Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1.2 Was the final straw

calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Anyone who reads my post history will see I was very much a fan and supporter of SWTOR, I am a casual player and like a lot spend 80% of my time in the game solo.

I still love the story in SWTOR no regret of any time I spent in that.

From level 1-49 you are lead by the hand through story after story, your companion at your side, does not matter if it was cheesy in parts it was a journey and I loved it.

My char hit 50 and at first I thought wow look at all these extra missions coming up but then I realised some things.

Level 50 is not companion or solo friendly. yes you can do the daily missions but that amounts to just repeatable grind, all the flashpoints all the ops and fun stuff is full group friendly and you may say its an mmo that is the point, I have spent months roleplaying in an mmo socializing that to me is what an mmo is about. So at level 50 you run smack into a wall which these companions you have spent 49 levels partnering with are now defunct and the end game is a generic end game with regurgitated content.

So my play time reduced, started playing more EVE and Dungeon defenders (dungeon defenders with all its content and dlc has more inovative gameplay than most mmo).

1.2 hits and I realise my fun has decreased but my grind increased.

My lovely scorcerer dies so often now it is really not funny, my merc healer spec has trouble even keeping himself alive.

But even worse is the following two issues

The game is being balanced for the top 5% pvpers, skills are being nerfed and changed based on those few who are beating the game and what is worse is that because same skills are used in pvp as pve it is affecting everyone.

Time sink, at launch a basic piece of pvp equipment gained through pvp rewards cost 150 comendations after incrimental increases we are now standing at 600-800, same goes for credits huge amounts of credit sinks have been introduced to the game.

I do not know about you but I am not a hardcore pvper in Swtor, or a super rich person and by the time I reached 50 and bought all my skills my bank account was down to 100k.

On average I have realised that to play this game as they wish me too I will have to grind hours and hours a week to gain anything before the next price hike.

So I am going to finish the bounty hunter storyline with my wife (we are both 42) and I will finish watching and experiencing her storyline and then we will both leave and go to TSW.

A 2012 mmo should not be balancing the entire game towards the top percentage all it does is hurt the casual players.

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Its "balanced" that way because some of their classes have skills that really dont make sense so if you have right class composition ANY PvE is trivial. YOu dont really need healing where tank/dps are immune to damage.

And yes, they decided to "balance" around PvE without any consideration to PvP, so PvP is screwed.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Originally posted by mikahr

Its "balanced" that way because some of their classes have skills that really dont make sense so if you have right class composition ANY PvE is trivial. YOu dont really need healing where tank/dps are immune to damage.

And yes, they decided to "balance" around PvE without any consideration to PvP, so PvP is screwed.

Hmm lets see, healing and dps skills nerfed due to whining about scorcerer in pvp, Merc healing nerfed due to overpowered use in pvp.

At level 50 with a madness hybrid (had to respec from pure lightning dps due to the nerfs that have effected that dps tree) my companion is not in top teir gear or me, I am a casual player and thus my pve enjoyment has been nerfed, one strong and 2 normal adds can now kick my but or drop me close to death, I am coming out of my daily missions and half my gained money is now going to repairs.

Do not comment on things you know nothing about, I am talking about casual solo play end game that this game always promised to be friendly too.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I agree fully with the OP. The nerf to healing was the dumbest change they could have done. This shows me that they are utterly clueless because no one will now play a healer when you cant even keep yourself alive, forget about keeping others alive. My Guardian tank had trouble stayling alive pre 1.2, how will it be now with DPS boost and healing nerf?!

It never cease to amaze me how out of touch some MMORPG devs are. Ah well, TERA is two weeks away and I heard the PvP, altough lacking in content, is still pretty fun.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Originally posted by calranthe

Hmm lets see, healing and dps skills nerfed due to whining about scorcerer in pvp, Merc healing nerfed due to overpowered use in pvp.

At level 50 with a madness hybrid (had to respec from pure lightning dps due to the nerfs that have effected that dps tree) my companion is not in top teir gear or me, I am a casual player and thus my pve enjoyment has been nerfed, one strong and 2 normal adds can now kick my but or drop me close to death, I am coming out of my daily missions and half my gained money is now going to repairs.

