Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone help explain my theory...

....to the fans of TOR why the haters just can't let it go.

I tried to put this into words but all I do is create a wall of run on text. I have a theory because TOR has generated such spite from so many people that it must go beyond social degeneration of people loving to hate like TOR's fans claim. I realized why I don't like the game and willing to bet I'm not the only one feeling my way.

I'm posting a picture that I bet most everyone has seen and I ask if anyone else can put into words how it pertains not to the movies but to TOR and the current state of the franchise.

I ask to keep your post constructive and on topic. I really want to know 1st if anyone understands what I'm doing and 2nd to help the fans understand why we don't want to simply shut up or 3rd that I really am simply out of my mind.

Comments

• yumpinyiminiyumpinyimini Member UncommonPosts: 81

The left reveals the wealth of creativity, and care that went into the franchise.  Designs were crafted with the intent of breathing life into the SW universe, and make it seem real.  On the right, a blank slate devoid of any life and utilized to maximize profits..to  speed up the 'manufacturing process'.  

The left reveals a love for the SW universe, the right reveals a cynicism towards the fans..a 'it doesn't matter how we make it, or what we make..they will buy it' way of thinking.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

SWTOR is a MMO with Star Wars skin. There are movies, novels and even the Kinect version, which can be more immersive than this pile of crap called SWTOR.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    To be fair they needed the green screen technology to put life into Hayden Christensen.
  • BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Originally posted by RefMinor

To be fair they needed the green screen technology to put life into Hayden Christensen.

I know I'm breaking my own rule going off topic but...

To be fair, yeah he's no Oscar winner but when you give an actor a bad script and give them no setting to immerse themselves in what else can you expect? Even good scripts like The Godfather, imagine trying to act in that with a green screen.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Bardus

To be fair, yeah he's no Oscar winner but when you give an actor a bad script and give them no setting to immerse themselves in what else can you expect? Even good scripts like The Godfather, imagine trying to act in that with a green screen.

We are so off-topic but good actors are good actors.

Mark Hamill was awesome in the Wing Commander series along with the rest of the cast. Esp the Maniac.

And WC series was mostly green screen.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by jpnz

We are so off-topic but good actors are good actors.

Mark Hamill was awesome in the Wing Commander series along with the rest of the cast. Esp the Maniac.

And WC series was mostly green screen.

You are very right there. But they all were good in WC, if i remember well. There must have been a good director there too.

Amazing game btw, WC.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Try and imagine, not Hayden Christiansen, but Christian Bale in the part. First of all, he would have delivered the lines with real and menacing passion (imagine the fight at the end of Revenge - you would genuinely have believed that Bale would have beaten the shit out of McEwan); secondly, he's confident enough to do what Harrison Ford did in the original Star Wars films, in other words, when he came across clunky dialogue, either improvise better lines or tell George he wasn;t going to spout this shit unless it was written by someone who knew which end of the pencil went on the paper.

Originally posted by noncley

Try and imagine, not Hayden Christiansen, but Christian Bale in the part. First of all, he would have delivered the lines with real and menacing passion (imagine the fight at the end of Revenge - you would genuinely have believed that Bale would have beaten the shit out of McEwan); secondly, he's confident enough to do what Harrison Ford did in the original Star Wars films, in other words, when he came across clunky dialogue, either improvise better lines or tell George he wasn;t going to spout this shit unless it was written by someone who knew which end of the pencil went on the paper.

LOL true

NOW BACK ON TOPIC image please?!?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

LOL true

2nd post ended your thread, nothing left to do but wander around aimlessly.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

LOL true

2nd post ended your thread, nothing left to do but wander around aimlessly.

Think so too and don't see anyone trying to debunk it either.

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

It didn't work.

They also failed to make him appear manlike or convincing in any way. The only part he could be convincing in, is the part of a gay hairstylist from Idaho.

Originally posted by goldiewilson

It didn't work.

They also failed to make him appear manlike or convincing in any way. The only part he could be convincing in, is the part of a gay hairstylist from Idaho.

You posted that just to get a reply offensive to gays didn't you? I so had it typed out and deleted it before I get banned.

You almost qualifed for best troll award but I caught ya...just in time.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Lucas used Jung's archetypes to get those of us who were kids at the time addicted to this saga. The attachment is strong for some of us.

As for people who don't want to hear it, there is no way to explain it. I am actually fascinated by the creative ways they try and process the disappointment of the game.

