Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Report: EA About to Let Go 500-1000 People

Comments

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

The article has been updated with EA's response to the rumor:

"UPDATE - EA has issued a statement on the matter, telling MCV "There are no lay-offs as such, we always have projects growing and morphing. At any given time there are new people coming in and others leaving. EA is growing and hiring and building teams to support the growing demand for digital games and services."'

Time will tell.

Edit: Tardcore beat me to it.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Unshra

"UPDATE - EA has issued a statement on the matter, telling MCV "There are no lay-offs as such, we always have projects growing and morphing. At any given time there are new people coming in and others leaving. EA is growing and hiring and building teams to support the growing demand for digital games and services."'

Time will tell.

Of course this could always be "corp speak" for "We aren't laying anyone off." "We are just giving them endless vacations without pay."

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

That updated response just comes across odd...   we aren't really laying anyone off.   Well sure companies grow/shrink all the time but not many shrink by 500-1000 in a week due to various projects.

The only real story there... is for anyone losing a job it sucks.

As to rumor/update.   If I was a publicly traded company and my CFO who resigned AND my CEO both kept claiming we had 1.7 million subscribers.. AFTER the same CEO had stated 500,000 subs would make money....

I would certainly not want to layoff anyone and claim that the subscription numbers were a disappointment.   I would fully expect to have the FTC so far up my dark side that they would convert to the light side.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by Tardcore

Time will tell.

Of course this could always be "corp speak" for "We aren't laying anyone off." "We are just giving them endless vacations without pay."

Or, ol time popular :  these were just temporary positions

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Hey... wasn't there that post made about EA moving their 'Creative Marketing' department to China or some such?

*looks around*

Here... http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-Viral-Marketing-Exposed-Big-Buyout-Horizon-40885.html 

"There's about 560 full and part time people that do my (old) job at EA. Other companies have people in similar positions, no idea how many though."

"They recently moved their "creative" marketing segments to East Asia, hence the (my) being laid off."

So... EA are rumoured to be sacking 500-1000 people, while at the same time rumoured to have outsourced their shilling?

Discuss :)

(BTW, I get that EA have denied it, but what are they gonna say? 'yeah, we have sacked our American shills?')

" 

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

translation: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fubar

Hopefully all those 'IamSWTORmmo' youtube channels will be closed now.

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114

Looks like SWTOR sold another million copies since their earning call on dec 31.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Bardus

Been saving this for the right moment and this may be it...

Good timing

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by RodimusPrime

Looks like SWTOR sold another million copies since their earning call on dec 31.

Just fyi, that's an estimate from an outside source. Not official numbers.

So the rumor firings is ok to post but not the also rumored increase in sales in the same article?

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

OR they decided to add the number of trials to the "sold" number to pad them a bit.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

When it comes to EA, almost any official announcement should be expected as an outright lie. Just look at everything that has happened in the last 2 years with SW:TORs development. Almost every single official announcement turned out to be a lie. Even the advertising they placed for patch 1.2 was false advertising. They have lied and lied about the number of subscribers, about the low populations on many servers, and they sent one very negative report to investors while on the same day claiming completely different positive results to the gaming community in yet another lie filled official announcement.

It was no mistake EA recieved the title of "Worst Company in America".

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Kotaku posted this about half an hour ago. Note that at this time it is labled a RUMOR

Article can be found here:

http://kotaku.com/5902222/report-ea-about-to-fire-500+1000-people

"According to a report on Startup Grind, a site that normally deals with tech companies and their founders, publisher Electronic Arts will very soon lay off as many as 1000 employees.

Originally planned to take place last week, the lay offs have reportedly been slightly postponed, though may now take place " as soon as this week".

The report claims between 500-1000 employees will be affected. That's a lot of people, even for a company as big as Electronic Arts.

Startup Grind's report goes on to speculate the layoffs are a result of a disappointing 2011 in which a few hit games (like Battlefield 3) had their sales overshadowed by an overspend on marketing, expensive acquisitions and disappointing subscriber numbers for big-budget MMO Star Wars: Old Republic.

We've contacted EA for confirmation, and will update if we hear back."

EA, a complany which owns 400+ games and has over 70,000 employees... they just last week closed off a ton of old gaming servers.  This?  This company laid off a large chunk of people?  OK.  Cause for a second there, I thought this was SWTOR-related, but since it's not even remotely related to the game, WRONG FORUM!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

The update makes it sounds like they are letting go of a lot of "old school" developers and hiring a new breed of digital gurus.

Less focus on your standard boxed title for console/PC and more focus on online/mobile gaming.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by sk8chalif

Haha, we all saw this coming,  lucky i don't work for them anymore,

This type of response will always boggle me, it seems somewhat sadistic IMO. To be clear I understand disliking corporations, but getting your jollies off of others loss of employment is just not right.  Most of those people are just doing what they're told to do like any other employee. You can bet most of those truly responsible will still be coming to work the next day, making as much as 10-20 of those others combined.

image Well said Dis.  Remember this is peoples lives we are talking about here. Try and behave for a second like you are not all teanage/middleaged disfunctional malcontents and have a little empathy before shooting your mouths off.

