Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions Online: On Alert Update Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Champions Online team is ready to unleash the PR dogs with the recent announcement of the On Alert! update which is, by all accounts, supposed to be HUGE. We caught up with Rob Overmeyer to ask him a few questions about On Alert. Keep reading!

MMORPG.com: How has the game been since moving to the free to play model?

Rob Overmeyer: Champions Online has enjoyed a great many high-quality content updates and releases since going Free to Play, as well as some excellent Events! From Adventure Packs such as Serpent Lantern and Resistance, to Comic Series like Aftershock and Whiteout, players have had several new story-driven content updates to enjoy. In addition, Events have offered lots of unique encounters, from epic battles with Takofanes or Black Harlequin to special celebrations like the Anniversary Concert featuring Sapphire!

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Champions Online: On Alert Update Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

Hey first, first.

I never thought this game was as bad as people made it out to be.  I'm glad to see that they're still trying to support it and bring it up to date.  Kudos

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Making Adventure Packs free for everyone was probably the best move they could've done. Although I do wonder how well they have re-balanced the game with On Alert because there was some pretty major tweaking done, if the release notes are any indication.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

RIP until they decide to let freebies customize their power choices.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Originally posted by Methos12

Making Adventure Packs free for everyone was probably the best move they could've done. Although I do wonder how well they have re-balanced the game with On Alert because there was some pretty major tweaking done, if the release notes are any indication.

Champions Online is not about play balance.  It's about customization.  It's not like the play balance was great before the patch, either.

"RIP until they decide to let freebies customize their power choices."

So now you're shocked that a subscription game only gives away some things in the free trial rather than everything?

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

its an awesome game, if your into superheroes. and i am.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

They could've locked sets, but locking power customization made it way unbalanced for non-subscription players.

Originally posted by Alphamojo

They could've locked sets, but locking power customization made it way unbalanced for non-subscription players.

Umm... yeah.  That's the point.  If they give away everything for free, then why would anyone subscribe?  It's a very generous free trial as it is.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

Obviiously you miss the point...

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

Is this still a nerf-centric game as it started out to be at release?

• chrisj99chrisj99 Member Posts: 9

I'm glad to see that they're still trying to support it and bring it up to date.  Kudos

Originally posted by adam_nox

Originally posted by Quizzical

"RIP until they decide to let freebies customize their power choices."

So now you're shocked that a subscription game only gives away some things in the free trial rather than everything?

There's plenty of things they could monetize, but there's no reason anyone should give this game a chance if they can't even customize their power choices without committing money to these thieves.

Well then, what do you think they should charge for, if not freeform builds?  Do you think it would be a more generous trial if they let you have freeform but capped you at level 15, the way they used to?  They can't reasonably be expected to give away everything for free, and only selling fluff won't fund the game.  I'd much prefer the current subscription model to an item mall where whoever pays the most wins.

• Artair83Artair83 Member UncommonPosts: 48

Actually many games work just fine making money off of their free model, many times making more than their subscriptions. Star Trek Online is also owned by cryptic, there are no class restrictions over there and the cash shop items aren't super necessary. There's also a way to exchange game currency to other people's cash points, which  I'm not sure as I haven't played in a while but pretty sure Champs never implemented this.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Anyway, I've been hitting alerts for the past few days now and it's the most fun I've had since launch. At first it was chaotic. Remember, this was a complete powers, stats, talent tree and itemization update so we're all effectively playing a new game. Gear need to be equipped back to pre-patch levels and thas gonna take some time. That being said it is pretty cool seeing the different combos that folks come up with. The new talent trees are very well done and even the ATs get some more customization with it, not as much as paying players obviously. Bugs exist but will get ironed out blah blah blah. The point is they renewed the entire core mechanics of the game and it seems very well done.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by ahall1983

Actually many games work just fine making money off of their free model, many times making more than their subscriptions. Star Trek Online is also owned by cryptic, there are no class restrictions over there and the cash shop items aren't super necessary. There's also a way to exchange game currency to other people's cash points, which  I'm not sure as I haven't played in a while but pretty sure Champs never implemented this.