-Don't play

-Quit whining

-Sandboxes suck (huh?)

-It's a new game (and in the next breath) It's built like this so just deal with it.

-Move on

-You were ignorant

-I like it so ...

-WoW

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

I don't know about you guys like me in my generation (30's 40's and 50's)

but I notice that it's not just MMO's and games. It's Movies and T.V as well. Pretty much everything thats in the entertainment industry is 90% crap now. Why?, because they are all trying to copy off of each other, just like they have been doing in gaming industry for the past decade.

The new Movies, most of them are garbage and have young actors in them who arn't really all that great at acting. Like Video Games they all seem to be copying off one another.

-For instance horror movies and zombies. I think they have over-done the whole gore, zombie thing by now. All the movies are focused on special effects, violence, but have little to no story at all. It just seems to be about eviserating people, killing them, and murdering them. Hell I remember Watching Hellraiser 1, 2 and those were some pretty grusome movies but they also had a good story in them with some lore behind it, and the guy who played pinhead did a good job. The older Horror movies were much better, because there was more of a story to them.

The T.V shows on T.V are crap as well. Most of it is all stupid reality shows which arnt even real to begin with because the people in them are all paid actors. Why or how people can watch this crap, and find it entertaining is beyond me. It's not even real. The News is crap, because it's all negative, and half of it you don't even know if your getting the full story or not. Most of the time your only hearing one side of it. If you sat there and never went out they would be trying to get you believe that the worlds coming to an end, that eating certain vegatables is bad for you and you might get heart disease, or there is a pedophile on every street going after little kids. Or better yet that any ethnic out there who isn't white has 8 wives, beats them, or that every black person is a criminal. No wonder why we still have so much racism, and homophobic people out there. You can thank the Media and family guy for that.

-A perfect example of this is that stupid show nancy Grace.. she has got to be the worst for that. It's rediculas and she like all the others on T.V all make money loads of money off of the ignorant, nieve people who get hyped up and buy into all that media crap. Who can't think for themselves to do their own research. It's pathetic, and sad that people are still living in the stoneages.

-I remember back in the day you could turn on your T.V in the 80's and 90's and find some good quality shows that were funny and relaxing to watch. Now I can't even turn on the T.V anymore without seeing a bunch of stupid rich well off dumb blonde bimbo's getting angry at each other, or men my age into prizefighting on T.V who are trying to act like tuff guys and think going around punching people and beating each other up is cool, and how to be a real man. The only thing I find any good on T.V are a few good old movies, and documentrys, and thats about it.

Most of the young people in my generation now in this generation don't even know what a good movie is, because they were brought up by watching twilight then go out trying to do their hair like a girl with the wave over there face and dying their hair black.

Bram stoker's dracula, interveiw with the vampire. Now those were good movies. not this twilight emo bullshit.

Mind you There were a few good movies I've seen though that were newer. Like the lord of the rings trilogy I liked very much, pirates of the carribean, and the hang over, and that movie called alice in wonderland was good. But other then that all the rest of the new movies I've seen have been all crap.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by yumpinyimini

The left reveals the wealth of creativity, and care that went into the franchise.  Designs were crafted with the intent of breathing life into the SW universe, and make it seem real.  On the right, a blank slate devoid of any life and utilized to maximize profits..to  speed up the 'manufacturing process'.  

The left reveals a love for the SW universe, the right reveals a cynicism towards the fans..a 'it doesn't matter how we make it, or what we make..they will buy it' way of thinking.

Thing is that's the way of hollywood today. To me the picture says the exact opposite about TOR in that they could have gone the run of the mill easy way to tell a story, text boxes, as that's the true lazy route to take in regard to implementing story into an MMO. Not handcrafting 100's if not 1000's of scenes.

If you remove that aspect of TOR, what are you left with? Something far worse than the prequels IMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

The theory why TOR haters can't let it go is simpler than the (great) picture you posted, OP :

It's just because these people don't have anything more important in their life to think about.

This is not meant to be an offense, but really, isn't it true ? There are plenty of other futuristic universes, using the same master/disciple/powerup/rebellion formula, but yet people are still obsessed with Star Wars. No, please don't say that it's a proof that Star Wars is superior, it's not, it's just an unrealistic hype that long time fans have created, and nurrished from its own existence. People are wanting so hard to be that Luke Skywalker/Darth Vader/Kenobi that they can't stop believing they're in another world. They created their own little parallel universe and refuse to look anywhere else.

