Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 the melting pot of MMO

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Lucioon

GW2 didn't reinvent MMO, they aren't introducing anything new to the Genre, but what they are doing is combining everything that was fun, everything that was innovative in other games and bring them together and evolve them to fit their game.

I came across a post where someone was discussing whether or not GW2 is Innovative, and introducing anything NEW.

And someone posted that everything that existed in GW2 existed in a form in every other MMO But they were never all in a single game before. And I believe thats Why GW2 is so popular and will stay popular.

Dodge mechanic - DDO and Vindictus, TERA

W v W - DAOC RvR

Dynamic Events - Rift

Personal Stories - SWTOR

Melting Pot is not a bad description at all. At the themepark park level GW2 does great things:-

1. Progression/Levels: Level Curve = Flattened vs Exponential Grind

2. Progression World Structure: Personal Story Backbone branching persistence + Dynamic Events ribs to breathe living world into the game.

3. Main Content: Dynamic Events = evolved form of PQs and fully supplanting quests vs rift side content eg.

4. Personal Story for x5 races with x3 major arcs and various instancing and group content for this dungeon esque with speech competes competitively ie only SWTOR could be atm more story-intensive?

5. Combat - action, movement eg dodge roll, break with HT, weapon skill bar system etc

6. Lore is very highly developed eg Sylvari go the extra step to innovate elf archetype choice

7. structured pvp (ideas from TF2, LoL, GW) and world pvp (ideas from daoc) all in one game : )

8. B2P + 1. de-emphasis on grind + endgame raids and splitting of server populations and premier subs vs freemium subs eg. All population can interact/same side in PvE and PvP. Guilds extends this idea multiple guilds.

9. ArenaNet seem to date to have a good track-record with little dropping the batton - and their blogs and info on the game are exactly what mmorpg players anticipating 5yr dev for a game deserves. : )

10. Good conditions for player community & future of game and options for different players pve, lore, pvp - expansions/dlc,mt to keep updating the game ie B2P + more for players wanting more: they choose to pay for the next instalments. : )

etc...

If you take the above and compare to a lot of themepark mmorpgs, compare (at least on paper) favorably. Even the assets such as graphics (art) and music (J Soule) are great also.

A lot hinges on the combat quality and I hope this area proves really well designed. My biggest concern is how successful the DE content is for players. But expectations should be better met with price point. : )

....etc...

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

GW2 have 8ft tall shapeshifting northernes wielding flamethrowers

And Charr shooting bazzokas

And Shatterer

other games don't

that's what really matters

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Pigozz

GW2 have 8ft tall shapeshifting northernes wielding flamethrowers

And Charr shooting bazzokas

And Shatterer

other games don't

that's what really matters

And Cowtapult http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=opVi5m1Vuy4#t=290s

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

I read, or watched an interview with an Anet dev, who talked about how they took what they thought were good/fun ideas from other mmo's, RPG's, first person shooters, and other genres and incorporated those with there own ideas.  What's wrong with that?  Sounds like a damn good idea to me.  I don't know how many times I've been in a game where I thought, "this game would be even better if it had concepts from any number of other games."  We all have I'm sure.  But of course there's no pleasing the detractors.  "they just stole this from _________, nothing innovative about that."  What's that old saying?  "You can lead a troll to logic, but, you can't boost his IQ."

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

For those sharing the OP's opinion, I have a question.

If you go to buy new tires and they try to sell you their 'new innovating tire' that has a tread design which excels under water conditions without losing performance else where... do you criticize and argue that it's not innovative because the tire is circular and 'tread patterns' have been done to death and existed for ages?

I suppose they should be reinventing the wheel, right?