I believe the Questionite currency they just implemented in the update Friday sound like it works the same way that Dilithium works in STO, which is the system you're thinking of (that lets you buy points for the cash shop from other players).

Having said that, there are some significant differences between the two games as far as monetization is concerned.  Star Trek is a far more recognizable IP, and a STO character is comprised of a lot of different pieces and systems that I believe is easier to monetize.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

This update is really about adding a grind that will encourage people to spend money to overcome the annoyance factor.

Robobo (the interviewee's CO forum handle)  even alluded to this in a forum post where he stated that the update was intended to introduce penalties to be overcome with c-store purchases.

Much of what is going on in this update is the monetization of more of the game, essentially requiring that subscripers pay microtransactions in addition to their subscription fee in order to pursue the upper ends of the game's power curve. Technically one willing to grind (one set of calculations estimated as much as 1.5 million MOD drops...each of the same type so perhaps as many as 4 times that number of actual drops in order to get enough of the type you need...then of course there is the failure chance inherent in combining mods...)

Or you can buy "grab bags" in the c-store in order to gamble for an item that bypasses the grind.

I am hopeful that perhaps eventually things wil turn around for CO, but the current changes are questionable at best. They are designed to increase the cost of experiencing the full scope of the game for those willing to pay to play the game.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• sorudosorudo Member Posts: 3

it doesn't matter how known an IP is, when you make a good game the IP doesn't have any influence.

just look at guild wars, perfect world, team fortrest 2, etc...

they started out as games barely anyone knew, now they are one of the most famous games out there.

better yet, they are all ether F2P or B2P and everything is available, no stupid archtypes grimping a player and no annoying limits no one likes.

i rather have cryptic revise there idea and make the game truly free, currently it's bad enough they lie to the players with false promises, it's even worse they only think of the player's wallet and not on how to really make the game fun.

i am not gonna go on about the flaws of the game, i don't think i have room enough to write a 20 page post.

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86

It's a free game that allows a bunch of 5 people to group together for some classic super-powered villain-bashing and people still complain.

You want to choose your own powers and be a FreeForm, pay for it, it's not like the game's PvE features anything Archetypes can't handle.

Don't get me wrong, there's much to be desired regarding how Cryptic does certain things, mainly Star Trek Online, but once a game goes F2P and you can play it without paying a cent other than Internet fees, complaining about it seems very entitled and unrealistic.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by LordOfPit

It's a free game that allows a bunch of 5 people to group together for some classic super-powered villain-bashing and people still complain.

You want to choose your own powers and be a FreeForm, pay for it, it's not like the game's PvE features anything Archetypes can't handle.

Don't get me wrong, there's much to be desired regarding how Cryptic does certain things, mainly Star Trek Online, but once a game goes F2P and you can play it without paying a cent other than Internet fees, complaining about it seems very entitled and unrealistic.

----------------

Except that the increased monetization of the game actually targets paying customers more than it does free players. Monthly subscribers and Lifetimers are the one's being hit by this update.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• KucherbalzovKucherbalzov Member Posts: 3

The update was just what this game was missing to be able to move further in development the team did an excellent job with the planning of the changes.

Originally posted by ahall1983

was implemented in new update, and your logic is just ???  you are basically saying that they shoudl give u everything for free and hope enough of the free stuff is so good u might buy something.  i mean really WTF??   Its not there job to give u everything in life for your entertainment free.  if u go to the movies tell them that since enough people paid that day u should be able to watch it free tell me how that works out for you.

This update was about how can we stop the game from being so cookie cutter and they achieved that.  NO ONE needs over level 5 mod gear to do anything pve and they drop regualrly.  <----- This being said, the only people who will wanna push to farm the super tier gear (Which is always there choice being its not needed)  are PVP players who have there own spending habits and attitudes as we all know.  Im a hybrid player i love pvp and pve as they both present good entertainment and take some learning and good teaming to fully enjoy.  

