Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so much hate? I feel like this game has potential.

CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194

I know the first ten or twenty levels can be repetitive or boring.. And I know questing is a grind.

But if you put that aside, I feel like the game has so much potential, it's brought back open world pvp(Yes, I know channels can get in the way) and it's brought a unique, skill based combat system to an MMO, so even if you're fighting someone with better armour, if you have more skill, you're gonna beat him.

even the dungeons are fun, healing is a blast! Yet to try tanking.

Comments

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

To be honest, I'm just gonna be happy to be trying something different for once.  You'll all have your own opinions on 'how' different it is from other MMOs, but it certainly doesn't look like WoW, Rift, etc therefore it'll do me very nicely until GW2 and perhaps longer.

Yes many core mechanics may be the same as other games such as WoW etc, but it's an entirely new World for people to explore with a new take on fighting, which I'm happy to pay for.  I know I'll get a month at least out of it anyway.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

It's a step in the right direction in some cases but the core is still the same ol' tired stuff. I highly doubt it will hold most peoples interest for longer than a few months and we have enough of those games allready. It wont flop, but its not going to be the game thats going to fix the current state of MMO's either.

• AilingforaleAilingforale Member Posts: 87

True with it use'n the same mechanics, but I agree to the potential this game has.  I am excited for this game to be completely available in the US.  On the note that it won't really change the mmo genre I say "meh".  There isn't really anything that I think will change the genre this year with all the different titles and ideas.  They are all making nifty changes, but all of them kind of fall short or completely grabbing my fanboi status.  TERA just seems to be the most fun thing to me and I've got a few buds willing to try it out (only title we can agree on), and in all honesty, playing with friends makes almost every game better.  Almost...

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

We're in a lull right now. Sick of what's out there, and the promising titles have yet to arrive. In other words, people are bored. And not like this forum isn't sour about everything on its good days.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

Why so much hate? People have this idyllic image of the MMO they want to play, that every other new title that does not fit into that paradise, immediately gets spurned.

The thing is, there have been MMOs that have tried to push the envelope, but once people got their paws on them they rejected them. 

So what is it people really want?

There are so many other new titles but they don't get the attention that TERA gets. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

L2P TERA combat:

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Himemiya
    Why so much hate? People have this idyllic image of the MMO they want to play, that every other new title that does not fit into that paradise, immediately gets spurned.
    The thing is, there have been MMOs that have tried to push the envelope, but once people got their paws on them they rejected them. 
    So what is it people really want?
    There are so many other new titles but they don't get the attention that TERA gets. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

what? darkfalllol?

everything is a wow clone which is an eq clone essentially .. with some minor spin. zone quests here .. voice overs there .. but underneath a usually broken new mechanic is the exact same game we have been playing for 12 years. and more often than not, it's unfinished by any sane person's standards. these new combat systems are a step in the right direction, but this game wont hold my attention for long I dont think. will be fun for a while tho.

hopefully gw2 will actually be innovative past the surface .. though I doubt it.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194

I know the game isn't that special and it isn't gonna change MMO's forever.

But isn't it special and fun enough to sustain a nice little amount of players?

The UI is also amazing!

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Every MMO nowdays gets a lot of hate and hype of varying degrees.

The most important thing is to know what your buying/looking at and form you own opinions. Other's opinions are sometimes good to read but don't let it stop you from forming your own.

I played Tera though beta and know exactly what to expect. I think it's a fun game with a really cool combat system, some really fun but limited PvP features, boring questing, good graphics, and I think it will hold my attention for at least a couple of months (hopefully more as they add more features in).

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

I know the game isn't that special and it isn't gonna change MMO's forever.

But isn't it special and fun enough to sustain a nice little amount of players?

The UI is also amazing!

Amazing UIs is why I play video games. Forget gameplay, sexy UIs are what it's all about.

I don't like the art style choice.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TommayTommay Member Posts: 24

It's not GW2, there's the problem. People on this site think every over game is a WoW clone if it's not GW2

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

Tera is pretty good. The quests might have been a bit better and perhaps the PvP tweaked a bit and it would be great.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

The issue is two fold.

First, there are just going to be people who can't buy into a very stylistic game and one that is stylistic in this way.

Secondly, it's a forest from the trees sort of thing. People  who try the game are going to point out specific game play items such as the horrble quests or that there are channels for certain areas or that we don't even know how this "end game" political system will actually play out.

But for some, myself included, all these things are incidental. I have a large open world (and no, I don't care about the whole channel thing) huge monsters to fight and a very exciting pvp system (which granted, some will hate but I see it as an alternative pvp method that for some can add an excitement to the game), a great art design and a combat system that I love.

I feel like I'm in a less intense Lineage 2 at times. Espeically with the economy. Add that I never have to look at my keyboard or hotbar and combat feels very immediate, and this game has all that I need.

As long as they keep content coming at a reasonable rate, I'm home.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I think most of it is due to some inflammatory fans of GW2, TERA, Archage and TSW posting on the other games threads, which in turn causes counter-flaming.