Do not comment on things you know nothing about, I am talking about casual solo play end game that this game always promised to be friendly too.

so what you're actually saying is a game should suck because you like it to? you should learn to play and physically will yourself to forget whatever made you think you are in any way shape or form right cause you're not. An MMO should be casual up until a point, if you want to solo endgame content no and I do mean no MMO will truly cater to that ( I find it particularly amusing you mentioned you also play EVE, I hope you're not one of the ones crying cause drone poo is being taken out ).

And lets not forget the stupid and idiotic idea of rewarding level 50 players with 30 days free, while I get 30 days free my wife who has yet to get a char to 50 but has paid and played since early start in december like me shows a company nolonger interested in our custom.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

If you really believe that a few cynics whinging on forums such as this one change the way a game is tweeked and balanced then you really are a lost cause. And my main is a Sith Sorc and I like the added difficulty so its not all a lost cause for me anyway, though I do hope you enjoy whatever you plan to do next.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Dihoru

so what you're actually saying is a game should suck because you like it to? you should learn to play and physically will yourself to forget whatever made you think you are in any way shape or form right cause you're not. An MMO should be casual up until a point, if you want to solo endgame content no and I do mean no MMO will truly cater to that ( I find it particularly amusing you mentioned you also play EVE, I hope you're not one of the ones crying cause drone poo is being taken out ).

What I am saying is the knee jerk reaction of the devs in nerfing instead of finding another way and the total seperation of level 50 gameplay from companions sucks. SWTOR is my casual game or was with my wife, I tried the pvp and find it laughable especially compared to eve.

As for EVE I believe most of the changes if not all that came in crucible and are scheduled for inferno will benefit eve, you really should have checked my sig before commenting on eve but just incase you missed the memo.

http://eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=12156

I have been playing for about 7 years and am a pure pvper, I love everything about pvp from a pos shoot to small gang warfare.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

And lets not forget the stupid and idiotic idea of rewarding level 50 players with 30 days free, while I get 30 days free my wife who has yet to get a char to 50 but has paid and played since early start in december like me shows a company nolonger interested in our custom.

They've extended it to anyone with Legacy level 6 as well, but sadly I have characters on two servers and only have Legacy level 1 (altitice and have only played 230 hours since luanch) so I'm not included to, but I've had had my little cry about not being loved by Bioware and have accepted it, actually I lie it doesn't really bother me at all who gets what I'm not entitled to anything really, lifes a bitch EH?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Yes, game is a bitch and then you move on, I am just venting, the problem is if you post a thread like this on the SWTOR forum it gets locked.

Actually Anarchy online has a very good solo or small group and casual max level options.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Healing nerfs were PURELY because of PvE.

And if you, sorcerer, cannot kill 1 elite+2 strong, youre doing it WRONG lol.

Basically, if you cant solo Ilum 2HC daily, you, plainly, suck.

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

LOL

Is that you Darkpony? ... posting on shill account?

Single player game with tacked on multiplay and carrot chasing gear for end-game and unbalanced pvp that is ruining pve.

Just have to love SWToR!

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

swtor isnt that good i agree, but you are leaving to TSW??

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

I stopped playing TOR a month ago when I saw the direction it  was heading in, the last major update before 1.2 added a new raid and flashpoints. Nothing for the soloer or duo players and than 1.2 drops with the same shit, reminds me of WoW cater to the raiders and big guilds the little guys can screw off. Funny thing is that this way of thinking is actually hurting mmos, couple that with the fact when you try to run the group content you can't find anybody to do it, because everyone is off doing their own thing. Grouping in mmos are starting to turn people off due to the immaturity that has run rampant since the inception of WoW, i miss the days of open world caves and dungeon that anyone could go into and meet and team up with other players. The fun of running across a group of people taking on an outdoor world boss and getting invited into the group. All this instance shit has killed all the fun an excitement of the genre. Yeah TOR left a bad taste in my mouth as well, a lot of promises where made but none of them kept. Kinda like the whole Mass Effect 3 fiasco.

