Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you miss a General Chat channel? - POLL

Comments

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Nope. I always turn off all the public channels in every MMO I play anyway. Got better things to do than read the QQ, spam, whining, WoW talk, lazy people's questions and trolls.  Over last several years of online play I have not seen any meaningful/community building conversation on general chats. None. 

I have friendlist, party and guild chat for interaction. 

• N1njaPwnStarN1njaPwnStar Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Nailzzz

I have to agree with dark pony on this one. I dont see the point in removing something that adds to the sense of community for some, while others whom dont care for it can simply choose to turn it off.

The ability to turn it off doesn't work. Global chat kills socializing people shout in global to sale there wares, find groups, look for guilds, spam there gold selling sites, troll, etc. Without it players are forced to do these things in central locations, which allows the community to form.

Sure with global someone can turn it off and attempt the above, but it won't work out the same. The hubs for trade, interaction and etc. won't be deemed a neccessity by many especially the newer players that haven't experienced an MMO without global chat. This forces everyone to open up global whenever they need something.

There is a point in removing it all together as allowing some to turn it off if they so choose simply doesn't work.

100% agree.

Vesper/bucs den ftw

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

It is the whole "Guild Wars 2 shouldn't have any official forum since they are just abused and used for trolling" all over again. Don't know the outcome this time around though.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Originally posted by AxesSWTOR

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Nailzzz

I have to agree with dark pony on this one. I dont see the point in removing something that adds to the sense of community for some, while others whom dont care for it can simply choose to turn it off.

The ability to turn it off doesn't work. Global chat kills socializing people shout in global to sale there wares, find groups, look for guilds, spam there gold selling sites, troll, etc. Without it players are forced to do these things in central locations, which allows the community to form.

Sure with global someone can turn it off and attempt the above, but it won't work out the same. The hubs for trade, interaction and etc. won't be deemed a neccessity by many especially the newer players that haven't experienced an MMO without global chat. This forces everyone to open up global whenever they need something.

There is a point in removing it all together as allowing some to turn it off if they so choose simply doesn't work.

100% agree.

Vesper/bucs den ftw

How is having the spam moved from a global chat to central locations, a better solution? It is just an unnecessary timesink created, is it not?

Edit: Where is Axehilt and his hatred for all timesinks, when you need him?

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Vortigon

I think the decision not to have any kind of global or general chat is wrong.

Fair enough their are trolls abound in general chat sometimes, but it's also an important part of online gaming to interact with people, and I have had some great laughs in general chat and I would miss not having it.

The local chat in GW2 is only a small area around your character so how do you interact and ask for assistance outside your immediate area?

So would like to see GW2 change their mind and include a general chat channel?

If you spent any time in a real mmorpg like EQ, or Vanguard, or Dark Age of Camelot, etc., you'd realize that GW2 while it's going to be a fun game is NOT, not I repeat, an mmorpg.  I have said this countless times.  Still people respond with things like, "you level," or," lots of people play so..." 

It's not an mmorpg.  You don't have massive bg fests against your own races and classes unless (a) the dev team is underimaginative and lazy (b) it's just a video game where lore is just a bit of splash for the 10% who still read.

Enjoy the game for what it will be, a modern version of Guantlet, where Elf vs Elf is the norm.  It's a fun massively multi player video game.

Not having a general chat is yet another example of the game designers reminding you of this (in their own aloof way).  And to be honest, to the OP, with the state of communities in massively multi player games, I have no interest in the general chat channel.  I have to shut the thing off as it is in the so called theme park mmorpgs.  Otherwise while I am pretending there is lore, I will have to read about boobz and penis jokes.

See you all in GW2 :)

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

BAsically i get a bit turned down by some of Arenanets decisions. This is one of them.

They say they want to build a community and have server pride, but then they give people no tools to do so..

Global chat is needed for...

- Getting people to join a loosing battle in WvWvW  (This can be done automatically by a server broadcast)

- finding groups, since there is no LFG tool, groups for structured PvP, and groups for instances (there should be a LFG tool, I agree)

- Coordinating your whole zones attacks in WvWvW. (This should be done like a LFG tool, where there is a leader that can kick out folks that spam gold, guild invites, spout drunk gibberish...etc)

- Contacting guilds (use forum)

- Building a server wide cohesion in the WvWvW attempts. (This can be done automatically by a server broadcast)

- asking questions when there is noboddy that knows in guild chat.  (use forum)

- Meeting people in the PvE zone where you are, and talking to them, since people obviously dont group anymore for DE content (you can do this via zone chat)

-and the list goes on and on.

All the game design so far makes it really neccesary to add it, otherwise the community will never grow past a bunch of individuals and people that only communicate with their guildmates.

