Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHY OH WHY OH WHY?!?

Lets review:

1) One of the greatest IPs..the Warhammer and Warhammer 40K universe, so why is there a curse on this IP?

2) THQ made great Dawn of War and Dawn of War II games, they won awards, sold tons, yet...THQ still lost money as a whole and had to cut back, sounds like bad overpaid manager types hosed it?

3) They release Space Marine which I like, but is not really what they had originally advertised, yet they sold tons, and just like DoW II they sold tons of DLC....BUT it took way TOO long to release it. And yet again, limited classes and races...and now the game seems abandoned and the news and forums are dead and no one plays Chaos Unleashed....sound familiar?

4) Mythic/EA releases and updates a great MMO Warhammer Online, but fudges it due to limited races, classes, and weak questing, then after EA gets involved they all but abandon the game except for cheesy Real Money Store Items. All they had to do was have Open World PvP with none of the timeout lock out crap and it would have fared better. And then in typical EA fashion they abandon it.

5) Then to make matters worse EA announces they are only taking the fun parts of Warhammer Online aka PvP and releasing Wrath of Heroes, which is basically Arena PvP Warhammer. The graphics are not updated, your classes and races are limited, and there is a cheesy cash shop. WHY BOTHER?!?  Unless you are gonna update the darn thing, not just cannabilize WAR!

6) Now THQ cans Warhammer 40K Online the MMO, because it did not meet their standard for MMOs...probably a wise choice since the MMO market is unforgiving...so you had better do it right or dont do it at all! Sooooooo....what do they do?

They plan a SINGLE PLAYER GAME......nothing says company fail when you admit you cant do multiplayer at the moment.

I WANT TO CRY! I have heard that Blizzard actually was going to license Warhammer from Games Workshop, for World of Warcraft, but in the end decided not to.

CAN YOU IMAGINE, if a real company liek Blizzard had the IP for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K?

Instead of WoW and Starcraft, we would have Blizzards Warhammer and Warhammer 40K versions of these games!!!!!

I want to cry......WHY OH WHY OH WHY!?!

Comments

• manakanamanakana Member Posts: 75

Let's pray that Dawn of War 3 will be a success :) It sounds neat

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

I agree brother..I agree.....

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Originally posted by UnleadedRev

Lets review:

1) One of the greatest IPs..the Warhammer and Warhammer 40K universe, so why is there a curse on this IP?

2) THQ made great Dawn of War and Dawn of War II games, they won awards, sold tons, yet...THQ still lost money as a whole and had to cut back, sounds like bad overpaid manager types hosed it?

3) They release Space Marine which I like, but is not really what they had originally advertised, yet they sold tons, and just like DoW II they sold tons of DLC....BUT it took way TOO long to release it. And yet again, limited classes and races...and now the game seems abandoned and the news and forums are dead and no one plays Chaos Unleashed....sound familiar?

4) Mythic/EA releases and updates a great MMO Warhammer Online, but fudges it due to limited races, classes, and weak questing, then after EA gets involved they all but abandon the game except for cheesy Real Money Store Items. All they had to do was have Open World PvP with none of the timeout lock out crap and it would have fared better. And then in typical EA fashion they abandon it.

5) Then to make matters worse EA announces they are only taking the fun parts of Warhammer Online aka PvP and releasing Wrath of Heroes, which is basically Arena PvP Warhammer. The graphics are not updated, your classes and races are limited, and there is a cheesy cash shop. WHY BOTHER?!?  Unless you are gonna update the darn thing, not just cannabilize WAR!

6) Now THQ cans Warhammer 40K Online the MMO, because it did not meet their standard for MMOs...probably a wise choice since the MMO market is unforgiving...so you had better do it right or dont do it at all! Sooooooo....what do they do?

They plan a SINGLE PLAYER GAME......nothing says company fail when you admit you cant do multiplayer at the moment.

I WANT TO CRY! I have heard that Blizzard actually was going to license Warhammer from Games Workshop, for World of Warcraft, but in the end decided not to.

CAN YOU IMAGINE, if a real company liek Blizzard had the IP for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K?

Instead of WoW and Starcraft, we would have Blizzards Warhammer and Warhammer 40K versions of these games!!!!!

I want to cry......WHY OH WHY OH WHY!?!

I would venture a guess that working with Games Workshop is tough. Hell, beign a consumer of GW is tough.

True, but you would think Games Workshop would hold them to a higher standard.....seriously Wrath of Heros?.....LOL

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

because at the beginning someone very talented had a gaming vision, poured his heart and soul into it and created an outstanding gem of a game.

then, since the game was good, it had no choice but to grow and grow in popularity and in doing so it attracted the attention of people that did not care about the product in it'self but only in making money from it's popularity.

so these people bought it and tried to squeeze all they could, not realizing why the game was so succesfull in the first place. vision, heart and soul.

greed does nothing but dry the heart and bury the soul.  

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

I doubt being the producer of a WH:40k or WHFB PC game is not difficult with Games Workshop's IP restrictions (which I think how they manage their IP is good, I just absolutely refuse to play their TT games due to their poorly written rules). But it is producing a game that will play well while following what the player base wants to see as an MMO that is a nightmare.

And I am 100% in the boat that to do a properly done WH:40k MMO, there ABSOLUTELY must be at least 5 factions in the game. And we know how disastrous that could be.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

if you want to make a good Warhammer game you just can't slap a censored version of the world on top of eq7wows mechanics.

You have to look on the tabletops and the warhammer fantasy RPG and translate those mechanics into a MMO, anything else will be a failure.

Neither Mythic nor THQ got the point, you must make a Warhammer game for the warhammer fans, not Wow players.

if you take the classics fantasy RPG mechanics and just turn then into MMO mechanics you would have something that actually have the potential of getting the GW fans interested.

Let´s face it, the focus group for a Warhammer game must be warhammer fans and neither Mythic not THQ got that.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

Warhammer IP was slaughtered. I didn't know 40K MMO was canned. I gave up in Warhammer long time ago. Maybe the game will do much better as a single player game a la Halo.

I just played in the Wrath of Heroes Open Beta, for the first time after playing the closed BETA.

Here are some updated observations:

1) The Store is Genius...unfortunately it needs more cosmetic items than just skins so players can set themselves apart from others. I guess there will be more at release.

2) The first map I played on  gives a bad 1st immpression...a small arena, however the 2nd map capture the flag is bigger and makes a very very positive impression.

3) Gameplay is fast paced and fun IF you took the time to understand what your supposed to do.

4) Graphics look kind of updated....at least the environment but to me not the player toons.

5) Slot machine is AWESOME for earninf stuff and fun.

6) Not enough races and classes, atm but they release them in rotation as its the BETA, cant wait for release.

7) In game radio chat for voice commands to teammates! Press a button to pick your command and it talks!

A step in the right direction, and I now love this game as the more I see the more I like and the more I play as well.

Wish I had not been so fast to give up, as it was closed BETA at the time.