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by GWFandaddy

I read, or watched an interview with an Anet dev, who talked about how they took what they thought were good/fun ideas from other mmo's, RPG's, first person shooters, and other genres and incorporated those with there own ideas.  What's wrong with that?  Sounds like a damn good idea to me.  I don't know how many times I've been in a game where I thought, "this game would be even better if it had concepts from any number of other games."  We all have I'm sure.  But of course there's no pleasing the detractors.  "they just stole this from _________, nothing innovative about that."  What's that old saying?  "You can lead a troll to logic, but, you can't boost his IQ."

Bada bing Bada boom check mate.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Guild Wars 2 has been in developement for 7 years.It's not like they started to work on Dynamic Events after Rift released, same with the other games.  

Sorry but nothing of what you state is true.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Originally posted by Mavacar

And Cowtapult http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=opVi5m1Vuy4#t=290s

Thats 'Cattlepult' ;)

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

GW2 didn't reinvent MMO, they aren't introducing anything new to the Genre, but what they are doing is combining everything that was fun, everything that was innovative in other games and bring them together and evolve them to fit their game.

I came across a post where someone was discussing whether or not GW2 is Innovative, and introducing anything NEW.

And someone posted that everything that existed in GW2 existed in a form in every other MMO But they were never all in a single game before. And I believe thats Why GW2 is so popular and will stay popular.

W v W - DAOC RvR

Dynamic Events - Rift

Personal Stories - SWTOR

Melting pot, by defiinition, means the merging of many things to make something that is more than just the sum of its parts.  I think GW2 does that.  I agree with you for the most part here.

However, I think the reason GW2 will be popular isn't because it uses the best features of other games, but because the game designers had a strong sense of what they wanted their game to do, which is allow players to play in a cooperative manner like never before.  This is definitely the most innovating thing GW2 does, and it is the driving logic behind just about everything else in the game.  The game is also pretty fun to play, which helps.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Fion

Originally posted by Mavacar

Thats 'Cattlepult' ;)

Just trying to stur a little ;)

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

the dynamic event are unlike dynamic events in other games, they got layers

the auction house is unlike other auction houses, you can sell from anywhere

the RvRvR is unlike other RvR, its 3 servers on open world maps

the personal story you go to your personal city within the capital, that changes according to your choices 

you forgot the quest grind from other games, where quest NPCs guide you to next area, and next area, and next area.  In GW2 you quest in a much different way, like never before.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by steeler989

W v W - DAOC RvR

Dynamic Events - Rift

Personal Stories - SWTOR

Now many can argue with this. The "Rifts" Would come up in the same place, be the same thing, and people could just farm on them (Like I did : P )

GW2 has ACTUAL Dynamic Events, that people don't know what will come up and where.

GW2's DE's are anything but dynamic. It's a cyclical flow chart of events

People are going to give GW2 original credit for something DEs are not from now until the end of mmorpgs.  You can't change their minds.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Cavod

I really hate this "if a game has a minor pale resemblance of it, it's not innovating".

Calling Rift's system 'dynamic events' feels inaccurate after seeing what a GW2's dynamic events look like.  With the leeway we're giving Rift we may as well credit WAR for dynamic events... and we all know how much of a stretch and silly it'd be to say PQs were dynamic events.

MMOs aren't created overnight, they take years to build.   We don't know who truly originated the idea of dynamic events and I take protest to crediting the 'first joker who puts out something along the bare minimum lines' as the 'innovator'.

Disclaimer: I'm not calling Trion a 'joker'(that was generalized) nor am I knocking Rift.  I'm not a currently subscriber but it's definitely a decent game worth it's sub price.

You are basically saying Arena Net came up with dynamic events...

And you totally just did...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by steeler989

W v W - DAOC RvR

Dynamic Events - Rift

Personal Stories - SWTOR

Now many can argue with this. The "Rifts" Would come up in the same place, be the same thing, and people could just farm on them (Like I did : P )

GW2 has ACTUAL Dynamic Events, that people don't know what will come up and where.

GW2's DE's are anything but dynamic. It's a cyclical flow chart of events

People are going to give GW2 original credit for something DEs are not from now until the end of mmorpgs.  You can't change their minds.