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

sw:tor, like many other games in the last 7 years build after the themepark concept, which world of warcraft and everquest established, do have a big lack in endgame content. especially for those people who don't see any sense in gear grinding and/or meaningless competition with other players. and even the casual players, who are the main target group for this themepark playstyle, are beginning to complain about it. and throwing in some new group- or raidcontent every 2 month isn't helping because its still stupid gear grinding. 

biowares focus for sw:tor was the pve content, the story. and they did a nice job. then they put pvp as feature on top on their pve build and things went messy. too many skills which causes imbalance and made pvp in sw:tor a pain in the ass. in my opinion they should have stayed with a pure pve game with some of the old star wars galaxies features to guarantee a long term motivation for players to stay. and if you want pvp as feature make it independent. only a small easy to balance basis amount of skills that are only working on a huge pvp only planet, which is divided in sectors and every sector can be conquered and gives special boni ....

well, i drifted off topic, sorry for that. sw:tor does have the same problem like a lot of others mmogs nowadays: after a short time (1-3 months) most of players and even the casual ones (with an average 2 hrs playtime a day) are done with the content and are looking for the next game.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

What I am saying is the knee jerk reaction of the devs in nerfing instead of finding another way and the total seperation of level 50 gameplay from companions sucks. SWTOR is my casual game or was with my wife, I tried the pvp and find it laughable especially compared to eve.

As for EVE I believe most of the changes if not all that came in crucible and are scheduled for inferno will benefit eve, you really should have checked my sig before commenting on eve but just incase you missed the memo.

http://eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=12156

I have been playing for about 7 years and am a pure pvper, I love everything about pvp from a pos shoot to small gang warfare.

feb 06 + 7= feb 13, also shows in your lack of overview, shooting ruskies and being proud of it is like shooting fish in a cup and then being proud of it, sure it takes some minimal skill but damn dude do you ever qualify as a KB-knight if you feel the need to link it so badly.

Back on topic: If you want solo content you have the entire Elder Scroll series of games to choose from as well as many, many, many mods that alter various games giving you near infinit choices when it comes to where to go but you also stated you have a wife who plays the game, SWtOR with you ( lucky bastard ) with you so I hardly see where the issue may be with the lack of solo content at level 50 and the lack of concern for the solo player because unlike most people who play MMOs you can go to the kitchen and get someone to help you with your quests.

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 507

"sw:tor, like many other games in the last 7 years build after the themepark concept, which world of warcraft and everquest established,  """

EQ was not a theme park game, the game had very few quests.( It may have a few now)

First game I remember having towns/areas with quests, where you did them all then moved to the next town was DAoC.

Godz of War I call Thee

feb 06 + 7= feb 13, also shows in your lack of overview, shooting ruskies and being proud of it is like shooting fish in a cup and then being proud of it, sure it takes some minimal skill but damn dude do you ever qualify as a KB-knight if you feel the need to link it so badly.

Back on topic: If you want solo content you have the entire Elder Scroll series of games to choose from as well as many, many, many mods that alter various games giving you near infinit choices when it comes to where to go but you also stated you have a wife who plays the game, SWtOR with you ( lucky bastard ) with you so I hardly see where the issue may be with the lack of solo content at level 50 and the lack of concern for the solo player because unlike most people who play MMOs you can go to the kitchen and get someone to help you with your quests.

Quebber is not my original char in EVE you know what they say about assuming things, I bought Quebber in 2010, I used to run four pvp accounts each character was pure one race, decided to sell them all and buy one (via the legal ccp forums) that could do all I wanted, sadly as is the case in EVE I have still ended up with four active accounts pvp, scout, capital pilot and cyno (continued to train my cyno alt and now he has 42m sp pure minmatar lol).

My linking my kb was simply because you assumed certain things.

I will fight anyone including russians.

Last night we got into an amazing fight our FC managed to contact an enemy FC with a fleet of comparable size 60+ I believe and we just ended up slugging it out on a gate for half an hour definetly good fights.

Back on topic

Yes I have a wife I am her primary carer (she is disabled and very slowly dying from an incurable form of cancer) we can still do things together and the pc is a great outlet, but she has a lot more down days than she used to, she does not play eve anymore because she does not want to be in a situation people depend on her or she is out on a fleet and has to log off instantly, so yes I solo sometimes and when she is up to playing we go around together.

I do all the cooking, cleaning she rarely has to go to the kitchen.

I am not averse to group play and MMO does not mean forced group content, you can be in a mmo be social and enjoy the time with people and guilds but forced to group for certain content is not the solution.