Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worlds Inc sues Activ-Bliz over virtual worlds patent... who's next?

CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/13/worlds-inc-explains-why-its-suing-activision-blizzard-over-world-of-warcraft-and-call-of-duty/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Call-of-Duty-Patent-Infringement-World-of-Warcraft-Worlds-Inc-NCSoft,15327.html

I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me.  What it seems is that World's Inc has a patent over 3D online virtual worlds that seems to apply to every MMO and other online games.

This could have a significant impact on MMOs and online gaming.  <theskyisfalling>

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

doubtful.  every so often some new absurd patent comes to light that involves technology.  like apple trying to pretend that it owns the patent to the general idea of a touchscreen tablet or an appstore. 

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by adam_nox

doubtful.  every so often some new absurd patent comes to light that involves technology.  like apple trying to pretend that it owns the patent to the general idea of a touchscreen tablet or an appstore. 

I was being silly about the sky is falling comment but do note this from the forbes comment section:

"The fact that Susman Godfrey (a reputable IP firm) is taking them on with a solid lead attorney, and on contingency, seems to indicate that the firm believes these patents are much stronger now than they were before and that there are infringers. They only get paid if they win or settle."

Also, NCSoft settled out of court with Worlds Inc back in 2010.

It really seems like typical legal-fu b.s. trying to get it's grubby lil hands into everything it legally can, despite reason.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

What will probably end up happening is that Blizzard will actually lose the case.

BUT, it'll be something to the effect of "Yes, you patented the door hinge, but we designed and built the House.  So here's $39.99 for 5 door hinges."

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Some lawsuits are filed in the hopes that the other side will settle just to make you go away, because it's cheaper than fighting and winning in court.  There's also a lot of uncertainty in what will happen with software patents if the case does go to court.

Software patents should be abolished.  The first one wasn't filed until 1987, and somehow the computer industry got along fine before then.  Software should still be protected by copyrights and trademarks, which are plenty enough to ensure that people who write good software can get paid for it.  Just not patents.

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Yay, another attempt to get legal rights to something like oxygen or gravity! Love those! image

And I dont mean to offend anyone with this so dont take it personally; but you americans are gaddam nuts! image

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Maybe patent trolling will be the real WoW killer.

Probably not. Their suit against NCSoft was settled years ago, however, the settlement strengthens the claim of Worlds' as rights holder.  The best defense that Activision/Blizzard will have is the ubiquitiousness of MMORPG architectual design - from server/client communication to the virtual spaces themselves. There are only so many ways that you can create a virtual space for multi-user interaction.

I don't think this will have an over arching impact on all MMORPG companies, it may only affect Activision/Blizzard if Worlds' can show that Blizzard had access to World's systems and then didn't recompensate or pay a licensing fee for the use of Worlds' systems.

There are only so many ways to make vanilla ice cream.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

Originally posted by Remains

Yay, another attempt to get legal rights to something like oxygen or gravity! Love those! image

And I dont mean to offend anyone with this so dont take it personally; but you americans are gaddam nuts! image

Not offend but yeah... it's far from 'us americans' and more like those legal crazies wanting something for nothing whenever they can get it.  Rest assured, the majority of us are getting a bad rep from these nut jobs in the minority.

on a side note...

Ha-ppy Birrrr-th day toooo y... oh wait, STOP!!!!

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Cool I guess I'll go see if Randy Farmer's blog is still active.   This should be interesting...

If you don't know who Randy Farmer is... its worth looking into.  I actually was a beta tester for Habitat.. so maybe its only interesting to me.   *grabs pop corn*

*edit*  I guess his blog isn't actively updated since they started working on the spiritual descendant of Habitat... oh well lol... I know during the NCSoft thing it was a great read.   The blog was interesting just becuase he was one of the pioneers of the tech for the MMO's we play today.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by Cavod

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/13/worlds-inc-explains-why-its-suing-activision-blizzard-over-world-of-warcraft-and-call-of-duty/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Call-of-Duty-Patent-Infringement-World-of-Warcraft-Worlds-Inc-NCSoft,15327.html

I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me.  What it seems is that World's Inc has a patent over 3D online virtual worlds that seems to apply to every MMO and other online games.

This could have a significant impact on MMOs and online gaming. 

Again?  NCsoft must have settled w/ them.    And no, it won't be anything meaningful.  The best they can hope for is for a settlement for an undisclosed amount from Blizzard just to get rid of them..  Activision has a hell of a lot more capital and sway in the US than NCsoft did, so they might just bury them in lawyers.

Worlds.com hasn't made a meaningful piece of tech in well over a decade.  I'm pretty sure the patent itself is from like 1994.  The company exists purely to put litigation into play  to leech off actual successful businesses, they're basically a vulture business.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

First I was starting to laugh...

then I remembered this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants - 2,7 million for burning herself on McDonalds coffee with one claim that "The cup had no warning label for hot beverage", don't get me wrong I'm thankful for that her medical bills were payed for and a little extra - just not 2,7 million because that's just a screwed up justice system.

So then I got sad for western mmo's cause I trust the justice system over there just as much as I would trust Sarah Palin with a copy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

What a stupid case.

I know they hope blizzard throws some nuisance change at them, but i sincerily hope blizzard just takes 1 month of subs from WoW and wipes worlds.inc off the face of the earth.

Who the hell are they? Do they make games? No! Do they make any sort of social media? No! They patent existing technology so that they can suck some fast cash out. 

The US legal system is so weak, that it even allows them to do something like that. Did blizzard create 3d worlds? Of course not, they just see the money and they think they can do it.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Quizzical

Software patents should be abolished.  The first one wasn't filed until 1987, and somehow the computer industry got along fine before then.  Software should still be protected by copyrights and trademarks, which are plenty enough to ensure that people who write good software can get paid for it.  Just not patents.