None of those games are worth hatred, they might not be someones cup of tea, but its a good thing all are coming out soon to give a nice selection for everyone.

For me, I like the visuals of TERA, but I find the gameplay to be lacking. I am a bit bored of the generic questing and grinding. To me it just seemed like a reskinned WoW with action combat that is inferior to some of the F2P dungeon grinders out there like Vindictus, C9 or RaiderZ.

It has its niche, but you need to appreciate that it isnt going to be for everyone. Making posts like 'why doesnt everyone love this game like me?' is just a bit silly, since there will always be people who disagree.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

I don't see any hate... People are just too sensitive.

• AndurinAndurin Member UncommonPosts: 125

I feel the sameway but I've felt that way about a lot of games.  Most recently it was SWTOR but this game does feel a bit different than other games that have jaded me in the past. 

• WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402

Originally posted by evilastro

To me it just seemed like a reskinned WoW with action combat that is inferior to some of the F2P dungeon grinders out there like Vindictus, C9 or RaiderZ.

Yeah this is just not really true at all. The action combat in TERA is different. it's in an expansive unzoned world and is made for larger battles (not massive yet, but wait a year or two). The animations lack the flash of Vindictus or C9 because those are single-player games with online modes (basically). RaiderZ has impressive potential but it's combat is clunky (broken collision) and an almost direct copy of TERA. Look at the 2H greatsword's animations in comparison with TERA. But it's not made for a large world. I would say it's closest in comparison to TERA for what it's trying to achieve, but just a little worse as of now. Also, the dodging mechanics lack variation and are insubstantial.

But overall, the polish on TERA just speaks volumes of how much quality the developers are going to put into it down the road. I mean look at the physics on the clothes, the hair, the detail of the armor that looks like it's actually worn and not painted on. The aesthetic effort is conveyed through every aspect of this game and makes it truly a piece of art. Not to mention the optimization and fun value of the game. The BAMs feel dangerous and nothing in Vindictus, C9, or RaiderZ ever made me feel in danger. The ambience of those world's just isn't there. Maybe if you don't have a keen eye for quality or the immersiveness of games like EQ and Lineage 2 and Asheron's Call. All are from different eras and calibers of graphics, but all captured a world complete within itself. No other game coming out can touch that right now. Even GW2 is heavily zoned and feels very much like a game and less like a world. Just my .02.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

I know the first ten or twenty levels can be repetitive or boring.. And I know questing is a grind.

But if you put that aside, I feel like the game has so much potential, it's brought back open world pvp(Yes, I know channels can get in the way) and it's brought a unique, skill based combat system to an MMO, so even if you're fighting someone with better armour, if you have more skill, you're gonna beat him.

even the dungeons are fun, healing is a blast! Yet to try tanking.

To be honest, I haven't seen much hate against TERA. I've seen more hate coming from fans of the game.

That said, I don't think TERA is a bad game, but I do think people are misrepresenting / overrating it in a few areas where it's not warranted.

For example, you talk about combat being skill based 'even if you're fighting someone w/ better armor, if you have more skills, you're gonna beat him'. That isn't entirely true. If you guys are pretty close in lvl / gear, then yes you have a good chance to beat him. However, even if that player is 10 ranks higher or more, there's a good chance you're going to get 1-2 shotted (depending on class). So while weapons / armor don't make as much an advantage as they did in Aion for example, they still give a pretty significant advantage, not to mention lvls make a HUGE advantage.

It's still a fun game though, and they do a good job of taking the combat you only see in games like Vindictus and bringing it to an open world MMO.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by aesperus

To be honest, I haven't seen much hate against TERA. I've seen more hate coming from fans of the game.

That said, I don't think TERA is a bad game, but I do think people are misrepresenting / overrating it in a few areas where it's not warranted.

For example, you talk about combat being skill based 'even if you're fighting someone w/ better armor, if you have more skills, you're gonna beat him'. That isn't entirely true. If you guys are pretty close in lvl / gear, then yes you have a good chance to beat him. However, even if that player is 10 ranks higher or more, there's a good chance you're going to get 1-2 shotted (depending on class). So while weapons / armor don't make as much an advantage as they did in Aion for example, they still give a pretty significant advantage, not to mention lvls make a HUGE advantage.

It's still a fun game though, and they do a good job of taking the combat you only see in games like Vindictus and bringing it to an open world MMO.

There is a werid lvl scaling in Tera where if your like 2 lvl apart you might as well forget fighting them. Its werid scaling thats for PvE but some how is in pvp as well. We have asked them to fix it, however with the lvling speed of Tera hitting cap isn't really an issue so its not as big as it would be like in Aion where lvling up is much slower.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Tommay

It's not GW2, there's the problem. People on this site think every over game is a WoW clone if it's not GW2

I'm a big GW2 fan, but I would never say Tera is a WoW clone.  SWTOR, yes, but not Tera.  But "hate"?  Please.... I'd have to have strong feelings one way or another for that kind of emotion, and I just felt meh.  Others are more than welcome to get a kick out of it for the foreseeable future since it's not a BAD game either.