Everyone is havign more fun than ever actually have a reason to go out and do something all the AP's are free more and more players everywhere finally seeing other players becasue they are not all solo anymore.  

• nikki9786nikki9786 Member Posts: 15

I played CO for over 2 years straight and finally took a break for a few months.  I ended up logging back into the game when I was bored right before this update happened and I decided to stick around to see what it was all about.

I really feel like I'm playing a brand new game, its a bit intimidating actually.  Theres all new skills, the stat system is different, theres specializations, and gear is all new...

I don't really like the alerts I've done so far but supposely they're better when you do them with a premade group and not pugs that just try to zerg everything.

Overall, its refreshed my interest in the game for a bit.

• FinalSparkFinalSpark Member Posts: 1

I never really been into the superhero things. However, Champions Online is one of my favourite MMOs.

I have a totally free account, and I must say, that there are a lot of things (for example the comic series, I especially like the Whiteout one), that doesn't make me feel missing the adventure packs, or other things that I can have for CP. I think, this game is greatly versatile even for free members.

Also, I found this On Alert update a very innovative thing. I like most of the new features, and the prizes are fine, I think.

However, I have to talk about the negative things too (this is only my opinion, so you can fire me if you want):

- Time: Sometimes, the game greatly pulls the players' time. I understand, if it is needed when there is something searching, or (de)activating, but even when we just open a door or picking up something?

Also, I experienced sometimes, in missions, when my character dies in a building, the loading screen comes. This'd be OK, if the game didn't put me in front of the building's door. I have to enter again, timeline comes with the interacting sign, then loading screen again. So it takes almost a minute to enter again after my character died.

- Leaving a map: When I see, that I can't complete a mission in a mission map, there is sometimes no way to leave that map. Not everywhere (for example the "GRAB THE MONEY AND RUN" mission, where there is a door which enables leaving it), but sometimes I have to completely exit the game and wait a few minutes with the relog to leave the mission map.

- Boss Fights: I have one thing, that I really don't like in them. When my character dies during a boss battle (which can happen easily with anyone), the boss instantly gains all their lost HP back (Excluding the Roin'esh General, I was so thankful for it). This also means, that the next trying will be even harder, since I lost my hero points.

Still, I really like CO. I would suggest it for others, even the ones, who aren't into the superheros world. It is a really great game, and it's mistakes are also forgiveable.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

Originally posted by FinalSpark

- Leaving a map: When I see, that I can't complete a mission in a mission map, there is sometimes no way to leave that map. Not everywhere (for example the "GRAB THE MONEY AND RUN" mission, where there is a door which enables leaving it), but sometimes I have to completely exit the game and wait a few minutes with the relog to leave the mission map.

There's an easier way. Open the quest log and click the Crime Computer icon. In the dialog there's an option to leave the instance.

• mayhemjim72mayhemjim72 Member Posts: 1

Rob Overymeyer is a liar and douche.  MANY things have been requested in the forums for MONTHS...yet nothing.  The foundry (which Cryptic put into STO) gets not even a mention of possibility.  With the foundry...you could by-pass all the lame crap the keep producing and write character specific stories for your own alts.  The stopping of grab bags...and more effort on powers and costume sets....supergroup bases....and more customization of personal hideouts.   I don't ever remember anyone begging for "alerts".   Also...they really need to give more to their subscribers.  YES, I know...free form should be enough.  But really..should it????   NO!!!!  Freebie players should have been more limited in the ways of available costume parts, available powers, and a server dedicated for paying players.   CoH already has many of these, so why is it so hard Rob?   By the way...Robobo, what an absurd name.  I do hope you read this, as it will keep me from being reprimanded in the Champions forums just for speaking my mind.