In my one goofy reply when I was talking about Randy Farmer he actually talked about this.   He said nobody patented this stuff back then for a few reasons.   Most of them were just doing something they really enjoyed doing and they never really thought about it being worth money.

Farmer was one of the two co-developers on Habitat which is where the tech "Worlds Inc" claims to own really came from.   Their patent popped up if you look it up.. I believe in the mid 1990's.   I know it was at least 10 years after Morningstar and Farmer developed it... it just wasn't patented then.

Which is the issue... Worlds Inc.. didn't create or invent anything.   What they patented was someone elses work... which as noted was done over a decade before they "patented it".   The irony being the thief is the one trying to get money out of other people for "stealing".

^^  That of course is just my point of view on it.   Tho I find it hard to see it any other way because none of the people who patented the work... ever worked for Lucas Arts (the development company for Habitat).   So they don't even have someone with hands on... to say they were part of the process.   Everything in Worlds Inc patent.. existed in Habitat... you can't invent something... after its been invented.   Nor can you own.. something that belongs to someone else... If anyone owns the tech at best it would be Fijitsu as they are the ones who bought Habitat and renamed it (they still own and operate it as Club Caribe).

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

What a stupid case.

I know they hope blizzard throws some nuisance change at them, but i sincerily hope blizzard just takes 1 month of subs from WoW and wipes worlds.inc off the face of the earth.

Who the hell are they? Do they make games? No! Do they make any sort of social media? No! They patent existing technology so that they can suck some fast cash out. 

The US legal system is so weak, that it even allows them to do something like that. Did blizzard create 3d worlds? Of course not, they just see the money and they think they can do it.

Their claim to fame is making a 2nd rate virtual world environments than range in 8-16MBs in size.  In otherwords, they don't make shit.  Since 2008, the only focus of the company has been litigation on patents.  They don't even have a technical staff.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by Draemos

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

What a stupid case.

There claim to fame is making a virtual world environment for Aerosmith.  Yes, the band.  In the 1990s...

What did they make? a win 3.1 based chat room? an irc channel?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Some lawsuits are filed in the hopes that the other side will settle just to make you go away, because it's cheaper than fighting and winning in court.  There's also a lot of uncertainty in what will happen with software patents if the case does go to court.

Software patents should be abolished.  Can imagine if John McCarthy got a patent on the IF Statment?

Back in the day, you couldn't use software as a patent and anything had to be implemented in hardware to the patent.  As the Intellectual Property movement grew, courts established a right to software patents setting a new rule of law.  20+ years ago, judges were really not savy about these things.  But ultimately the driving force behind it all was Big Business.

Just look at the Apple vs Microsoft look and feel of windowing systems court case which was lost because neither of them invented windowing systems.  Heck, neither of them were the first commercial systems with windowing.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Both copyrights and patents need to be revised but copyrights are worse imo. Patents last for 20 years max but copyright for 50-100 years (laws vary). Can you imagine using a program or a piece of code that is 20 years old?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Gee this sounds familiar, I wonder why-Oh, yeah:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/01/06/ncsoft-sued-by-worlds-com/1

It didn't work before, it won't work this time. They're a broke company looking for a hand-out, that's all.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

It didn't work before, it won't work this time. They're a broke company looking for a hand-out, that's all.

But unfortunately it did work, at least to some degree.  The second link in the OP touches on NCSoft settling out of court in 2010.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Worlds Inc is the Tim Langdell of corporations.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

But unfortunately it did work, at least to some degree.  The second link in the OP touches on NCSoft settling out of court in 2010.

It didn't. You settle out of court when you don't have a firm case. Meaning, if Worlds really thought they could win, they wouldn't be "settling" for anything.

These are multi-billion dollar companies in a multi-trillion dollar industry, it's FAR easier to just throw people some cash (they probably won't miss it) so they shut up and go away than it is to take the time (and PR) to follow a lawsuit through to the end. Many of them go on for years, and often it's cheaper to pay people off than to pay for lawyers and court fees for a prolonged court battle. 

Cost of doing business, an unfortunate truth.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

I guess you just haveto build in the relativity theroy into you rendering engine, then you are working in 4D and thus not under this patent...

I hate silly patents...

It didn't. You settle out of court when you don't have a firm case. Meaning, if Worlds really thought they could win, they wouldn't be "settling" for anything.

These are multi-billion dollar companies in a multi-trillion dollar industry, it's FAR easier to just throw people some cash (they probably won't miss it) so they shut up and go away than it is to take the time (and PR) to follow a lawsuit through to the end. Many of them go on for years, and often it's cheaper to pay people off than to pay for lawyers and court fees for a prolonged court battle. 

I'm claiming human fallibility before I go on.

What I believe happened it:

Worlds sues NCSoft

NCSoft throws a bunch of stumbling blocks in their way

Worlds works on said stumbling blocks

NCSoft settles

Worlds finishes stumbling block

Worlds pursues lawsuit

Judge throws out lawsuit based on previous settlement

That's what I got from piecing it together from multiple articles through all the legalese.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Yeah and because it's cheaper to pay these @$$hats to go away then to fight them, That's what happens. Then we as the consumer get shafted with the bill since the price of the next game has to go up to cover the loss.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Yeah and because it's cheaper to pay these @$$hats to go away then to fight them, That's what happens. Then we as the consumer get shafted with the bill since the price of the next game has to go up to cover the loss.

Exactly my thoughts/concern.  It also stifles new, lesser devs from getting started in the first place too.