MAybe they are the big evil, and they made this decision with only one thing in mind, selling as much as possible loudhailers through the store.

The only downside from global chat is the goldsellers. This could easilly be overcome by a banvote mechanisme.

See red.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Language is abused.

Internet is abused.

Children are abused.

Do you want to forbid speech, internet and children as well?

In a way we already do. There is proper/improper use of language with legal consequences. Can't yell bomb on a plane or fire in a theatre. There are laws regulating use of language in public spaces (tv, schools, public property, etc).

The internet is already being regulated and will soon be much more regulated, once SOPA and PIPA (or similar laws) are passed (they will eventually be passed, just give it time).

Children themselves are not regulated but where they can go and what all they can do is. Curfew, legal age limitations, etc. Those who abuse children are severely punished and restricted for life! (electronic ankle bracelets, living restrictions near school zones, etc)

Anet has the right to regulate/control/create their own game as they so desire. It is their personal/private (virtual) property.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by Comaf

Originally posted by Vortigon

I think the decision not to have any kind of global or general chat is wrong.

Fair enough their are trolls abound in general chat sometimes, but it's also an important part of online gaming to interact with people, and I have had some great laughs in general chat and I would miss not having it.

The local chat in GW2 is only a small area around your character so how do you interact and ask for assistance outside your immediate area?

So would like to see GW2 change their mind and include a general chat channel?

If you spent any time in a real mmorpg like EQ, or Vanguard, or Dark Age of Camelot, etc., you'd realize that GW2 while it's going to be a fun game is NOT, not I repeat, an mmorpg.  I have said this countless times.  Still people respond with things like, "you level," or," lots of people play so..." 

It's not an mmorpg.  You don't have massive bg fests against your own races and classes unless (a) the dev team is underimaginative and lazy (b) it's just a video game where lore is just a bit of splash for the 10% who still read.

Enjoy the game for what it will be, a modern version of Guantlet, where Elf vs Elf is the norm.  It's a fun massively multi player video game.

Not having a general chat is yet another example of the game designers reminding you of this (in their own aloof way).  And to be honest, to the OP, with the state of communities in massively multi player games, I have no interest in the general chat channel.  I have to shut the thing off as it is in the so called theme park mmorpgs.  Otherwise while I am pretending there is lore, I will have to read about boobz and penis jokes.

See you all in GW2 :)

Okay, you have an interesting definition for an MMORPG.  

So an mmo isn't an mmo if people can't kill each other lol.  Okay, I need you to look at the 4 decades of RPGs.  Name a solo RPG where you could elect for your own party members to kill one another? Just one.  I can't find one. Not one.  

I know what greedy publishers have let the genere mutate into, but at its heart, an MMO is suppose to be a traditional RPG (questing, fighting bad guys, good story, ) where you can play with your friends instead of NPC party members.  

WvW is described for what it is, it barely has a story , but can best be explained as a interdimensional contest between versions a dimension.  

The actual PVE contest has you going against a variety of different enemies.  Doesnt matter their race.  

Originally posted by garretth

BAsically i get a bit turned down by some of Arenanets decisions. This is one of them.

They say they want to build a community and have server pride, but then they give people no tools to do so..

- Getting people to join a loosing battle in WvWvW  (This can be done automatically by a server broadcast)

- finding groups, since there is no LFG tool, groups for structured PvP, and groups for instances (there should be a LFG tool, I agree)

- Coordinating your whole zones attacks in WvWvW. (This should be done like a LFG tool, where there is a leader that can kick out folks that spam gold, guild invites, spout drunk gibberish...etc)

- Building a server wide cohesion in the WvWvW attempts. (This can be done automatically by a server broadcast)

- Meeting people in the PvE zone where you are, and talking to them, since people obviously dont group anymore for DE content (you can do this via zone chat)

All the game design so far makes it really neccesary to add it, otherwise the community will never grow past a bunch of individuals and people that only communicate with their guildmates.

MAybe they are the big evil, and they made this decision with only one thing in mind, selling as much as possible loudhailers through the store.

The only downside from global chat is the goldsellers. This could easilly be overcome by a banvote mechanisme.

See red.

I doubt this list goes on and on, 4 of the things mentioned are the same thing, communicating WvW stuff.  There is a wvw window that shows the current score, if people are interested they will join, I don't want to be hammered to vote.  

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by joocheese

Language is abused.

Internet is abused.

Children are abused.

Do you want to forbid speech, internet and children as well?

In a way we already do. There is proper/improper use of language with legal consequences. Can't yell bomb on a plane or fire in a theatre. There are laws regulating use of language in public spaces (tv, schools, public property, etc).