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Kotaku posted this about half an hour ago. Note that at this time it is labled a RUMOR

"According to a report on Startup Grind, a site that normally deals with tech companies and their founders, publisher Electronic Arts will very soon lay off as many as 1000 employees.

Originally planned to take place last week, the lay offs have reportedly been slightly postponed, though may now take place " as soon as this week".

The report claims between 500-1000 employees will be affected. That's a lot of people, even for a company as big as Electronic Arts.

Startup Grind's report goes on to speculate the layoffs are a result of a disappointing 2011 in which a few hit games (like Battlefield 3) had their sales overshadowed by an overspend on marketing, expensive acquisitions and disappointing subscriber numbers for big-budget MMO Star Wars: Old Republic.

EA, a complany which owns 400+ games and has over 70,000 employees... they just last week closed off a ton of old gaming servers.  This?  This company laid off a large chunk of people?  OK.  Cause for a second there, I thought this was SWTOR-related, but since it's not even remotely related to the game, WRONG FORUM!

Oh you mean the part in the rumor orignally posted where it said:

"and disappointing subscriber numbers for big-budget MMO Star Wars: Old Republic."

That wasn't related to TOR at all... or maybe you replied in the WRONG THREAD?

*edit*

Oh and:   "EA, a complany which owns 400+ games and has over 70,000 employees... "

EMPLOYEES: 9,000 worldwide as of March 31, 2012

My source for how many employees EA has is:  http://www.ea.com/about

I'm not sure who your source is about 70,000...   I think EA probably has the correct number.

Originally posted by BloodyViking

OR they decided to add the number of trials to the "sold" number to pad them a bit.

So you choose to ignore one part of the article because it does not fit your narrative?

Well it has everything to do with SW:TOR because even EA has claimed that the success or failure of SW:TOR will be the absolute factor in the future of EA. The rise and fall of EAs stock prices are absolutly unarguably directly related to what is happening in SW:TOR. Just pull up a 6 month chart of EA stock prices and compare every drop in stock prices to the day or day after some big blunder with the game. I cannot prove it but I would bet that about 50% of all Ea assets are currently resting on the success or failure of this single game.

You are claiming that they have 70,000 employees but that doesnt mesh with the idea that 1000 employess would be about 11% of the company.

Originally posted by bobfish

The update makes it sounds like they are letting go of a lot of "old school" developers and hiring a new breed of digital gurus.

Less focus on your standard boxed title for console/PC and more focus on online/mobile gaming.

As I stated, they shut down a bunch of old games a few days ago... it's a direct cause and effect.. unrelated to SWTOR.

I know Kotaku hates SWTOR because it's not from NC Soft, where they get most of their MMO revenue, but at the end of the day, we don't even know how SWTOR is doing.  It might be booming or failing, for all we know.  If I had to speculate, I would say somewhere in between.

Were this news actually related to SWTOR, it would be BIOWARE layoffs.....

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

Well it has everything to do with SW:TOR because even EA has claimed that the success or failure of SW:TOR will be the absolute factor in the future of EA. The rise and fall of EAs stock prices are absolutly unarguably directly related to what is happening in SW:TOR. Just pull up a 6 month chart of EA stock prices and compare every drop in stock prices to the day or day after some big blunder with the game. I cannot prove it but I would bet that about 50% of all Ea assets are currently resting on the success or failure of this single game.

You are claiming that they have 70,000 employees but that doesnt mesh with the idea that 1000 employess would be about 11% of the company.

Was just throwing out a number... they probably have closer to 300K-500K employees.  In any case, you are wrong.  Closing down old shit means NOTHING.... absolutely zilch.

Originally posted by bobfish

As I stated, they shut down a bunch of old games a few days ago... it's a direct cause and effect.. unrelated to SWTOR.

I know Kotaku hates SWTOR because it's not from NC Soft, where they get most of their MMO revenue, but at the end of the day, we don't even know how SWTOR is doing.  It might be booming or failing, for all we know.  If I had to speculate, I would say somewhere in between.

Were this news actually related to SWTOR, it would be BIOWARE layoffs.....

What you stated was that EA has 70,000 employees

As I stated EA http://www.ea.com/about says it has 9,000

Pretty much what I get out of this is.. you have no clue what you are talking about.  

*edit*

There are no "BioWare" layoffs after EA fully purchased the company.   All employees working on TOR are part of EA's world wide employee roster... I mean seriously... *.*

Anyway have a nice day.

Souldrainer sigh.....It means everything... You dont understand how a corporation works... They bet everything on a major project and when it fails they have to shut down smaller less "important" but still profitable projects to sidebar thier assets to stay afloat.

In December 2010 EA had just over 10,000 employess and laid off 1100 and shut down 12 studios. You are absolutly insane if you think the company grew 700% in less then 2 years time. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

I really hope this layout focuses on their bloated corrupted marketing, management, and PR departments but I doubt it.  They probaly just get rid of more programmers because of course games not living up to their hype is their fault, not at all over hypeing or poor management choices.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.