £45 off battle.net a year odd after launch.  I saw it in gamestation for £30 the other day.

Retailers have to be competitve because of other retailers. It's actually worse for the consumer to buy from the publishers because there's no leverage for the customer from other publishers.  You pretty much always get f****d over when you only have one source to get something from.

The best thing to do is to have more patience and search for a better deal.  Being superkeen and just ordering because ANET told you to, from them, just plays into the grubby accountants hands.  Ain't the retailers fault and it is for your benefit if you shop smart.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Originally posted by Unlight

this explains it in a nutshell

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by Omnifish

Ordering direct from the publisher always costs more.  I think the digital edition of SC2 is still £45 off battle.net a year odd after launch.  I saw it in gamestation for £30 the other day.

Retailers have to be competitve because of other retailers. It's actually worse for the consumer to buy from the publishers because there's no leverage for the customer from other publishers.  You pretty much always get f****d over when you only have one source to get something from.

The best thing to do is to have more patience and search for a better deal.  Being superkeen and just ordering because ANET told you to, from them, just plays into the grubby accountants hands.  Ain't the retailers fault and it is for your benefit if you shop smart.

Couldnt buy the the physical from the Publisher only digital @ £39.99.  Only 3 retailers were listed for the UK and I even tried the retailers not listed, Amazon a listed retailer didnt have it, Play.com a listed retailer had none at the time I purchased from Zavvi who was the only option at the time.  I'm tempted to get a refund but I cant be bothered going through all the hassle and repercutions it may intail as I've recieved and registered the code.  Anet listed all the retailers because they handled the distribution to them for the promotional prepurchase scheme.

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

Originally posted by Unlight

this explains it in a nutshell

Lol.

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

Baitukas(Lithuanian retailer) had a 20% discount from the 10th, but they got the box for the game litterally 1 week later. And most of my guild mates seemed to have problems with their retailers too.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by waynejr2

Maybe because many game companies lately have taken the corporate mindset to heart lately. Nah, that couldn't be it.

Maybe I should open up 7-11 stores and put everything on 10 foot high shelves, and call them inconveint stores. And then rent ladders to them as they come in, with customers like you,  I should rake in big money.

PS- let it be known, i am not a Anet hater as of this thread :)

Well ArenaNet is a business, and their first and foremost goal is to make money. Everything a business does is to maximize their profits. 

Also, is it the store's fault or ArenaNet's fault for problems such as those?

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Look I've been bashing GW2 a lot over their cash shop, but one other thing I honestly think is that GW2 is made to go F2P after a relatively short time.  My opinion, but I'd be surprised if it isn't down to $30 within a 2-3 months after launch, with steady reduction towards F2P over the ensuing months.

As Anet said, "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind."  Once the initial rush of box purchases this will, in my opinion, go the F2P route.  Thats how it is built.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Look I've been bashing GW2 a lot over their cash shop, but one other thing I honestly think is that GW2 is made to go F2P after a relatively short time.  My opinion, but I'd be surprised if it isn't down to $30 within a 2-3 months after launch, with steady reduction towards F2P over the ensuing months.

As Anet said, "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind."  Once the initial rush of box purchases this will, in my opinion, go the F2P route.  Thats how it is built.

Not every game with a cash shop is bound to go F2P, infact I highly doubt it. Time will tell I guess.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

First off, that comic a few posts above made me laugh. I remember when everyone was complaining about ebil Gamestop in the US, and like the day before the pre-purchases Best Buy became an option, too.

That said, here's the thing. OP, and a lot of people (including me, but I'm not unhappy about it) rushed to buy the game ~the moment it was possible to do so~. In the best situation possible, it's still months before the game actually launches. That means people still have plenty of time to buy it, so it's not that odd that more retailers and different sales on the game pop up, in fact it's very likely. If you rush out to buy a game the moment it hits shelves, this is one of the chances you take. As for mark-ups on things, generally people pay anything from 300-3000% to retailers as compared to what the retailer bought the product for. So, yes, that allows for them to put things on sale and still turn a profit. They are, after all, in it for the profit. It shouldn't be a shock.

I'm not really surprised some places are offering a sale (Zavvi isn't the only one, I've seen an online retailer offering 10% off). It's going to be one of, if not the hottest, game this year, that means a lot of retailers are selling it, meaning they're all in direct competition with one another. Offering something people want at a lower price than your competitor isn't exactly uncommon.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Lets not turn this into a cash shop thread...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I don't think so.

It's my opinion that Anet will offer very frequent content updates. Trion does it now. There is no reason to think ANet can't do it either. And with that, I'd also bet that a payment option will be availabel through the shop. Or they will plan on selling a lot of box expansions. Or both.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

You are free to believe whatever you want to believe, but do get out of the habit of derailing threads for no other reason. It is clear you hate guild wars 2 and that is fine but don't you have something else better to do than troll a game you hate? Also your stupid point would be valid if it wasn't for a little game called gw1 that worked pretty well enought to warrant a sequel.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

You do have plenty of good reason to believe this .... I mean look at GW1

Released in 2005 and is still going for 19.99-29.99

As of 2009 they had only sold 6million boxes/expacs

GW had a cash shop with no game breaking items

Anet has a good reputation in the gaming community

Yep......... I see where your prediction stems from, I too am skeptical.....

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by silvermember

You are free to believe whatever you want to believe, but do get out of the habit of derailing threads for no other reason. It is clear you hate guild wars 2 and that is fine but don't you have something else better to do than troll a game you hate? Also your stupid point would be valid if it wasn't for a little game called gw1 that worked pretty well enought to warrant a sequel.

How is this derailing the thread?  It is supporting the idea that price drops will happen, and might be happening already and it isn't even released yet.  You can bet this price reduction will accelerate after launch.  GW2 is a different animal than GW1.  GW2 was "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind" as Anet said, so there really is no need for a box fee or subscription fee.

You might not like my view on this, but I think the evidence supports it.  But sure, not fact just my opinion based on the evidence.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Even though this thread got derailed into the standard Cash Shop, I still see it as a winner, I got called a GW2 hater.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by silvermember

The irony of this on a GW2 thread, from GW2 fans no less, is nothing short of sublime.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Even though this thread got derailed into the standard Cash Shop, I still see it as a winner, I got called a GW2 hater.

Meh, you get used to it. It all depends on where you stand for that given issue.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by cinos

Could you elaborate on what they did to screw it up? This comment got me kind of worried. :p

They screwed up caused Zavvy was the only UK store with CE pre purchases

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Burn the hater! ;)