Which is sad btw, as Star Wars worshipping has always revolved around 5 hours of acting and special effects (as everything that followed up was derived from these very 3 movies). 5 goddamn hours .... Do you realize ? So many angry/fanatic people, conventions, comics, books ... just repeating 5 damn hours again and again for 20 years. 

To resume, they are trapped in their imaginary world, just like this guy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIv88cC86r0

The horse is fracking dead. They really should let it go and open their eyes to either another universe, or better, to the real world, which does have some really, really more serious problems actually to bitch about.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

Originally posted by trash656

but I notice that it's not just MMO's and games. It's Movies and T.V as well. Pretty much everything thats in the entertainment industry is 90% crap now. Why?, because they are all trying to copy off of each other, just like they have been doing in gaming industry for the past decade.

The new Movies, most of them are garbage and have young actors in them who arn't really all that great at acting. Like Video Games they all seem to be copying off one another.

-For instance horror movies and zombies. I think they have over-done the whole gore, zombie thing by now. All the movies are focused on special effects, violence, but have little to no story at all. It just seems to be about eviserating people, killing them, and murdering them. Hell I remember Watching Hellraiser 1, 2 and those were some pretty grusome movies but they also had a good story in them with some lore behind it, and the guy who played pinhead did a good job. The older Horror movies were much better, because there was more of a story to them.

The T.V shows on T.V are crap as well. Most of it is all stupid reality shows which arnt even real to begin with because the people in them are all paid actors. Why or how people can watch this crap, and find it entertaining is beyond me. It's not even real. The News is crap, because it's all negative, and half of it you don't even know if your getting the full story or not. Most of the time your only hearing one side of it. If you sat there and never went out they would be trying to get you believe that the worlds coming to an end, that eating certain vegatables is bad for you and you might get heart disease, or there is a pedophile on every street going after little kids. Or better yet that any ethnic out there who isn't white has 8 wives, beats them, or that every black person is a criminal. No wonder why we still have so much racism, and homophobic people out there. You can thank the Media and family guy for that.

-A perfect example of this is that stupid show nancy Grace.. she has got to be the worst for that. It's rediculas and she like all the others on T.V all make money loads of money off of the ignorant, nieve people who get hyped up and buy into all that media crap. Who can't think for themselves to do their own research. It's pathetic, and sad that people are still living in the stoneages.

-I remember back in the day you could turn on your T.V in the 80's and 90's and find some good quality shows that were funny and relaxing to watch. Now I can't even turn on the T.V anymore without seeing a bunch of stupid rich well off dumb blonde bimbo's getting angry at each other, or men my age into prizefighting on T.V who are trying to act like tuff guys and think going around punching people and beating each other up is cool, and how to be a real man. The only thing I find any good on T.V are a few good old movies, and documentrys, and thats about it.

Most of the young people in my generation now in this generation don't even know what a good movie is, because they were brought up by watching twilight then go out trying to do their hair like a girl with the wave over there face and dying their hair black.

Bram stoker's dracula, interveiw with the vampire. Now those were good movies. not this twilight emo bullshit.

Mind you There were a few good movies I've seen though that were newer. Like the lord of the rings trilogy I liked very much, pirates of the carribean, and the hang over, and that movie called alice in wonderland was good. But other then that all the rest of the new movies I've seen have been all crap.

Dude, yeah exactly!! 100 and upteen percent with you on all that.

Thanks and now I can feel a little better for only watching TVLand, Turner classic and documentery channels. Glad someone else is with me on all that cause I thought I was just getting old.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by trash656

Here's a pin now burst that nostalgia bubble you really need to as you will not be happy and suddenly you'll be lying on your deathbed wondering what the fuck happened to your life. There is tons upon tons of great stuff happening in the modern world just becuase you are too cynical to see it or find it doesn't make it not exist.. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

I tried to put this into words but all I do is create a wall of run on text. I have a theory because TOR has generated such spite from so many people that it must go beyond social degeneration of people loving to hate like TOR's fans claim. I realized why I don't like the game and willing to bet I'm not the only one feeling my way.

I'm posting a picture that I bet most everyone has seen and I ask if anyone else can put into words how it pertains not to the movies but to TOR and the current state of the franchise.

I ask to keep your post constructive and on topic. I really want to know 1st if anyone understands what I'm doing and 2nd to help the fans understand why we don't want to simply shut up or 3rd that I really am simply out of my mind.

Two things..