DEs are what they are.  If another game comes along and makes an even more dynamic questing system, that does everything that GW2's DEs do and more, then that will be the big new thing for a while.

For now, though, we have GW2's DEs and they seem pretty fun to me.  Personally, I am satisfied that Anet managed to put other things (reknown hearts, skill point challenges, waypoint hunting, map exploration, which was previously known as cartographer in GW1) in that will satisfy my completionist urges without messing with the public nature of DEs.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by RizelStar

Originally posted by GWFandaddy

Bada bing Bada boom check mate.

I agree. There just is no pleasing some. Wonder what will be complained about or over analyzed next? I feel the team has done enough for the game to differentiate itself from what the other 6+ years of MMO's have been doing that it cannot be labled a clone but others still find ways to make an argument. I can sorta see where the OP was coming from but I don't agree.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    It would be more correct to say its the melting pot of Themeparks, not MMOs.
  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

okay, didn't realize how some can take GW2 a Melting pot a bad thing.

I did state that because it contains so many different aspects from everything that existed and those that they took was what was fun. IT will make it very popular.

And thats not a bad thing.

All it came down to is MMO is meant to be fun, by taking everything thats fun, GW2 will be fun.

So why is it so wrong for GW2 to evolve those concepts that it took.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

GW2 has been in development for almost 5 1/2 years and they've been openly discussing many of the game's features for a few years now, so the first mistake one can make is to assume that X feature was copied from Y MMO that came out in the last year.

Dynamic Events are clearly a much more evolved form of intermittent content than WAR public quests or Rift's Rifts. PQs were static, three stage events that repeated over and over on a very tight time schedule. Players could succeed or fail, but player actions never influenced the game world, caused the PQ to branch and none effected other PQs. Rifts aren't much different than PQs. Rather than repeating every 10 minutes, the schedules are less predictable and if enough Rifts are not defeated, an invasion can result, but that is still very simplistic vs. what GW2 Dynamic Events and Meta Events look to offer.

Even if one insists on drawing parallels, GW2 is the first MMO or even RPG I'm aware of that has utilized Dynamic, branching content as the main form of PVE content, replacing the traditional quest system found elsewhere.

Other games have attempted to add an action element to MMORPG combat, but none have designed character skills in a way where most skills do more than just provide raw damage and where the proper situational, tactical use of skills in combat are important in managing combat encounters.

Removal of the traditional Trinity of Tank/Spank/Heal also have a huge impact on comabt in the game as encounters are no longer rendered completely predictable due to their need to cater to the narrow strategic "challenge" that a Trinity centric game design requires.

Which other MMOs follow a flat leveling curve? Which others offer a branching personal story? Which other MMOs dynamically scale down your level for lower level regions, while still awarding you XP and loot appropriate for your true level? Which other MMOs offer a downed state? Or a system where half your skills are linked to your weapon set? Or replace mob tapping with a system that rewards all players combating a mob as much XP and loot as they would have received fighting it solo? Which offer structured PVP as a seperate mode of play, while supporting casual play, informal player created tournaments along with formal team based tournaments that can last a week, a month or a year? A structured PVP system where everyone is max level, with max stats, max gear and where skill is what matters most, not gear you aquired through some gear grind? The list goes on...

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

so if WvW pvp really is instanced.im assuming they do in fact have actual world pvp right

meaning i can grab some buddies,go out into the world and just start slaughtering people? cuz one of the things thats pretty much a huge negative check mark to me in my current mmo is the fact they pretty much scrapped real world pvp

im still kinda meh on the whole dodge system thing though but i dont know.the upcoming beta has no nda so maybe the best time to start askin about aspects im unsure of would be whenever that beta is

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Torvaldr

RIFT didn't invent dynamic events either.  They were around before that in older games, but were generally relegated to periodic event periods.  Trion just improved upon and iterated the idea of a dynamic event.  This is what ANet is doing with them.  Hopefully Trion and others will take the ideas of incorporating quest chains into their dynamic events and push the idea even further.

