Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers and overflow servers GW2

dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Does anyone know how many servers GW2 will have?

I was reading about "overflow" servers that GW2 will have.  Say your favorite server is busy and rather entering into a waiting list, you will be asked if you want to play your character(not start a new one) on a different server.  You accept and play on the other server until your favorite server is ready. The game will then ask you if you want to play on your favorite server with your friends. You accept and your character moves to your favorite server.

Pretty cool concept!

Comments

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

Yeah, it soounds pretty neat. I think they should release more info on the servers though.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by drel

I was reading about "overflow" servers that GW2 will have.  Say your favorite server is busy and rather entering into a waiting list, you will be asked if you want to play your character(not start a new one) on a different server.  You accept and play on the other server until your favorite server is ready. The game will then ask you if you want to play on your favorite server with your friends. You accept and your character moves to your favorite server.

Pretty cool concept!

Just one of many in a long line of innovative features GW2 is using.  Innovation is a huge reason why it has the hype it does.  Players are tired of WoW clone# 724.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Also, everything you do and everything you gain is kept when you go "back" to your home server. So you lose nothing!

• muttleymuttley Member UncommonPosts: 17

you try to switch to the fav and now it is busy again because others are switching back to it also[will it be a mass invite back or or in queue?]. and it is another excuse for people in a group to say see ya cuz my server is open and i don't care cuz i'll never  see you people again.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by muttley

you try to switch to the fav and now it is busy again because others are switching back to it also[will it be a mass invite back or or in queue?]. and it is another excuse for people in a group to say see ya cuz my server is open and i don't care cuz i'll never  see you people again.

So, you would rather be locked out, like in WoW?

Or, you want to ignore the queue, get as many people as you can onto one server, so it can crash?

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

That's one of the many unique things about GW2 is that there is no queue!  And as was explained what your character obtains in the non-favorite server as to articles, clothes, weapons, etc., you get to keep when you move back to your favorite server.

The game will switch you to your favorite server after having asked if you want to switch, you don't have to do it yourself.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I feel your pain, other MMOs can really suck when someone leaves the group. But because there is no dependance on "role" and the combat scales, when thta person leaves its no biggy. 

We don't know how dungeons work yet

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Not to change the subject but it's along the OPs lines, but didn't I read that you could switch servers and play with a friend on their server temporarily?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Overflow does not only happen when servers are full, but also whem zones are full

The number of servers will depend on the number of pre purchases and divideble by 3. eU and US will have localised servers

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by Amjoco

Not to change the subject but it's along the OPs lines, but didn't I read that you could switch servers and play with a friend on their server temporarily?

Yes, it seems you are only bound to your 'home' server for the WvWvW stuff I believe.

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

Yes for WvWvW purposes, you can only have one homeworld server which your account is locked to (until they charge you to change it)

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

The real trick is making sure you get locked to the same home server as your friends.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

You make no sense to me?

So you rather be locked out watching some screen untill you can enter then get a choice of playing right away on waiting server while in que and dont lose any progress you had on waiting server?

Its a million times better this system that Arenanet introduced then all mmo's have right now.

• Kyuz0oKyuz0o Member Posts: 80

There`s no patch for being a jerk.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by drel

Pretty cool concept!

It's the same concept like in GW 1 with the difference that in GW1 you aren't asked if you wanna go back to the channel you were trying to enter at first.

If you try to go into a district(server that looks like a channel) that is full already, you get the message that it's full and that you should select a other one.

You select a other District, you tell your friends in which one you are and they jump into it immediately by switching "channels" no matter if they were in a international, us or eu one before. :)

Was hoping this system will remain and I'm VERY happy to read that they indeed kept it in the same or a slightly modified form!

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

You make no sense to me?

So you rather be locked out watching some screen untill you can enter then get a choice of playing right away on waiting server while in que and dont lose any progress you had on waiting server?

Its a million times better this system that Arenanet introduced then all mmo's have right now.

It's the same thing as Age of Conan has had since 2008...