Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The beta character carry-over

Hi Guys

I was talking to a friend of mine and he never heard of beta character carry overs. He was almost offended, that a game developer could do such a thing.

However, I want to know which games you remember to have carry-overs from the beta?

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

All betas need character wipes. It helps weed out those that are only in the game to play...not test.

• SuffurSuffur Member UncommonPosts: 24

If your referring to TERA i was shocked when i heard it. I wouldnt say offended, more like in utter disbelief. I will be leveling on the beta and will take advantage of it but ive never hard of it happening in MMO releases.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

I have beta (closed) tested a lot of MMO's. I've also done some alpha testing. I've only purchased a few games that I have beta'd but none I have tested and/or purchased have had a character carry over. At the most you sometimes get to save your name as a thank you but not always.

edit: what bigsmiff said. I agree totally. 

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• fissehansfissehans Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Suffur

If your referring to TERA i was shocked when i heard it. I wouldnt say offended, more like in utter disbelief. I will be leveling on the beta and will take advantage of it but ive never hard of it happening in MMO releases.

Well, wasnt referring to TERA. TERA isn't the only game I know that for sure, but I cant remember other games doing it. Whether or not characters should be wiped is not the topic. I see pros and cons for both.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I've seen it both ways.  There was a carryover in Runes of Magic.  

This is usually a sign of a game company sacraficing a bit to have a quick instant boost in player population. As a player, it allows you to see players that are at higher level.  

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Some people confuse Closed Beta with Open Beta it seems.   OB is not a test so why not keep that which you worked for.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

SW:TOR has a week long head start and its accepted

Tera has no character wipe after open beta with a level cap and its shocking

Go figure

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

A lot of free to play games do it. Usually only in open beta though. Tera is the only P2P game I have seen that has done it so far.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

Most of the MMO I've played carried over the OB characters.  I can't really think of one that I continued playing after OB that didn't...

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by Panther2103
    A lot of free to play games do it. Usually only in open beta though. Tera is the only P2P game I have seen that has done it so far.

Lineage 2
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Beta characters would be at a complete advantage in a live game, they should never be carried over, the only thing a player should carry from a Beta is the experience and knowledge gained to aid them in the live game, for most beta testers, that is more than enough.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Panther2103

Lineage 2

I started Lineage 2 in C2 so I didn't have a chance to play open beta :/

• KalimniKalimni Member UncommonPosts: 74

Like a previous poster said, a lot of F2P games do it. Especially F2P games ported over from one of several asian countries, and transcribed into bad english. But a lot of those also stay in "open beta" for months or years even (I actually found one that was still listed as OB, but had been so for 3 years) AND they charge people money for CS items. Its usually a ploy to be able to get money from the p[ayers, but have an excuse for the unfinished systems, bugs, and sloppy translations.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

It depends some on what the beta is there to test.  If it's "the game isn't out yet anywhere in the world, we know there are bugs somewhere, and we want you to find them", then that's a very different sort of beta test from "the game has been out for two years somewhere else and the fixable launch bugs are long since fixed, but we just want to know if our servers work and if we botched some translations".