The internet is already being regulated and will soon be much more regulated, once SOPA and PIPA (or similar laws) are passed (they will eventually be passed, just give it time).

Children themselves are not regulated but where they can go and what all they can do is. Curfew, legal age limitations, etc. Those who abuse children are severely punished and restricted for life! (electronic ankle bracelets, living restrictions near school zones, etc)

Anet has the right to regulate/control/create their own game as they so desire. It is their personal/private (virtual) property.

Yes, THAT is what we do, we REGULATE things, we don't forbid their existence!

And your control is the ignore button.

This is all so absurd and unreal. In SWTOR, I am so pissed, because NOBODY uses General Chat anymore, NOBODY does the heroic group quests anymore, all afraid that some unwanted things may happen, all in their comfortable solo bubble. You know, once that develops in Real Life, humanity will die out, because we all stay safe in our solo comfort zone. Great.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by dontadow

See red.

I doubt this list goes on and on, 4 of the things mentioned are the same thing, communicating WvW stuff.  There is a wvw window that shows the current score, if people are interested they will join, I don't want to be hammered to vote.  

So what are we talking about here, the fact that you can use 10 other tools to do something that can be done using one tool (general chat).  Sure you can complicate things as much as you like to avoid using general.

Originally posted by snapfusion

See red.

So what are we talking about here, the fact that you can use 10 other tools to do something that can be done using one tool (general chat).  Sure you can complicate things as much as you like to avoid using general.

You're forgetting that with all that going on in general it becomes chaotic....and that causes some folks to turn it off altogether.  

• crossfire3crossfire3 Member Posts: 13

See red.

Hmm lets see I could post in general chat and get an answer for a question I have in a matter of seconds or I could post something in a forum and get an answer for a question I have in what could take hours., let alone if I want a further explanation then I would have to repost and wait even longer.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I'm one of the ones that always turns general chat off during prime time but i turn it back on during off hours.  I'd rather have the option.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Yea, I don't get the point of removing General chat. Give people an option to turn it off and problem solved. Why remove it completely?

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I've met several very good IRL friends in GC. They (or I) had a question or a comment and we just hit it off. Several of them remain out of game friends after several games and several years have now passed.

Of course you get idiots in GC but when you do, you switch off and/or switch to a diff channel for a period of time.

I think not having it will decrease the social value of the game, but thats just my opinion.

• WhyspreWhyspre Member UncommonPosts: 64

Originally posted by wowfan1996

Originally posted by Loke666

The alternative would to have a OCC which only high level characters can accesslike Lineage, but I prefer none at all.

How is this an alternative at all and what's wrong about playing a low level character?

meh - low levels toons come and go, high level folks have embraced the concept and as much as anything, stand as senior reps in community... low levels remind me of puppies that jump and slobber all over you [when they aren't trying to mount your leg ;)

Totally agree with the idea of individual ignore vs whole channel delete - though, if we extend the Lineage example, you will still have LOCAL - not GLOBAL shout... so you will be able to poll for groups, guilds etc.. just not EVERYWHERE....

ras

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by gestalt11

I think in  general MMOs are well served when they follow normal socialization patterns.  There is no global chat in real life.  But people can get onto various platforms to communicate with lots of random people (forums, bars, etc).

I think you will get less strange things like gold seller spam if you follow this sort of pattern.  The fact that Aion's starting areas were completely taken over by gold sellers on release is an indication that global chat in an area really isn't designed right.

You want to talk to alot of people go use a thing (in game application) that is meant for such things.  You want to talk to people in the zone about doing stuff in the zone tells work great for that and general chat actually doesn't.  You want to find a team, group finder tools work better than general chat.  Having genereal chat actually often makes a group finder tool not even get utilized because that is what people are used to using.

General chat is a cumbersome and in-elegant semi-solution to many things.  It should be chopped up into its important parts and made into separate components that satify all these needs in ways that work well.  Right now in many games its a half-ass solution to 5 things.

Really?  So Twitter and Facebook wouldn't be equivalent to global channels?  How about youtube?  Seriously, you people need to get a grip on your impulse to control how others play games and chat within them.

Originally posted by crossfire3

See red.

Hmm lets see I could post in general chat and get an answer for a question I have in a matter of seconds or I could post something in a forum and get an answer for a question I have in what could take hours., let alone if I want a further explanation then I would have to repost and wait even longer.

Only a dying game gives yo ua slow answer in the forums. You are bound to get not only a better answer in the forums, but at least from more official sources.  

I am glad a good many folks found friends in a chat rooms in MMOs, but there just feels like ther are better places in the world for this function.  Should we add match style profiles as well?  A/S/L? 