And where is the public grouping feature or incentive for doing the public events? As I am sure Trion could tell you the incentive has to be enough to make people leave the cities or want to log on. GW2 events at end game from the look do not do any of these things.

This is where the sorry excuse of the game is B2P and if you do not like just wait for the next content patch or some crap. B2P is a complete and utter failure system of a payment model. ArenaNET can say screw you and we do what we want and answer to noone.

Tell me one thing. 7 million copies sold and barely 100k actually still playing actively. If TOR, WoW, or Rift had launched without jumping everyone would have unsubbed instead of paying for that crap which would have forced ArenaNET to actually add one of the most basic gaming features in history.

swtor actually isnt doing to well to be honest

the pvp has been a joke for a while now.and world pvp? its pretty much gone now,and i doubt it will ever be worth doing.in terms of pve it looks ok and community well.its pretty much got the same garbage quality of people that world of warcraft had

not to mention the main argument is,the games great from 1 up to 49.but when you actually get to level cap,its pretty much a complete disaster

in terms of b2p though.i dont really know how that works,but honestly.as long as the game has world pvp,and the future of pvp actually looks bright and not thrown on the back burner to other aspects of the game then i honestly dont care how b2p is

plus theres not a whole hell of alot of options in terms of quality mmorpgs out anyway.so might as well take what you can get

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by BadSpock

Calm down there Sparky. I'm not knocking it, it's definately a step forward. But I don't think they are properly labeled. True dynamic content cannot be scripted. At least not with today's current technology. True Dynamic Content is generally player based content. 

This is very true.

Agreed, which reminds me of what STO promised, dynamic away missions.

I was so pumped about this, they claimed to have built this program that could generate completly dynamic missions, you would never see the same one twice.

Too bad they never got it to work, that would have been sweet!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Rift didn't have dynamic events.  It had monster spawners that could NOT be failed.  They would either stay up until all the monsters were beaten or go away.  GW2's events can be failed, thus far more dynamic because the chain can break at any point and go in another direction where one can either succeed or fail again, and again, etc.  Also, Tera may have dodging but it's not the game that's going to popularize the mechanic.  Essentially you're correct though, the GW2 devs are big fans of older MMOs and want to bring what they found fun back into the spotlight.

• DankusDankus Member UncommonPosts: 10

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

so if WvW pvp really is instanced.im assuming they do in fact have actual world pvp right

meaning i can grab some buddies,go out into the world and just start slaughtering people? cuz one of the things thats pretty much a huge negative check mark to me in my current mmo is the fact they pretty much scrapped real world pvp

im still kinda meh on the whole dodge system thing though but i dont know.the upcoming beta has no nda so maybe the best time to start askin about aspects im unsure of would be whenever that beta is

What they have is exactly like DAoC.  You cannot attack people in your home world.  In DaoC, my first MMO, the home world was safe.  You had to go past doors, or later on, zone into a huge Open world and PvP there.  That is exactly how GW2 is doing it.  You zone into a huge world where PvE and PvP occur with 2 other servers.  It is no different, besides the fact that the servers you meet in that world rotate after two weeks.  

Yes, in WoW on PvP servers, and in certain zones, you could attack anybody in the world but that was not even close the the main source of PvP.  It was their small, instanced, battle grounds.

In GW2, you zone into a huge zone if you will where all three sides have a territory.  You can stay close to your territory or venture into the other sides.  Honestly, it is as close to DAoC style PvP as any game since then.

As far as the dodge system, it's not perma dodge.  You have to use it wisley and timley.  You have a type of endurance bar that needs to build back up before you can dodge.  So, it's not like anybody at any time can just roll and roll and roll from attacks.  It is actually a nice feature to use in a pinch.