1: How do you think Actors learn how to act? they do not go to R.A.D.A and have access to all the stuff in the first picture they act in empty spaces either on their own of in groups with nothing more than their imagination. Also most stage plays have very little production in them with regards to props and scenery but put on amazingly believable performances without the need to surround themselves with all the stuff in the first picture.

2: Guys, Star Wars was a kids film in 1977 and was still a kids film in 2005 but you are no longer a kid so see it with adult eyes and in the case of most Star Wars fans cynical eyes. All I can say is when the generation that was first exposed to the modern prequels grow up they'll be bemoaning the same thing as youylot of grumpy old men.  Just get over it, things chance thats a fact of life.  

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by k-damage

The theory why TOR haters can't let it go is simpler than the (great) picture you posted, OP :

It's just because these people don't have anything more important in their life to think about.

This is not meant to be an offense, but really, isn't it true ? There are plenty of other futuristic universes, using the same master/disciple/powerup/rebellion formula, but yet people are still obsessed with Star Wars. No, please don't say that it's a proof that Star Wars is superior, it's not, it's just an unrealistic hype that long time fans have created, and nurrished from its own existence. People are wanting so hard to be that Luke Skywalker/Darth Vader/Kenobi that they can't stop believing they're in another world. They created their own little parallel universe and refuse to look anywhere else.

Which is sad btw, as Star Wars worshipping has always revolved around 5 hours of acting and special effects (as everything that followed up was derived from these very 3 movies). 5 goddamn hours .... Do you realize ? So many angry/fanatic people, conventions, comics, books ... just repeating 5 damn hours again and again for 20 years. 

To resume, they are trapped in their imaginary world, just like this guy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIv88cC86r0

The horse is fracking dead. They really should let it go and open their eyes to either another universe, or better, to the real world, which does have some really, really more serious problems actually to bitch about.

Great post, the amount of Star Wars fans living in a freaking childhood dream world is amazing the original films are not even that good comapared to a lot of film that were produced in the 70's and 80's. I never will understand the fanaticism people have for shoddy entertainment and I watched Star Wars in the cinema in 1977 but find it really not a good film compared to 100's of others, George Lucas is not a great director. The Indian Jones films blow the Star Wars films into the weeds for quality and thats just for starters.

Originally posted by Calerxes

Two things..

1: How do you think Actors learn how to act? they do not go to R.A.D.A and have access to all the stuff in the first picture they act in empty spaces either on their own of in groups with nothing more than their imagination. Also most stage plays have very little production in them with regards to props and scenery but put on amazingly believable performances without the need to surround themselves with all the stuff in the first picture.

2: Guys, Star Wars was a kids film in 1977 and was still a kids film in 2005 but you are no longer a kid so see it with adult eyes and in the case of most Star Wars fans cynical eyes. All I can say is when the generation that was first exposed to the modern prequels grow up they'll be bemoaning the same thing as youylot of grumpy old men.  Just get over it, things chance thats a fact of life.  

So it's times change and we all need to change too? I wouldn't expect that from a guy with "disco will never die" in his avatar.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Very excellent tirade on the whole Star Wars films phenomenon. The same logic applies to any entertainment medium you care to apply it to. Most recently MMOs.

>CLICKY<

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Calerxes

Great post, the amount of Star Wars fans living in a freaking childhood dream world is amazing the original films are not even that good comapared to a lot of film that were produced in the 70's and 80's. I never will understand the fanaticism people have for shoddy entertainment and I watched Star Wars in the cinema in 1977 but find it really not a good film compared to 100's of others, George Lucas is not a great director. The Indian Jones films blow the Star Wars films into the weeds for quality and thats just for starters.

I've got to step in here.. While you're right that some of these fan reactions can get a bit over the top. Star Wars was great to many for one reason, characters. While some performances were campy, (luke, Leia) some were very memorable. Much like Firefly IMO.

There was a level of serious talent portrayed in the original trilogy that was missing in the prequels. Namely actors the caliber of Peter Cushing, Alec Guiness, Harrison Ford, David Prowse/J.E. Jones, Henson/OZ. Even with medicore directing, these actors and their performance demanded your attention when they were on screen. Couple that with the exotic nature of the OG's you have the makings for a lasting franchise sure to gain the attention of many fans.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Yes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with loving Star Wars universe indeed. I was only speaking about people who don't like what it became and can't let it go :)

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Well the would-be life coaches are here to give an elementary lesson on developmentally appropriate enthusiasms. Great.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011