Not making light of the situation, but at some point you ahve to think, what is the function of this game and what has it mutated into.  Chat rooms, and Gold Shops? 

If you're online playing a game, shouldn't you be playing the game.  Why can't you make friends in the game?  It just seems wierd. I've never made a friend in General chat when i had it on.  I use to ask questions, you get 10 responses, 9 wrong, half of those vulgar  and the right one you have no idea.  There's no way of checking someone's authentity. Its a poor place to find answers.  

Yes, the anonomous social, chat roulette like aspect of MMOs will diminish. Taking its place will be a more fulfilling social method, going out and doing things with people and making friends that way.  You can stay home and troll chat rooms all night, or go out to a bar and kill some centaurs and meet friends. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by crossfire3

See red.

Only a dying game gives yo ua slow answer in the forums. You are bound to get not only a better answer in the forums, but at least from more official sources.  

I am glad a good many folks found friends in a chat rooms in MMOs, but there just feels like ther are better places in the world for this function.  Should we add match style profiles as well?  A/S/L? 

Not making light of the situation, but at some point you ahve to think, what is the function of this game and what has it mutated into.  Chat rooms, and Gold Shops? 

If you're online playing a game, shouldn't you be playing the game.  Why can't you make friends in the game?  It just seems wierd. I've never made a friend in General chat when i had it on.  I use to ask questions, you get 10 responses, 9 wrong, half of those vulgar  and the right one you have no idea.  There's no way of checking someone's authentity. Its a poor place to find answers.  

Yes, the anonomous social, chat roulette like aspect of MMOs will diminish. Taking its place will be a more fulfilling social method, going out and doing things with people and making friends that way.  You can stay home and troll chat rooms all night, or go out to a bar and kill some centaurs and meet friends. 

A wiser man as myself once said to me, you can only shield yourself from experience. You can't shield yourself just from bad experience. You can isolate yourself, fearing to meet bad people. But you will remain alone as the result.

I think that is worth pondering.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Edit: Nvm, seems like this game is having general chat afterall, kinda misleading topic perhaps.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Def no.. I always switch it off anyways. To many asshats.

I find your lack of faith in the GW2 community... disturbing.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Elikal

A wiser man as myself once said to me, you can only shield yourself from experience. You can't shield yourself just from bad experience. You can isolate yourself, fearing to meet bad people. But you will remain alone as the result.

I think that is worth pondering.

I doubt that wiser man had videogames in mind when saying that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by gestalt11

I think in  general MMOs are well served when they follow normal socialization patterns.  There is no global chat in real life.  But people can get onto various platforms to communicate with lots of random people (forums, bars, etc).

I think you will get less strange things like gold seller spam if you follow this sort of pattern.  The fact that Aion's starting areas were completely taken over by gold sellers on release is an indication that global chat in an area really isn't designed right.

You want to talk to alot of people go use a thing (in game application) that is meant for such things.  You want to talk to people in the zone about doing stuff in the zone tells work great for that and general chat actually doesn't.  You want to find a team, group finder tools work better than general chat.  Having genereal chat actually often makes a group finder tool not even get utilized because that is what people are used to using.

General chat is a cumbersome and in-elegant semi-solution to many things.  It should be chopped up into its important parts and made into separate components that satify all these needs in ways that work well.  Right now in many games its a half-ass solution to 5 things.

Really?  So Twitter and Facebook wouldn't be equivalent to global channels?  How about youtube?  Seriously, you people need to get a grip on your impulse to control how others play games and chat within them.

Not really. 

Facebook only includes friends you have invited or accepted.

Twitter - not familiar with it ... someone else could speak to that.

You tube - I surf it but don't HAVE to watch anything accept what I choose.

The difference is that Facebook, Twitter, etc are focused on chat exclusively...how about if i interrupt Facebook chat with my gameplay?  It would be silly and not well appreciated.

There is local zone chat...which will enable folks to communicate with others.  This makes most sense for LFG, and zone alerts anyway...and even asking for info on the particular zone you're hunting in.   All zones should have a mix of levels...so you will find more experienced players in all zones for helpful advice.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Originally posted by seniorfrito

I love the idea of no general chat.  Makes for a much more realistic experience.  So instead of people spamming LFG or LTB or LTS, you actually have to grab peoples attention.  You'll have to run around and say unique things like "Hey!  You with the shirt!  Wanna group with me?"  I'm all for no general chat.

I agree that it lends to a more interactive environment. I will have to travel to different towns to sell/buy wares and find groups for things instead of being able to just ask in a world channel.

I voted 'No' because I think it's pretty 'Roleplay' oriented and that I never use world/general chat in MMOs anyways.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.