Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Night to day transition (video)

SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

For those who haven't seen it yet and are interested in minor things like this (take note that the description of the video said that the video is sped up, and that the actual transition takes about 6 minutes in the game):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj2Ghwc7br0

Apparantly there's a moving sun aswell, but you couldn't see it in the vid. Don't know if this is true though.

Also, inb4 "how is this different then other games" or "lol i don't see what's so innovative about this". It's just a vid for those who want to see it guys.

Comments

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Last I read it was going to last 2 hours. 80 minutes of day, 40 minutes of night.

I'll try to find the video where I saw moon/planet in the sky, If memory serves, it did move across the sky.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Bunks

Last I read it was going to last 2 hours. 80 minutes of day, 40 minutes of night.

this is what I remember as well

Still think there should be at least a 5-10 minute period at night were it's pitch black unless there is a light sorce(ie torch, nearby town lights, fires, ect) especially for WvW.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

While were at it, add in rain with pitchblack only have lightning light up the background.

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

And giant chupacabras lurking in the bushes

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Still think there should be at least a 5-10 minute period at night were it's pitch black unless there is a light sorce(ie torch, nearby town lights, fires, ect) especially for WvW.

Yeah, I miss that from the early MMOs as well.

• NickraiderNickraider Member UncommonPosts: 131

I will forever hate having the slightest glare on my monitor while playing daoc when in its night cycle.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Too bad they covered the sound up... you can hear the ambience transition as well, night insects, etc.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

How the hell did they do this?! SWTOR forums say it's impossible to achieve this feature, that the programming is tantamount to a mission to Mars. Good for you guys, genuinely meant.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Volkon

Too bad they covered the sound up... you can hear the ambience transition as well, night insects, etc.

Awesome details, of course :) ArenaNet know what they're doing.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Impressive video.  The city looks real nice.  Now, can you show us a video of the loading screen when entering the city?  

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by Nickraider

I will forever hate having the slightest glare on my monitor while playing daoc when in its night cycle.

Oh my gosh i know! close all the blinds! close the doors! NIGHT IS COMING! That was so bad, but it added to the game.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Agree.  MMOs have taken all the fun of day/night and weather out of the game.  When it is raining I want that to affect combat and morale for instance.  And when it is night I want shops to be closed, nightime activities to ensue, and the world to be DARK if there is no full moon.

MMOs typically just make these cycles/weather visual only.  Basically meaningless.

Not sure how GW2 will handle impact of day/night and weather, but hopefully they add more meaning to it than just graphics.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Agree.  MMOs have taken all the fun of day/night and weather out of the game.  When it is raining I want that to affect combat and morale for instance.  And when it is night I want shops to be closed, nightime activities to ensue, and the world to be DARK if there is no full moon.

MMOs typically just make these cycles/weather visual only.  Basically meaningless.

Not sure how GW2 will handle impact of day/night and weather, but hopefully they add more meaning to it than just graphics.

There are events that will run only at night, and there are weapon sets that will react/behave differently at night. Not sure how much else is impacted.

They also said once that certain events will only become available during certain weathertypes, like snowstorms, thunderstorms, etc.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Originally posted by ignore_me

How the hell did they do this?! SWTOR forums say it's impossible to achieve this feature, that the programming is tantamount to a mission to Mars. Good for you guys, genuinely meant.

It's generally based on the engine. Unreal uses kismet scripting in order to achieve its day night cycle by essentially moving a light source in a specific direction then changing the skybox textures as the transition progresses. I've done it in Unreal, never understood why it was so difficult in the Hero engine. 

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by Xerith

It's generally based on the engine. Unreal uses kismet scripting in order to achieve its day night cycle by essentially moving a light source in a specific direction then changing the skybox textures as the transition progresses. I've done it in Unreal, never understood why it was so difficult in the Hero engine. 

well it looks awesome

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by Somsbal

They also said once that certain events will only become available during certain weathertypes, like snowstorms, thunderstorms, etc.

Link with proof? Not that i wouldn't like it, but that seems like it would be a lot more work to implement. That would be awesome though! Game of Thrones just poped up in my head! They could make a severe winter hit every year in game, have everyone saying "Winter is coming" and stocking up on supply for it, haha sorry, /rant off

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

I really don't know why more games don't make it more meaningful.  I mean, even something as simple as certain monster types are stronger at night than during the day would be trivial to program and add just a little more flavor.  Even old school Tolkien they wanted to avoid Orcs/Goblins at night.

Developers should add the small nuances that are easy to program where they can, as a bunch of simple small nuances can together make a difference without really requiring much more development time

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Originally posted by Xerith

well it looks awesome

It does, and it's something I feel every persistant world should have, especially if they nail the ambient sounds/lighting as the cycles progress. 

Originally posted by Wolvards

Link with proof? Not that i wouldn't like it, but that seems like it would be a lot more work to implement. That would be awesome though! Game of Thrones just poped up in my head! They could make a severe winter hit every year in game, have everyone saying "Winter is coming" and stocking up on supply for it, haha sorry, /rant off

NO, no...rant stays on. This is what we should be demanding from devs. Not this petty nonsense of what is or sint a zone or instance. These are the things we need to rant about. MORE immersion!

Originally posted by Wolvards

I don't really remember the link, sorry. I do remember that it was in an interview, but it was a pretty old one (i think it was from 2010, can't remember).

So the only link i can give you is the wiki page on it, if that's of any use to you.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weather

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Bioware took the lazy way out. Many things could have been done in TOR.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I don't find it very impressive at all, you don't really feel as if the sun is going up at all, there is no real night sky with stars, its more as if they are gradually turning on an halogen. Nothing even remotely comparable to some mmo where the whole scenery is changing ambiance with moon phases and the overall color tone of the scenery shift with the sun/moon colors. Also its nice they actually did something, as some mmo today seam to want to avoid this as well.